Project National Dex OU Teambuilding Competition - Cycle 45: Meowscarada (Voting)

:tapu-koko::ogerpon-hearthflame::gholdengo::sneasler::great tusk::iron valiant:

Screens HO truly makes Ogerpon shine, just set up and sweep essentially alongside partners that benefit from electric surge like sneasler/valiant. Dengo is on the bulkier side with NP + Recover and enough speed to outdo neutral tusk, and your own tusk for hazard removal or you can run sr>attacking moves.

Last edited:
Welp, time for me to start cookin... hope you guys like PepperOni Pizza... (Get it? Scovillain is a pepper and ogerpon is an oni... anyway thats the link.)

Anyway, bad puns aside, being the sun lover that I am, I had to try out Heartflame Ogerpon, and its honestly kinda duscusting.

:scovillain:
It may not be venusaur in the terms of consistency, but this thing sure is packing under sun. It's Fire Blast nukes most neutral targets due to sheer firepower. Giga Drain helps us here for some longevity, since it usually gets chipped quickly between hazards and life orb. Stomping Tantrum is here for suprising Heatrans switchin in predicting Fire Blast. And Growth gives it SD + NP under sun, why wouldnt u use it? Scovillain can be used here as an early to midgame sweeper so that Ogerpon can pick up whats left, or viceversa.

:ogerpon-hearthflame:
The main star of the show. Ivy Cudgel under sun can hit some big numbers, especially since no Heatran is daring to switch into it due to it having Mold Breaker as a Pre tera ability(yeah, first time hearing that one). Horn Leech is good similar to how Scovillain uses Giga Drain, longevity is really effective for aggresive plays. Swords Dance because a +2 on this thing is crazy. And Trailblaze gives us a +1 speed, which can help u beat most common scarfers after a boost, like Tapu Lele and Kartana. Also if u reserve Tera for this mon, it changes its ability to Embody Aspect... which gives a permanent +1 atk... that is just gross. It does come at the cost of Mold Breaker do keep that in mind, but this thing ends up reaching ridiculous numbers between Tera, Swords Dance, its ability boost and Sun all at once.

:torkoal:
The sun setter of choice, since it grants us more sun turns for us to abuse, unlike Yard(Do Yard + Ogerpon is another nasty combo). Stealth Rock because... its Stealth Rock. Lava Plume is nice for burn chance. Body Press can hit suprisingly hard due to torkoal's high physical bulk. And I choose Yawn over Toxic cause Yawn can put the opponent in an odd spot, where they either switch out and we predict that to allow us a switch into either Scovillain or Ogerpon, or they stay and have that mon asleep, also granting us a switch. Tera Water is good when facing rain in particular, do u rarely use it outside of this matchup.

:Great Tusk:
Solid mon in general. Protosynthesis gives it a +1 under sun which is "Great". Rapid helps u fight the hazards and gives u a +1 speed as a bonus, which can help u wallbreak in some cases for your scov or pon to clean up. Headlong Rush and Close Combat are just high power STABs to abuse, and Ice Spinner is a solid coverage that can also help u clean up terrains. I gave this Tusk an Icium Z to combat Heatran much easier if it uses Tera Grass. It also helps vs Zapdos to avoid being at risk of Static, and its overall a "Great" nuke, but Heavy Duty Boots can still be keeped.

:Tapu Lele:
I like Tapu Lele in here for a few reasons. 1, it helps u fight annoying priority moves like Dnite's Espeed or Mega Lop's Fake Out, giving solid team support. 2, its a solid scarfer as a whole, giving the team even more speed control. And 3, Future Sight, this move puts so much pressure on the opponent, as you can put them in a lot of odd spots. Wanna use a Dark type? try that in the face of a +1 atk Great Tusk. Have a special wall? Ogerpon can hit u physically. Only Pex can switchin safely? Not if a 120 base power physhic move has something to say about it. Psyshock is also good, as it can help us hit mons like Yard harder, do Psychic fits in just fine, its mainly just preference. Moonblast is a solid Fairy Stab as a whole, and Hidden Power Fire helps us vs Dengo, Ferro and Mega Scizor, which simply nukes them under sun.

