Resource National Dex Viability Rankings

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I found the reason. Steel is the best tera that allows Hippo to not take passive chip from sandstorm and gives resistances to Ice/Grass, which Ground is weak to.

But I'm not convinced it's really worth it. Steel tera needs a defensive ability (Bulletproof, Levitate, Flash Fire) to compensate for the exposure to high BP attacks like Earthquake and Close Combat. Being immune to Toxic isn't enough. On the teams where Hippo fits it replaces Heatran who commonly teras into Grass, which completely stuffs Mega Swampert, Ferrothorn and opposing Heatran.

Tera Dragon is also an option, as Dragon's resistances overlap wth Grass with an added Fire resistance. I don't think the Fairy weakness is as exploitable if paired with a specially defensive Steel like Heatran, Ferrothorn or Gholdengo.
if you are going to be taking chip from your own sand that is absolutely horrendous as sand chip is crippling; steel is objectively the best tera without question as it also provides great synergy against targets like tapu lele and tornadus-t. hippo also does not slot over heatran either so idk where you got that comparison from too.

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
That doesn't stop it, I will charge on the turn you switch in, it only stops me if we switch in on the same turn, which is unlikely, so I still get to hit you like an absolute truck
hippo comes into yard about to click solar beam, sand forces it to be 2 turns and halves the damage. hippo will not be taking much from solar beam or any of yards other attacks making it a solid yard check.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon in Sand: 136-160 (32.3 - 38%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

hippo comes into yard about to click solar beam, sand forces it to be 2 turns and halves the damage. hippo will not be taking much from solar beam or any of yards other attacks making it a solid yard check.

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon in Sand: 136-160 (32.3 - 38%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
I see, in that case, I stand corected, thing is, my zard has never had issues with the hippo before

Annihilape to A+
1) currently in the metagame there are no known checks to annihilape
2) movepool is terrific. Access to stealth rocks, taunt, and set up moves like bulk up
3) versatility in tera typing- fire, fairy, and water all work great for ape.

Annihilape @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Rage Fist
- Drain Punch

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
Meta has shifted a lot since this was last updated so this will be a pretty big dump, gonna try to keep these short. Also previous posts I've made still stand unless they are explicitly about Espa HO stuff.

Rises

:heatran: A -> A+ This mon is not OK Tera Grass is extremely threatening to a huge amount of common structures, and most switch ins get messed up by Taunt or Toxic if you can fit it, even if you can't it's a really good rocker and most builds are still lacking in a real switch in to this. Defensive sets are also really useful for a check to Sciz, Lele, and Tera Grass defensively lures a lot of stuff too. A is criminally low for a mon that is this effective, you could even make an argument for S but I'm keeping this on the conservative side.

:iron-valiant: A- -> A Extremely useful for almost any offense, has the coverage for just about everything as well as useful resists in a meta with so much Dark and Fighting-type offense. Multiple options for sets and coverage too so its hard to predict, definitely one of our most effective offensive options right now.

:annihilape: A- -> A This thing's worst matchup was Espa HO, so it being banned is very useful as its very good into most of the rest of the meta. Very effective into most of the balance and fat structures that are running around right now and generally rly annoying lol. A would be an appropriate place for this imo.

:garganacl: B+ -> A Gargler is a stupid wincon, great into a huge amount of the meta and very easy to support with other fat teammates as long as you are playing well. I really believe that Garg based fat will become a premier playstyle post Espa since Garg can actually get going more easily into the current structures that I'm seeing and Espa HOs were not a good matchup for him. Great mon.

:slowbro: B -> B+ Has some nice defensive traits in checking the fighters but I think where this really shines is FuturePort, which is something that I think needs to be explored more. We have some stupid breakers that many defensive cores have just one answer to or can just barely hang on against, and Slowbro supports those mons in spades, especially if it's a breaker that doesn't like Toxapex very much. Tera Dark can also mess with Gambit and Pult. Cool mon.

:iron-moth: C -> B This mon is nuts right now, yes it has some really common switch ins named Heatran and Toxapex, but fortunately you can just U-turn out of those and the rest of the meta is really not equipped to defensively handle this, and it pairs great with Koko for that juicy boost. STABs+Eball wrecks a bunch of common cores and you are powerful enough to run boots which makes longevity much less of an issue. Pair with Future Sight for some real magic. Either way C is a crime for something this effective, just needs some support but nothing unreasonable in the slightest.

:gliscor: C -> B- Has some nice traits for the meta, checks Heatran, helps against some Ghold variants, and Toxic variants can help out against Ape. These traits make it a good choice for some of the current fat structures. Also PHeal makes the Roost nerf a slightly lesser issue. Far from amazing but perfectly usable.

Drops

:clodsire: B+ -> B / B- This thing was bad even before Espa was banned and now that Espa is gone I can take this off of a lot of teams. Ting-Lu and Hippo (hell I'd rather use Glisc in a lot of cases) are almost always better options its super passive and dies to anything with Taunt, and most of the stuff its supposed to beat can beat it if they choose the right Tera.

:magnezone: B- -> C None of what this traps is actually good right now except for Kartana and Skarm, but fat Torn fits on like everything atm so there's no real reason to run it for Kart and Skarm can be abused by other teammates. I guess certain offenses that rly hate Skarm could use it but outside of that role idk why you would run this, I've yet to see a team this gen that has even remotely needed its services. (Edit: Somehow forgot about Ferrothorn lmao but Ferro can just Tera and most teams can break it without zone so I think the above points still stand.)

