Project National Dex OU Teambuilding Competition - Cycle 42: Mega Venusaur

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
It's a tie between teams D and H! Anyone (barring the two submitters) can break the tie in the next 24 hours, at which point I will do it myself if no one did. Gz hidin !Reminder that the winning team will be showcased in the NatDex room during the entire week! In the meantime, moving on to the next Pokemon:

Walking Wake
:walking wake:

Voting starts Monday 13th March!​

Last edited:
:charizard: :weavile: :walking-wake: :great-tusk: :rotom-wash: :kartana:

https://pokepast.es/527bb7798777bdbc
Zardy Weavile + Walking Wake
Zardy and Weavile already make a p good duo so I thought why not add walking wake
Walking wake has a nice synergy with Zardy with it being able to activate wake’s protosynthesis and boost wake’s flamethrower, Great tusk is a great electric immune and sr setter protosynthesis is nice too on tusk, RWash is an amazing pivot and a ground immune has wisp for mons like gambit, annihilape thats not running rest talk, urshifu etc and is a fogger, Utility kart is rlly nice under sun with synthesis for recovery and water res, countering TTar, Hippo and more also is another fogger
The reason I have double fog is for zardy and weavile to get in (thanks hidin for suggesting kart)
-Marinaa<3 (dont know how to change my name on smogon)

Last edited:

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
Substitute+Sunny Day Wake Balance

:ss/walking-wake::ss/heatran::ss/lopunny-mega::ss/landorus-therian::ss/hatterene::ss/kingambit:

Sub+Sunny Day Wake is really underexplored and is my favorite Wake set mostly because I don't like full Sun very much (not that its bad I just don't like using it lol). With Tera Dragon and SpA getting boosted by Proto you destroy Toxapex and can chip Ferrothorn very well while being really hard for the rest of the tier to reliably switch into. It also cteams other Weather teams as it has handy resistances that let it beat all the setters as well as come in on some rain mons. Leftovers gives it longevity and lets it function as the fat cracker that its supposed to be long term. One playstyle I'm really enjoying is these fat-ish balances and just straight fats that explicitly have two potential wincons with both packing defensive utility. I chose Hatt for that role, as it has handy resistances for the rest of the team and abuses Ferrothorn which can be somewhat irritating for Wake. Tera Water is also a very dangerous wincon once it gets going, and it also hard abuses Pex so what you end up with is two huge threats that do extremely well into meta fat cores. It also can beat Fini which does actually wall Wake and can potentially set up on it. Heatran gives me solid resistances and is the Rocker while chipping most teams well with Magma Storm, it also gets boosted by Sun if that occurs but its more like a fringe benfit if anything. Taunt lets Wake get going into passive stuff very easily. MLop helps out against offense and can bring Wake or Hatt in on its walls, which the aforementioned duo tends to abuse very hard. Lando switches into most Zama and Defogs while also being the Ground-type/Ground-immunity, mostly compression pick. Gambit is for Pult mainly, can also help out Lop against offense and trap stuff if the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:sv/walking-wake:
Sunny Day Walking Wake Balance
:walking-wake: - Main premise here; Sunny Day can shred through a lot of Pokemon late game, as the challenge to switch into Walking Wake under Sun pressures the opponent immensely. Gaining a free Life Orb is good anyways, as then Pokemon like Toxapex and Tera Fairy Gastrodon won't enjoy coming into you as much. It also provides good counterplay to Rain and Sun, which patches up two major flaws this team has.
:scizor-mega: - Mega Scizor serves as an emergency Kartana check with Close Combat while also providing a switch into Weavile and sniping Pokemon like Iron Valiant and Tapu Koko. It also partners well with Walking Wake as it pressures Rotom-W, Skarmory, and Skeledirge for Mega Scizor, while in return it deals with the aforementioned Iron Valiant and Rillaboom.
:gholdengo:- Our somewhat reliable speed control; sniping Iron Valiant and Dragapult is amazing for this team and crippling Pokemon like Hatterene, Skarmory, and Toxapex can benefit Walking Wake and Mega Scizor.
:garganacl: - Garganacl is our Stealth Rock user that also is just annoying in general, chipping down Pokemon like Toxapex and Skarmory enables our breakers to wreak havoc, and even has Protect to be even more annoying!
:tornadus-therian: - Tornadus-T; don't have much to say

:great-tusk: - Great Tusk provides us with a Dark-type resist and has general utility, forces Heatran to Tera so Walking Wake can slam it with a Dragon Pulse, and Sunny Day powers up Great Tusk's Ice Spinner that also threatens Heatran.

