Never Lose Hope - A B/W Warstory

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello everybody, this is Destiny Warrior with a new warstory!

2 days ago, I was on PO, playing 5th gen battles with some Smogonites and non-Smogonites over there. After a while, most people left, and I challenged Medic, one of the few people who was still there. We had a great battle, and while he used a team of OUs, he still had control over most of the match.

Unfortunately, due to a logic bomb in the source, 5th Generation Pokemon Online cannot be played for a while.

Onto the warstory itself!

Destiny Warrrior’s team:

The colors in the log are lost since using a WYSIWYG gave me a ton of problems. I'm sorry.

Battle between Medic and Destiny Warrior started!

Rule: Unrated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: No Timeout
Rule: Species Clause

Destiny Warrior sent out Deoxys-S!
Medic sent out Kojondo!
Deoxys-S is exerting its Pressure!
I’ve faced Medic once before, where he absolutely murdered my team with just Kojondo, Sazando and Burunkeru, so I’ve wised up to his strategy: U-Turn spamming to scout, then stalling with Burunkeru. I still don’t know his last 3 members however. I’m using a different team to what I’ve used in my previous battle with him, but with the same Deoxys-S. Bluffing to be using my previous team is a gamble I’m willing to take in the hope that I can catch him off-guard.

My Deoxys-S runs 3 standard moves: Taunt, Stealth Rock, Extremespeed. The last move is an unorthodox option, which I chose so as to cripple several scouting leads: Thunder Wave. It might sound like a gimmick, and it indeed is in 4th Gen Ubers, but in 5th Gen, with all these beastly new threats and buffed old ones, it actually has some use. If Deoxys-S ideally gets his setup off, I switch him out to provide Thunder Wave support later in the game. In this case however, I’m willing to sacrifice him just to get Stealth Rock up and to try and fire off a single Thunder Wave.

My move of choice over here is Thunder Wave, to cripple Kojondo and hopefully buy a turn with FP. I know fully well that he will U-Turn, but I really don’t want to expose Shanderaa (Ghost/Fire type chandelier), Kerudio (Water/Fighting type legendary) or Insekuta (Genosect, the last Pokemon in the Pokedex) this early, as he may have checks for them, and I’m relying on him thinking it’s my old team. I predict him U-Turning to Sazando, like he did in our previous game.

Start of turn 1
Deoxys-S used Thunder Wave!
The foe's Kojondo is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The foe's Kojondo used U-turn!
It's super effective!
Deoxys-S lost 200 HP! (65% of its health)
Medic called Kojondo back!
Medic sent out Sazando!
Everything went according to plan. I cripple Kojondo, epicly fail in garnering any kind of hax, and he brings in Sazando. Considering that Sazando will definitely KO with U-Turn, I realize I cannot take any chances with Thunder Wave on this, and choose to set up my only entry hazard, Stealth Rock, while I sacrifice Deoxys-S.

It’s very difficult to guess who he may bring in with this U-turn, as it will be a blind switch. I would assume it would be something bulky, maybe Burunkeru, but I can’t say for sure. Either way, I believe that I have sufficient resources to hold off any attempts by set-up sweepers to sweep at this point(Kuriedo’s Aqua Jet), so I don’t feel that he has gained too much momentum, other than basically ensuring that if he has a Rapid Spinner, and can KO any ghosts I have, he will be able to remove a major hindrance. At this point, I regret having replaced Giratina-O with Shanderaa, as it would have provided additional priority with Shadow Sneak, and would have served as an excellent Forretress check. Oh well.

I will most likely send out Insekuta, my Scarfed revenge killer after Deoxys-S, as he boasts excellent coverage with Bug Buzz, Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. This allows him to check a wide variety of things that could potentially give my team trouble, though his 99 Base Speed mean that any Scarfers whose base Speed are >=100 will have to be played around extremely cautious. Fuck troll freak, they gave him a major nerf by making his Base Speed 99.

Deoxys-S: 35%
Kojondo: 100%(paralyzed)
Sazando: 100%(known to be Scarfed)

Start of turn 2
Deoxys-S used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Medic's team!

