Entertainment Navigating the hood: Exploring the Social Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always loved reading the smog and wanted to be able to contribute. In the past I tried to launch a couple ideas but they never got off he ground. I attribute this mainly due to the old process of how articles were approved and the relation with would-be-writers. However now with this new system in place I thought it would be best to try again in having an article approved.

This time I decided I will pick up the pen of humor. I got the inspiration for this article when I came across an interesting activity people do on vacations. It's basically having a tour of the ghetto in the city you are visiting. In taking part in these tours you are explained the culture, groups, and even get to interact with the locals. With no derogatory comparison intended, I think this could translate into a (humorous and entertaining) exploration of the lesser known aspect of smogon;the social groups.

I attempt to be able to show the interesting (and most certainly comical) aspects of social groups. I would love to do this and I really think this article can have a lot of potential.

Please wait until we have posted the guidelines, and then post an application adhering to them. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Hey!

Since this forum is now up and running, Birkal has unlocked your thread. Before giving our opinions, though, we wanted to get some more clarification on the nature of your article.

I know you stated your comparison wasn't meant to be derogatory, but I was a little concerned by it in conjunction with your use of the word 'comical', since the social groups are frequently mocked and are regularly targeted by trolls. As such, we wouldn't really want to invite any more trouble into such an unmoderated, lawless area. I agree that the social groups can definitely be quite comical, but I'm hesitant to include an article that largely consists of trolling users who keep to themselves and who would probably not take it very well (it would be in bad taste as well). Could you provide some more information about the type of humour you were intending to include, the sort of writing + things you were intending to discuss, etc.? The more details, the better, so we can get a clear picture and have an informed opinion.

Thank you very much!

I totally hear you out, I in no way wish to just write up an article of just trolling out users. The article wouldn't primarily even be about specific users but rather the culture in general. One of the largest aspects I want to touch on in this article is the social group is almost a forum of itself. A place where without any rules or much of anything can have its own culture much like you would find on forums. Out of this you have notable "leaders" of social groups who are known in that community. Much of the humor in this case would stem from how serious some take the social groups. I don't plan on this article being in anyways more offensive than a anyother smog article.

I also wish to note a few things. I myself (perhaps embarrassing) admit I am quite involved in the social groups. I run my own group which I do devout a substantial amount of time that rivals my time on the main forums. To get to the point I wouldn't be maliciously trolling a social groupers when I myself spend much of my time there as well. Another thing to note is there's a variety of groups ranging from teams, serious groups, or funny moderator groups.

I am happy to go into more clarification if needed.

I totally hear you out, I in no way wish to just write up an article of just trolling out users. The article wouldn't primarily even be about specific users but rather the culture in general. One of the largest aspects I want to touch on in this article is the social group is almost a forum of itself. A place where without any rules or much of anything can have its own culture much like you would find on forums. Out of this you have notable "leaders" of social groups who are known in that community. Much of the humor in this case would stem from how serious some take the social groups. I don't plan on this article being in anyways more offensive than a anyother smog article.

Edit: However in the interest of the article's hilarity I think it should be fair to broadcast some of the "Trou du Cul worthy" groups and posts.

I also wish to note a few things. I myself (perhaps embarrassing) admit I am quite involved in the social groups. I run my own group which I do devout a substantial amount of time that rivals my time on the main forums. To get to the point I wouldn't be maliciously trolling a social groupers when I myself spend much of my time there as well. Another thing to note is there's a variety of groups ranging from teams, serious groups, or funny moderator groups.

I am happy to go into more clarification if needed.

There seems to be a lack of being able to edit one's post. The quoted post above is the one where I included an edit. Could some one enable edits to this forum?

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm not overly convinced, sorry. I think that this article could very easily fall into the pitfall of flaming and hurt feelings. It's nothing against you, BattleStar. It's simply the nature of the topic; social groups are inevitably volatile. If the other Smog Staff has some input to give here, I'm all ears. But tentatively, I'm going to vote no on this. I can't see it ending well, but we'll see what the others have to say.

I agree -- this is an area I simply feel uncomfortable touching, so I'm gonna say no. Please feel free to reapply if you get another idea unrelated to social groups, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)