Project National Dex OU Teambuilding Competition - Cycle 44: Latios-Mega

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Congrats to Ineros for winning this slate!
And shoutout to Retereereeeree for getting a riddle right and choosing this slate!

Cycle 42: Mega Venusaur
:sv/venusaur-mega:

Mega Venusaur brings a lot to the table innately, as its typing, strength, and utility are all great and make it a solid Pokemon in the metagame. But you already know that the main purpose is to build around it, so get to that!
Submissions close March 29th!

Mega Venusaur Fat Balance

:venusaur-mega: :gliscor: :heatran: :alomomola: :tornadus-therian: :hatterene:

Mega Venusaur is really bulky and does well against the Fairy- and Fighting-types in the tier like Urshifu-R, Iron Valiant, Tapu Koko and Zamazenta. Gliscor offers a safe switch in against Zapdos which Mega Venusaur struggles with, while being able to tank most neutral hits for the team, set up Spikes, inflict others with Toxic and punish Steel- and Fire-types like Iron Treads with Earthquake. Heatran can switch into strong Psychic- and Flying-type moves that Mega Venusaur struggles with, such as Tapu Lele's Psychic or Tornadus-T's Hurricane, while stacking more hazards in Stealth Rock, and removing Pokemon like Ferrothorn. Alomomola offers Wish support for Heatran, while being a good answer to Ground-types like Garchomp or Landorus-T with Scald and natural bulk. It also acts as a secondary rain answer, as Mega Venusaur's Synthesis is weakened in rain. Tornadus-T completes the Regenerator core with Alomomola, acts as hazard removal support, and can remove weakened foes with Supersonic Skystrike if necessary, while removing opponents' items, good for the hazard stack core, while forming a FlipTurn core with Alomomola. Lastly, Hatterene stops status and hazards from the opposing team, can handle strong Dragon-types like Raging Bolt or Kommo-O, and is a solid wincon against bulkier teams who can't cleanly 2HKO her, with Draining Kiss recovery.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-2088150642-lagpcw63lzzuaxiiq2t0qvml8eev2kwpw

Last edited:

Oculars

REVERSE SHAMONE
is a Tiering Contributor
WONDERFUL FROG BALANCE
:sv/venusaur-mega: :sv/tapu-koko: :sv/iron-valiant: :sv/corviknight: :sv/landorus-therian: :sv/skeledirge:

Mege venu is great at being annoying and fat so i threw it on with other annoying and fat mons such as skeledirge and corviknight which forms a very solid defensive core then added landorus for some mandatory ground and rocks + z rock move power to goob zapdos players and added cm koko cause I keep losing to it in gen7 and it pairs nicely with Ival as a fast specs cleaner and general nuissance with shadow ball spam.​

Last edited:
:Venusaur-Mega: :Darkrai: :Tapu-Lele: :Heatran: :Landorus-Therian: :Zamazenta:

Ok so looking at this thread, it's a bit hard to have a team that stands out from the other since mvenu fits on a specific team type, but i think mine is unique enough.I just had to jump in, considering its the WONDERFUL FROG we are talking about!

Mega Venu is a nice bulky mon that can both take hits and deal damage back, its typing+ ability let it tank A LOT of hits from a lot of mons.Darkrai is a great addition to this team, as it can hit a big majority of the metagame and with the help of stealth rocks 2 shot them.Tera (Dark) Dark Pulse is a very spammable move, while Trick can help with annoying mons like :blissey: and other bulky mons like tera fairy garg.Tapu Lele with AV is a whole beast, being able to tank a lot of hits thrown at its way.You could also very easily slot a z move on it, i've had some nice succes with Psychium Z.Heatran does silly heatran stuff traps thing sets rocks etc.Zamazenta is there to help Mvenu vs :zapdos: :moltres:.Zamazenta in general is a very scary mon in this meta, as you never know what set it is until it annihilates one of your mons.A bit too scary imo, but that's a post for another time.