Could also unrank a bunch of stuff in C rank ig, Shocks and Slither are both terrible and I don't really think Trick Room is worth ranking right now either but C ranks are kinda subjective so I don't rly mind if they stay on. I also think we should rank Aegislash and Reuniclus, SubTox Aegi is good on fat and is very nice in a Garg support role while Tera Reun is a very solid wincon, I'm too lazy to get replays though so I'm not gonna officially nom them.

Ok thats it.

Last edited:
If Zard-Y gets a viability boost, I want to nominate Zard-X for getting one as well.

Lately, I have been seeing team structures bluffing Zard-Y with Zard-X, taking advantage of overprep for Zard-Y to muscle through balance cores or just outright sweep.
Zard-Y is commonly paired with Great Tusk and is also seen on teams with Tapu Koko and Iron Moth, since Moth uniquely benefits from both Electric Terrain and Sun. So what happens if Zard-X is used instead?

In Gen 6, there wasn't a lot of defensive answers to Zard-X, but we got a solid one in Gen 7 with Tapu Fini, whose popularity was also tied to Ash-Greninja. Fini resisted both of Zard-X's STAB moves and Misty Terrain cut Outrage's power in half. But Fini's usage has declined due to the plethora of hazards and lack of reliable recovery, along with the extinction of her main prey in Ash-Gren. Fini also performs poorly versus Zard-Y, especially a Zard-Y carrying Solar Beam.

AG was also one of the best ways to revenge kill Mega Charizard X, and along with Fini we saw Zard-X kept in check throughout Gen 7 and Gen 8.

But now, without the best revenge killer and the best defensive check, there isn't a lot stopping Zard-X from spamming Outrage/Flare Blitz and 2HKOing everything. Physically defensive Grounds like Lando-T, Great Tusk and Hippowdon are 2HKO by Outrage, so they cannot switch in. Specially defensive Heatran has a 94% to be 2HKO by Outrage. Defensive Garchomp is OHKO'd by Outrage unless it teras into something that resists Dragon. Rotom-Wash has a 68.8% chance to be OHKO by Outrage and can't really threaten Zard-X anyway.

Granted, a lot of Zard-X's viability is tied to Zard-Y's, but I wouldn't even call this a 50/50 issue. Zard-Y is shaping teams in a way that makes them weak to Zard-X, and changes to the meta itself have made Zard-X stronger.

i just want to do a quick nom for both of these:
:xy/ribombee: :xy/thundurus-therian:

1- ribombee UR --> C
i think webs can work in this gen in contrary to the last gen (it almost got me to top 500 but then i lost to a mono ghost and gave up on laddering), because this gen we have more powerful mons who appreciate webs, a mon that prevents webs from getting defogged/spinned and one of the most important mons for rival screens ho getting banned, ribombee is in my eyes is the best web setter and maybe even the only viable one, the reason for it being the best one is its speed + shield dust + skill swap (its faster than every magic bouncer) means you are getting webs 100% of the time unless you face screens koko which is faster and can taunt which you can deal with using encore pup mlop (yes ik it is not as good this gen but that set is a beast with webs), and ribombee is not passive, not in the slightest, it gets stun spore which is enough to make you not lead with your dd dnite when you see it in team preview, it also has a supposedly weak moonblast but damn, look at these calcs
0 SpA Ribombee Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclizar: 278-330 (80.8 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (it also outspeeds non scarf cyc so yepee)
0 SpA Ribombee Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 248-294 (78.2 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Ribombee Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 326-386 (87.8 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Ribombee Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lopunny-Mega: 204-242 (75.2 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
if you literally run a little bit of spa evs (rib doesn't even need hp evs to be effective) you can ohko a lot of things that greatly threaten webs

2- thundurus-t UR --> C
i generally think thundy-t and rib should be ranked together because they are like tork and venu, thundy-t is obviously one of the best abusers of webs in both last and current gen, it is powerful and its good-ish speed tier under webs makes it cause terror if it managed to get an np and you don't have an unware mon, it also resists flying so offensive torn-t is less of a problem for webs, and thanks to Z focus blast and hp ice, very very few things can wall it, immunity to ground is also nice for scarf lando-t and volt absorb is always nice, there isn't a lot to talk about this mon because it is very straight forward so i will leave you with calcs and replays.
defensive calcs:
252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Thundurus-Therian: 96-113 (32.1 - 37.7%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus-Therian: 174-205 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (it will not handle kgambit if 2 or more allies fainted (and completely fucked if it tera'd) but that only applies when thundy-t isn't healthy which is not a hard task to do)
252+ Atk Tera Normal Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus-Therian: 196-232 (65.5 - 77.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (low chance of revenging)

take in mind those calcs rely on rocks, you can run booster energy rapid spin gtusk which is a magnificent choice on webs

offensive calcs:
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 366-431 (85.9 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 398-470 (103.1 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 368-434 (104.5 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 284-336 (87.9 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Tera Normal Dragonite: 283-334 (87.6 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (they literally have the same chance in order to kill each other lmfao)
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lopunny-Mega: 330-388 (121.7 - 143.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclizar: 404-476 (117.4 - 138.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 472-556 (127.2 - 149.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-Wash: 300-354 (98.6 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 348-411 (90.8 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta: 283-334 (87 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
and also anything that can take a tbolt can't take a Z focus blast

replays:

thund-t (these replays also count for rib/webs in general btw):
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1806972649
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1803868258
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1803834444
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1803824709
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1806956316

rib:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1803820026
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1803448818
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1803360369