:rotom-wash:
Mon is mainly here for its utility. It helps greatly vs Rain since it treatens their Rain setter and can get some rain boosted Hydro Pumps to hit mons like Mega Swampert quite hard under said opposing rain. Defog is a must have on the set since this team is very weak to hazards. Volt Switch is great for pivoting into a sun abuser safely, giving Scovillain, Great Tusk or Ogerpon opportunity to swing the game on our team's favor. Pain Split can give us a form of longevity, which can be helpful. Tera Ghost can be ocasionally useful in some matchups like SD Gliscor, Great Tusk and Ursaluna. Quick note; the given evs can allow it to survive a Mega Charizard Y's Solar Beam from full health, while also having some physical bulk to take on some rain abusers in a pinch.

All in all its a really fun team to play(unless you hate Ogerpon which i dont blame you) and pretty good as well. It is a bit yolo, as in all or notin, but that is just how sun naturally is anyways. Hope you guys like this team I made for ya.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/8221bef7d94645ad

Koko/MGyara + Ogerpon Screens HO

Teambuilding Process:
As all good Screen HOs should, the team started with Tapu Koko and MGyara. Ogerpon was the natural choice for the next slot as it annihilates things like Tapu Fini and Ferrothorn for MGyara. Gholdengo slots right in to block Defog, and is VERY bulky behind screens, as well as matching up nicely into Trick Room and BLoona, which can pose a problem to HO. Sneasler goes well with Koko and is emergency speed control. Volcarona provides a second special attacker.

Koko:
Standard Screens Setter set, with Taunt to block Defog and U-turn over Volt Switch so ground types don't block it. Tera Flying provides an emergency button against Tusk and Lando.

MGyara:
Double-STABs and Substitute to dodge status. A big threat against all playstyles, and especially against Stall thanks to Mold Breaker and Substitute.

Ogerpon:
The elephant in the room. Swords Dance and Trailblaze (which it uses on lots of things it forces out for free eg Fini, Rillaboom, Ghold so it isn't a niche/high-rise option) to make it a fearsome set-up sweeper, Ivy Cudgel is Ivy Cudgel, and Horn Leech is there over Power Whip/Wood Hammer/Coverage because you Only need Ivy Cudgel to nuke everything and Horn Leech provides valuable longevity and still 2hkoes Pex.

Gholdengo:
Helps me keep my screens up and blasts past things which otherwise trouble HO like Zama, as well as matching up well into Trick Room, another threat to HO. The EVs are the standard Smogon set and Tera Water helps the matchup against opposing Gholdengo at the cost of the Garg matchup, but Sneasler/Ogerpon deal with Garg, as well as allowing me to dodge Ivy Cudgel from opposing Firepon.

Sneasler:
Emergency speed control really. Also helps vs Garg and Bisharp, which has begun to spring up, as well as Mega Diancie. Jolly over Adamant to outspeed Ogerpon if I don't have the terrain speed boost.

Volcarona:
A backup special attacker which hits Skarm and the occasional Buzzwole for MGyara and Sneasler. EVd to outspeed MLop at +1 and then to take physical hits from the likes of Zama and Ogerpon, as well as soft-checking physical attackers in general with Flame Body. It also deals with Ghold. I've gone for double STAB with roost over coverage like Giga Drain/HP Ground as the only other Mon on the team which struggles with Heatran is Gholdengo so it's not a problem, and with roost it can muscle past Garg after Teraing without Giga drain. Thinking of Tera Water over fairy on it to keep the MiR resistance, though this means it doesn't beat Garg, so I'll probably stick with Fairy as it also shrugs of Baxcalibur's Glaive Rush/Scale Shot.