Originally Walking Wake was Firium Z since I went under the presumption that it would boost both Special Attack and Speed, but was brought to dismay once it doubled Speed. Regardless, enjoy the team!

Last edited:
Scarf Grass+walking wake semi sun

1678191619577.jpeg1678191737138.jpeg1678191775303.jpeg1678191795185.jpeg1678191856303.jpeg1678191989253.jpeg1678205336207.png
Walking wake is a great Pokémon to use especially when supported by sun and a good support cast. Mega zard-y is there for sun support and can threaten certain Pokémon such as non-tera ferrothorn but walking wake can get ferro on the switch with flamethrower. Meowscarada and kartana are scarf Pokémon that can provide speed control against the opponent. Great tusk and hatterene are there to provide hazard control and heatran is the stealth rocker and zard check. There are four types of this team one with specs and kartana, one with draco-z and kartana, one with specs and meowscarada, and same with meowscarada. However, when using these teams you have to be active against iron valiants and with dragapults
Draco-z with and meowscarda kartana-https://pokepast.es/ca8e1c8c0bc2670a < kartana
https://pokepast.es/d12dd036d544380c <Scarda
Specs with meowscarada/kartana
https://pokepast.es/e8ea4d7ecffce628 <Kartana
https://pokepast.es/6f397867f97fcc71 <Scarada

Reactions: R8
:heatran: :charizard-mega-y: :venusaur: :kartana: :walking wake: :Ninetales:

Walking wake+Hard sun team

Walking wake is an incredible offensive threat, and with support from sun+assult vest it has good enough special bulk to live dragon pulse from another walking wake. Charizard Y is there for sun support and with defog can get rid of annoying stealth rocks+toxic spikes. Ninetales is sun support with will-o-wisp to deal with physical attackers beacuse walking wake is lacking in the physical side (after assult vest boost) . Venusaur is bulky support with leech seed and leftovers and deals with water types like floatzel and mega swampert. Kartana is a clawback machine with steelium Z, it can win a game and checks the tapus. Heatran is a fast special sweeper with scarf tera fire eruption in the sun it is vey difficult to switch in against. Walking wake with tera steel tera blast is an easy counter to stall clefable and also resists draco meteor, dragon pulse, outrage, dragon claw, and dragon darts from hydreigon, dragonite, kingdra, dragapult and walking wake. Flamethrower and hydro steam become nukes in the sun and dragon pulse checks other dragons.

Pokepaste team sheet:
https://pokepast.es/39f074b30158111d

Last edited:
Walking Wake Disguised Hyper-Offense
:Glimmora: :Tornadus-Therian: :Kartana: :Torkoal: :Charizard-Mega-Y: :Walking Wake:
:Walking Wake:- is fast, has a range of useful moves for every purpose, and hits like a truck. Need I say more?
:Glimmora:- is usually the lead Pokémon, along with :walking wake:. Disguised as a suicide hazard-setting lead, the combination of Choice Specs and every move it could want, most things on the lead will be hit for at least neutral and quite often super effective damage, often picking up a crucial knockout.
:Kartana:- Combines well with :torkoal: and :Charizard-mega-Y: since the sun setting abilities combine well with the move Solar Blade, which hits incredibly hard thanks to Kartana's base 181 attack.
:baxcalibur:- standard bax set, nothing much to say apart from loaded dice.
:Tornadus-Therian:- In Gen 8, this Pokémon was used for its incredible defensive ability in regenerator and great support moves such as knock off and defog. It doesn't have those moves anymore. So why not run a Choice Specs set, putting that base 110 SpA and 120 Speed to use? Bleakwind Storm already does large chunks of damage and with Choice Specs, this can often lead to this Pokémon sweeping in the endgame.
:Charizard-mega-Y:- Sun setter for the team, also can pick off Pokémon with low health or pick up a surprise kill with great coverage moves such as Solar Blade.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/67b0ab15617fb998