The foe's Sazando used U-turn!
It's super effective!
Deoxys-S lost 104 HP! (34% of its health)
Deoxys-S fainted!
Medic called Sazando back!
Medic sent out Burunkeru!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Burunkeru!

The foe's Burunkeru restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Destiny Warrior sent out Insekuta!

Insekuta's Download activates!
Insekuta's Sp. Att. rose!
He brings in Burunkeru, the Pokemon most annoying to my team. I bring in Insekuta to dispatch of it with Thunderbolt and gain a very useful Download boost. Since Insekuta is so versatile that it is difficult to predict without having several of his team members revealed, I hope to bank on this as I try to KO Burunkeru while he leaves it in to scout. This could backfire if he sends out a Ground-Type, but it’s a risk I have to take.

Stealth Rock starts its job of wearing down Pokemon. Good game Deoxys, your priority Extremespeed will certainly be missed. That leaves me majorly weak to Deoxys-A though, which can’t be helped unfortunately. He hasn’t managed to scout too much so far, though he has brought down a Pokemon important to my strategy.

If I can see more of his Pokemon, I can accordingly adjust my strategy to adapt to his playstyle and beat it. I intend to attempt to do so with minimal sacrifices and conservative play, unless the situation warrants a bold prediction which I am 100% sure about.

Deoxys-S: Turned Off
Insekuta:100%(+1)
Sazando: 100%(known to be Scarfed)
Burunkeru: 94%(carries Leftovers)

Assessment of the situation
Current Numbers situation: 5-6
My team
: 0%(Revealed)(KO’d)
: 100%(Revealed)(+1)
: 100%(Unrevealed)

Opponent’s team
:100%(paralyzed)(revealed)
:100%(known to be Scarfed)(revealed)
:94%(carries Leftovers)(revealed)
:100%(unrevealed)

Momentum Possessor: Medic
Current Game plan: Find a way to stop the U-Turn abuse.

Start of turn 3
Insekuta used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
The foe's Burunkeru lost 85% of its health!

The foe's Burunkeru used Recover!
The foe's Burunkeru regained health!

I’ve locked myself into Thunderbolt, which narrowly misses out on KOing him. He’s now forced to switch, as he’s seen Insekuta outspeeds Burunkeru, and will KO an important part of his team if he doesn’t switch. I have the option of trying to predict who’ll bring in and make a switch, but I don't intend to do so.

Burunkeru reveals Recover, which proves that it’s a bulky set, and he manages to regain most of the HP lost due to my +1 Thunderbolt. Leftovers add to this healing, allowing him to survive the worst of the attack At this pint, I realize that while I was right to sacrifice Deoxys-S to scout, I’m going to miss his handy Thunder Wave support for the rest of the game.

Burunkeru is also going to be a problem, and my best way of KOing him are through Latias and Insekuta. I cannot afford to risk either of them, as both play key roles in my team.
Insekuta:100%(locked into Thunderbolt)(+1)
Burunkeru:65%(carries Leftovers)

Start of turn 4
Medic called Burunkeru back!
Medic sent out Sazando!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Sazando!

Insekuta used Thunderbolt!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Sazando lost 28% of its health!
He makes the obvious switch t Sazando, and I fail once again in trying to get him paralyzed. While it may seem like I should have taken the opportunity to switch this turn, it should be recalled that my team is extremely offensive, but lacks any Pokemon that outspeed his Scarf Sazando(other than Scarf Insekuta, who currently doesn’t count due to being locked into Thunderbolt). So I have to lure him into using an attack and then using the opportunity to bring something in on the move he uses, and use it to start setting up.

With a matchup of Sazando Vs Insekuta locked into Thunderbolt, his next move is a no-brainer. All I need to do is pull out a Pokemon that resists Fire type Attacks, and use the free turn. I have three choices: Kerudio, Shanderaa, and Latias.

