Resource National Dex Role Compendium [Updated 3/17/24!]

Ineros

Checkmate, move along!
is a Pre-Contributor
Additions I would make, filter these through your own judgement or ignore if you wish.

In my opinion, status conditions should be put in the utility section, probably being miscellaneous or can even be its own section. They impact a game very much and can determine whether one can win or lose a matchup. For example, wearing down Pokémon without burn or toxic would be much harder (for example, Mola not having toxic would make it even MORE exploitable and dirge or wash not having burn would make them much less scary to physical attackers like msciz or mmedi), and paralysis can end games if one is unlucky (such as what serp does) These would only apply to the status versions of these status conditions for these moves, however, as something like discharge or scald is simply not consistent in how it dishes out status. For example, stufflike toxic/twave/willo/hypno would be included but not something like the aforementioned scald and discharge as well as… malignant chain or something like that. Not every mon runs status-inducing moves so it wouldn’t even be THAT long of a list, either. Here is how what I would put with every status:

Thunder Wave / Glare / Stun Spore: :latias-mega: :Ferrothorn: :Slowking-Galar: :Rotom-wash: :Serperior: :Clefable::Ribombee: :chansey:

Toxic:
:heatran: :Gliscor: :Landorus-Therian: :Toxapex: :Alomomola: :Tornadus-Therian: :clodsire: :chansey: :Aegislash: :Moltres:

Will-O-Wisp: :Rotom-wash: :Cinderace: :skeledirge: :Banette-Mega:

I’ll leave it up to you whether these deserve to be in niche or viable, but I feel this would be a worthwhile addition due to status being an integral part of the game as a whole.

other additions I’d make:
:Gyarados-Mega: to taunt: This thing uses taunt quite effectively, shutting down stall entirely and preventing pex from hazing its boosts.
:Iron Crown: to iron defense: I feel on screens where it uses speed booster iron defense is a great tool in helping it set up, prevent being killed by anything really, and start bowling through teams with stored power.
:Hydrapple: to Nasty Plot: Ok this isn’t THAT viable of a mon but it has a niche in my eyes, also there are other mons on this that are around the same level as it and it has a smogdex set so it’s probably worth mentioning. Nplot is its main set and can potentially be devastating for more bulky teams with the right luck (looking at you nd main character kybushi) while also providing ok defensive utility, staying around with regen and dealing with mons like waterpon and shifu quite well.
:Raging bolt: to a new section in priority called thunderclap: I don’t think I need to explain this one; tclap is raging bolt’s main way of rkilling things, and it does it quite well, revenge killing and even koing weakened Pokemon like Urshifu, nasty plot torn, mmedi, and weavile among others. Raging bolt is also a good mon itself, being A rank on the viability rankings.
:iron treads: to rain’s other abusers: I’ve heard from many that iron treads is able to work on rain structures, using its good typing and ability to remove hazards along with its now neutered fire weakness under rain to be a decent ground pick on those structures. It also is able to act as a good pivot with volt switch as well as having the naturally good qualities of its typing (checking lele, bolt, and offensive zapdos).

And uh to finish this post off I don’t know whether these would go in niche or viable because I wouldn’t have good judgement on that LOL

Last edited:
If Hydrapple is listed as a niche Nasty Plot user, then shouldn't Xurxitree be listed as a niche tail glow user? After all, Hydrapple as less usage than Xurxitree in the latest usage updates (as listed below). Also Xurxitree may have a case as a niche hypnosis user, with z-hypnosis to gain speed (very gimmicky but still).

| 97 | Xurkitree | 1.234% |
| 98 | Pecharunt | 1.223% |
| 99 | Iron Hands | 1.186% |
| 100 | Hydrapple | 1.115% |

Edit: Manaphy also has less usage than Xurxitree, so I really don't see how Xurxitree isn't on the compedium.
| 121 | Manaphy | 0.837% |

Last edited:
If Hydrapple is listed as a niche Nasty Plot user, then shouldn't Xurxitree be listed as a niche tail glow user? After all, Hydrapple as less usage than Xurxitree in the latest usage updates (as listed below). Also Xurxitree may have a case as a niche hypnosis user, with z-hypnosis to gain speed (very gimmicky but still).

Edit: Manaphy also has less usage than Xurxitree, so I really don't see how Xurxitree isn't on the compedium.
ladder usage =/= viability

FayaWizard

Amnesia
is an official Team Rater

Xurkitree is not ranked on the VR (and for good reason), while Manaphy is sitting comfortably at B rank. Like jawsome said, ladder usage does not reflect viability (Mega Bannette being used more than Mega Lopunny and a lot of other B-A rank mons, and Moltres still being in this tier despite being C+ rank).

Kin+ak (✧∇✧)

I COULD BE BANNED!
glastrier is a good TR abuser. Easy snowball (hope you get it) into 3 turns 3 kills, and thanks to its bulk and our lord and saviour TERA, you can still be threatening at the end of tr, which is not the case of, say, Hoopa U (wtf it doing ova there) or marowak alola, for being too frail (on one side or another) for That Really awful speed.
Edit: hey I found the exact perfect example! Mid ladder ~1600,
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-2108064710-rh186p3izuxv4k1z2r1306mxl7fl2c6pw
glastrier escalates quickly an Tera, though unneeded, (I killed with horse-power) pushed glastrier to make the opp forfeit While the situation was pretty advantageous for them

Last edited:
ladder usage =/= viability
Xurkitree is not ranked on the VR (and for good reason), while Manaphy is sitting comfortably at B rank. Like jawsome said, ladder usage does not reflect viability (Mega Bannette being used more than Mega Lopunny and a lot of other B-A rank mons, and Moltres still being in this tier despite being C+ rank).
Oh, so that's how it works. Thanks for letting me know!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)