Threat list:

Dragonite can take hits from the whole team and the only thing which outspeeds it after a DD is Sneasler after ESeed Unburden, which can't threaten it anyway, and it becomes very bulky after a Curse, with nothing to fear from Ghold or Volc. Thankfully it isn't too common, but you have to play aggressively against it and not give it any free turns.

Trick Room is just HO's nightmare in General. keep Ghold and Volc healthy, and play aggressively with MGayra. Again, it's thankfully not too common.

Firepon just outspeeds and kills everything. Don't give it any free turns and make sure to keep ETerrain up so Sneasler can come in and revenge it. MGyara also helps with it with Intimidate pre-Mega.

Sneasler does the same. Keep Ghold healthy and don't Mega Evolve Gyarados in this mu.

I've probably missed some. Too many threats in this meta lol.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1951346605
Oh and a replay too - who said HO can't last 40 turns?

Hope my explanations make sense and happy gaming!

Last edited:
:ribombee: | :gardevoir-mega: | :ogerpon-hearthflame: | :gholdengo: | :sandy shocks: | :sneasler:

webs with da pon :)

:ribombee: - web setter with shield dust so it ignores fake out. hp steel to kill mdiancie.

:gardevoir-mega: - strong psychic/fairy mon with ways to hit both physical and special walls/tanks. (additionally you can run lele over mgarde but style points yknow)

:ogerpon-hearthflame: the star of the show. strong stabs + knock for disrupting like removing helmet on lando

:gholdengo: - staple webs mom. blocks rapid spin and defog and is generally strong special mon

:sandy shocks: - tbh this is only here because i like it but it has in fact proven itself useful. tera ice terablast to kill unsuspecting grounds

:sneasler: - additional speed control thats also just strong as shit. think hawlucha but on steroids. night slash to kill ghosts

all of these mons (except bee and maybe shocks) have serious sweeping potential and can quickly end games.

edit: i fuckin wrote mom for dengo bruh :sob:

Last edited:

R8

On LoA
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Voting time!

Team A
Rigged.
https://pokepast.es/17ec26427c256366
Haters can hate but this is broken
Team B
:tapu-koko::ogerpon-hearthflame::gholdengo::sneasler::great tusk::iron valiant:

Screens HO truly makes Ogerpon shine, just set up and sweep essentially alongside partners that benefit from electric surge like sneasler/valiant. Dengo is on the bulkier side with NP + Recover and enough speed to outdo neutral tusk, and your own tusk for hazard removal or you can run sr>attacking moves.
Team C
Welp, time for me to start cookin... hope you guys like PepperOni Pizza... (Get it? Scovillain is a pepper and ogerpon is an oni... anyway thats the link.)

Anyway, bad puns aside, being the sun lover that I am, I had to try out Heartflame Ogerpon, and its honestly kinda duscusting.

:scovillain:
It may not be venusaur in the terms of consistency, but this thing sure is packing under sun. It's Fire Blast nukes most neutral targets due to sheer firepower. Giga Drain helps us here for some longevity, since it usually gets chipped quickly between hazards and life orb. Stomping Tantrum is here for suprising Heatrans switchin in predicting Fire Blast. And Growth gives it SD + NP under sun, why wouldnt u use it? Scovillain can be used here as an early to midgame sweeper so that Ogerpon can pick up whats left, or viceversa.

:ogerpon-hearthflame:
The main star of the show. Ivy Cudgel under sun can hit some big numbers, especially since no Heatran is daring to switch into it due to it having Mold Breaker as a Pre tera ability(yeah, first time hearing that one). Horn Leech is good similar to how Scovillain uses Giga Drain, longevity is really effective for aggresive plays. Swords Dance because a +2 on this thing is crazy. And Trailblaze gives us a +1 speed, which can help u beat most common scarfers after a boost, like Tapu Lele and Kartana. Also if u reserve Tera for this mon, it changes its ability to Embody Aspect... which gives a permanent +1 atk... that is just gross. It does come at the cost of Mold Breaker do keep that in mind, but this thing ends up reaching ridiculous numbers between Tera, Swords Dance, its ability boost and Sun all at once.

