Project National Dex OU Teambuilding Competition - Cycle 44: Latios-Mega

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
IDef Garg+SubTox Aegi Fat

:ss/garganacl::ss/aegislash::ss/buzzwole::ss/hippowdon::ss/ferrothorn::ss/gliscor:

So I redid this a little bit for the Post Espa meta and R8 said I could post the updated version which is just a better team so...here it is. The main changes are Hippo and Gliscor, I really don't like Clod and Hippo is massively better overall (I was wrong abt this mon he is actually quite good), so it's been slotted on to help out against treats like Rain and special threats while also providing sand chip for Garg. Fast Gliscor with Toxic can help out a lot against Annihilape and also checks Heatran while defogging. Rest of the team is unchanged, you can read the full explanation on them below. S/O hidin for the suggestions.

:ss/garganacl::ss/aegislash::ss/buzzwole::ss/clodsire::ss/ferrothorn::ss/dragonite:

I almost never build fatter stuff so I kinda doubt this is good but it was a fun building process so here it is. The idea here is to just win with Garg and support it through significant amounts of residual damage. The most interesting thing here is Aegislash though. Ghold has basically usurped Aegi's offensive sets, but I really like Aegislash so I wanted to find a use for it. I think I have found it with the old SubToxic set, as traditional checks like Gliscor and Fini are much rarer, and Pokemon like Toxapex and Ferrothorn are running more Physical Defense, so the mon can spread Toxic well and is generally tough to switch into. The defensive typing also lets you check Iron Valiant, Lele, and Mega Medicham, which would be more threatening to the team otherwise. It also has the bulk to check offensive Gholdengo sets in an emergency. The main issues for Aegi are Kingambit and Infiltrator Dragapult, but the combo of Garg and Buzzwole can really help out against those quite well. Buzz is also a good fighting check for the team, as it beats MLop, Tusk, and Zama while also revenge killing Heatran and aiding against Mega Gyarados. Tera Dark Unaware Clod helps with Espa (which is still here as of this building process) and is a generally solid check to many of the tier's special attackers. Physically Defensive Ferrothorn piles on the residual damage and sets spikes, as well as helping out against rain. Finally, I wanted something to deal with Heatran better (because people still aren't giving that mon the respect it deserves thing is super broken), and I was worried about Annihilape. Enter this mutant Dragonite set, which has the typing to help out against Heatran, and Tera Steel can lure some stuff like Weavile. The EVs let it outrun Mega Swampert without rain up, but it also covers a lot of other speed tiers, notably Bulk Up Annihilape, who then gets 2HKOd by Hurricane, therefore forcing a Tera at the very least.

Definitely a weird team and I'm no pro at building fat but this was fun to build and Garg is stupid so...yeah.

Last edited:

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Since Sputnik was the only one who added something, they win! However, there is an announcement!

From now on, if someone wins a round of the Teambuilding Competition, their team will be featured in our Team of The Week showcase in the PS! Room and the Discord!
Potentially a sample team too!

Round 8 - Cinderace

The past Uber was infamous due to immense offensive utility, though has had a fall from grace due to its ability being nerfed. Can you still make the soccer bunny work?
Submissions end on March 2nd!​

Last edited:
:ss/cinderace: :ss/tapu-koko: :ss/ferrothorn: :ss/weavile: :ss/tornadus-therian: :ss/gastrodon:
Will edit this post with sprites and explaination later but Im at Burger King rn
This team is based around the core of Pivot Tapu-Koko and Pivot Cinderace. They take advantage of each others traditonal switchins (Koko gets ace in on Ferro, and Ace gets Koko in on Washtom and Toxapex) and can overpressure defensive grounds like Landorus and Great-Tusk who are usually unable to check them both throughout the match. Chople Ferro lures and paralyzes Lopunny and Zamazenta who would otherwise be able to revenge the two and it spikes up on Gastro and Clodsire, Weavile traps and removes Dragapult locked into Shadow Ball and takes advantage of spikes very well and last but not least Torn and Gastro round out the team defensively by providing Water, Electric and Ground immunes, as well as hazard control in defog and stealthrock. Pretty solid team imo, altho it can struggle with Dragonite but not letting it setup is generally doable if you position yourself well