Last edited:
:slowbro: B -> B+ One of the best slow pivot off all time. Teleport its amazing in this meta, allows to get a lot of momentum + is a way to get safe switchs for your teammates. Tusk and Medichamp counter. Checks Rain/water physical attackers (such as Urshifu, Swampert and Barraskewda), Scary Fighting types like Zamazenta, Lopunny, Physical variants of Iron Valiant, also checks variants of taunt less Heatran and Annhilape

The only things that needs Slowbro is Full Hp, Full def and Teleport, anything else in the set is very customizable whit that amazing movepool, wich allows to be any type of defensive pivot:
-Tera Dark: Counters Hoppa-U and Kingambit and allows to come in to the face of any Ghost attacker and pivoting out.
-HDB + Future Sight: Standard support, paired well with any ofensive Fighting
-Colub Berry + Body Press (my favorte one): Allows to catch of guard the same mons as the Tera Dark set but not wasting the Tera (and keeping the good typing lol), also weaks Knock off which is always useful
-Thunder wave: Speed control, trolls mons like Tornadus-T, Volcarona, ZardY and others trying to use Status moves in your face (very funny)
-Rocky Helmet: The chip is allways useful to take the Dragonite´s Multiscale, Punish Corviknight, Tornadus-T and Lopunny u-turns and any contact move in general like Floatzels Wave crash, Annhilipes Rage Fist or Rapid Spins Great Tusk
-Random unexpected coverage: Flamethrower takes con Ferrothron, Scizor and Kartana, Ice Beam surprises Tornadus, Dragapult and Zapdos switching in and Shadow ball (¿) for Psychic and Ghost types
-Z Move: Looks like a meme but, having Z move weak Knock off, hits hard and Z Teleport have a unique cool secondary effect

The flexibility of Regenerator + Teleport + Amazing movepool makes Slowbro to be a really good defensive pivot, fits well on a lot of archetypes and make safe switches easyly (Regen + Tp deny almost all Salt Cure chip, its just the perfect mon oml)

Some cool calcs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Water Floatzel Wave Crash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro in Rain: 188-222 (47.8 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO (2 hits takes 80% form recoil if Rocky Helmet)
252+ Def Slowbro Body Press vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Kingambit: 292-348 (79.1 - 94.3%)
252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tera Dark Slowbro: 79-93 (20.1 - 23.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tera Dark Slowbro: 237-280 (60.3 - 71.2%) (recover almost 50% healf after regen)
8 SpA Slowbro Shattered Psyche (190 BP) vs. 240 HP / 252+ SpD Annihilape: 320-378 (76 - 89.7%) funny

Hippowdon can only safely check Zard-Y if it's already Mega Evolved. If base Charizard comes in on something it checks or on Hippowdon itself, it will get at least one strong hit in under sun.

Neutral Weather Ball under sun does slightly less damage than a super effective Solar Beam, so the only case where Solar Beam is preferred is to check Rotom-W. Any other relevant Water-types can be defeated with Air Slash.

Hippowdon can only safely check Zard-Y if it's already Mega Evolved. If base Charizard comes in on something it checks or on Hippowdon itself, it will get at least one strong hit in under sun.

Neutral Weather Ball under sun does slightly less damage than a super effective Solar Beam, so the only case where Solar Beam is preferred is to check Rotom-W. Any other relevant Water-types can be defeated with Air Slash.
Even then, resisted Weather Ball is just as strong as neutral Air Slash, and Flamethrower is barely weaker. Solar Beam is useful for WashTom like you said, and the occasional x4 hit like Gastro, but doesn't provide much else.

ChrisPBacon

idola deus
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis the defending SM Circuit Champion
:ss/hydreigon:
UR - C

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

Honestly the only reason why I'm making this nom is because i love this set and this mon and will die on this hill for the entire gen probably. The switch from gen 8 to gen 9 altered the viabilities of a lot of different Pokemon, but 2 of the biggest losers are clefable and tapu fini, who were once staples on balance and offense respectively, rendered to niche territory. The fall of these defensive fairies gives hydreigon a much easier time as a wallbreaker, as it now sees much more avenues for it to fire off its strong STABs. Flash Cannon allows Hydreigon to still hit any fairies that do pop up (diancie, valiant, clef still) as well as mega tyranitar, while fire blast gives it an opportunity to cook kingambit and ferrothorn that want to pivot in. Tera Dark boosts your dark pulses so you can do stuff like 2hko pex and ohko lele after rocks. While the speed tier is a bit awkward, it's still enough to get the job done, most notably being able to outspeed great tusk. Additionally, its typing also gives it natural avenues for it to pivot into during a game against staples such as Gholdengo, Rotom-W and Skeledirge. The biggest flaw with drei is probably in that its a dark that can't check dragapult at all, meaning you will need team support from the likes of av torn to supplement that. You also probably need good pivots to bring it in on the slower mons but the amount of great pivots mean that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Heres a replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1808985022-zpczc6eehtl6jkdvag9fbf8lolchajepw (drei kills mew to limit it to 1 layer, then forces a roost on koko, then prevents 2 mons from setting up)

TLDR: drei is p decent, rank it to make me feel good

e: hidin told me abt trapper hydrei with like fire spin taunt roost dark pulse, i have no idea if thats good but ill mention it in case it is
e2: heres another game https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1809159407-cb8k78166hr8fs2np8goq2bx3iorhg5pw (thrashed lol...)