:torkoal:
The sun setter of choice, since it grants us more sun turns for us to abuse, unlike Yard(Do Yard + Ogerpon is another nasty combo). Stealth Rock because... its Stealth Rock. Lava Plume is nice for burn chance. Body Press can hit suprisingly hard due to torkoal's high physical bulk. And I choose Yawn over Toxic cause Yawn can put the opponent in an odd spot, where they either switch out and we predict that to allow us a switch into either Scovillain or Ogerpon, or they stay and have that mon asleep, also granting us a switch. Tera Water is good when facing rain in particular, do u rarely use it outside of this matchup.

:Great Tusk:
Solid mon in general. Protosynthesis gives it a +1 under sun which is "Great". Rapid helps u fight the hazards and gives u a +1 speed as a bonus, which can help u wallbreak in some cases for your scov or pon to clean up. Headlong Rush and Close Combat are just high power STABs to abuse, and Ice Spinner is a solid coverage that can also help u clean up terrains. I gave this Tusk an Icium Z to combat Heatran much easier if it uses Tera Grass. It also helps vs Zapdos to avoid being at risk of Static, and its overall a "Great" nuke, but Heavy Duty Boots can still be keeped.

:Tapu Lele:
I like Tapu Lele in here for a few reasons. 1, it helps u fight annoying priority moves like Dnite's Espeed or Mega Lop's Fake Out, giving solid team support. 2, its a solid scarfer as a whole, giving the team even more speed control. And 3, Future Sight, this move puts so much pressure on the opponent, as you can put them in a lot of odd spots. Wanna use a Dark type? try that in the face of a +1 atk Great Tusk. Have a special wall? Ogerpon can hit u physically. Only Pex can switchin safely? Not if a 120 base power physhic move has something to say about it. Psyshock is also good, as it can help us hit mons like Yard harder, do Psychic fits in just fine, its mainly just preference. Moonblast is a solid Fairy Stab as a whole, and Hidden Power Fire helps us vs Dengo, Ferro and Mega Scizor, which simply nukes them under sun.

:rotom-wash:
Mon is mainly here for its utility. It helps greatly vs Rain since it treatens their Rain setter and can get some rain boosted Hydro Pumps to hit mons like Mega Swampert quite hard under said opposing rain. Defog is a must have on the set since this team is very weak to hazards. Volt Switch is great for pivoting into a sun abuser safely, giving Scovillain, Great Tusk or Ogerpon opportunity to swing the game on our team's favor. Pain Split can give us a form of longevity, which can be helpful. Tera Ghost can be ocasionally useful in some matchups like SD Gliscor, Great Tusk and Ursaluna. Quick note; the given evs can allow it to survive a Mega Charizard Y's Solar Beam from full health, while also having some physical bulk to take on some rain abusers in a pinch.

All in all its a really fun team to play(unless you hate Ogerpon which i dont blame you) and pretty good as well. It is a bit yolo, as in all or notin, but that is just how sun naturally is anyways. Hope you guys like this team I made for ya.
Team D
:Ninetales-Alola: - :Ogerpon-Hearthflame: - :Baxcalibur: - :Hatterene: - :Manaphy: - :Ursaluna-Bloodmoon:
Hello! I bring here an HO, which is where Ogerpon can shine and work the most.
Team E
https://pokepast.es/8221bef7d94645ad

Koko/MGyara + Ogerpon Screens HO

Teambuilding Process:
As all good Screen HOs should, the team started with Tapu Koko and MGyara. Ogerpon was the natural choice for the next slot as it annihilates things like Tapu Fini and Ferrothorn for MGyara. Gholdengo slots right in to block Defog, and is VERY bulky behind screens, as well as matching up nicely into Trick Room and BLoona, which can pose a problem to HO. Sneasler goes well with Koko and is emergency speed control. Volcarona provides a second special attacker.

Koko:
Standard Screens Setter set, with Taunt to block Defog and U-turn over Volt Switch so ground types don't block it. Tera Flying provides an emergency button against Tusk and Lando.