Last edited:
Well boyz, time to waste no time, the Sun masta is here and I got a lil treat for you today

The Bunny & The Hat Sun Trick

:torkoal: :venusaur: :great tusk: :cinderace: :hatterene: :charizard mega y:

Now if you seen some of my guide, you probably have seen this team in my second part(which reminds me i should leave a link to it in the first one), however I never really gave a description on how to use properly, but overall the team is solid.
Torkoal being 1 of the 2 Drought setters, as well as hazard setter, it does his job fine, and Torkoal is suprisingly tanky(if only it didnt had such a bad defensive typing, but tera can at least helps us a bit) Venusaur , Great Tusk and Cinderace being the main abusers here. Venusaur blitzing threw with Chlorophyll, Great Tusk bashing with Protosynthesis, and Cinderace can leave dense as well with sun boosted Pyro Balls. Cinderace also bring some utility with Courth Change to keep hazards away from our second Drought setter, Mega Charizard Y. Hatterene is also good for preventing hazard and also crippling with Nuzzle and giving a second life(at the cost of her own) with Healing Wish. Overall this version on sun team is excellent at keeping hazards of bay while also remaining offensively dangerous.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1809326196

Last edited:

Ryuji

LIFE'S FLASHING BEFORE YOUR EYES?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor Alumnus
HEX PULT STATUS SPAM FT. WISP ACE

:ss/cinderace::ss/dragapult::ss/kingambit::ss/clefable::ss/tornadus-therian::ss/gastrodon-east:

Process is simple, status spread + strong Hex user. Although this cld have been rough offense, i like playing something more balanced. Wisp Ace punish stuff like Tusk/Chomp/Pex/Mega Swampert and also Mega Gyarados. It can also punish Dnite but only in HO case, where it doesnt have roost.
Some points abt tera types: Water Clef for rain and also for Gholdengo, Fairy on Torn-T for luring Pult and Fairy Pult to avoid Pursuit (you have to tera instantely tho, not on the tour where you're being pursuit-trapped).
I found Clefable to be quite underated in the current metagame. Ofc its not as resiliant as other Pokemons, but it can still be as annoying as it was in gen8, and its also something you must respect while playing against it. Its also one of the few Pokemon that can use Garg as a setup fodder while not having to sacrifice its Item in favor of the Covert Cloak.
Kingambit could prob be Pursuit here to remove Gholdengo, but i wanted to have it as a real potential sweeper/breaker with Sword Dance. Also thanks to Tera Water, Clef can actually beat 1v1 most Gholdengo sets, assuming you dont get crit and you forced the trick in case its Scarf.
Toxic Tornadus-T punishes many many threads, including Ting-Lu and Rotom-Wash, helping and forcing progress for Pult or Gambit. The main gameplan is to spreads status early game and break with one of your 3 winconds to allow one of the other two to win. For example, Heatran, who's a though MU, can be played around by Twaving it. After the Twave, you can abuse it with all your winconds.
Nicks are from a french drill rapper.

somebody seems to have already built status spam but this one has court change and jellicent so it's cool

:ss/cinderace: :ss/dragapult: :bw/jellicent: :bw/tornadus-therian: :sv/ting-lu: :bw/ferrothorn:

the idea of this team is simple - get shit statused and worn down and clean w/ pult. common pult/cinderace switchins get punished while things like vile and gambit thinking they can pursuit you also get punished. it's important that you keep pult healthy till late game so don't be clicking wisp unless you know you aren't threatened or that you know you can sweep even with chip, such as wisping vs ferro. jellicent + pult also form a nice double spinblocker core, altho realistically jellicent will do 95% of the spinblocking, it can be nice on occassion if, say, you dont want to lose your colbur to a potential cyclizar knock (and realistically pult will do well into most things cyc goes to). court change is also just a nice move period for intentionally punishing successful spins with things like helmet torn, to be able to then use your spinblockers to further handle them. Torn is here cause spin punisher while allowing it + ground immune + pivot + taunt + knock, you know how it can be. ting + ferro create a neat hstack core which is backed up by torn and colbur jelli being p solid into zama.

