Gen 4 New here! Here's my gen 4 Pearl team

So I'm fairly new to in-depth pokemon battling strategy. I just started learning everything outside of typing, and understanding what stats do, a few months ago. I'm really just looking for a way to get started participating in the community after trying a few builds from smogon. My main focus is taking on the battle tower in pearl, I was never very good at it I'm tired of being thrashed lol. Any way, here's my team:

Gyarados aka Wormy
jolly-intimidate
ev spread: Atk-252 Spe-252 Spd-4
moves: roar, waterfall, ice fang, dragon dance
leftovers

This is the pokemon I've probably sunk most of my time and effort into. The IV's are nearly perfect. I use it as my lead in single battle tower battles. Roar is for getting rid of poor matchups and pokemon with moves that abuse rng . dragon dance obviously to setup sweep and waterfall/ice fang for coverage/STAB. I was tempted to add fireblast or earthquake to the list, but I wasn't ready to commit to using my fb tm, and I can't afford earthquake from the tower yet

Toxicroak aka Walter
jolly-anticipate
ev spread: Atk-252 Spe-252 HP-4
moves: poison jab, substitute, sucker punch, brick break
poison barb

This one has fairly good IV's. Substitute is for avoiding obnoxious status and health afflictions from the battle tower npc's. The rng is bonkers when you're confused or paralyzed in these matches, I can't stand it. I also use it for feeling out the opponent/avoiding two-turn moves like dig. Brick break isn't really a favourite in the competitive scene as far as I've seen researching Toxicroak, but it deals decent damage and I prefer the accuracy. Plus breaking through some change moves comes in handy every now and then

Garchomp aka Meep
adamant-sand veil
ev spread: Atk-252 Spe-252 HP-4
moves: sandstorm, rockslide, dragon claw, dig
life orb

Meep also has good IV's. Went through breeding for a while, but not as thorough as my gyarados. To be honest, I dont remember why I added rock slide haha. It comes in handy in doubles and I enjoy it, though I'm open to changing it to something different. I like having dig for pulling off an advantageous 2-turn attack, plus it's really useful in doubles to stall out the opponents. I'll use garchomp with a good wall and spam dig while the other pokemon target him. That way I can set up my wall (usually bronzong) without much trouble. Also worth noting; for a time I had garchomp hold lax incense to sort of stack with sand veil during sand storm. It seemed to help, but I'm not even sure what the extent of its effect was, and life orb seemed to be a better choice. I still think about incorporating it now and again, but it doesn't seem like the right call

Bronzong
serious-levitate
ev spread: HP-252 Spa-252 Spe-4
moves: iron defense, toxic, psychic, flash cannon
shell bell/leftovers

Crobat aka Vlad
rash/inner focus
ev spread: Spe-252 HP-? Atk-?
moves: poison fang, confuse ray, fly, mean look
razor claw

This was one of my first ev trained pokemon, so forgive me, I didn't document the spread. I think it was split evenly between HP and Atk

Sudowoodo aka Dag
Brave/rock head
ev spread: Atk-252 Def-56 Spd-200
moves: sucker punch, rock slide, double-edge, stealth rock
Zoom lens

And that's the team. It's also worth mentioning I just caught a houndoom and I'm raring to start breeding to add it to the team. I'll probably replace one of the last three in the team to give it a spot

If you have any advice for taking on the battle tower let me know! Or advice in general on playing competitively with this team/tips/advice on improving my builds and team synergy

Thanks for reading!

Jeong

Banned deucer.
chomp is Uber.

Toxicroak Dry Skin > Anticipate.

Special zong is a bit wasted and not worth it. You can test his physical set with SR or TR if you prefer.
Bronzong @ Occa Berry/Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Bronzong @ Macho Brace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

I would take advantage of the woodo gap and add a ttar for example. A CB or DD set may sound good depending on what your zong is like.
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower/EQ/Aqua Tail

Tyranitar @ Shuca Berry/Lum Berry/Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake/Crunch
- Ice Punch/Fire Punch

By chomp you can prove Flygon to be the perfect sub because they share the same double type as well as being immune to ground. Covers Gyara from her Electric / Rock weakness. I leave you his scarf / mix set.
Flygon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch/Toxic/Dragon Claw

Flygon @ Life Orb/EBelt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Roost/Uturn/Toxic

Adamant > Jolly Gyara with 184 speed for ttar and EQ by Roar. Nice coberture vs Empo, zone /rachi.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

I definitely agree w/ the dry skin ability for toxicroak. Unfortunately this is gen 4, and I made the mistake of training this one before double checking the ability, so I'd have to start all over. Thankfully I just upgraded to omega ruby, so abilities can be changed at this point :)

One question; what does CB DD stand for? You mentioned it regarding my sudo.

I'm weighing the pros and cons of trying an entirely new bronzong build, although I've been busy building a new omega ruby team from the ground up for the last week. The advancements since gen 4 are pretty awesome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)