I hope you enjoy using this team, it was fun building it.

FOR ALL THE FAKE ASS DEFENSIVE GRASSES OUT THERE AND OGERPON-WELLSPRING!
WE STRAIGHT DISSIN YO ASS IN THIS MUTHAFUCKER!
AND JUST TO THINK I USED TO LIKE YOU!

Real Nigg*z

:moltres: :venusaur-mega: :garganacl: :gliscor: :mew: :alomomola:

Fat (borderline stall) team centered around Mvenu checking Waterpon and Mew + Alomomola cheesing through an otherwise shit stall matchup.
You wanna chip down ur opponent with combination of Leech seed, Salt cure and Toxic and if you pull it off you remove a piece from the opponent with mew, maybe more than one if you play it really well with Mola's wishes.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-2090627560 - replay of mew going crazy even without making something struggle to death

Last edited:
:incineroar: :iron treads: :garganacl: :skarmory: :venusaur-mega: :chansey:
Venusaur-Mega Incineroar Fat

Semi-stall/fat without the BS. No unaware, no regen, no gliscor, no setup sweepers, no volt-turn spam, no boots spam, no scarfer, no priority, just pure synergy.

Somehow has good matchup vs most high ladder teams, with most threats in the meta countered by at least one of the mons. I have used this team exclusively for months and it has carried me forever (this team has peaked #2 on ladder). This team was built for the Kingambit :kingambit: Gholdengo :Gholdengo: meta (why there's an incineroar) but has only gotten better in my eyes.

M-Venusaur :venusaur-mega: is a core member of the team, able to force switches with leech seed when hazards are up, and is able to counter big meta threats like Zamazenta :zamazenta:, Ogerpon Wellspring :ogerpon-wellspring: Rillaboom :rillaboom: and Valiant :iron valiant:. The set Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, HP Fire and Leech Seed forgoes guarunteed recovery (Synthesis) in exchange for Hidden Power Fire which is amazing at helping it counter M-Scizor :scizor-mega:, ferro :ferrothorn:, Skarm :skarmory: and Corv :corviknight:.

However, the team is a little matchup fishy (obviously) and and the following mons have really good matchup vs the team
Perish-trap Azumarill: :azumarill: Really nothing you can do vs this mon since there aren't any strong attackers or u-turn spam
Hoopa U :hoopa-unbound:, Medicham Mega, :medicham-mega:, Offensive torn: :tornadus-therian: Tough mons to play around (but not unwinnable) because the team has no real speed control. Best bets vs these threats is to trade for chip throughout the game and keep hazards up.
Gliscor: :gliscor: Just a really annoying mon which can always pivot in. If its Swords Dance (rare) then it is really tough since Skarm can only phase it out to delay

In terms of styles the team is good against HO and also does quite well vs bulkier offence teams. Bonus points if the team has limited hazard removal.
The teams stall matchup isn't great but you can absolutely still put up a fight and play for chokes

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/0a438a8b11b3dc02

MVenu+Tran+Garchomp

Fairly simple team. MVenu sponges attacks from Waterpon, Zama, Valiant etc. I run Knock on it to surprise the likes of Glowking or unpoisoned Glisc wanting to come in freely.
Tran complements MVenu nicely, taking Lele's Psychic and other special attacks, as well as being the team's rocker.
Zapdos is the defogger and a way of dealing with Zama, with Heat Wave for Ferro and MSciz.
Mola keeps everything healthy and sponges physical attacks, as well as spreading toxic.
Lele is the standard Scarf set.
Garchomp is the good old Gen8 SD+Scale Shot+EQ+Fire Fang set, now new and upgraded with Loaded Dice and Tera Fire to take Fairy/Ice attacks and power up Fire Fang. It's here as the team's ground type, a way of breaking Glowking, and a great late-game cleaner.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/6df37bf47c3326f3