paste: https://pokepast.es/646d7db0f90d5069

Last edited:

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
:cinderace: :slowking-galar: :tornadus-therian: :scizor-mega: :gastrodon: :urshifu-rapid-strike:

main idea here is that u take advantage of defensive cinderace answers in pex washtom tusk dnite etc w future sight / msciz. this also helps in that u can wear down sciz answers like heatran and the aforementioned washtom for it to eventually clean at some point. urshifu was chosen here bc it also takes advantage of pex and pult being pressured by cind sucker / fsight and checks pursuit trappers that annoy gking in kingambit weav n ttar. rest is p standard. urshifu last slot can be changed though.

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Super Fang Cinderace Hazard Stack

:cinderace: - super fang + normalium owns mons like toxapex ting-lu garchomp and clodsire that mega diancie and gholdengo benefit from, while also generating momentum
:toxapex: - toxic spiker; also improves our valiant mu while being annoying with scald/knock
:gholdengo: - denies hazard removal and our scarfer; deals with lele and mmedi well too and providing a ghost slot for zama, benefits from cinder owning clod and ting lu immediately w/o you having to trick
:diancie-mega: - helps us with torn a lot and can be annoying to switchin to with hazards up, benefits from cinder removing pex and clod
:ting-lu: - ting lu is our pult check and our spiker, can be v annoying with whirl + ruination
:tornadus-therian: - tornt. don't think i have to dive much into here

personally its not my best work but its funny

Last edited:

Sputnik

Bono My Tires are Deceased
is a Contributor Alumnus
FuturePort Cinderace Offense

:ss/cinderace::ss/slowbro::ss/garchomp::ss/tornadus-therian::ss/gholdengo::ss/weavile:

So full disclosure I had a team I was going to post but it was basically exactly the same as Sulo's so I built something different while keeping the FuturePort idea because its broken. I had to keep Torn on there because its the GOAT and it also makes sense by adding a pivot that checks Kart and keeps hazards off reliably for Weavile. Although it is Tera Grass to help out against rain while still doing better into Koko. Ace is Boots with Sucker Punch to help out further against offense, and with FuturePort it is extremely difficult to switch into. This Slowbro is Tera Fighting with Body Press, its mostly Gambit cope but Body Press deals good damage to a good slug of the meta and it lures some other stuff like Weavile. It's not spamming Scald very often here anyway because it really just wants to Future Sight and pivot out so I deemed it as an acceptable sacrifice. Rocks+SD Chomp is super underrated right now, most of what checks this is not being used that much and it checks Heatran while pressuring most removal options well so its a splashable tool on offenses and balances right now imo. Balloon Ghold is a good general attacker that checks Lele, Focus Blast applies more pressure to Heatran and KGambit. Weavile provides more speed control in the form of priority and is the main Pult check, a role it does well in especially with Ghold and Ace having defensive Teras designed to help out against Pult in an absolute emergency. Its also super dangerous with Future Sight online. No Taxel because there's too much Helmet rn.

Also it's great to see this many submissions to the TB Comp, more of this please
:blobthumbsup:

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Sorry for the delay, voting time!
Team A - Shardmaw (you're welcome for the sprites)
if I just place my team here, then... ok
:cinderace: :great tusk: :pinsir-mega: :torkoal: :skeledirge: :rotom-wash:
https://pokepast.es/37895f618ea16559
Team B - ArSd
:ss/cinderace: :ss/tapu-koko: :ss/ferrothorn: :ss/weavile: :ss/tornadus-therian: :ss/gastrodon:
Will edit this post with sprites and explaination later but Im at Burger King rn
This team is based around the core of Pivot Tapu-Koko and Pivot Cinderace. They take advantage of each others traditonal switchins (Koko gets ace in on Ferro, and Ace gets Koko in on Washtom and Toxapex) and can overpressure defensive grounds like Landorus and Great-Tusk who are usually unable to check them both throughout the match. Chople Ferro lures and paralyzes Lopunny and Zamazenta who would otherwise be able to revenge the two and it spikes up on Gastro and Clodsire, Weavile traps and removes Dragapult locked into Shadow Ball and takes advantage of spikes very well and last but not least Torn and Gastro round out the team defensively by providing Water, Electric and Ground immunes, as well as hazard control in defog and stealthrock. Pretty solid team imo, altho it can struggle with Dragonite but not letting it setup is generally doable if you position yourself well
Team C - Chilli Dewd
Well boyz, time to waste no time, the Sun masta is here and I got a lil treat for you today

The Bunny & The Hat Sun Trick

:torkoal: :venusaur: :great tusk: :cinderace: :hatterene: :charizard mega y:

Now if you seen some of my guide, you probably have seen this team in my second part(which reminds me i should leave a link to it in the first one), however I never really gave a description on how to use properly, but overall the team is solid.
Torkoal being 1 of the 2 Drought setters, as well as hazard setter, it does his job fine, and Torkoal is suprisingly tanky(if only it didnt had such a bad defensive typing, but tera can at least helps us a bit) Venusaur , Great Tusk and Cinderace being the main abusers here. Venusaur blitzing threw with Chlorophyll, Great Tusk bashing with Protosynthesis, and Cinderace can leave dense as well with sun boosted Pyro Balls. Cinderace also bring some utility with Courth Change to keep hazards away from our second Drought setter, Mega Charizard Y. Hatterene is also good for preventing hazard and also crippling with Nuzzle and giving a second life(at the cost of her own) with Healing Wish. Overall this version on sun team is excellent at keeping hazards of bay while also remaining offensively dangerous.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1809326196
Team D - Ryuji
HEX PULT STATUS SPAM FT. WISP ACE

:ss/cinderace::ss/dragapult::ss/kingambit::ss/clefable::ss/tornadus-therian::ss/gastrodon-east:

Process is simple, status spread + strong Hex user. Although this cld have been rough offense, i like playing something more balanced. Wisp Ace punish stuff like Tusk/Chomp/Pex/Mega Swampert and also Mega Gyarados. It can also punish Dnite but only in HO case, where it doesnt have roost.
Some points abt tera types: Water Clef for rain and also for Gholdengo, Fairy on Torn-T for luring Pult and Fairy Pult to avoid Pursuit (you have to tera instantely tho, not on the tour where you're being pursuit-trapped).
I found Clefable to be quite underated in the current metagame. Ofc its not as resiliant as other Pokemons, but it can still be as annoying as it was in gen8, and its also something you must respect while playing against it. Its also one of the few Pokemon that can use Garg as a setup fodder while not having to sacrifice its Item in favor of the Covert Cloak.
Kingambit could prob be Pursuit here to remove Gholdengo, but i wanted to have it as a real potential sweeper/breaker with Sword Dance. Also thanks to Tera Water, Clef can actually beat 1v1 most Gholdengo sets, assuming you dont get crit and you forced the trick in case its Scarf.
Toxic Tornadus-T punishes many many threads, including Ting-Lu and Rotom-Wash, helping and forcing progress for Pult or Gambit. The main gameplan is to spreads status early game and break with one of your 3 winconds to allow one of the other two to win. For example, Heatran, who's a though MU, can be played around by Twaving it. After the Twave, you can abuse it with all your winconds.
Nicks are from a french drill rapper.
Team E - jawsome274
somebody seems to have already built status spam but this one has court change and jellicent so it's cool