MGyara:
Double-STABs and Substitute to dodge status. A big threat against all playstyles, and especially against Stall thanks to Mold Breaker and Substitute.

Ogerpon:
The elephant in the room. Swords Dance and Trailblaze (which it uses on lots of things it forces out for free eg Fini, Rillaboom, Ghold so it isn't a niche/high-rise option) to make it a fearsome set-up sweeper, Ivy Cudgel is Ivy Cudgel, and Horn Leech is there over Power Whip/Wood Hammer/Coverage because you Only need Ivy Cudgel to nuke everything and Horn Leech provides valuable longevity and still 2hkoes Pex.

Gholdengo:
Helps me keep my screens up and blasts past things which otherwise trouble HO like Zama, as well as matching up well into Trick Room, another threat to HO. The EVs are the standard Smogon set and Tera Water helps the matchup against opposing Gholdengo at the cost of the Garg matchup, but Sneasler/Ogerpon deal with Garg, as well as allowing me to dodge Ivy Cudgel from opposing Firepon.

Sneasler:
Emergency speed control really. Also helps vs Garg and Bisharp, which has begun to spring up, as well as Mega Diancie. Jolly over Adamant to outspeed Ogerpon if I don't have the terrain speed boost.

Volcarona:
A backup special attacker which hits Skarm and the occasional Buzzwole for MGyara and Sneasler. EVd to outspeed MLop at +1 and then to take physical hits from the likes of Zama and Ogerpon, as well as soft-checking physical attackers in general with Flame Body. It also deals with Ghold. I've gone for double STAB with roost over coverage like Giga Drain/HP Ground as the only other Mon on the team which struggles with Heatran is Gholdengo so it's not a problem, and with roost it can muscle past Garg after Teraing without Giga drain. Thinking of Tera Water over fairy on it to keep the MiR resistance, though this means it doesn't beat Garg, so I'll probably stick with Fairy as it also shrugs of Baxcalibur's Glaive Rush/Scale Shot.

Threat list:

Dragonite can take hits from the whole team and the only thing which outspeeds it after a DD is Sneasler after ESeed Unburden, which can't threaten it anyway, and it becomes very bulky after a Curse, with nothing to fear from Ghold or Volc. Thankfully it isn't too common, but you have to play aggressively against it and not give it any free turns.

Trick Room is just HO's nightmare in General. keep Ghold and Volc healthy, and play aggressively with MGayra. Again, it's thankfully not too common.

Firepon just outspeeds and kills everything. Don't give it any free turns and make sure to keep ETerrain up so Sneasler can come in and revenge it. MGyara also helps with it with Intimidate pre-Mega.

Sneasler does the same. Keep Ghold healthy and don't Mega Evolve Gyarados in this mu.

I've probably missed some. Too many threats in this meta lol.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1951346605
Oh and a replay too - who said HO can't last 40 turns?

Hope my explanations make sense and happy gaming!
Team F
:ribombee: | :gardevoir-mega: | :ogerpon-hearthflame: | :gholdengo: | :sandy shocks: | :sneasler:

webs with da pon :)

:ribombee: - web setter with shield dust so it ignores fake out. hp steel to kill mdiancie.

:gardevoir-mega: - strong psychic/fairy mon with ways to hit both physical and special walls/tanks. (additionally you can run lele over mgarde but style points yknow)

:ogerpon-hearthflame: the star of the show. strong stabs + knock for disrupting like removing helmet on lando

:gholdengo: - staple webs mom. blocks rapid spin and defog and is generally strong special mon

:sandy shocks: - tbh this is only here because i like it but it has in fact proven itself useful. tera ice terablast to kill unsuspecting grounds

:sneasler: - additional speed control thats also just strong as shit. think hawlucha but on steroids. night slash to kill ghosts

all of these mons (except bee and maybe shocks) have serious sweeping potential and can quickly end games.
Voting ends on Thursday 8 PM, gmt+2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)