Shanderaa might seem like another no-brainer considering he has Shadow Tag, but I fear a potential Dark Pulse on the switch being thrown in to wreck my plans. Kerudio is my safest option for a switch, and I make the switch to it, seeing an easy Swords Dance available with a good chance of a sweep.
Insekuta:100%(locked into Thunderbolt)(+1)
Burunkeru:65%(carries Leftovers)
Sazando: 60%(known to be Scarfed)

Start of turn 5
Destiny Warrior called Insekuta back!
Destiny Warrior sent out Kerudio!

The foe's Sazando used Flamethrower!
Kerudio lost 61 HP! (18% of its health)
Kerudio was burned!

Kerudio is hurt by its burn!
OH SHIT. I get burnhax, effectively crippling Kerudio and making it close to useless. Now while I will successfully force out Sazando like intended, Kerudio is merely fodder now, and an important part of my team is now close to useless. I need to counteract this with extremely careful play, or my opponent will manage to grab the game with both hands.

Sazando is now guaranteed to switch, which is a good thing. This buys me a free turn, which I can use for a switch, or for a Swords Dance. A Swords Dance puts me back to normal attack, while a switch could potentially force more switches, racking up Stealth Rock damage. However, after hax has hit me in the face, I’m a little less willing to try and predict, due to fear of overprediction. Conservative play is likely the need of the hour for me to recover against his onslaught.

I choose to go with Swords Dance to scout his switch. Close Combat is what I’m predicting he’ll predict me to use, so he is likely to bring in Burunkeru. A brainwave strikes me, which can potentially get me a free KO by forcing his hand, so I put it into action. It involves virtually no sacrifice from me, only pure psychological warfare.

Insekuta:100%
Kerudio:70%(burned)
Sazando: 60%(known to be Scarfed)(locked into Flamethrower)

Start of turn 6
Medic called Sazando back!

Kerudio used Swords Dance!
Kerudio's Attack sharply rose!

Part 1 of my plan. He predicted a Close Combat, and went to his safest option, Burunkeru, to try and heal up with Recover. He probably anticipates me to switch, as Burunkeru walls the standard Kerudio set(Aqua Tail/Close Combat/Aqua Jet/Swords Dance). I read him perfectly, and manage to get my attack back to normal levels.

I rack up more Stealth Rock damage, and Stealth Rock is proving to be more and more important to wear down my opponent. I’m happy I didn’t switch that time when Sazando U-Turned, as then Stealth Rock would likely not be up, meaning I would be robbed of a ton of passive damage.

The next turn, I will Swords Dance again, which is part 2 of my plan. To the standard battler, this may seem like a foolish move, as Burunkeru walls me outright, but battling isn’t so cut and dry. It extends beyond what is tangible, the situation, to some intangible elements such as psyche and bluffing. I have bluffed an extremely conservative style so far, so it is reasonable to think that he will predict a switch.

Kerudio:58%(burned)
Sazando:60%(known to be Scarfed)(locked into Flamethrower)
Burunkeru:59%(carries Leftovers)

Start of turn 7

Plan Part 2. I use Swords Dance again as he Recovers, meaning that my next turn will all hinge on whether my opponent calls my bluff. I’m predicting he won’t call my bluff, but if he does, he’s likely to be able to grip the game, and I doubt if he’ll ever let go, as Sazando is a solid Pokemon to use to revenge kill my Pokemon.

He Recovers like I expected, and I wouldn’t really fault him for that, since that was his safest move in the situation to scout my move. However, this move basically meant that he played himself into my hands by letting me read him completely. At +4 with a burn, I effectively hit as hard as I would with a CB and no boosts.

I’ve probably made him reconsider his choice of staying in by bluffing a threat of a powerful neutral attack, when I don’t really have one! Now I need to hope he falls for the bait…

Kerudio:46%(burned)
Burunkeru:100%(carries Leftovers)

Start of turn 8
Medic sent out Shanderaa!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Shanderaa!

Kerudio used Aqua Tail!
It's super effective!
The foe's Shanderaa lost 75% of its health!
The foe's Shanderaa fainted!

