Project National Dex OU Teambuilding Competition - Cycle 42: Mega Venusaur

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
Cyclizar/Dragapult Pivoting Offense

:ss/dragapult::ss/cyclizar::ss/great tusk::ss/tapu lele::ss/heatran::ss/rotom-wash:

This is basically an exercise in breaking Shed Tail complete with Choice Specs Dragapult. I considered using DD here but honestly Specs behind a sub gets a kill almost every time and is more reliable overall imo. Cyclizar is pretty good otherwise as well, Overheat deals with a decent amount of hazard setters and Tera Steel can defensively surprise Dragons and Fairies. Icium Z Tusk OHKOs Torn with the Z, which is more relevant when its behind a sub. Scarf Lele cleans pretty well in this meta, Tera Normal surprises DD Ghostium Pult if it gets out of hand (which it shouldn't ideally because the team can pressure it pretty well). Could also be Tera Fairy to further help out against unique Zama sets or Tera Water to surprise rain. Tera Grass Tran is dumb even without the Sub and with it basically confirms a kill as well. Tera Grass also helps out defensively with rain. Rotom-W also helps shore up the rain matchup, checks Torn, and pivots to get the breakers in.

adem

yap
is a Tutoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
:dragapult: :iron-valiant: :tyranitar-mega: :gastrodon: :tornadus-therian: :ferrothorn:
utility pult + band valiant + tar. valiant pult breaks, pult brings val in on darks like gambit ting lu etc, val bops most teams v easily w decent predicts barring stuff like pex clod type bulkier stuff, which spexs hex mixed pult cooks af. val also loves pult wisping stuff like mzor and ferro (if they see darts and guess dd), and val knocking stuff like av torn, ghold etc is super fire for pult. rest is fairly standard there shouldnt be any impossible mus, set spikes click moves

:dragapult: :victini: :ferrothorn: :moltres-galar: :tornadus-therian: :gastrodon:
I wanted to build around the core if dd pult and double dance gmolt since they can wear down their similar counters quite nicely. The rest of the team is there to support the two. Victini provides speed control and can server as an emergency switchin to lele or iron-valiant. Also trades w tera grass volc which the team could otherwisd struggle with. Gastro and Ferro are there for hazards and the Rain mu and Torn provides a proper ground immune and fighting resust as well as hazard removal

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Voting time

Team A - Cyclizar + Dragapult Pivoting Offense by Sputnik
Cyclizar/Dragapult Pivoting Offense

:ss/dragapult::ss/cyclizar::ss/great tusk::ss/tapu lele::ss/heatran::ss/rotom-wash:

This is basically an exercise in breaking Shed Tail complete with Choice Specs Dragapult. I considered using DD here but honestly Specs behind a sub gets a kill almost every time and is more reliable overall imo. Cyclizar is pretty good otherwise as well, Overheat deals with a decent amount of hazard setters and Tera Steel can defensively surprise Dragons and Fairies. Icium Z Tusk OHKOs Torn with the Z, which is more relevant when its behind a sub. Scarf Lele cleans pretty well in this meta, Tera Normal surprises DD Ghostium Pult if it gets out of hand (which it shouldn't ideally because the team can pressure it pretty well). Could also be Tera Fairy to further help out against unique Zama sets or Tera Water to surprise rain. Tera Grass Tran is dumb even without the Sub and with it basically confirms a kill as well. Tera Grass also helps out defensively with rain. Rotom-W also helps shore up the rain matchup, checks Torn, and pivots to get the breakers in.
Team B - Utility Dragapult + Choice Band Valiant by adem
:dragapult: :iron-valiant: :tyranitar-mega: :gastrodon: :tornadus-therian: :ferrothorn:
utility pult + band valiant + tar. valiant pult breaks, pult brings val in on darks like gambit ting lu etc, val bops most teams v easily w decent predicts barring stuff like pex clod type bulkier stuff, which spexs hex mixed pult cooks af. val also loves pult wisping stuff like mzor and ferro (if they see darts and guess dd), and val knocking stuff like av torn, ghold etc is super fire for pult. rest is fairly standard there shouldnt be any impossible mus, set spikes click moves
Team C - Dragon Dance Dragapult + Double Dance Galar-Moltres by ArSd
:dragapult: :victini: :ferrothorn: :moltres-galar: :tornadus-therian: :gastrodon:
I wanted to build around the core if dd pult and double dance gmolt since they can wear down their similar counters quite nicely. The rest of the team is there to support the two. Victini provides speed control and can server as an emergency switchin to lele or iron-valiant. Also trades w tera grass volc which the team could otherwisd struggle with. Gastro and Ferro are there for hazards and the Rain mu and Torn provides a proper ground immune and fighting resust as well as hazard removal
Voting ends Friday 20th January, 1 PM GMT

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Team C Wins, onto the next round!
Cycle 4: Great Tusk
:sv/great-tusk:
Cycle ends January 25th!