Mvenu+Corv+Z Pech Fat
Simple team, Mvenu+Corv+Skele can never go wrong. Corv Defogs for the hazards that Mvenu HATES. Skeledirge is here to take on offensive threats like Bolt, Volcarona, Valiant, and more after Tera. Z pech is here as a stronger win con than Skeledirge or IDBP Zamazenta is. IDBP Zamazenta is here for Speed Control and can help vs something like OgerC which has became a new threat for fat to deal with. Gliscor is here to add pressure with spikes and Toxic+EQ which is good into Balance/BO. Mvenu is here to be a bulky check to pokemon like most notably OgerW and Urshifu-Rapid. Without Mvenu this pokemon wouldn't have a proper water resist to function. I'll stop it here to keep it short.

Last edited:

Ineros

Checkmate, move along!
is a Pre-Contributor
:Venusaur-mega: :Corviknight: :Ting-Lu: :Cresselia: :Zamazenta: :Heatran:
Long story short, the core of Mvenu / Corv / Ting covers a majority of the metagame. Knock is there on mvenu to force progress with hazard stacking. Corv is the resident Weav, tapu lele, and kart check and is a fine defensive presence in general. Ting helps with bolt mu while also being a ground that forces progress with spikes and does well into rai things. Cress makes the team not auto lose to mmedi and Garg and is a funni wincon. Boots Zama is speed control that does well into opposing spikes stuff while being a sort of secondary wincon. Heatran is there so you have a better mu into things like and Volc and msciz while being another lele check which is nice to have.

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Team A
Mega Venusaur Fat Balance

:venusaur-mega: :gliscor: :heatran: :alomomola: :tornadus-therian: :hatterene:

Mega Venusaur is really bulky and does well against the Fairy- and Fighting-types in the tier like Urshifu-R, Iron Valiant, Tapu Koko and Zamazenta. Gliscor offers a safe switch in against Zapdos which Mega Venusaur struggles with, while being able to tank most neutral hits for the team, set up Spikes, inflict others with Toxic and punish Steel- and Fire-types like Iron Treads with Earthquake. Heatran can switch into strong Psychic- and Flying-type moves that Mega Venusaur struggles with, such as Tapu Lele's Psychic or Tornadus-T's Hurricane, while stacking more hazards in Stealth Rock, and removing Pokemon like Ferrothorn. Alomomola offers Wish support for Heatran, while being a good answer to Ground-types like Garchomp or Landorus-T with Scald and natural bulk. It also acts as a secondary rain answer, as Mega Venusaur's Synthesis is weakened in rain. Tornadus-T completes the Regenerator core with Alomomola, acts as hazard removal support, and can remove weakened foes with Supersonic Skystrike if necessary, while removing opponents' items, good for the hazard stack core, while forming a FlipTurn core with Alomomola. Lastly, Hatterene stops status and hazards from the opposing team, can handle strong Dragon-types like Raging Bolt or Kommo-O, and is a solid wincon against bulkier teams who can't cleanly 2HKO her, with Draining Kiss recovery.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-2088150642-lagpcw63lzzuaxiiq2t0qvml8eev2kwpw
Team B
WONDERFUL FROG BALANCE
:sv/venusaur-mega: :sv/tapu-koko: :sv/iron-valiant: :sv/corviknight: :sv/landorus-therian: :sv/skeledirge:

Mege venu is great at being annoying and fat so i threw it on with other annoying and fat mons such as skeledirge and corviknight which forms a very solid defensive core then added landorus for some mandatory ground and rocks + z rock move power to goob zapdos players and added cm koko cause I keep losing to it in gen7 and it pairs nicely with Ival as a fast specs cleaner and general nuissance with shadow ball spam.​
Team C
:Venusaur-Mega: :Landorus-Therian: :Zamazenta: :Ogerpon-Wellspring: :Heatran: :Raging Bolt:
https://pokepast.es/8c9ff3b810e3bb47
Won't make this long. Mvenu+tran is the core. Mvenu has enough speed to outspeed raging bolt's sample set. Tran sets up rocks , Lando t is the defogger and checks gouging which is the biggest threat on the team. Zama big wincon button, Waterpon stallbreaker, and Raging Bolt is the wallbreaker.
Team D
:Venusaur-Mega: :Darkrai: :Tapu-Lele: :Heatran: :Landorus-Therian: :Zamazenta:

Ok so looking at this thread, it's a bit hard to have a team that stands out from the other since mvenu fits on a specific team type, but i think mine is unique enough.I just had to jump in, considering its the WONDERFUL FROG we are talking about!

Mega Venu is a nice bulky mon that can both take hits and deal damage back, its typing+ ability let it tank A LOT of hits from a lot of mons.Darkrai is a great addition to this team, as it can hit a big majority of the metagame and with the help of stealth rocks 2 shot them.Tera (Dark) Dark Pulse is a very spammable move, while Trick can help with annoying mons like :blissey: and other bulky mons like tera fairy garg.Tapu Lele with AV is a whole beast, being able to tank a lot of hits thrown at its way.You could also very easily slot a z move on it, i've had some nice succes with Psychium Z.Heatran does silly heatran stuff traps thing sets rocks etc.Zamazenta is there to help Mvenu vs :zapdos: :moltres:.Zamazenta in general is a very scary mon in this meta, as you never know what set it is until it annihilates one of your mons.A bit too scary imo, but that's a post for another time.

I hope you enjoy using this team, it was fun building it.
Team E
FOR ALL THE FAKE ASS DEFENSIVE GRASSES OUT THERE AND OGERPON-WELLSPRING!
WE STRAIGHT DISSIN YO ASS IN THIS MUTHAFUCKER!
AND JUST TO THINK I USED TO LIKE YOU!

Real Nigg*z

:moltres: :venusaur-mega: :garganacl: :gliscor: :mew: :alomomola:

Fat (borderline stall) team centered around Mvenu checking Waterpon and Mew + Alomomola cheesing through an otherwise shit stall matchup.
You wanna chip down ur opponent with combination of Leech seed, Salt cure and Toxic and if you pull it off you remove a piece from the opponent with mew, maybe more than one if you play it really well with Mola's wishes.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-2090627560 - replay of mew going crazy even without making something struggle to death
Team F
Don't touch the frog- Mvenu + Zamazenta balance (pokepast.es)

Mega Venusaur is the fat attacker, Waterpon and Zama are some of the best offensive mons to have on any team, Tran is the trapper and rocker, Lando acts as a fast fogger and Skeledirge is there to beat opposing Zama sets. I have had decent success using this team and I hope you all do too.
Team G
:incineroar: :iron treads: :garganacl: :skarmory: :venusaur-mega: :chansey:
Venusaur-Mega Incineroar Fat

Semi-stall/fat without the BS. No unaware, no regen, no gliscor, no setup sweepers, no volt-turn spam, no boots spam, no scarfer, no priority, just pure synergy.

Somehow has good matchup vs most high ladder teams, with most threats in the meta countered by at least one of the mons. I have used this team exclusively for months and it has carried me forever (this team has peaked #2 on ladder). This team was built for the Kingambit :kingambit: Gholdengo :Gholdengo: meta (why there's an incineroar) but has only gotten better in my eyes.

M-Venusaur :venusaur-mega: is a core member of the team, able to force switches with leech seed when hazards are up, and is able to counter big meta threats like Zamazenta :zamazenta:, Ogerpon Wellspring :ogerpon-wellspring: Rillaboom :rillaboom: and Valiant :iron valiant:. The set Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, HP Fire and Leech Seed forgoes guarunteed recovery (Synthesis) in exchange for Hidden Power Fire which is amazing at helping it counter M-Scizor :scizor-mega:, ferro :ferrothorn:, Skarm :skarmory: and Corv :corviknight:.

