New DPP Tier Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I mean, I can see the logic behind the process, but I don't think a pokémon like Yanmega should be made UU without a previous test. Nobody uses normal Deoxys in Ubers, should it go to OU?

What if everybody stopped using Scizor? Would it be UU until voted otherwise?

If something like Froslass is currently a Suspect, I don't understand how Yanmega is being allowed.
Yeah, I don't think you are fully understanding things here.

Yanmega is getting tested in a sense. When it goes to UU, people will be observing whether they think it should be banned or not. If they think it should be, they will remove it from the metagame and evaluate the findings.

Ultimately, I don't think it matters which way it's done, as the eventual outcome should end up the same. I personally much prefer doing it the way that we're doing it now.

Ubers isn't a usage tier. It's a ban tier, or a 'faux tier', rather like BL. Infact, some won't even call it a tier. If something literally never gets used in Ubers (like Wynaut), it won't drop to OU. However much an Uber gets used in Ubers, it's still too broken for OU.

And yes, if everybody did stop using Scizor, it would be voted UU until otherwize. This is because OU is a usage tier (OU means 'OverUsed'). It is determined solely by how much a Pokemon is used, so if Scizor didn't get used, it wouldn't be OU, because it, well, isn't OU! A few Pokemon aren't considered very good, but are OU, because the statistics say they are. With something like Scizor, it'd most likely be 'obviously' broken in UU, so the testing would be sped-up considerably.

Your statement about Froslass doesn't really make sense. To people who lack knowledge of competitive battling, Rampardos may seem too good for UU, and it clearly isn't. Likewize, Yanmega may seem too good, but we won't truly know how good it is until we test it.

Ok, indepth comments.

Smeargle: Going to OU was a bit more surprising than some other hopefuls such as Porygon2 and Umbreon, though it's not a complete shock. UU players are kinda hit because of his versitility in the tier, but "too bad." The primary reason for the increased usage is probably its ability to function well as a lead, seeing as how 42% of it's usage came from leading. Sleep + Spikes is a damn good advantage for a team. With Aerodactyl being virtually the only Taunt lead (everything else forgoes taunt for other options), it has a damn good chance of pulling off its strategy too. It doesn't even have to lead either; it can wait until a slower pokemon appears and pull the strategy from there (you'd be surprised how many pokemon don't pack much speed). Statistics don't entirely reflect my above reasoning, but I like to pretend a pokemon isn't OU because scrubs use it's "omg pwnage" sets. :toast:

Donphan: God damn it Donphan!

Yanmega: The drop to UU is really no surprise; there's been talks about it for awhile, and people theorymon'd it to hell (it was probably dropped in usage to spite you guys, HA). The fact that it dropped and Donphan didn't pisses me off, but I'm not going to discuss that (no seriously, how is Donphan still OU. WTMFF?). Yanmega will definitely be a key player in UU, but I have my doubts that it will be game breaking. Stealth Rock utterly destroys it, and with virtually no way to boost its special attack, it will fall short of expectations. The only problem is that if you don't get SR up, it might be a bit hard to swallow (don't expect a 6-0 against a "good" team though). Registeel and Chansey will do a good job of walling it. (Hint: Try passing Nasty Plot from Ambipom!)

NeverUsed: Hail is going to dominate, hard. Snover and Walrein are allowed, along with a plethora of other hail accessories. Abomasnow's move to Limbo really dropped hail usage, so NU will suffer until it's banned from NU. After hail is banned, Sandstorm will likely dominate with decent rock options available like Cradily and Relicanth. It won't have an easy time however; NU is far from the "most useless pokemon in the game." For a tier associated with Luvdisc and Farfetch'd, there are some damn decent pokemon there. There will be gimmick attempts to screw around with rain/sun themes and bad pokemon "just because it's NU," but after awhile it'll mold into a serious tier. Sorry folks, but if you thought you'd see the day where Flareon rips shit up, think again.

Wait a minute. Tangrowth is NU? I've used it to decent effect in OU (go Sleep Powder, Knock Off, Power Whip, Earthquake), and it was used frequently in early DP Wifi.

Some of these make no sense. . .Regice, Walrein?

Come on people, move up all the good Pokemon so Sudowoodo can finally dominate a tier (or at least make Never Never Used)!

Yeah, Donphan still hanging in there. :) It's quite amazing how it just marginally escapes UU month after month. I'm not saying it should be UU, it's just quite amazing that it doesn't fluctuate more.

Yeah, if too many people have an issue with the concept of Pokemon like Marowak being 'NeverUsed', we should probably change the name.

I don't care what the name is personally, because it doesn't mean anything in terms of the gameplay, I'm just thinking about everybody else. Also, I don't know what we'd use to name a usage tier lower than 'NeverUsed', so changing the name might be a possibility. I don't really care either way.

And with regards to Pokemon like Sudowoodo, the idea is that we'll have usage tiers to give all 500 or so Pokemon a metagame they can excel in. There'll be tiers lower than NU, where Pokemon such as Magcargo, Machoke, Togetic and Masquerain can have their fun.

However, with every usage tier we decrease by, the amount of interest in that tier will likely decrease too, hence, there may be so little interest once we get past, say, 4 usage tiers, that we won't bother going through the effort of making more.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a feeling that Yanmega is going to be too strong for UU, but I guess we'll go find that out now.

I have a feeling that Yanmega is going to be too strong for UU, but I guess we'll go find that out now.
It might be, but I'm not worried at all about it. If it's too strong, it'll be banned, and that will be fine. If it isn't too strong, it won't be banned, and that'll be fine.