Last edited:

Fabriisse

formerly noobiste
I think Kingambit should be S rank, it provides so much utility for your team by checking big threat like gholdengo, dragapult,tornadus and others with its great bulk and being able potentially to rk like the whole metagame except tusk and lele. It's a great wallbreaker as terracristallisation and supreme overlord give him like no real counter (you can even choose tera fly in order to deal with great tusk). With its bulk,it's easy to bring him in the field and it forces 50/50 with sucker or sd, sucker or knock off, sucker or pursuit making Kingambit either a good cleaner or a good trapper for cleaner like scarf lele or iron valiant

sealoo

PaulGod
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Mandibuzz: UR -> C

:bw/mandibuzz:

With the lack of bulky defoggers in the tier, most teams have to slot Pokémon like Tornadus-T or Rotom-W, who aren't particularly bulky for the constant defogging they want to do with the current state of hazard spam. Mandibuzz carves out a niche on fat builds due to great bulk comparative to other defoggers, a speed tier allowing it to creep and cripple Annihilape, Overcoat letting it synergize with fat teams using Hippowdon, and good utility with Knock Off. Additionally, Mandibuzz serves as a pseudo-check to DD Dragapult . It also punishes Gholdengo switch-ins with a powerful STAB boosted Knock Off in comparasion to other defoggers, also assisting teammates such as Garganacl in breaking Gholdengo. Fat typically lacks a Psychic immunity, which Mandibuzz provides valuable compression for.

Mandibuzz also owns Hoopa-U so your fat cannot be cteamed!

gamer but swag shoutout gangster

[Gen 9] National Dex replay: BTLT777 TheJester vs. SPONGY SHUBER - Pokémon Showdown (pokemonshowdown.com beats ape

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1815874990 mandibuzz eats +2 scale shot and stone edge from ttar...torn could never!

Last edited:
Nominating Skarmory C -> B+
:gs/skarmory:

Skarmory is a defensive centerpiece that can easily set spikes and wall many physical attackers in the tier. Skarm's defensive coverage is very impressive, having a great matchup into Dragonite, Garchomp, Mega Lopunny, Mega Mawile, Great Tusk, Kingambit, Mega Tyranitar, Kartana, Mega Scizor, and Iron Hands. Skarmory's ability to spike while still being an actual pokemon is pretty nice, packing Iron Defense and Body Press to beat its targets and even potentially win games after some time. Immunity to spikes allows it to run rocky helmet, where it can leverage its solid typing to spread chip to a ton of pivots that would otherwise get away scot-free. Skarm can utilize Tera Dragon to also check rain and Urshifu pretty well, especially when paired with the second half of the greatest core in the history of mons, Hippowdon. Immunities to sand chip and toxic makes it so Skarm can stay at pretty consistently high HP to come back and spike after repeated fog attempts. Skarm also loves Gholdengo cause it keeps le spikes up and there's surprisingly little overlap as defensive steels.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1797747100-gl49q6411dm15wztt7io8wvtqg4q6yrpw Skarm spikes throughout and cleans up endgame

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1800408538
Skarm owns Zama/Garchomp/Kart endgame

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay on this VR update but finally, here it is. Theres a lot of drops and rises and quite a few new additions so im not going to go over them individually ,however, if you want to discuss somethings placement you can bring it up in this thread or over in the discord!

Code:
New Additions
Walking Wake -> B
Hippowdon -> B
Serperior -> B-
Greninja -> B-
Hydreigon -> B-
Iron Jugulis -> C
Slowking Galar -> C
Zoroark Hisui -> C

Rises
Heatran A ->A+
Kingambit A ->A+
Annihilape A- ->A
Garchomp A- ->A
Iron Valiant A- ->A
Scizor Mega A- ->A
Tapu Koko A- ->A
Charizard Mega Y B+ ->A-
Garganacl B+ ->A-
Rotom Wash B+ ->A-
Weavile B+ ->A-
Kartana B ->B+
Ting Lu B ->B+
Buzzwole B- ->B
Charizard Mega X B- ->B
Gyarados Mega B- ->B
Hawlucha B- ->B
Cinderace C ->B-
Iron Moth C ->B-
Skarmory C ->B-

Drops
Great Tusk A+ ->A
Pelipper A ->A-
Swampert Mega A ->A-
Urshifu Rapid Strike A ->A-
Volcarona A ->A-
Gastrodon A- ->B+
Floatzel B+ ->B
Clefable B ->B-
Excadrill B ->B-
Glimmora B ->B-
Dondozo B ->C
Amoongus B- ->C
Arctozolt B- ->C
Blissey B- ->C
Latias Mega B- ->C
Magnezone B- ->C
Slowbro Mega B- ->UR
Alomomola C ->UR
Altaria Mega C ->UR
Crawdaunt C ->UR
Cresselia C ->UR
Hatterene C ->UR
Latios Mega C ->UR
Marowak Alola C ->UR
Ninetails Alola C ->UR
Venusaur C ->UR