My gamble pays off. I pull off a successful KO out of the blue, nevertheless on a Shanderaa, eliminating a very important threat. Wow, when I saw him switching in Shanderaa, the first thing I remember is Earthworm’s Skarmory Brave Birding an unrevealed Breloom for the KO. Obviously, this isn’t on the same level, but still, I can’t help thinking of that.

Now I’m only going to be able to take another 2 turns of burn damage, so I need to pick my last move very carefully. Its likely Burunkeru will come back in, so I will sacrifice Kerudio to get a free switch in to Latias.

KOing Shanderaa is a big bonus, as if it is a Scarfed version, it could beat Latias, a key focal point of my team. Otherwise, Shadow Tag variants could provide a big headache with SubCM setup, which will definitely net a KO, maybe even 2 or 3, which won’t do at all.

Kerudio:24%(burned)
Burunkeru:94%(carries Leftovers)
Shanderaa:Earthworm’d

Current Numbers situation: 5-5
My team
: 100%(Revealed)
: 24%(Revealed)(Burned)

Opponent’s team
:60%(known to be Scarfed)(revealed)

Momentum Possessor: Neither Player
Current Game plan: Break through Burunkeru’s stall, and scout out last 2 members of Medic’s team.

Start of turn 9
Kerudio used Aqua Tail!
The foe's Burunkeru's Water Absorb absorbs the attack!

The foe's Burunkeru used Boiling Water!
Kerudio lost 48 HP! (14% of its health)

I try to drop another bombshell, but end up overpredicting and healing him for free. Now his wall is back at full health, meaning the surprise Thunderbolt from Insekuta’s effect is all gone. With Sazando lurking, I can’t bring in Insekuta, as Sazando might be running a +Spe nature.

I reconsider my decision to go to Latias. Sazando can easily come in and absolutely destroy me after he sacrifices something, and I will be down on valuable Wish support(more on that later), while he will just be down something like Kojondo, which is already crippled.

He reveals Boiling Water, meaning that I can guess his entire set. Boiling Water/Recover/Toxic/Shadow Ball – the supporter set. Until now, I was not sure what his last 2 slots were(I encountered the other 3 moves in my previous battle), and wondered if he was possibly using a double status set. Being on the defensive from very early makes you slightly paranoid.

Kerudio:12%(burned)
Burunkeru:100%(carries Leftovers)

Start of turn 10

Kerudio fainted!
Destiny Warrior sent out Shanderaa!
I already knew I would die this turn, so this is just pretty much filler. I stall more Recover PP, though it doesn’t really help here, as my team is all about “Deconstruct your opponents before they deconstruct you”, not “set up something for a sweep” or “stall till you fall”.

Now it may seem silly to bring out Shanderaa, but I don’t really see why I shouldn’t. Until I load my team and see that I have Shadow Tag… Anyway, I decide to scout his next move with a Substitute. If I’m lucky enough to have him overpredict and Recover or Toxic, I’ll be good to go.

Shanderaa is rather frail though, which makes me worry a little. I have to hope he chooses to Recover in face of a potential Choice Scarf, as I’m screwed if he doesn’t.

Kerudio: Charred
Burunkeru:100%(carries Leftovers)(trapped)
Shanderaa:100%

Current Numbers situation: 4-5
My team

Opponent’s team

Current Game plan: Break through Burunkeru’s stall, and scout out last 2 members of Medic’s team.

Start of turn 11
Shanderaa used Substitute!
Shanderaa made a substitute!

It's super effective!
Shanderaa's substitute faded!

Shanderaa restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
…he doesn’t. That’s not a relief, but then I go to run a damage calc.

Now the remaining Pokemon on my team are Insekuta, Latias and Wobbuffet. Wobbuffet might be a good choice for this, but I don’t see the need to waste its HP on this guy, as I no longer have set up Pokemon to take advantage of it. Instead, I intend to use Wobbuffet to gain a KO on one of his sweepers, then use Custap Berry to gain a Destiny Bond KO. This should put me back in the game sufficiently for Insekuta and Latias to clean up.