Last edited:
:Glimmora: :Tornadus-Therian: :Kartana: :Torkoal: :Charizard-Mega-Y: :Walking Wake:
:Walking Wake:- is fast, has a range of useful moves for every purpose, and hits like a truck. Need I say more?
:Glimmora:- is usually the lead Pokémon, along with :walking wake:. Disguised as a suicide hazard-setting lead, the combination of Choice Specs and every move it could want, most things on the lead will be hit for at least neutral and quite often super effective damage, often picking up a crucial knockout.
:Kartana:- Combines well with :torkoal: and :Charizard-mega-Y: since the sun setting abilities combine well with the move Solar Blade, which hits incredibly hard thanks to Kartana's base 181 attack.
:Torkoal:- Main sun setter for the team, works well with both Heavy Duty Boots and Life Orb, if maneuvered correctly can even shut down setup sweepers with Clear Smog. Has Sunny Day to Reset the weather without switching since the move slot was pretty empty, replace with any move that suits you.
:Tornadus-Therian:- In Gen 8, this Pokémon was used for its incredible defensive ability in regenerator and great support moves such as knock off and defog. It doesn't have those moves anymore. So why not run a Choice Specs set, putting that base 110 SpA and 120 Speed to use? Bleakwind Storm already does large chunks of damage and with Choice Specs, this can often lead to this Pokémon sweeping in the endgame.
:Charizard-mega-Y:- Secondary sun setter for the team, also can pick off Pokémon with low health or pick up a surprise kill with great coverage moves such as Focus Blast.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/c9696d9b26e14143
idk if this is like hard sun or semi sun cause this looks nothing like an HO 3 choiced users, this is NDOU torn still has knock off and defog, i dont like it when theres no defog,why use hurricane in sun when its accuracy is reduced to 50%, dragon pulse doesnt rlly hit much imo and focus blast is inconsistent and I would rather use flamethrower/blast/ball, scorching sand solar beam roost, I like specs speed proto on wake more, the torkoal set is very weird imo

:Walking Wake: :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: :Swampert-Mega: :Tornadus-Therian: :Ferrothorn: :Pelipper:

https://pokepast.es/26b3b11cd9eb0882

Walking Wake Rain
Specs walking wake with hurricane that compliments the rain, the main special wallbreaker for the team. hydro steam is boosted in both sun and rain so this serves as a good sun counter
SD urshifu R is there for physical wallbreaking. aqua jet is boosted by rain and tera type
Mega swampert is the classic rain wallbreaker, electric immunity and can increase momentum with flip turn
Ferrothorn is the spdef wall in rain. Fire weakness is greatly reduced in rain, can counter electric types like rotom-W and koko
tornadus therian is the defogger and provides fast utility with knock off and uturn, hurricane ohkoes stuff like great tusk and rillaboom
pelipper is the rain setter, provides slow pivoting with uturn and can knock off since tornadus defogs in its place.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Voting round!

Team A
:charizard: :weavile: :walking-wake: :great-tusk: :rotom-wash: :kartana:

https://pokepast.es/527bb7798777bdbc
Zardy Weavile + Walking Wake
Zardy and Weavile already make a p good duo so I thought why not add walking wake
Walking wake has a nice synergy with Zardy with it being able to activate wake’s protosynthesis and boost wake’s flamethrower, Great tusk is a great electric immune and sr setter protosynthesis is nice too on tusk, RWash is an amazing pivot and a ground immune has wisp for mons like gambit, annihilape thats not running rest talk, urshifu etc and is a fogger, Utility kart is rlly nice under sun with synthesis for recovery and water res, countering TTar, Hippo and more also is another fogger
The reason I have double fog is for zardy and weavile to get in (thanks hidin for suggesting kart)
-Marinaa<3 (dont know how to change my name on smogon)
Team B
Substitute+Sunny Day Wake Balance

:ss/walking-wake::ss/heatran::ss/lopunny-mega::ss/landorus-therian::ss/hatterene::ss/kingambit:

Sub+Sunny Day Wake is really underexplored and is my favorite Wake set mostly because I don't like full Sun very much (not that its bad I just don't like using it lol). With Tera Dragon and SpA getting boosted by Proto you destroy Toxapex and can chip Ferrothorn very well while being really hard for the rest of the tier to reliably switch into. It also cteams other Weather teams as it has handy resistances that let it beat all the setters as well as come in on some rain mons. Leftovers gives it longevity and lets it function as the fat cracker that its supposed to be long term. One playstyle I'm really enjoying is these fat-ish balances and just straight fats that explicitly have two potential wincons with both packing defensive utility. I chose Hatt for that role, as it has handy resistances for the rest of the team and abuses Ferrothorn which can be somewhat irritating for Wake. Tera Water is also a very dangerous wincon once it gets going, and it also hard abuses Pex so what you end up with is two huge threats that do extremely well into meta fat cores. It also can beat Fini which does actually wall Wake and can potentially set up on it. Heatran gives me solid resistances and is the Rocker while chipping most teams well with Magma Storm, it also gets boosted by Sun if that occurs but its more like a fringe benfit if anything. Taunt lets Wake get going into passive stuff very easily. MLop helps out against offense and can bring Wake or Hatt in on its walls, which the aforementioned duo tends to abuse very hard. Lando switches into most Zama and Defogs while also being the Ground-type/Ground-immunity, mostly compression pick. Gambit is for Pult mainly, can also help out Lop against offense and trap stuff if the opportunity presents itself.
Team C
:sv/walking-wake:
Sunny Day Walking Wake Balance
:walking-wake: - Main premise here; Sunny Day can shred through a lot of Pokemon late game, as the challenge to switch into Walking Wake under Sun pressures the opponent immensely. Gaining a free Life Orb is good anyways, as then Pokemon like Toxapex and Tera Fairy Gastrodon won't enjoy coming into you as much. It also provides good counterplay to Rain and Sun, which patches up two major flaws this team has.
:scizor-mega: - Mega Scizor serves as an emergency Kartana check with Close Combat while also providing a switch into Weavile and sniping Pokemon like Iron Valiant and Tapu Koko. It also partners well with Walking Wake as it pressures Rotom-W, Skarmory, and Skeledirge for Mega Scizor, while in return it deals with the aforementioned Iron Valiant and Rillaboom.
:gholdengo:- Our somewhat reliable speed control; sniping Iron Valiant and Dragapult is amazing for this team and crippling Pokemon like Hatterene, Skarmory, and Toxapex can benefit Walking Wake and Mega Scizor.
:garganacl: - Garganacl is our Stealth Rock user that also is just annoying in general, chipping down Pokemon like Toxapex and Skarmory enables our breakers to wreak havoc, and even has Protect to be even more annoying!
:tornadus-therian: - Tornadus-T; don't have much to say

:great-tusk: - Great Tusk provides us with a Dark-type resist and has general utility, forces Heatran to Tera so Walking Wake can slam it with a Dragon Pulse, and Sunny Day powers up Great Tusk's Ice Spinner that also threatens Heatran.

Originally Walking Wake was Firium Z since I went under the presumption that it would boost both Special Attack and Speed, but was brought to dismay once it doubled Speed. Regardless, enjoy the team!
Team D
Scarf Grass+walking wake semi sun

View attachment 497885View attachment 497887View attachment 497888View attachment 497889View attachment 497890View attachment 497892View attachment 497923
Walking wake is a great Pokémon to use especially when supported by sun and a good support cast. Mega zard-y is there for sun support and can threaten certain Pokémon such as non-tera ferrothorn but walking wake can get ferro on the switch with flamethrower. Meowscarada and kartana are scarf Pokémon that can provide speed control against the opponent. Great tusk and hatterene are there to provide hazard control and heatran is the stealth rocker and zard check. There are four types of this team one with specs and kartana, one with draco-z and kartana, one with specs and meowscarada, and same with meowscarada. However, when using these teams you have to be active against iron valiants and with dragapults
Draco-z with and meowscarda kartana-https://pokepast.es/ca8e1c8c0bc2670a < kartana
https://pokepast.es/d12dd036d544380c <Scarda
Specs with meowscarada/kartana
https://pokepast.es/e8ea4d7ecffce628 <Kartana
https://pokepast.es/6f397867f97fcc71 <Scarada
Team E
:heatran: :charizard-mega-y: :venusaur: :kartana: :walking wake: :Ninetales:

Walking wake+Hard sun team

Walking wake is an incredible offensive threat, and with support from sun+assult vest it has good enough special bulk to live dragon pulse from another walking wake. Charizard Y is there for sun support and with defog can get rid of annoying stealth rocks+toxic spikes. Ninetales is sun support with will-o-wisp to deal with physical attackers beacuse walking wake is lacking in the physical side (after assult vest boost) . Venusaur is bulky support with leech seed and leftovers and deals with water types like floatzel and mega swampert. Kartana is a clawback machine with steelium Z, it can win a game and checks the tapus. Heatran is a fast special sweeper with scarf tera fire eruption in the sun it is vey difficult to switch in against. Walking wake with tera steel tera blast is an easy counter to stall clefable and also resists draco meteor, dragon pulse, outrage, dragon claw, and dragon darts from hydreigon, dragonite, kingdra, dragapult and walking wake. Flamethrower and hydro steam become nukes in the sun and dragon pulse checks other dragons.

Pokepaste team sheet:
https://pokepast.es/39f074b30158111d
Team F
:baxcalibur:- standard bax set, nothing much to say apart from loaded dice.
:Charizard-mega-Y:- Sun setter for the team, also can pick off Pokémon with low health or pick up a surprise kill with great coverage moves such as Solar Blade.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/67b0ab15617fb998
Team G
:Walking Wake: :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: :Swampert-Mega: :Tornadus-Therian: :Ferrothorn: :Pelipper:

https://pokepast.es/26b3b11cd9eb0882

Walking Wake Rain
Specs walking wake with hurricane that compliments the rain, the main special wallbreaker for the team. hydro steam is boosted in both sun and rain so this serves as a good sun counter
SD urshifu R is there for physical wallbreaking. aqua jet is boosted by rain and tera type
Mega swampert is the classic rain wallbreaker, electric immunity and can increase momentum with flip turn
Ferrothorn is the spdef wall in rain. Fire weakness is greatly reduced in rain, can counter electric types like rotom-W and koko
tornadus therian is the defogger and provides fast utility with knock off and uturn, hurricane ohkoes stuff like great tusk and rillaboom
pelipper is the rain setter, provides slow pivoting with uturn and can knock off since tornadus defogs in its place.
Voting ends Wednesday 15th March! (8PM GMT+1)

Voting can be done through ranked voting (ex: I could vote W>X=Y>Z) (every team doesn't have to be mentioned though)

Last edited:

sealoo

PaulGod
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Thief MMedi + Xurk Webs

1678928465724.png1678928495695.png1678928517836.png1678928540991.png1678928552830.png1678928671053.png
:shuckle: :kingambit: :medicham-mega: :urshifu: :xurkitree: :gholdengo:

:shuckle:
sets webs and barrels into people once his job is done. feel free to go red card or mental herb i prefer card tho. same philosophy applies to ev spread its w/e

:kingambit:
+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Tera Dark Kingambit Sucker Punch also checks pult

:medicham-mega:
pummels the opposition, even gholdengo isnt safe. fake out is good prio too

:urshifu:
+2 252 Atk Punching Glove Tera Water Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) feel free to go tpunch > aqua jet

:xurkitree:
wins 60% of games, abuses webs well and can sleep the best priority in the tier trying to rkill it ( el gambit)

:gholdengo:
obligatory cactus jack placement to deny defog and spin, do whatever you want with tera and ev spread but i like bulky

AFD 2013 Front Sprites - Pokemon Showdown! website i used for afd sprites, updated up to gen 8

Attachments

Keem

formerly Nezloe
:sm/medicham-mega::ss/tapu-lele:
1678950083094.png
1678949884189.png
:ss/ferrothorn: :ss/heatran:

Medi Lele Gambit
:medicham-mega: + :tapu-lele: Very basic medi core but also a very powerful one dont think explantion is needed here.

:kingambit:Bulky dark type that can handle ghost that seemingly threaten the main core or become a roadblock i.e gholdengo or pult (pult can still threaten gambit with Flamethrower but its pult so)

:landorus-therian: team takes a bulky turn here however this lando is the teams main defensive answer to mega loppunny or other physical attackers

:ferrothorn: goat mon. Here to simply click knock and get Spikes up for medi/to help start enabling it

:heatran: this heatran is a bit diffrent ig spdef tera flying seemingly beats one of the biggest threats for the team,volcarona but more so specifically HP/tera ground volcarona

Edit: lele has focus Blast now and not focus energy oops

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)