Last edited:

hidin

What a kind young man
rises

b+ -> a-
Mega Medicham has gained two new tools; that being Close Combat and Thief, and you can even consider Trailblaze as a somewhat good addition to Mega Medicham's movepool. Close Combat can now not be punished by missing nor going into Ghost-types, and the Ghost-types are now threatened by Thief, along with bulky Psychic-types such as Reuniclus and Victini. Generally, the switch-into Mega Medicham challenge is extremely overwhelming, making it an immense powerhouse that can just body teams with general ease. Trailblaze is a niche option, as it boosts your Speed to allow you to snipe Tapu Koko, Iron Valiant, Dragapult, and Tornadus-T, and can be paired with Tapu Lele to form a nasty Psychic-spam core. It also creates a nasty core with Kingambit, as it covers up Tornadus-T and Dragapult for it, while Mega Medicham heavily threatens Great Tusk and keeps Fighting-types not named Mega Lopunny off the field general for it. It is prone to status immensely and somewhat suffers from 4MSS, but most of the time it shouldn't be that problem when it comes to using it. Overall, Mega Medicham is a great offensive Pokemon, and should be raised just a bit higher to represent it as one.

a+ -> s-
This Pokemon is the definition of free value; I think that this post highlights it immensely well, so I do not have much to add onto here! It's really shocking on how this isn't even S- though, its utility is nearly unmatched and it can just sweep so easily due to Tera Dark + Supreme Overlord, becoming near impossible to steer clear of after some boosts. Tera Ghost also supports this well, flipping the script on Zamazenta and Mega Medicham, while Tera Fairy lets you not become Mega Lopunny and Iron Valiant food. Really astounding Pokemon right now, should absolutely be higher!

b+ -> a- / a
Toxapex has been doing Toxapex activities, and still succeeds at doing so even with the recovery reduction. Having an Iron Valiant and Mega Lopunny switch-in on bulky teams is huge, and you can generally annoy the opponent with Toxic and Scald. You also get nice progress from Toxapex as always, Knock Off and Scald both play a huge role as it still pertains those moves here, and Toxic in general is a nuisance to your opponent. Tera Dragon allows Toxapex to stop setup sweepers like Psychic Volcarona and Swords Dance Kartana, clicking Haze with ease against them, while also dealing with Mega Swampert even better. Overall, Big Stall Man has been underrated for a long while, and people should realize it's still a Pokemon you should account for in the teambuilder!

a- -> a
Terastallization pushes this over the edge immensely, rather it is Tera Grass destroying Gastrodon and Garganacl, Tera Psychic removing Toxapex and shredding through Dragonite and Clodsire, or Tera Ground pressuring Heatran and not folding to Mega Tyranitar. It has evolved from a matchup fish into an actual threat that will shred through teams with even just a single boost, and should be ranked higher as such.
I would also like to bring up BulkCarona, as it finds free opportunities to setup against Great Tusk and Mega Lopunny, while also serving as a solid wincon due to QD just being broken.

c -> b-
Gliscor serves as general role compression for bulkier builds, and can threaten foes like Annihilape due to it having a fast Toxic to nearly neuter it. It also beats Tapu Koko and Mega Diancie will relative ease, while also being a Defogger that can threaten Gholdengo and bait it to Terastallize, potentially letting a teammate take advantage of it, or force it out. Tera Water and Fairy power Gliscor up too, the former letting you handle Rain and Heatran a bit better while providing a solid defensive typing, and the latter allowing it to be a somewhat reliable Knock Off absorber while also providing a good typing, but it can be threatened by the Knock Off users' coverage if so. While the argument that Gliscor isn't good due to the "powercreep" in the tier is somewhat valid, it doesn't limit Gliscor as a whole, as it still is a solid asset for bulkier builds in general.

a+ -> s-
This is super glue to a lot of teams, I'm super surprised that it isn't ranked higher than it is right now, it just does so much for teams it's insane! Don't think I have much to dive into here either to be honest!

b- -> b

LBN brought this up and I think it's probably worth a rise, SubRoost sets are still surprisingly sturdy and get further bolstered by Terastallization, Tera Ghost allowing it to not be folded by Zamazenta, Tera Fairy giving it solid defensive typing and giving it neutrality to Pursuit, and Tera Steel giving it a Toxic immunity and decent defensive typing. Choice Specs sets have been seen as well, but clicking your STABs is sort of annoying right now and is very scared by Spikes, but it still can do something with its very threatening firepower. Overall it's decent, could probably be given a higher rank but I wouldn't be opposed to keep it as it is, mostly.

a- -> a / a+

It just clicks Swords Dance and Tera Water and proceeds to have no switch-ins. Toxapex will be blown away by Thunder Punch and even have a somewhat hard time with +2 Tera Water Surging Strikes once chipped, and Tera Fairy Gastrodon has to pray for a Scald burn or try to fish for a Toxic, but if its Substitute, Taunt, or is already at somewhere around +4, it's over for it. Very broken and overlooked Pokemon now, should be risen to represent its immense power!

drops

b+ -> b
I believe that Ting-Lu is solid role compression for more offensive teams due to it just being able to invalidate a lot of Pokemon that destroy the teamstyle, but is just generally passive to me as Spikes, Knock Off, and general chip damage just kill it so hard. Toxic also exists, you can try to Tera Poison but enjoy losing to Tapu Lele and Landorus-T! Still is a solid Pokemon though, I just think B+ is stretching it to be honest, as it is just the definition of a temporary check and not some fat bastard that people see it as.