By weakening him, I will be able to rack up more Stealth Rock damage from switches, which will immensely benefit Latias and Insekuta. Shanderaa unfortunately has to be virtually sacrificed for this ideal to be achieved, as I find that no SpA Burunkeru with Boiling Water does 64.4% - 75.9% to no HP Shanderaa. I will 2HKO him with Shadow Ball, while he can’t do jack shit to KO me without something ridiculous like a critical hit.

Shanderaa:81%
Burunkeru:100%(carries Leftovers)(trapped)

Start of turn 12
Shanderaa used Shadow Ball!
It's super effective!
The foe's Burunkeru lost 77% of its health!

It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Shanderaa lost 263 HP! (81% of its health)
Shanderaa fainted!

Destiny Warrior sent out Latias!
…spoke too soon. I weaken him heavily, but with that nasty critical hit, he takes out another crucial member of my team. Now its is going to be extremely difficult to break through him, as my best option for KOing him is down.

I don’t want to ragequit though, since I’m morbidly interested in finding how badly I can get haxxed this game. I mean, seriously, I got burned by Sazando, and critted by Burunkeru, both destroying 2 members of my team. Any significant advantage I had earlier is now moot after the turn of events.

I send out my best choice for forcing a switch, Latias. Conservative play out of the window, its aggro time. He will expect a Thunderbolt/Thunder, and is likely to switch to Sazando so as to get a free KO on Latias. I’m sure I’ve read him perfectly, so here goes…

Shanderaa:critted
Burunkeru:29%(carries Leftovers)
Latias:100%

Current Numbers situation: 3-5
My team

Opponent’s team
:29%(carries Leftovers)(revealed)
???:100%(unrevealed)

Current Game plan: Play aggressively and force his hand so as to gain KOs.

Start of turn 13
Medic sent out Sazando!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Sazando!

Latias used Dragon Pulse!
It's super effective!
The foe's Sazando lost 46% of its health!
The foe's Sazando fainted!

Medic sent out Metagross!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Metagross!
Once again, I manage to successfully predict a switch and grab a KO on one of the most threatening Pokemon on his team: Sazando. Sazando can sweep easily with his large movepool, meaning I would be forced to sacrifice to get something in, which would effectively finish me off due to having only 3 Pokemon, all of which are extremely important.

Wobbuffet can’t even play against Sazando without extreme prediction, since it has both physical and special attacks. Nailing it on the switch is possibly the only way to handle it for this team.

Now I’m sure he will finally be forced to send out one of his unrevealed Pokemon, so that I can try to see if I have the proper Pokemon to beat him. Wobbuffet will gain a KO at worst, 2 at best, since trying to provide it Wish support at this stage of the game is very risky.

I then notice he sends out Metagross, and I go “FFs”. I’m put in a checkmate situation, since he might Pursuit if I switch, or Meteor Mash if I stay in and fail to KO. I go with Thunder so as to try and get some paralysis.

Latias:100%
Burunkeru:29%(carries Leftovers)
Sazando: Pulsed out.
Metagross:94%

Current Numbers situation: 3-4
My team

Opponent’s team
:0%(known to be Scarfed)(Revealed)(KO’d)
:100%(Revealed)

Momentum Possessor: Destiny Warrior
Current Game plan: Play aggressively and force his hand so as to gain KOs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to pictures limit, second post will contain the latter part of the warstory(please do not post just yet). 3 of the question mark blocks were removed so as to have 100 pictures only.

Destiny Warrior

Latter Part of the Warstory

Start of turn 14
Latias used Thunder!
The attack of Latias missed!

The foe's Metagross used Meteor Mash!
Latias lost 302 HP! (100% of its health)
Latias fainted!

Destiny Warrior sent out Wobbuffet!
And luck smiles on him again, as Thunder fails to hit, and gets a KO on another Pokemon of mine. Metagross is a monster, so I send out Wobbuffet, who gets a guaranteed KO on him with Counter.

Beyond getting the KO on Metagross, I need to hope that Insekuta can deal with his last unrevealed Pokemon, or I’m pretty much screwed. I doubt if Wobb can survive another attack to Destiny Bond, or if Meteor Mash will fire me down to Custap range. So basically, Insekuta is my last hope.

