Resource National Dex OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Why is Eject Button so good?
Eject button is good on bulkier Pokemon (usually Regenerator users since they heal while switching out and retaining momentum) since it provides a free switch in to dangerous wallbreakers, which are often frail and can't come in on their own.
Does National Dex use Snow or do they use Hail?
National Dex utilizes both; Hail is still a move and summons the Hail weather effect (deals chip damage), and Snow Warning summons Snow like normal in SV.

Eject button is good on bulkier Pokemon (usually Regenerator users since they heal while switching out and retaining momentum) since it provides a free switch in to dangerous wallbreakers, which are often frail and can't come in on their own.

National Dex utilizes both; Hail is still a move and summons the Hail weather effect (deals chip damage), and Snow Warning summons Snow like normal in SV.
Adding on to this, can you stack hail and snow, and if so, how do weather abilities interact with this?

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Hello,
Why Kyurem or Tapu's can't learn Tera Blast but Heatran can?
National Dex goes from the assumption that Pokemon are transferrable from gen7/gen8 to gen9. Some Pokemon already exist in gen9, but are just not catchable yet, like Regieleki or Heatran : however, they still have movepool additions coded in. Tapu Lele or Kyurem aren't in the code of the game, and thus do not get any new movepool.

Last edited:
Am I stupid or why do most of these pokepastes with a Mega Pokemon's have that pokemon's ability when it megas as their ability. Like in Gen 6 UU sample teams (https://www.smogon.com/roa/?format=gen6uu) why do all the pastes with Mega Aerodactyl have tough claws as the listed ability, if it always gains it when it evolves, might as well have Pressure as its ability then right? So you can take an additional pp on switch-in and then it will mega and gain tough claws anyways.

in the case of aero + sceptile it matters a lot less. if we're talking mega mawile or mega lopunny, then the pre-evolution abilities would matter more, and are often set in the builder.

about15guys

Who's this chainsaw man
is a Pre-Contributor
Is there a paticular reason why defog is much more commonly used than rapid spin, or is it just because of ghost types?

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Is there a paticular reason why defog is much more commonly used than rapid spin, or is it just because of ghost types?
When you look at potential available spinners, there is really not much. The best we have is Great Tusk; Excadrill is straight-up bad and Glimmora and Cyclizar are pretty mediocre. Defog just has better distribution, and yeah, only being bothered by Gholdengo is a good boon too in regards to being blocked.

about15guys

Who's this chainsaw man
is a Pre-Contributor
When you look at potential available spinners, there is really not much. The best we have is Great Tusk; Excadrill is straight-up bad and Glimmora and Cyclizar are pretty mediocre. Defog just has better distribution, and yeah, only being bothered by Gholdengo is a good boon too in regards to being blocked.
Makes sense, that's what I was thinking originally but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something

Mawlicious

Banned deucer.
Okay so after Tera into a type, any moves lower than 60 base power of the same type got boosted to 60bp due to weird gimmick right? Does that mean that Pursuit after tera dark makes it have 120 bp to opponents switching out? Damage calculator make it deal 80bp to opponents switching out by default even after Tera dark. The move's description says Pursuit's bp would double, not set to 80bp. I want to know if it's the calculator's fault or if it's actually implemented into showdown like that as well. Thanks!

Okay so after Tera into a type, any moves lower than 60 base power of the same type got boosted to 60bp due to weird gimmick right? Does that mean that Pursuit after tera dark makes it have 120 bp to opponents switching out? Damage calculator make it deal 80bp to opponents switching out by default even after Tera dark. The move's description says Pursuit's bp would double, not set to 80bp. I want to know if it's the calculator's fault or if it's actually implemented into showdown like that as well. Thanks!
I believe they are using the same logic as technician pursuit, which is that any changes based on the BP come after all modifiers, such as technician and terastal, are counted (technician pursuit has 60 bp on a stay and 80 on a switch)

R8

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Why was Mega Blastoise banned? It doesn't seem that powerful.
In a nutshell, it is way too strong with shell smash, even able to overpower dedicated special walls such as Chansey, especially with spikes up. MStoise was banned in the early days of gen8 National Dex, if you want to read more here is the link to its suspect test

RoiDadadou

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded.
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey there, just wanted to know, in terms of legality:
- In NatDex, moves from SM which were deleted, like Pursuit or Hidden Power, are usuable.
- Moves lost between two generations, like Pokémon losing Knock Off or Defog in Gen 9, are still usuable. For example, Weavile keeps Triple Axel and Knock Off.
- Legality is made hereditary. For example, Bisharp having Knock Off makes it so, even if no Bisharp can learn it in SV, Kingambit also has Knock Off.

Thus, with all those (great, imo) decisions regarding movepools, I'm asking myself: why do we not take into account at all in NatDex the GSC move distributions?
Some of those would be very important to specific Mon, and I think it is fair to include within the list?

Just let me know if there is a special rule against it.