b+ -> b
This just checks Gholdengo, and doesn't even do it well due to Tera Ghost Gholdengo, and is generally a fake check to quite a few Pokemon. I would rather use Hippowdon!

c -> ur
fraud get him out of here

:sv/zoroark-hisui:
c -> ur
Hot take, but I do not think Hisuian Zoroark is that good! Being an Illusion Pokemon weak to Pursuit and Knock Off is a quality I do not think is good, and while its typing is notable it just lacks opportunities to sweep without being immediately revealed. I just think it's new toy syndrome, and that's not a term I like to use that much! And overall, I just think that Hisuian Zoroark is just not as good as people think it is.

anyways tl;dr rise gambit mlop kyu mmedi shifu pex volc and glisc and lower ting and clod and remove dozo and hizo

Last edited:

Fabriisse

formerly noobiste

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
Time for a VR post. I'll be putting a couple things I think are good up for takes, aswell as a couple URs that deserve to be on here.

UR -> C/B-
This mon is stupid. Another pokemon made far better by tera, tera goltres finds setup opportunities fairly easily from Pult, Gholdengo, and others. It has some bad matchups like Tyranitar and Kingambit, but this can be worked around with Tera Fighting, though personally i like Tera Steel, as it helps flip the script vs Lele and uses it as setup fodder. I only have one replay, but I think alot of Goltres's values can be inferred fairly easily, so more than that isn't entirely needed imo. Try him out, he's broken. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldex-679882

428_2.png
A+ -> S-
Pretty much a second vouch on what hidin put prior, but these 2 are incredibly good rn. Kingambit imo is a step above of heatran and certainly of Gholdengo, fantastic pursuit trapper and wincon. While Mega Lopunny is very clear of the other megas not named Scizor, momentum game and it's MU into offense is incredible. Highly support these 2 being 3rd and 4th respectively.

B- -> B+
Now unlike my previous vouch for hidin, idk who is loading tera fairy and tera ghost kyurem. Tera ground is where it's at, as boosting earth power allows it to completely flip the script on Mega Scizor, who's generally a solid check to it under normal circumstances. Additionally, an underrated factor of tera for kyurem allows it to shore up it's hazards vulnerability a fair bit, grants it a sand immunity which while minor does help vs Mega Ttar, who's not a terrible soft check in the short term. Of course, Tera water is also nice in this regard. What you lose from tera ground you keep in the godlike MU vs Rain. Truthfully tera grass can do this too, if Kartana is something of a concern to you. This is just subroost btw, if your running specs which i have to great success, Tera Ground is where it's at. Comparable to Lele, it trades it's power for superior defensive profile, rain and lower vulnerability to pursuit. Obviously lele is better, but i dont find it that far out of Kyurems reach. Underexplored, give em a try.

B -> A-
How is this a B rank. This things MU spread rn is nothing short of incredible. Great Tusk, big Lopp, Buzzwole (i'll get to you later), Mega Scizor, Zamazenta a bit, and especially Torn-T. These are all high profile targets buzzwole aside, and this thing keeps its solid speed tier as both a wall and a breaker. Offensively it's solid, Flyinium-Z sets are solid at what they do and it's place is similar to SS in that regard. Defensively i've already gone over it's profile, but 3A roost pivot is fantastic, personally i find it's a subpar defogger and losing out on an attack hinders what its capable of by a noticeable degree, so i would just not bother and find removal in other ways, though it's not horrible at that specific task, i just find it's better used in other aspects. I also see the potential for other Z moves, namely electrium, taking note of Garganacl as a defensive check, and since 50% of our grounds in the meta don't particularly like Zapdos, I think this is more viable than last time and is worth considering. Overall static is very broken, this pokemon causes disruption very well, and it's worth it to use him over Torn-T on a good amount of occasions. Good mon, use him.

B- -> B
No, this mon is not out just yet. Gholdengo was a blow, as is the recovery nerf. However for the former, did i not mention pursuit kingambit? Of course, Gholdengo sometimes will pack things that mess with this pairing, such as Focus blast or Tera types, this most certainly isnt always the case for the former, and the latter you need to both stay in, and burn a valuable resource just to not get popped. Kingambit aside, my point is Gholdengo is both not a pokemon always present, nor a pokemon immovable when it is here. What does it do? Do you even need to ask, the usual. Rocker, Twave, and probably the most coveted? Garganacl. Everybody tripping over themselves to slot a covert cloak on a 6 when they could instead look into Clef. It's good matchups don't end there though, Mega Lopp will get chipped by helmet, and Zama-Hero doesn't always run Iron head, and thus gets annoyed heavily by Clef's presence. Overall a solid utility pick, with other sets like LO being useable aswell. CM is shit dont bother lmao

130_2.png
B -> B+
In my eyes, the peak of HO Danger atm. It's attacks are mostly unresisted across the meta, and it's bulk is nothing to sneeze at especially under screens. Very hard to check outside of Ferrothorn, and on HO you bounce off of other sweepers. On HO, this is a default pick in my eyes, the kind of pokemon you use, period. VERY good. I also think it has potential on BO too, but this is both underexplored and untested, so this idea could be trash, but I think it can have merit. That said, I think this deserves to rise.