:ss/cinderace: :ss/dragapult: :bw/jellicent: :bw/tornadus-therian: :sv/ting-lu: :bw/ferrothorn:

the idea of this team is simple - get shit statused and worn down and clean w/ pult. common pult/cinderace switchins get punished while things like vile and gambit thinking they can pursuit you also get punished. it's important that you keep pult healthy till late game so don't be clicking wisp unless you know you aren't threatened or that you know you can sweep even with chip, such as wisping vs ferro. jellicent + pult also form a nice double spinblocker core, altho realistically jellicent will do 95% of the spinblocking, it can be nice on occassion if, say, you dont want to lose your colbur to a potential cyclizar knock (and realistically pult will do well into most things cyc goes to). court change is also just a nice move period for intentionally punishing successful spins with things like helmet torn, to be able to then use your spinblockers to further handle them. Torn is here cause spin punisher while allowing it + ground immune + pivot + taunt + knock, you know how it can be. ting + ferro create a neat hstack core which is backed up by torn and colbur jelli being p solid into zama.

paste: https://pokepast.es/646d7db0f90d5069
Team F - Sulo
:cinderace: :slowking-galar: :tornadus-therian: :scizor-mega: :gastrodon: :urshifu-rapid-strike:

main idea here is that u take advantage of defensive cinderace answers in pex washtom tusk dnite etc w future sight / msciz. this also helps in that u can wear down sciz answers like heatran and the aforementioned washtom for it to eventually clean at some point. urshifu was chosen here bc it also takes advantage of pex and pult being pressured by cind sucker / fsight and checks pursuit trappers that annoy gking in kingambit weav n ttar. rest is p standard. urshifu last slot can be changed though.
Team H - hidin
Super Fang Cinderace Hazard Stack

:cinderace: - super fang + normalium owns mons like toxapex ting-lu garchomp and clodsire that mega diancie and gholdengo benefit from, while also generating momentum
:toxapex: - toxic spiker; also improves our valiant mu while being annoying with scald/knock
:gholdengo: - denies hazard removal and our scarfer; deals with lele and mmedi well too and providing a ghost slot for zama, benefits from cinder owning clod and ting lu immediately w/o you having to trick
:diancie-mega: - helps us with torn a lot and can be annoying to switchin to with hazards up, benefits from cinder removing pex and clod
:ting-lu: - ting lu is our pult check and our spiker, can be v annoying with whirl + ruination
:tornadus-therian: - tornt. don't think i have to dive much into here

personally its not my best work but its funny
Team I - Sputnik
FuturePort Cinderace Offense

:ss/cinderace::ss/slowbro::ss/garchomp::ss/tornadus-therian::ss/gholdengo::ss/weavile:

So full disclosure I had a team I was going to post but it was basically exactly the same as Sulo's so I built something different while keeping the FuturePort idea because its broken. I had to keep Torn on there because its the GOAT and it also makes sense by adding a pivot that checks Kart and keeps hazards off reliably for Weavile. Although it is Tera Grass to help out against rain while still doing better into Koko. Ace is Boots with Sucker Punch to help out further against offense, and with FuturePort it is extremely difficult to switch into. This Slowbro is Tera Fighting with Body Press, its mostly Gambit cope but Body Press deals good damage to a good slug of the meta and it lures some other stuff like Weavile. It's not spamming Scald very often here anyway because it really just wants to Future Sight and pivot out so I deemed it as an acceptable sacrifice. Rocks+SD Chomp is super underrated right now, most of what checks this is not being used that much and it checks Heatran while pressuring most removal options well so its a splashable tool on offenses and balances right now imo. Balloon Ghold is a good general attacker that checks Lele, Focus Blast applies more pressure to Heatran and KGambit. Weavile provides more speed control in the form of priority and is the main Pult check, a role it does well in especially with Ghold and Ace having defensive Teras designed to help out against Pult in an absolute emergency. Its also super dangerous with Future Sight online. No Taxel because there's too much Helmet rn.

Also it's great to see this many submissions to the TB Comp, more of this please
:blobthumbsup:
Deadline : March 6th

Last edited:

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Reminder that you can vote for more than one team, like this for example: 1>2=3>4

Edit: the deadline has been changed from 9th to 6th March

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)