Let me compute the chance of all the hax that has struck me so far: 0.00375, or .375%. Rather ridiculous, I must say, but oh well. That’s Pokemon.

Latias: Mashed
Metagross:94%
Wobbuffet: 100%

Current Numbers situation: 2-4
My team
: 0%(Revealed)

Opponent’s team
:94%(Revealed)

Current Game plan: KO Metagross, and pray Insekuta can handle the rest.

Start of turn 15
The foe's Metagross used Meteor Mash!
Wobbuffet lost 436 HP! (74% of its health)

Wobbuffet used Counter!
The foe's Metagross lost 93% of its health!
The foe's Metagross fainted!

Medic sent out Randorosu!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Randorosu!
OH SHIT. I just missed on getting into Custap range. I run a damage calc and find that Metagross is Choice Banded, meaning even if he had critted me, Insekuta could have swept in his face.

Since the 5th Generation metagame hasn’t really developed, its not possible to look at 5 members of a team and predict the 6th member of a team like that. I have to really see it in battle too know what he has.

Wobbuffet shows he’s not left behind in this metagame, with his massive HP and small defenses still doing a good job. He brings in Randorusu, a Ground/Flying genie. I’m predicting a U-Turn, but out of nervousness, I forget to go and run damage calculations on that attack. Fuck you Metagross, couldn’t you have given me Custap activation?

Wobbuffet: 26%
Metagross:Countered
Randorusu:88%

Current Numbers situation: 2-3
My team
: 26%(Revealed)

Opponent’s team
:0%(Revealed)(KO’d)
:88%(Revealed)

Current Game plan: Pray Insekuta can handle his team

Start of turn 16
The foe's Randorosu used U-turn!
It's super effective!
Wobbuffet lost 148 HP! (25% of its health)
Wobbuffet fainted!
Medic called Randorosu back!

Destiny Warrior sent out Insekuta!

Insekuta's Download activates!
Insekuta's Sp. Att. rose!
And I fall victim to Metagross’ trolly damage roll. He U-Turns out with Randorusu, and brings in the terror which Is Burunkeru. At this point of time, I need to pick my move so as to sweep fully with Insekuta.

Bug Buzz is a no go, as all of his Pokemon resist it. Thunderbolt means I hand him the game on a silver platter, since Randorusu is immune to it. So I need to pick between Ice Beam and Flamethrower.

This is the kind of situation I like. A situation where one choice decides the fate of the game. I go to select Ice Beam, but misclick and select Flamethrower. Shenanigans.

Wobbuffet: Turned Off
Insekuta: 100%(+1)
Randorusu:78%(Life Orb)
Burunkeru:23%(carries Leftovers)

Current Numbers situation: 1-3
My team

Opponent’s team
:23%(carries Leftovers)(revealed)
:88%(Revealed)

Start of turn 17
Insekuta used Flamethrower!
The foe's Burunkeru lost 19% of its health!

Insekuta lost 91 HP! (32% of its health)

Wow. I guess he thought I’d given up and would use Thunderbolt. This changes things. I get some leeway to sweep.

Burunkeru is finally going to get KO’d. This is good, because that bulky mofo resist both Ice Beam and Flamethrower, my only options in this situation. I’m saved from the horror of Boiling Water burning me, though luckily it wouldn’t matter if it did, as I’m Scarfed, and run only Special moves anyway.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that Gen 5 Ubers is just not a clusterfuck of Ubers only. A lot of OU Pokemon have great niches in this metagame, so it isn’t as overcentralizing like everybody assumed it to be.

Insekuta: 68%(+1)(locked into Flamethrower)
Burunkeru:10%(carries Leftovers)

Start of turn 18
A critical hit!
The foe's Burunkeru lost 8% of its health!
The foe's Burunkeru fainted!