However, the team is a little matchup fishy (obviously) and and the following mons have really good matchup vs the team
Perish-trap Azumarill: :azumarill: Really nothing you can do vs this mon since there aren't any strong attackers or u-turn spam
Hoopa U :hoopa-unbound:, Medicham Mega, :medicham-mega:, Offensive torn: :tornadus-therian: Tough mons to play around (but not unwinnable) because the team has no real speed control. Best bets vs these threats is to trade for chip throughout the game and keep hazards up.
Gliscor: :gliscor: Just a really annoying mon which can always pivot in. If its Swords Dance (rare) then it is really tough since Skarm can only phase it out to delay

In terms of styles the team is good against HO and also does quite well vs bulkier offence teams. Bonus points if the team has limited hazard removal.
The teams stall matchup isn't great but you can absolutely still put up a fight and play for chokes
Team H
Mega Venusaur + Waterium Z Keldeo (pokepast.es) i dont really got much to say on this mvenu is just a tank to sponge attacks
Team I
https://pokepast.es/0a438a8b11b3dc02

MVenu+Tran+Garchomp

Fairly simple team. MVenu sponges attacks from Waterpon, Zama, Valiant etc. I run Knock on it to surprise the likes of Glowking or unpoisoned Glisc wanting to come in freely.
Tran complements MVenu nicely, taking Lele's Psychic and other special attacks, as well as being the team's rocker.
Zapdos is the defogger and a way of dealing with Zama, with Heat Wave for Ferro and MSciz.
Mola keeps everything healthy and sponges physical attacks, as well as spreading toxic.
Lele is the standard Scarf set.
Garchomp is the good old Gen8 SD+Scale Shot+EQ+Fire Fang set, now new and upgraded with Loaded Dice and Tera Fire to take Fairy/Ice attacks and power up Fire Fang. It's here as the team's ground type, a way of breaking Glowking, and a great late-game cleaner.
Team J
https://pokepast.es/6df37bf47c3326f3

Mvenu+Corv+Z Pech Fat
Simple team, Mvenu+Corv+Skele can never go wrong. Corv Defogs for the hazards that Mvenu HATES. Skeledirge is here to take on offensive threats like Bolt, Volcarona, Valiant, and more after Tera. Z pech is here as a stronger win con than Skeledirge or IDBP Zamazenta is. IDBP Zamazenta is here for Speed Control and can help vs something like OgerC which has became a new threat for fat to deal with. Gliscor is here to add pressure with spikes and Toxic+EQ which is good into Balance/BO. Mvenu is here to be a bulky check to pokemon like most notably OgerW and Urshifu-Rapid. Without Mvenu this pokemon wouldn't have a proper water resist to function. I'll stop it here to keep it short.
Team K
:Venusaur-mega: :Corviknight: :Ting-Lu: :Cresselia: :Zamazenta: :Heatran:
Long story short, the core of Mvenu / Corv / Ting covers a majority of the metagame. Knock is there on mvenu to force progress with hazard stacking. Corv is the resident Weav, tapu lele, and kart check and is a fine defensive presence in general. Ting helps with bolt mu while also being a ground that forces progress with spikes and does well into rai things. Cress makes the team not auto lose to mmedi and Garg and is a funni wincon. Boots Zama is speed control that does well into opposing spikes stuff while being a sort of secondary wincon. Heatran is there so you have a better mu into things like and Volc and msciz while being another lele check which is nice to have.
Team L
ADD IT TO YOUR THOUGHTS
:chansey: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :heatran: :corviknight: :raging bolt: :venusaur-mega:

This is a recreation of a very popular team used on the ORAS ladder throughout its life. There have been edits made so its suitable for the Gen 9 NatDex Meta, but the idea is generally the same.
Here is the original team for reference: https://www.smogon.com/articles/a-team-dissection
Voting ends Sunday night or Monday morning!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 24)