Reactions: R8
:sm/lopunny-mega: :ss/dragapult: :sv/great tusk: :sm/rotom-wash: :sm/heatran: :sv/kingambit:
TEAM PASTE:
Mega Lop with p-up punch to potentially break past weakened teams.
DD Pult to either break or sweep like Lop.
AV tusks is goated: guaranteed to survive a Moonblast from Mega Diancie after rocks(not crit oc) and OHKO it back with headlong.
Wash is rain check + will-o spreader
Tran is sun check + trapper
Kingambit is Pult check(you know it's bad when you need a dedicated pult check)

Last edited:
:garganacl::tornadus-therian::scizor-mega::great tusk::gholdengo::dragapult:
Wanted to use Garg because hes pretty cool and sets up and punishes all of the waters which can abuse Great Tusk, albeit at the cost of being a Tera hog. Scizor and Gholdengo provide Fairy and Psychic resists for Tusk, the former helping us bring in our strong breakers and have some reliable revenge killing, while the later helps us out by tricking fats and outpacing Dragapult if still scarfed.
In games vs DD pult you can save Tera and use Tera Normal on Gholdengo to make them feel real sad, otherwise you almost always Tera Garg.
Defensive core on this is pretty solid since Garg is an honorary Ghost resist.
Heatran can be annoying if you havent had a chance to Tera Garg yet so make sure you do that asap

R8

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Voting round !

Team A - SoBalancedGuys
:sm/lopunny-mega: :ss/dragapult: :sv/great tusk: :sm/rotom-wash: :sm/heatran: :sv/kingambit:
TEAM PASTE:
Mega Lop with p-up punch to potentially break past weakened teams.
DD Pult to either break or sweep like Lop.
AV tusks is goated: guaranteed to survive a Moonblast from Mega Diancie after rocks(not crit oc) and OHKO it back with headlong.
Wash is rain check + will-o spreader
Tran is sun check + trapper
Kingambit is Pult check(you know it's bad when you need a dedicated pult check)
Team B - Jho
:garganacl::tornadus-therian::scizor-mega::great tusk::gholdengo::dragapult:
Wanted to use Garg because hes pretty cool and sets up and punishes all of the waters which can abuse Great Tusk, albeit at the cost of being a Tera hog. Scizor and Gholdengo provide Fairy and Psychic resists for Tusk, the former helping us bring in our strong breakers and have some reliable revenge killing, while the later helps us out by tricking fats and outpacing Dragapult if still scarfed.
In games vs DD pult you can save Tera and use Tera Normal on Gholdengo to make them feel real sad, otherwise you almost always Tera Garg.
Defensive core on this is pretty solid since Garg is an honorary Ghost resist.
Heatran can be annoying if you havent had a chance to Tera Garg yet so make sure you do that asap
Voting ends this Friday

Sputnik

is a Contributor Alumnus
BU Tera Electric Annihilape Balance
:ss/annihilape::ss/kartana::ss/tyranitar-mega::ss/heatran::ss/dragonite::ss/tapu lele:

I'm honestly not the biggest Annihilape fan and using the fat BU set is ridiculously unfun to me for some reason so I wanted to do something a little different. This is an offensive BU set that is quite physically powerful, and it has Tera Electric with Tera Blast to act as a hard Torn-T lure for Kart when up against those teams. +1 Tera Blast OHKOs Fat Torn while it charges Rage Fist for you, so it's a funny set against those teams while still being somewhat decent offensively elsewhere. Z Kart is pretty good in this meta as a breaker and thrives against Torn teams once the bird has been removed. It also helps out when it comes to pivoting against rain. I have Fight Z on this but Normal Z could also be an option if you want insurance against Zapdos rain. TTar helps out mightily against Pult while also taking advantage of the fact that both Kart and Lele tend to bait in some of our most dangerous Ghost types. Roar Heatran acts as a bit of glue here while also being the Espa answer. It can fit both Toxic and Roar because TTar sets rocks, so its a pretty decent utility mon into most builds. Scarf Lele with Tera Fairy is needed as the whole team gets wrecked by CM Valiant otherwise. (Tera Grass Heatran can also help here). Finally, I wanted a more solid check to Heatran that also effectively dealt with Ground-types, so Ice Punch Defog Dragonite fits pretty well, as it threatens many of our Stealth Rockers while also taking most hits at least once due to Multiscale, which is invaluable in a meta as high powered as this. I'm not gonna pretend that this isn't goofy but the Ape set is fun so go wild.