Medic sent out Kojondo!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Kojondo!
Hooray, a critical hit! Though it didn’t really matter…

I get rid of Burunkeru, and for the first time since I KO’d Sazando, I think I have gained momentum in this match. With Stealth Rock breaking any Sash Kojondo might be having, I’m all set to roll.

At +1, Insekuta is a beast. He effectively has a Special Attack stat of 558, which is even larger than unboosted Deoxys-A!

Burunkeru: Burned
Kojondo: 94%(paralyzed)

Current Numbers situation: 1-2
My team

Opponent’s team
:94%(paralyzed)(revealed)
:0% (Revealed)(KO’d)
:78%(Revealed)

Start of turn 19
The foe's Kojondo lost 94% of its health!
The foe's Kojondo fainted!

Medic sent out Randorosu!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Randorosu!
I grab another KO with Insekuta, and get rid of the dangerous scout Kojondo. Who knows what it might have been running.

He brings in Randorusu again, and the odds are leveled. I don’t know what Randorusu might be packing, so I need to KO him this turn. I run a damage calc(and conveniently forget to check Bulbapedia for his movepool), and find that Flamethrower does 58.1-68.6% to it. I need to hope for a high damage roll to KO this guy.

I press the Flamethrower button, and watch anxiously…

Kojondo: Burned
Randorusu: 66%

Current Numbers situation: 1-1
My team

Opponent’s team
:0% (Revealed)(KO’d)
:78%(Revealed)

Current Game plan: Pray Insekuta can get a good damage roll against Randorusu.

Start of turn 20
The foe's Randorosu lost 65% of its health!
The foe's Randorosu fainted!

Destiny Warrior won the battle!
YES! I win the match, Good game Medic, the match could have gone either way for most of the match, and on Turn 17, if you had used Recover, you might have won. Still, things happen, and this warstory shows the viability of a lot of OUs and their capacity to stand up to Ubers.

Medic’s Team:

My team in detail

Deoxys-S@ Lum Berry
252 HP 6 Atk 252 Spe
Jolly
Pressure
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
-Taunt
-Extremespeed

Insekuta@ Choice Scarf
4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spe
Modest
Download
-Bug Buzz
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower

Kerudio@Life Orb
4 HP 252 Atk 252 Spe
Adamant
Heart Of Justice
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Tail
-Aqua Jet
-Close Combat

Shanderaa@ Leftovers
4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spe
Modest
Shadow Tag
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Shadow Ball
-HP Fighting

Latias@ Soul Dew
4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spe
Timid
Levitate
-Wish
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-Thunder

Wobbuffet@Custap Berry
252 HP (enough EVs to outspeed Blissey with rest split between Defnse and Special Defense)
Bold
Shadow Tag
-Encore
-Destiny Bond
-Counter
-Mirror Coat

It was thrown together in a bit of a hurry, which explains the bog-standard EV spreads.

Kill count
My Team
Deoxys-S: 0
Genosect: 3
Kerudio: 1
Shanderaa: 0
Latias: 1
Wobbuffet: 1

My Opponent’s Team
Kojondo: 0
Sazando: 1
Burunkeru: 2
Shanderaa: 0
Metagross: 1
Randorusu: 1

Now time for Props and Slops

Props
• Deoxys-S setting up Stealth Rock, which did a lot of damage over the game.
• Paralyzing Kojondo, discouraging it from entering the game for most of the match
• Nailing Shanderaa with psychological warfare.
• Kerudio showing its usefulness even while burned.
• Nailing Sazando.
• Winning despite all the hax

Slops
• All the hax my opponent got.
• Letting Burunkeru survive so long.
• Metagross, for a trolly Meteor Mash damage roll.
• Insekuta not being able to KO Burunkeru early on with Thunderbolt. Seriously, that led to so many problems.
• The misclick of Flamethrower.

MVP of the match is...

Insekuta@ Choice Scarf
4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spe
Modest
Download
-Bug Buzz
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower

This guy snagged 3 KOs, effectively winning the game in the end. Without him, the result of the game would have been very different.

People may post now.

Great match, especially with you winning even with all of the hax he achieved. The constant overview of things was a bit unnecessary, but it fits the way your team seems to play. The mindgame versus his Burunkeru was pretty awesome.