B+ -> A-
I'm shocked this ever dropped. Easily one of the hardest things to switch into, with added tools like Spikes, it can be an effective offensive spiker that tusk and really any hazard removal wants nothing to do with, in the same vein as Ash Gren from SS. Of course, spikes loses out on the power its 4A set has. Rock Fairy Fire Ground is insanely powerful coverage, and Diancie has the stats to grab 2hkos or OHKOs vs the entire tier on the right call. Entry points do exist such as Torn, Zapdos, and pivots on BO aren't in low supply to supplement it otherwise. If there's one drawback, it's that Tera doesn't play nicely with it. Other than that though, this thing is excellent.

Pretend gliscor is here
C -> B-/B
This pokemon still got it. It does the exact same shit as before, SD tera sets are interesting, Tera Normal Facade hits hard, but i think it's better with tera types that add defensive utility. Tera Steel is probably best, but uh dont activate that before your poisoned lmao. That said, tera steel allows u to mess with Lele, while the idea of Tera grass is surprisingly interesting, as you now fodder ferrothorn, you already beat Heatran, and the water resist pays well vs rain.

-> UR
Yall got hidden talent. keep it hidden. Trash, get em outta here.

Aint got any replays of him but uh rank mandibuzz aight pce

View attachment 499264 A+ -> S-
Pretty much a second vouch on what hidin put prior, but these 2 are incredibly good rn. Kingambit imo is a step above of heatran and certainly of Gholdengo, fantastic pursuit trapper and wincon. While Mega Lopunny is very clear of the other megas not named Scizor, momentum game and it's MU into offense is incredible. Highly support these 2 being 3rd and 4th respectively.
Kingambit's speed is a major detriment. It is just slow enough that defensive Heatran, Gholdengo and Rotom can be EV'd to always outspeed 252+. Rotom will usually burn it, Heatran taunts it, and Gholdengo gets a Trick or Focus Blast in. A specs Pursuit-locked Kingambit can only guarantee the 2HKO on Gholdengo if it's offensive or specially defensive, even at 5 allies fainted. So long as the Gholdengo doesn't switch out.

The biggest issue with the burn on SD sets is the residual damage. Fake Out, Quick Attack and Extreme Speed neutralize Sucker Punch, and while they are resisted for a non-tera Kingambit, a burned Kingambit can be worn down surprisingly quickly, especially if it's running LO or even HDB.

Kingambit is essentially a power crept Mega Mawile; both have the same base speed and serve the role as Sucker Punch/SD sweepers. Kingambit surpasses Mega Mawile after two allies have fainted. But without Life Orb, it's still not powerful enough to beat the same checks to Mega Mawile from past gens without using tera.

That said, I agree that Mega Lopunny is bonkers, and I think it should be even higher. I just want to drop this calc:

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Blissey: 561-660 (78.5 - 92.4%) -- approx. 2HKO
252 Atk Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Blissey: 574-676 (80.3 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega Lopunny is a hair under replicating the STAB bonus of Mamoswine. Triple Axle is also bugged on the calculator: it OHKO's Dragonite 100% of the time due to the weakest hit breaking Multiscale.

I've never before seen a Pokemon spam strong attacks near the top of the speed tier. Not even Pheromosa. Mega Lop is closer to what Deoxys would be like if allowed into OU.

Nominating
:nihilego: Nihilego UR -> C

Nihilego @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 88 Def / 172 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Grass Knot
Speed for chomp, spa for speed boost beast boost, rest in defence

Nihilego is a strong early to mid game breaker and sweeper on (hyper) offense teams, and a potent offensive and defensive user of tera, on par with how well similar sweepers like volcarona and dragonite use it. Pre-tera, it is an extremely specially bulky rock type, able to switch into tornadus, zapdos, koko, iron moth, skeledirge, corv, and torkoal in order to start boosting. This ability to stomach multiple special moves from most of the tier gives the player more opportunities to set up and play around whatever nihilego is switching into, as well as making it harder to revenge kill after it has set up. However, when it is given the freedom to tera, nihilego becomes infinitely more effective. Of course every pokemon is able to invert their matchups with tera, but nihilego is able to make the most of the opportunity better than most thanks to its wide coverage and high special attack allowing it to be more likely to take out the pokemon trying to check it in one move, which increases its chance of snowballing with beast boost. I have seen tera water and ground used with success before, but I believe the most useful one is grass. This gives nihilego the best opportunity to take 1 or more KOs following the initial meteor beam (which is extremely difficult to switch into to begin with, especially with hazards up). Where it struggled last gen between choosing to hit steels with hp fire and grounds with hp ice, it can now hit both, running (stab) grass knot for the ground types, and retaining hp fire. When nihilego is at full hp, it is able to tera to avoid revenge killing attempts from mega scizor, urshifu r, and the occasional rillaboom, and ko back with the appropriate coverage move. Other targets it can 1v1 with its new typing are garchomp, lando, gholdengo, mega tyranitar, great tusk, scarf lele, mega diancie, mega swampert, walking wake, ting lu, and kartana. You cannot tera it every time obviously, but the sheer amount of matchups that are completely flipped for nihilego make it extremely valuable should the rest of your team be built with this in mind.
The other big thing nihilego appreciates in this generation is a lack of chansey or blissey, and dedicated special walls in general. Toxapex, slowking galar, excadrill, and melmetal are other previous obstacles whose presence has decreased significantly (or got banned) since gen 9 started. Nihilego has received 3 new checks in return in kingambit, ting lu, and clodsire, but overall they are less sturdy than the gen 8 options.

