At a glance:

zap.png
geng.png
clay.png
dug.png
sui.png
king.png

Intro:

Found some spare time during the pandemic lockdowns so was mucking around back on showdown, apparently just in time for the second coming of the GOAT BW team lel. Anyway, was dabbling back in ADV and wanted to do something that wasn't a bog standard skarm/bliss/pert snooze-fest. Kingdra has always been one of the most underrated pokes in ADV, so wanted to try utilise him and also breathe some new life into a take on special spam. The whole physical offense thing has been done to death, and special spam I feel is quite untapped because everyone defaults to 4x CMers. I opted for a double water offensive core, as this often blows away bulkier teams once blissey is removed from the equation.

This team is quite enjoyable to play and is ultra consistent - I managed to peak #2 on the ladder with it and can count on one hand the number of legitimate losses I had during my run. It is a fun momentum based team that requires you to be mentally engaged to get the best out of it - i.e. finding the optimal sequence of moves to position Blissey to be trapped by Dug. Anyways thought I'd share to hopefully inspire ADVers out there to use some more interesting/creative offenses, a lot of teams I encountered on my run were very passive.

In-depth:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 220 HP / 180 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic
- Protect

I opt to lead with bulky modest Zapdos because it can take on many popular leads 1v1, can sacrifice itself to chunk lead TTar to facilitate a Dug trap, and lure out the opposing special walls. I have enough bulk to survive adamant CB rock slide from Salamence and ohko back with hidden power ice. Metagross can't beat Zapdos without booming, so often I will attack first turn and then protect on the turn 2 explosion. I dont need hidden power grass on this build with cune and kingdra in the back so can get away with ice instead for the immediate ohko on flygon and better damage on celebi. The latter is easily pressured between hp ice and toxic, which gives me the free turn I often need to get dug in for the kill with hidden power bug. Toxic puts swampert on a timer so it can BS around with protect to heal, and helps ensure dugtrio can 2hko even the most defensive blissey (as i dont have sand support).

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 76 HP / 96 Atk / 152 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade
- Focus Punch
- Explosion

Gengar forms one half of my anti-Blissey core, and also acts as a secondary way to remove TTar sand. I opted for a unique physical attacking set, as most players through TTar in quite recklessly into Gengar hoping to pursuit trap. Focus punch + Night Shade kill virtually all variants of TTar, and also kills magneton that try and sponge a weak thunderbolt or ice punch. Blissey also take a huge amount from it, to the point where they stay in to attack/heal/thunderwave, and I can just explode. I carry a lot of physical bulk, which lets me stay in on Aerodactyl, +1 DD Mence/Gyara and get the will-o-wisp off. This means they have a much harder time muscling through suicune, especially with sand gone.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 128 SpD / 16 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Psychic

Dugtrio, Suicune and Kingdra both are massively disrupted by spikes, so I needed a spinner. Claydol fits the bill perfectly, as it compresses multiple roles into a single slot. With specially defensive investment, it can 1v1 gengar and get spin off reliably. It also provides a much needed electric immunity to support the double water core of my team. Utility explosion is great in conjunction with the EVs, as you can tank water stabs from all the main water dudes and take them out / put them in range of Dug trap. Extremely useful to deal with Starmie I might add. Explosion is also a good way to deal with supplementary special walls (such as snorlax and regice), as well as check dangerous sweepers like DD mence and DD gyara.

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 140 SpD / 108 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace

Dugtrio is obviously a must on a team like this, trapping TTar to remove sand, removing specially defensive celebi and jirachi, and trapping Blissey. I pumped up the bulk on my Dugtrio to never by 2hko by Blissey ice beam, so as long as I get in on a predicted switch or softboiled I can remove the blob from play. This is where toxic from Zapdos is really useful, as it creates openings for dugtrio to come in unharmed. With suicune + zapdos + kingdra on the one team, if blissey is revealed early game, I typically can double in dugtrio with little issues. Dugtrio also is a secondary electric immune, which I use as a pivot to regain momentum if Zapdos/Jolteon are threatening.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 236 HP / 116 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Suicune naturally checks many dangerous pokemon like Metagross and Salamence, but also brings offensive prowess of its own. After a calm mind it can trade versus many soft checks to kingdra, such as starmie and zapdos. It is also very good at forcing opponents into a corner and having to use explosion, which I can bring gengar into without too much fear due to its bulk. Modest is the way to go because it can muscle its way through snorlax which can be annoying for my team. Hidden power grass is my 4th move on suicune - as long as I get in first versus opposing Roar suicune I will win due to my investment in speed coupled with their inability to heal or deal much damage back in return. I also have greater crit chance against rest / crocune. This means that the onus of checking both my suicune and kingdra is often backbreaking for my opponent. Rest suicune can also be dealt with via Zapdos / explosion + dug. I also run dual hidden power grass on my waters to support zapdos, and often pick up kills versus swampert. Gyarados is checked by other members of the team anyway, so electric is more a luxury.

Kingdra @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Through the early parts of any game, it is evident who the primary win condition water should be - versus offense I position for a kingdra sweep under rain/swift swim, whereas versus bulkier teams I look to remove sand to support suicunes offense. Kingdra destroys classic Superman/TSS builds with Blissey removed, particularly if soft-checks have been weakened by Suicune. It has the bulk to basically guarantee at least 1 RD every game, and can trade with aerodactyl and DDtar in the late game. I opt for lum here to prevent any paralysis shenanigans, but lefties is good too. Even one turn of sand actually is quite harmful to kingdra, especially if you need to set up rain versus a max satk mixmence. A pick your poison type scenario really, but feel i get more utility out of lum (for now).. Kingdra is one of the tiers best late game cleaners for sure.

Last edited:

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
1. I would suggest removing shiny from Zapdos as that gives away the fact that you don't have Baton Pass.
2. Take out 16HP EVs(making your total speed EVs 152) from Kingdra and put them in speed that you can outspeed 252+ Tyranitar and always outspeed 252+ Base 60s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)