Resource National Dex OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

assuming you mean on the same pokemon, your mistaken, mechanics are limited, meaning a pokemon that can mega cant use a z move / tera, a mon that is using a z move cant mega / tera, and a pokemon that has terastaled cant mega evolve or hold a z move. all of them are generational mechanics so they all take the same spot
Oh, I see, thank you. Still, can you terastallyze a pokémon with a mega stone or Z-crystal attached as long as they have not yet used them? That way, you gain flexibility, specially with pokémon like Garchomp or Tyranitar, who are good both mega and non-mega.

EDIT: Reading again, I guess the answer is not. I guess it might make thinks too complicated, and it might not even be easy to program, as someone stated.

Last edited:
I noticed rain is a controversial playstyle this gen. Why is this so? What's pushing it over the edge? Torn-T and swords dance urshifu i assume? Or is it something else? Thanks in advance.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
I noticed rain is a controversial playstyle this gen. Why is this so? What's pushing it over the edge? Torn-T and swords dance urshifu i assume? Or is it something else? Thanks in advance.
STAB tera water moves just do way too much, to the point that standard water can easily be overwhelmed, so you kinda need water immunities to deal with rain now. For example, if you rely on something like rotom-w to deal with rain, even to 1v1 floatzel you have to pretty much sack it:
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Water Floatzel Wave Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash in Rain: 191-225 (62.8 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And if it is paired with an other swift swimmer you are toasted

Is there a comprehensive ban list somewhere? When you go to the Smogon NatDex page the SV ban list is not updated with Pokemon like Palafin and Chien-Pao.

R8

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Is there a comprehensive ban list somewhere? When you go to the Smogon NatDex page the SV ban list is not updated with Pokemon like Palafin and Chien-Pao.
Type the following command anywhere on Pokemon Showdown:
/nds ag
To get the ruleset (so non-pokemon bans and clauses), type:
/tier natdex

Last edited:

Mathy

i'm not chien pao
is a Programmeris a Battle Simulator Moderator
I'm fixing the Blessing + Pursuit behavior, and I'm just checking w/ the staff here: Pursuit should not interact with Revival Blessing, correct? For reference, the current behavior is that it will interrupt Revival Blessing, but only if the target has any unfainted allies before using it.

Mod edit: yes

Last edited by a moderator:

R8

National Dex Leader
why do smeargle get gen 9 moves but aegislash not tera blast?
In a nutshell, there are two conditions for smeargle to be able to sketch a move (which is how it learns moves: it uses the move Sketch), which is 1. facing a pokemon that uses that move and 2. the move has to be sketchable

The condition 1. is fulfilled as natdex is a metagame where Smeargle can face every move in existence
The condition 2. is assumed to be fulfilled for gen9 moves as the only exceptions are Chatter, Sketch itself and Struggle.

I would add to this that unlike moves like Assist, there doesn't seem to be a specific flag in the code of the game for sketch (flags) so I assume the exceptions are just hardcoded in the move - in which case it makes sense for it to be able to copy gen9 moves.

Last edited:
I have always been confused why National Dex has some moves no longer in the games like Pursuit, while not having others like Heal Bell. Both seem to have been purposefully removed from the game but only some get added back in National Dex and I am curious why. Does it simply come down to those implementing it on showdown do not liking stall or am I being dumb and missing something?

R8

National Dex Leader
I have always been confused why National Dex has some moves no longer in the games like Pursuit, while not having others like Heal Bell. Both seem to have been purposefully removed from the game but only some get added back in National Dex and I am curious why. Does it simply come down to those implementing it on showdown do not liking stall or am I being dumb and missing something?
Heal bell still exists and is legal, there just is a bug with the builder and some commands that do not show Pokemon that learns it, but you can still bring it in a battle and it will validate

about15guys

your favorite pop idol
is a Pre-Contributor
How does Mirror Herb interact with Imposter Ditto?
If I have a +2 attack Dragapult holding mirror herb when a Ditto switches in, does the mirror herb see the Ditto's stat stage increasing and give my dragapult another +2 or does it just not trigger in the first place?

Probably asked somewhere else; why aren't transfer-only Pokémon like Hisuian Samurott, Overqwil and Rillaboom already not legal in National Dex? I know they haven't been officialy released yet by TPCi onto the SV games but considering the tier is impossible to replicate on cartridge, why won't Smogon / National Dex just allow them now?

R8

National Dex Leader
Hisuian Samurott, Overqwil
National Dex assumes transfers between gen7+ mainlines games (so: sun, moon, ultra sun, ultra moon, sword, shield, scarlet and violet). As these are only available in Pokemon Legends Arceus at the moment, they aren't available in NatDex
Rillaboom
Rillaboom is already legal

Hi, quick question about terrain effects in natdex: does electric terrain still prevent rest from activating or are only the latest gen effects of electric terrain being implemented?

Kyo

In Limbo
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
National Dex Leader
Hi, quick question about terrain effects in natdex: does electric terrain still prevent rest from activating or are only the latest gen effects of electric terrain being implemented?
Hi, could you elaborate on this? I wasn't aware terrain received changes this gen and I don't specifically handle mechanics, but it is possible PS! overlooked this.

Hi. quick question about custap berry. Currently right now it's illegal since it's unobtainable in Scarlet and Violet,but there was a post awhile back about it being weird that it's not allowed since mega and z-moves are allowed. Is this intended?

This was an oversight - they are meant to be legal. I think this is fixed now

Last edited:

R8

National Dex Leader
Hi. quick question about custap berry. Currently right now it's illegal since it's unobtainable in Scarlet and Violet,but there was a post awhile back about it being weird that it's not allowed since mega and z-moves are allowed. Is this intended?
likewise with kee, jaboca/rowap, micle, etc
They are legal, they are just showing up as illegal in the builder for some reason, but you can still use them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)