Overall, I think nihilego is able to capitalise on the current metagame trends which favour offensive teams with few truly bulky pokemon, since it is able to force progress in almost every game due to its high damage output and unpredictable coverage, leaving irreparable holes in the opponents defensive core. If more bulkier playstyles return though, it would become unusable pretty quickly.

Some replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1819592568-4dkx0k3nxt5eoo455lt37uzl21u0d4ppw (1911/no 4 peak)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1819566930-c20e50ea90xywvlak59hmvsk1z0mt3ppw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1819541945-jvrilpmhbn6vwtffhfmuw2dredysdx7pw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1819516610-xecsmdesj0pnz6wp3nlad807krr2yhjpw

thebestever543

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hello Folks, I nominate Celebi to the B- tier!

This one may come as a shocker, the long forgotten prince of OU is way past his glory days but in generation9 National Dex he has returned with a niche.

In some ways, I find Celebi is similar to Tyranitar. In Tar’s case, he is much more impressive offensively while Celebi sacrifices that offense for utility. Apart from that difference, I find that their typings are both viewed as a double edged sword, perhaps in Celebi’s case, viewed as flat out bad. While both of them suffer a ton because of their typings, it is also BECAUSE of their typings that they are able to succeed in ways many mons cannot. They endure many weaknesses in exchange for great resistances which makes them both capable of fulfilling a niche that some mons can’t. The reason I mention this is I want you to be mindful of the fact that just because a Pokémon has an unimpressive typing, it’s proven it CAN succeed.

Now, let’s dive into WHY this mon is worthy of B- and what it can do (quick note, calcs/replays at the end of the post).

I found Celebi is best utilized as a defensive pivot in generation9 National Dex OU. While in past modern gens (Gen7+) it has ran Z or took a more offensive approach, In generation 9 tera has gave it new options and helped remove unnecessary weakness in certain matchups since in some circumstances, it’s bulk from it’s spread is enough to take neutral hits from certain mons. Now, I know what you’re thinking “it’s a waste of a tera slot” or “why not just use something else”. Celebi functions as a versatile defensive pivot that checks unique mons such as specs Lele, Mixed Valiant, Tapus, Mega-Diancie, Wash, SD Shifu. There’s more notable mons such as Zama that I can list but I consider it more so as a soft check than anything. Apart from just being able to switch into these mons and take their hits, Celebi can force progress with its wide spread utility options such as Leech, Rocks, NP, CM or offer support for your team with Heal Bell, T wave. Alongside its great utility options, Celebi can still use its stab or coverage options to damage whats in front of it. Things like Valiant fall to Psychic, Lele will be worn down over time with either Stab, Leech or crippled with T wave for your other teammates to beat later. Diancie can’t beat you 1v1 because as you will see that I am a strong advocate for Covert and Celebi ignores the SpAtt drop and also threatens it back with a Stab grass move.

This is not the full extent of Celebi can do, when using it you will find that it accomplishes much more than you may have anticipated because it does things you can’t explain by looking at its stats or moves. Finally, Celebi is a great match up against fatter teams because of it shrugs off status with natural cure and has great match ups with annoying pivots you find on balanced and certain offense. Ferrothorn can’t touch you apart from knock which Celebi recovers off or uses it as an opportunity to make progress. Rotom Is completely walled, Clod is again shut down, Blissey is slightly more difficult because of toxic + seis and you can’t beat it 1v1 but you can again use it as an opportunity to either heal yourself (or your team) but this mu is more set dependent anyways because if you have rocks, you’ll likely end up clicking that. The list continues to go on, I left out countless mons that I wish I could fit in here but I’m pressed for time but I’m happy to answer and all questions.

Celebi @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

Speed for Zone with some crept up for an odd max speed Tar. You can change the spread, I’ve had success with 180 SpDef but overall less effective.

Covert Cloak allows it to stop Nacl from forcing and essentially slows their team down. It also has come in handy with securing kills by ignoring flinches and beating mons with stat dropping moves like Mystical Fire, Moonblast or even Ice Beam etc.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed
- Recover

You can swap some moves around, 56 speed for offensive MScizor, Drain can be Swapped with Psychic to better handle fighting types and Leech is also changeable for Heal Bell, T wave, Rocks.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1814474787-yv4iuxmpn4n1k4cdb76o5qhcspju45qpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1814414975-ti86otfji1ldgvbl257ofdubq1iabc1pw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1785053141-88el101hroyv1au49gqvj8g0v7i1c7bpw

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi in Psychic Terrain: 140-165 (34.6 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Celebi: 187-222 (46.2 - 54.9%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO

VALIANT
4 Atk Iron Valiant Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 118-140 (29.2 - 34.6%) -- 6.9% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Celebi: 108-127 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

TUSK
252 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 214-252 (52.9 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Celebi: 160-190 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

ZAMA
252 Atk Choice Band Tera Fighting Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Celebi: 140-165 (34.6 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Tera Fighting Zamazenta Crunch vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Celebi: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 55.1% chance to 2HKO

Additional
0 SpA Celebi Aura Sphere vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 264-312 (71.5 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Protosynthesis Walking Wake Devastating Drake (195 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Celebi: 322-381 (79.7 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Celebi Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Valiant: 294-348 (101.7 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
B3F69061-AA30-460F-8693-D128D29AED5F.jpeg
8B4EBB76-C300-4C73-B523-F3C7C24C3F7A.jpeg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)