Resource National Dex OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Will the release of Pokémon Home affect move sets for NatDex formats?

For example, Staraptor in NatDex already has Roost, Double Edge & Defog. All of which would return in Gen9 with Pokemon Home.
However, the Gen 4 Starters for example don't keep the moves from PLA in NatDex such as Wave Crash on Empoleon, Raging Fury on Infernape & Headlong Rush on Torterra. But they would get them when added to SV with Pokemon Home.
Anything that doesn't exist yet in National Dex that gets introduced in SV will be available in National Dex. In other words, everything that exists in SV formats will exist in gen9 National Dex formats as well (barring bans of course)

I have a question on why we cant suspect arceus bug and hell even ice. They are both defensively mid because
a. bad typing defensively
b. Though they have great bulk sr really cuts into defensive potential. For instance though usually they can live tran magmastorm after sr they just die.
c. They cant hold any other item bar plate or Z-crystals which restricts them.

I can understand why ice wont work becuase of its stupidness but why cant bug work???

R8

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
I have a question on why we cant suspect arceus bug and hell even ice. They are both defensively mid because
a. bad typing defensively
b. Though they have great bulk sr really cuts into defensive potential. For instance though usually they can live tran magmastorm after sr they just die.
c. They cant hold any other item bar plate or Z-crystals which restricts them.

I can understand why ice wont work becuase of its stupidness but why cant bug work???
What I said in this post still applies in gen9, tldr the combination of excellents stats and movepool makes it consistently really hard to check with anything, and has ways to get past around anything, especially since it got new toys this gen (Taunt, Bulk Up, Dragon Dance)

Anything that doesn't exist yet in National Dex that gets introduced in SV will be available in National Dex. In other words, everything that exists in SV formats will exist in gen9 National Dex formats as well (barring bans of course)
Is there a list of which moves will be newly available that weren't before?

R8

National Dex Leader
Is there a list of which moves will be newly available that weren't before?
As NatDex already had the home movepools (as mons released through home already were in the game, just not catchable yet), nothing in natdex learnt new moves barring Smeargle, which can now sketch signatures moves from the hisui mons (ceaseless edge, esper wing, etc).

about15guys

Who's this chainsaw man
is a Pre-Contributor
Has it been confirmed that Punching gloves block contact all together? or is it just negative contact effects like contact pads?

R8

National Dex Leader
Protective Pads
Pretty sure protective pads in particular does not nullify contact, they just prevent opposing contact effects from activating

If this is not the case then the current implementation is wrong, as I've been using pads sneasler for a bit now. Punching Gloves does completely remove contact, though

uh? I thought it was the other way round with pads removing contact and gloves stopping contact-based effects
Neither removes contact, as R8 stated they only prevent contact effects from activating on the holder (eg. rocky helmet, static, flame body), however other contact-based that don't directly affect the attacker still work as usual (eg. weak armor, sand spit). The difference between the two is that pads works on all moves whilst punching glove works on only punch-based moves and gives them a slight boost.

Pretty sure protective pads in particular does not nullify contact, they just prevent opposing contact effects from activating
Neither removes contact, as R8 stated they only prevent contact effects from activating on the holder (eg. rocky helmet, static, flame body), however other contact-based that don't directly affect the attacker still work as usual (eg. weak armor, sand spit). The difference between the two is that pads works on all moves whilst punching glove works on only punch-based moves and gives them a slight boost.
1686121584855.png

1686121599702.png

It seems I have made a dumbass mistake and forgot to double check for Protective Pads (this belief was kind of why I was confused about Protective Pads Shifu). Misinfo, my bad.

Has NatDex considered this already (likely yes), and if yes, then why is it a bad idea in general? :

You can only Mega, Z, or Tera; if you do one, you can't do the others for the rest of the battle.

R8

National Dex Leader
Has NatDex considered this already (likely yes), and if yes, then why is it a bad idea in general? :

You can only Mega, Z, or Tera; if you do one, you can't do the others for the rest of the battle.
I remember this idea being thrown somewhere at some point, but imo it is a bad idea as it doesn't really solve any issues. Z moves probably would be pretty much not viable, while there would be a huge opportunity cost running any megas, and Tera still would be broken

red fintans

fintan is actually blue
is a Contributor to Smogon

pretty much what R8 said, Z moves already hardly see usage so it would just become obsolete, and Tera is still broken compared to mega

Steorra

nya smells
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Discord Leader

we also have a precedent built on the fact in gen 7 you could mega and z move in the same battle

I Feel like ash-gren should be in Nat dex even though the ability was reworked, since the point of nat dex is to have mins from prev gens

R8

National Dex Leader
I Feel like ash-gren should be in Nat dex even though the ability was reworked, since the point of nat dex is to have mins from prev gens
In my opinion, the point of National Dex is to see what happens if you are able to transfer old mons/items/moves/abilities from old gens to the current generation. We are still playing in gen9 though, so if something already exists in gen9, it should behaves the same way as it does in game.

In other words, since NatDex is basically an extension of the current games, any possible battle in scarlet and violet should be possible in national dex too, mechanically speaking. As such, Battle Bond working differently in NatDex compared to SV wouldn't make much sense

How are movepool handled? I've only found a rules on natdex 8g saying dexited moves from movepools are returned, and that absent pokemons didn't get updated movepools, but it doesn't seem coherent with what is mae on the builder. Is there a compendium or something that explains it in details?

E.G. : How I read it should make Zapdos with its 9g movepool and all dexited moves, not every moves he could learn in 7g added to the new ones in 9g

R8

National Dex Leader
How are movepool handled? I've only found a rules on natdex 8g saying dexited moves from movepools are returned, and that absent pokemons didn't get updated movepools, but it doesn't seem coherent with what is mae on the builder. Is there a compendium or something that explains it in details?

E.G. : How I read it should make Zapdos with its 9g movepool and all dexited moves, not every moves he could learn in 7g added to the new ones in 9g
If a pokemon learnt a move at any point since gen7, it will learn the move in national dex, that's it

red fintans

fintan is actually blue
is a Contributor to Smogon
If a pokemon learnt a move at any point since gen7, it will learn the move in national dex, that's it
This is also why gambit gets knock off and pursuit
because bisharp got them and gambit is evolved bisharp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)