Sputnik

is a Contributor Alumnus
Choice Band Iron Valiant Bulky Offense

:ss/iron-valiant::ss/tapu-koko::ss/mandibuzz::ss/gastrodon::ss/gholdengo::ss/altaria-mega:

Iron Valiant+Koko is really good right now, but I'm trying a different twist with Choice Band Tera Fighting Valiant. The set is EVd to get attack boosted by terrain instead of speed, so you essentially get to be budget Gdarm as you blast away at teams defensive cores. Combine that with Tera Fighting and you get some exceptionally stupid calcs.

252 Atk Choice Band Quark Drive Tera Fighting Iron Valiant Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 136-161 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Quark Drive Tera Fighting Iron Valiant Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 380-448 (82 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Quark Drive Tera Fighting Iron Valiant Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tornadus: 341-402 (94.1 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Knock hits Ghold, Ice Punch hits Lando, Spirit Break hits Ape and is STAB that doesn't lower your defenses, but really clicking CC is the game here as the meta is just not equipped to switch into this right now at all and has to rely on either sacking stuff or trying to pivot around with Ghosts and hoping you don't predict that. You could also go Adamant to really go nuts with the power but ur speed tier kinda sucks then. The rest of the team is fairly self explanatory, Koko sets Terrain and functions as a nice pivot, Mandibuzz is Espathra copium that defogs, EVs let it switch into Specs Draco from Pult at full if it has to and it has the bulk to tank a +1 Tera Fairy boosted DGleam from Espa and phaze it out. Gastro rocks and checks rain, Ghold is just mad good and helps take care of fatter teams more reliably. Colbur Berry spells Weavile who is probably this team's worst matchup. Finally we have Mega Altaria, who has the bulk to help me pivot around dangerous Darks and Dragons while also making it so I don't have to lose a mon every time Tera Grass Heatran shows up. Great Tusk is irritating for this but it also gets chased out by Valiant which means the other team is probably losing a mon and there are tools to pivot around it and win first against Tusk teams. Either way CB Valiant is mad fun I advise others try it out.

Last edited:

R8

National Dex Leader
Voting time!

Team A by Sputnik
Choice Band Iron Valiant Bulky Offense

:ss/iron-valiant::ss/tapu-koko::ss/mandibuzz::ss/gastrodon::ss/gholdengo::ss/altaria-mega:

Iron Valiant+Koko is really good right now, but I'm trying a different twist with Choice Band Tera Fighting Valiant. The set is EVd to get attack boosted by terrain instead of speed, so you essentially get to be budget Gdarm as you blast away at teams defensive cores. Combine that with Tera Fighting and you get some exceptionally stupid calcs.

252 Atk Choice Band Quark Drive Tera Fighting Iron Valiant Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 136-161 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Quark Drive Tera Fighting Iron Valiant Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 380-448 (82 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Quark Drive Tera Fighting Iron Valiant Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tornadus: 341-402 (94.1 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Knock hits Ghold, Ice Punch hits Lando, Spirit Break hits Ape and is STAB that doesn't lower your defenses, but really clicking CC is the game here as the meta is just not equipped to switch into this right now at all and has to rely on either sacking stuff or trying to pivot around with Ghosts and hoping you don't predict that. You could also go Adamant to really go nuts with the power but ur speed tier kinda sucks then. The rest of the team is fairly self explanatory, Koko sets Terrain and functions as a nice pivot, Mandibuzz is Espathra copium that defogs, EVs let it switch into Specs Draco from Pult at full if it has to and it has the bulk to tank a +1 Tera Fairy boosted DGleam from Espa and phaze it out. Gastro rocks and checks rain, Ghold is just mad good and helps take care of fatter teams more reliably. Colbur Berry spells Weavile who is probably this team's worst matchup. Finally we have Mega Altaria, who has the bulk to help me pivot around dangerous Darks and Dragons while also making it so I don't have to lose a mon every time Tera Grass Heatran shows up. Great Tusk is irritating for this but it also gets chased out by Valiant which means the other team is probably losing a mon and there are tools to pivot around it and win first against Tusk teams. Either way CB Valiant is mad fun I advise others try it out.
Team B by SoBalancedGuys
:sv/Cyclizar: :sm/Tapu Koko: :sv/espathra: :sv/Kingambit: :sm/Gyarados-mega: :sv/Iron Valiant:
Classic Koko + Lizar HO
(no skill team :blobthumbsup: )
Espathra + Gyarados sweep
Valiant is speed control, gambit is too, but less reliable b/c sucker. CM Valiant kinda sucks imo, choice specs might be better.
(got to submit something or else R8 be big sad that only sputnik submitted)​
Voting end the 17th

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)