Denied NEW ARTICLE: MEGA ALTARIA ANALYSIS ~JELLALTHEMAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intro:

With the release of ORAS, several new mega will also be released. Some Pokemon have great designs, others kinda suck. It is also important to recognise that every one of the new Mega’s has its own niche, but how to take advantage of this niche is the Question.

In this report on Altaria’s New Mega Evolution, I, Jellal the Mage, will discuss the visual aesthetics of Mega Altaria, and will proceed to provide ideas for new sets on this Bird that’s not a Bird, that the Smogdex DOES NOT provide.

Aesthetics:

Design-wise, Mega Altaria is an Altaria, that has a more baby blue colour, with several nimbus clouds surrounding its body, most notably the large cloud on its back, likely making up 80% of its body mass. The clouds drastically increase Altaria’s physical defense. It has a classical wig on its head, giving it a more classical, royal appearance. Even though its not a bird (though was once, as a Swablu), it has has a beak. The overall design is nice, but Gamefreak could have done better by diversifying the colour scheme, using more pink and/or purple in various parts of its body. To summarize Mega Altaria’s appearance, it’s simplest to say “One Day, In a daycare, far far away, Furfrou and an Altaria “went at it”, and the result did not form an egg, rather a mega stone.

Competitive Analysis

Stats: HP: 80, Attack: 110, Defence: 110, Sp Attack: 110, Sp Defence:105, Speed: 80

Name: Biased-Mixed Dragon Dance

EVS: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp Attack

Nature: Naughty (+Attack, -Sp Defence)

Happiness: 0 (For Ditto Switch-Ins)

Moveset: Dragon Dance, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Frustration/Facade

Not only does Mega Altaria have respectable stats, and a unique typing, it has an amazing ability, Pixilate! Pixilate causes all Normal-type moves used by the Pokémon to become Fairy-type and receive a 30% boost in addition to all other modifiers, including STAB. Dragon Dance, gives Altaria a speed and attack boost, allowing it to sweep easily at 2x. Fire Blast, give Altaria Special Attack, helpful to handle Physical Walls, such as Skarmory. Earthquake helps counter Mega Altaria’s 2 new weaknesses; Poison and Steel. Frustration is affected by Pixilate for a 30% boost, and STAB. Facade would also work in this scenario, as if Altaria, were to be afflicted with a status condition, especially the attack dropping burn, Altaria would do even more damage than it did before. It is also gives Altaria a sense of unpredictability, so a Rotom-W would be wary of burning it.

Name: Special Attacker

EVS: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Nature: Timid (+Speed. -Attack)

Moveset: Fire Blast, Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse, Hyper Voice, Fire Blast, Roost/Ice Beam

This variant gives Altaria the niche of just tearing through teams using coverage. Dragon Pulse/Meteor, depending on which one you like better, along with Hyper Voice, give this Pokemon a powerful STAB, that only a few Pokemon Resist. Fire Blast helps annihilate Steel-Types, especially Skarmory, and Ferrothorn, which resist both of its stabs. Roost is nice for recovery over time, or by choosing Ice Beam, you give it more all “aroundness”, which can be helpful, when you most need it.

Name: Bulky Stally

EVS: 252 HP, 200 Defence, 56 Sp Defence

Nature: Bold (+Defence, -Attack)

Happiness: 0

Moveset: Heal Bell, Roost, Toxic, Fire Blast

Altaria is now given moves to compliment its new bulk. Heal Bell is helpful to get rid of any annoying status-conditions. Roost is nice for recovery, and stalling. Toxic is aided by Roost, to stall. Fire Blast helps fight of Steel Types, which resist Toxic, and pose a threat to Altaria.

THANK YOU FOR READING, NOW FOR SOME FUNNY NAME RATES FOR ALTARIA NICKNAMES, TO APPLAUD YOU FOR GETTING THIS FAR INTO THE ARTICLE
Link for More:http://pkmn.net/?action=rater&page=pokemon&cmspass[id]=334&language=nl

Melody

It likes to sing, and my Altaria is a girl; also, a synonym for melody is air, which is related to Flying

za 28 dec 2013 15:30:09 ESTby AD Troller_Shedinja

The Name Rater says...

I see we've gone for cute as opposed to creativity. Tut tut tut.

Rated: zo 20 jul 2014 04:10:31 EDT

Bird

I'M SO CREATIVE

vr 31 mei 2013 19:16:24 EDTby PureChaosZ

The Name Rater says...

The lesser known Pointer Sister's song?

Rated: vr 26 jul 2013 18:15:19 EDT

NubesAvem

NubesAvem means 'Cloud Bird' in Latin.

do 25 apr 2013 16:14:46 EDTby Stretchtail

The Name Rater says...

You know Latin and you settled for "Cloud Bird" to translate?!

Rated: ma 17 jun 2013 17:12:27 EDT

Nimbus

It just fits!

wo 10 apr 2013 19:53:51 EDTby Roguewolf1999

The Name Rater says...

I thought it flew?

Rated: do 06 jun 2013 13:26:51 EDT

Alternia

The name of the planet that the Trolls originate on in Homestuck. I misread Altaria at first as Alternia, had no other ideas for a nickname, and went with it.

wo 10 apr 2013 14:32:25 EDTby The_Void_Kitsune

The Name Rater says...

It's a good job the rest of us don't just settle with the first thing we come up with otherwise there'd be a lot of happy ugly girls out there..

Rated: wo 05 jun 2013 17:59:19 EDT

Nephelle

Nephelle means "Cloud" You can see how I came up with it. There is also Nephella, but I think that variation sounds really bad.

za 23 mrt 2013 03:36:56 EDTby Xx{RaynesFire}xX

The Name Rater says...

Ne'fell, he'fell, ne naw ne naw.

Rated: vr 31 mei 2013 07:08:23 EDT

~Jellal the Mage

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry buddy but I think this would fit in The Smog and an article is already being made of all the new Mega evolutions iirc :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)