Yanmega's fate is slightly dependent upon the fate of Raikou, Crobat, Froslass and friends though.

It looks like UU was more centralized then I thought :(.

X-Act, are these based on percentage usage on team or the most commonly used x number of pokemon in an enviroment for UU?

It looks like UU was more centralized then I thought :(.

X-Act, are these based on percentage usage on team or the most commonly used x number of pokemon in an enviroment for UU?
They were based off his formula, which can be found the The Policy Review.

Some people were under the impression that OU lists were basically a list of Pokemon that were used on 5% of teams or something like that, but that isn't quite how it works...

I was expecting the OUs of UU to be about this size.

Hooray, Yanmega's declined in usage! Now I don't have to screw up the rest of my team just to fit in a counter for something UU!

... is exactly what I would say if I didn't know that people still like to use UU pokes in OU play sometimes, myself included.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amazing work, you're the best, have my babies, etc.

Why are the Suspects not on the UU list? Crobat's not BL yet!

The NU tier looks to be quite interesting. Let's see here...

Slaking and Regigas are NU. that's 2 pokemon with 670 BST in NU. Awesome.

Of the 12 580 BST pokemon, Regice, Articuno and Entei are NU. I'm kind of surprised at Regice, but the other two have always been considered the bottom of the barrel for the 580s.

Of the 12 starters, Meganium is NU. Which means that overall, the starters are better than the 580s. Neat.

Flareon, Leafeon, and Glaceon are all NU. The latter two will probably be quite the threat there, but Flareon will continue to suck.

Hippopotas and Snover are both NU, along with their friends Cradily, Relicanth, Walrein, and Glaceon. That's going to be fun.

Thankfully, Happiny sucks. A lot. So no need to worry about any more of the Chansey family showing up. Still, the other NFEs are less useless, and they're all allowed except Porygon2.

I'd like to try out this new NU, although I do think "Rarely Used (RU)" is more appropriate. NU can be the tier below that, though I have no idea what kind of things would be useful there.

Also, my new NU Team:

Jumpluff (setting up sun), Scarf-Eruption Entei, Mix-sweep Manectric (with overheat, lol), Exeggcutor, Camerupt and Scarf-Rampardos.
I was thinking the same thing (a sun team, I mean). Looks like weather will be popular in NU.

Poor Yanmega..
Smeargle OU??

Also NU containing Jumpluff is crazy.
That thing is very underrated against stall teams.

@ Community: Marowak in NU feels like Mewtwo in OU, which people at least have to build a few things around it to keep themselves alive from that thing.... I think. Any comments?
Yes it does considering there is no Hippowdon or Giratina in NU.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The new NU will be the biggest tier ever made. We'll have what, 100 pokémon there? 150? 200? Unless a new tier is created between NU and UU (Rarely Used?), that is.

And poor Regice, just when he thinks he'd finally shine somewhere, Chansey sneaks in and fucks up with him. Good thing that Happiny has sucky stats...

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't wait to use Tinted Lens Specs Yanmega in UU. The only things that resist Bug Buzz in UU are Blaziken, Charizard, Moltres, and Toxicroak, and Air Slash is unresisted (apart from the Steel/Rocks and Magneton, but they are NU for a reason).

This will be fun :)

NU Comments:

Well, first off, Regice becomes the only Pokemon to jump from OU to NU ever. Even Entei was in BL. Also, I think we are about to see a very good new tier. Let's hope that Happiny doesn't screw it up for Regice. In other news, Regigigas and Slaking are both in NU. That's right, an ABILITY dropped an Uber hopeful into NU. Come on, Game Freak. I feel sad for anyone that will play NU. 160 base attack is the highest in NU and UU. Regigigas, on the other hand, will probably be a good wall. Shuckle is UU, too.

Grade- B+ Too many surprises.

UU Comments:

First off, Yanmega's in UU. This could be bad, could be good. The only worry is that Yanmega may be a little too powerful for UU. Let's hope that if it is, it gets banned. Chansey is probably going to rule UU in terms of Special Walling, you have to agree with that. Nothing much else changed.

Grade- A- Pretty good.

OU Comments:

One thing to say: Smeargle. It's in. It isn't that much of a surpise, considering how good it is, it's just that it seems like UU has lost something very good. Another thing is that Donphan stays in.That's it for OU.

Grade- A- I like it.

I reiterate: Happiny cannot outclass Regice as a special tank. It can't even outclass Munchlax as a special tank. Hmm...come to think of it, Munchlax has 135/40/85 defenses, and base 85 attack really isn't that bad. I mean, Regice's 80/100/200 is way out of its league, but it's still something to consider.

I can't wait to use Tinted Lens Specs Yanmega in UU. The only things that resist Bug Buzz in UU are Blaziken, Charizard, Moltres, and Toxicroak, and Air Slash is unresisted (apart from the Steel/Rocks and Magneton, but they are NU for a reason).

Crobat also resists Bug Buzz and can force out any Specs or Tinted Lens versions. Assuming Crobat comes back to UU, of course.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Fuck SR, this thing is going to make such a great late game cleaner it's not even funny. Just spam Bug Buzz and you're golden.

Chansey is the only thing I can think of that remotely counters this, besides random Scarfers that can't switch in.

@ Zarator: Clamperl isn't fully evolved anyways.
@ X-Act: Thanks for the update.
@ Community: Marowak in NU feels like Garchomp in OU, which people at least have to build a few things around it to keep themselves alive from that thing.... I think. Any comments?

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Marowak's downfall will always be its speed, even in NU it's among the slowest.

On a side note, I'm very glad to see Smeargle leave UU. Even though it was rarely seen, it was still gay when it was used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)