R8

National Dex Leader
Thus, with all those (great, imo) decisions regarding movepools, I'm asking myself: why do we not take into account at all in NatDex the GSC move distributions?
Some of those would be very important to specific Mon, and I think it is fair to include within the list?
You might also have noticed that items that were removed before gen7, such as berserk gene and gen5 gems, are not present in National Dex, while old items from gen7 such as certain berries, z-moves and mega stones are present in National Dex. This is pretty much only because National Dex only assumes Pokemon and items transfers from gen7+ to the current generation, and pretty much tries to emulate what would the current generation be if the gen8 dexit never happened (which is why pre-gen7 stuff were not included in the first place).

I should mention that the idea to expand National Dex to include the pre-gen7 non transferrable stuff, such as GSC movepools, was discussed in the past, but this idea never really took off. Personally I don't think it would be a great idea, as there isn't much interest in it in general, might affect gen8 National Dex negatively (as this is a metagame very appreciated by the playerbase, and it would be a shame to "ruin" it for the sake completeness), and adds an unnecessary amount of power creep through the existence of gems, in a metagame that already has very high power level.

are we gonna give sinistea/poltea celebrate from the 2022 world champs distribution? would the rules be different vs official tiers?

RoiDadadou

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded.
is a Pre-Contributor
You might also have noticed that items that were removed before gen7, such as berserk gene and gen5 gems, are not present in National Dex, while old items from gen7 such as certain berries, z-moves and mega stones are present in National Dex. This is pretty much only because National Dex only assumes Pokemon and items transfers from gen7+ to the current generation, and pretty much tries to emulate what would the current generation be if the gen8 dexit never happened (which is why pre-gen7 stuff were not included in the first place).

I should mention that the idea to expand National Dex to include the pre-gen7 non transferrable stuff, such as GSC movepools, was discussed in the past, but this idea never really took off. Personally I don't think it would be a great idea, as there isn't much interest in it in general, might affect gen8 National Dex negatively (as this is a metagame very appreciated by the playerbase, and it would be a shame to "ruin" it for the sake completeness), and adds an unnecessary amount of power creep through the existence of gems, in a metagame that already has very high power level.
I do see your points, but my two points here:
- This would not bring any kind of powercreep. Given, Berserk Gene could be discussed as strong, banned if you want, but that's about it. Any other option, like Rapid Spin Golem, Moonlight Nidoqueen, etc, would not bring any kind of broken powercreep. So it would not ruin anything imo.

- The gems are not broken anymore. 1.3 since Gen 6, makes them not worth the trouble most of the time, especially in metagames with Regenerator, where you want to be able to use all your moves. They're weaker than Z, Koffable, and you can't chose when to use it.

I really don't see a clear reason not to do so, as it establishes the NatDex as a complete metagame, including every transfer possible.

If you can discuss it in DMs via Discord R8, I'd appreciate to understand your take as a whole.

On the topic of how we handle generational shifts:
On PS, overcoat blocks damage from hail in Gen 9 Natdex. I'm not sure about this, but I assume it is not programmed to ignore hail in SV because hail doesn't exist. Is the keeping of this effect intentional?

Edit: The ability description also looks like it's been edited going into gen 9 to not include the hail immunity

R8

National Dex Leader
On the topic of how we handle generational shifts:
On PS, overcoat blocks damage from hail in Gen 9 Natdex. I'm not sure about this, but I assume it is not programmed to ignore hail in SV because hail doesn't exist. Is the keeping of this effect intentional?

Edit: The ability description also looks like it's been edited going into gen 9 to not include the hail immunity
The previous known interactions of hail were kept, that's kinda about it

From my knowledge those kind of interactions are generally left untouched

On a Nasty Plot Tornadus-T set with Flyinium Z, would Hurricane or Bleakwind Storm be better for the main STAB? Is the 10% higher accuracy worth sacrificing the 10 higher Base Power (5 higher Supersonic Skystrike BP) and the change of confusion chance to speed drop chance, or is there some crucial calc that Hurricane hits and Bleakwind doesn't? (I'm also using Heat Wave over Focus Blast if that matters here)

I just wanted to ask this because I've been finding good success on my team with NP Torna-T, but I have historically terrible luck with Hurricane misses and I hate relying on it for my main source of damage since it seems to miss more often than not at the absolute worst times. Any

On a Nasty Plot Tornadus-T set with Flyinium Z, would Hurricane or Bleakwind Storm be better for the main STAB? Is the 10% higher accuracy worth sacrificing the 10 higher Base Power (5 higher Supersonic Skystrike BP) and the change of confusion chance to speed drop chance, or is there some crucial calc that Hurricane hits and Bleakwind doesn't? (I'm also using Heat Wave over Focus Blast if that matters here)

I just wanted to ask this because I've been finding good success on my team with NP Torna-T, but I have historically terrible luck with Hurricane misses and I hate relying on it for my main source of damage since it seems to miss more often than not at the absolute worst times. Any
with flyinium z, hurricane seems a bit more optimal because it gives a higher z power and accuracy doesnt matter on z moves anyways. To be honest though, it's not that much base power, so whatever you feel like works

Will the release of Pokémon Home affect move sets for NatDex formats?

For example, Staraptor in NatDex already has Roost, Double Edge & Defog. All of which would return in Gen9 with Pokemon Home.
However, the Gen 4 Starters for example don't keep the moves from PLA in NatDex such as Wave Crash on Empoleon, Raging Fury on Infernape & Headlong Rush on Torterra. But they would get them when added to SV with Pokemon Home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)