I commend both you and your opponent for making such good teams for this emerging metagame, however I am disappointed by the huge misplay that your opponent made when it didn't recover at the end there.

This warstory really makes me look forward to playing some B/W matches...

There were certainly some questionable decisions made on both sides(particularly him not using Recover), but it is a brand new metagame so it's somewhat understandable.

This makes me even more excited to use Genosect, although it'll probably end up being in ubers after preliminary testing. And I can already tell that Burunkeru will piss me off a lot.

NINJASK Substitute + Protect Baton Passed to Uru (butterfly) and sweep with Hidden Power Dragon and Fire Dance !

Destiny Warrior

@Johnny_Darko: Thanks!

@Anachronism: Glad to know you're looking forward to Black/White.

@OldSchoolNub: I agree Burunkeru is just a bit TOO annoying.

@JadeX: Um, what does that have to do with the warstory?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
He had the game won, all he had to do was Recover and it was gg...........having said that I love Genosect and I love the excitement of an entirely new metagame, and your comments were pretty good! I'm curious as to what happened to B/W on Pokemon Online, I only heard about it being there today and it's already gone :/ (explain the logic bomb :/).

Destiny Warrior

Somebody cracked the PO update and inserted parts of a logic bomb(virus) into it consisting of malicious software.

Somebody cracked the PO update and inserted parts of a logic bomb(virus) into it consisting of malicious software.
Oh, so that's what happened. I was looking forward to it too, playing WiFi against friends on B&W to test competitive concepts works and all but it's not as good as facing a wide variety of opponents. I have a pretty good team cooked up, too.

Nice one, DW. Surprised at the effect Burunkeru has on even such a off. minded team.

Genosekt was the star of the show, I agree. Might suggest a change in your lead, since U-Turn Kojondo leads are running rampant,from the other BW warstories I have read so far. Still, thank god Kojondo doesnt get TWave.

Actually, what JadeX meant was that you might want to switch Deoxys-S with Ninjask, and Shanderaa with Urugamosu (the LO Butterfly Dance set on its analysis thread), thought it was out of context with this warstory thread.

Overall, I would give this 9.5/10.

Enjoyable read :]

Also may I suggest that you don't go through the state of your's and the opponent's team at the end of every turn because it gets a bit confusing. Just showing the % of the Pokemon on field should be enough, I feel.

Destiny Warrior

@El Sargento: SD is also viable, and can catch several people off-guard without being a gimmic. Beside, my team needed a physical Pokemon to cover Blissey.

@Losa: Glad you enjoyed it!

@|DarkSector|: I agree, Shanderaa is awesome, but at times, he's a real bitch to use...

@Shimrit As: That is meant to be a recap every time a Pokemon is KO'd, though for the latter half, it probably felt like every turn...

@WhiteSpy: Glad you enjoyed it!

@Timeneon: Insekuta FTW!

@Captain_Planet: What is that supposed to mean?

@Upstart: Glad you enjoyed it!

Good warstory, only a few things:

1. Medic is way better than this. especially turn 8 wasnt even close to "normal".

2. The hax (if including his boiling water on genosekuto which cost him the game)wasnt as bad as you make it sound, a burn on a completely walled kerudio isnt exactly the worst thing in the world and the crit on shanderaa was far from important because he woulndt have anything useful left for you to trap. the only (well, the burn is arguable) moment where it really mattered was the damage roll not activating custap berry.

3....nothing, well done ;)

Awesome warstory, glad to see Kerudio got some use despite getting burnhax, goes to show how useful it will be. 9.5/10

I really liked this warstory but your opponent should have used Recover with Burunkeru.
I can't wait to start playing Gen 5 !

Good Warstory. A couple of mistake, like medic sacrificing shanderaa for nothing when the best thing kerudio could do to burunkeru is stone edge and that is not even a 2hko, and not recovering on insekuta. Also i have to add all your team is walled by specially defensive burunkeru with taunt, but i think i was the only one using that set :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)