Resource National Dex OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
This thread is for simple questions that need relatively simple answers. Quote the question you are answering to help keep things organized. If you were considering making a thread to ask "Why was [X] banned???" or "Was Protean nerfed?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here

Last edited:
deoxys-speed.gif
Small question for the council: is the unban of Deoxys-S a possible option for the beginning of this next generation? Far from thinking that it's a perfectly healthy mon, but it should still be noted that its too efficient suicide lead profile is unique among Ubers. That's not counting the potential revenge killer sets with a Z-Crystal.

Always banned in previous generations by a suspect test alongside his defensive counterpart (last time at the start of XY), it's rarely been seen in action in a metagame where Defog is much more distributed, where Rapid Spin is buffed and where Boots are ubiquitous. Alongside the traditional convenience unbans (Genesect, Landorus-I or Pheromosa), is this an option on the table?

Last edited:

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Small question for the council: is the unban of Deoxys-S a possible option for the beginning of this next generation? Far from thinking that it's a perfectly healthy mon, but it should still be noted that its too efficient suicide lead profile is unique among Ubers. That's not counting the potential revenge killer sets with a Z-Crystal.

Always banned in previous generations by a suspect test alongside his defensive counterpart (last time at the start of XY), it's rarely been seen in action in a metagame where Defog is much more distributed, where Rapid Spin is buffed and where Boots are ubiquitous. Alongside the traditional convenience unbans (Genesect, Landorus-I or Pheromosa), is this an option on the table?
I doubt it will be unbanned, not thanks to its abilities as a hazard setter, but thanks to its offensive abilities as it has the coverage to hit pretty much everything while being faster than some scarfers like lele or lando-t, complemented by its access to psycho boost and nasty plot - thats basically the kind of mon that really could beat anything it wants with the right set. Cosmic Power + Taunt sets would probably be awful to face as well

So uh, I don't know if this is a problem on my part or not, but the tier won't actually allow any Pokémon not in Gen 9, saying they don't exist in the National Dex.

Coding error?

R8

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
So uh, I don't know if this is a problem on my part or not, but the tier won't actually allow any Pokémon not in Gen 9, saying they don't exist in the National Dex.

Coding error?
Gen9 is quite buggy rn, stuff like that will be fixed soon

Are NatDex OU bans strictly just the Ubers from base game OU? Mostly just asking because a lot of potentially Ubers threats this gen seem like they'd be checked pretty easily with the mons in NatDex.

I have questions about this. What process did the council take for allowing Uber mons into NatDex even if it is for a short while. From what I have seen the following mons have been unbanned: Mega Blaziken, Zamazenta-Crowned, Genesect, Deoxys-Speed, Dragapult, Tornadus-T, Kyurem-Black, Magearna, Naganadel, Shaymin and Cinderace. Now, some of these are completely understandable and I believe that they could probably serve a healthy function within NatDex OU but some of these choices are, interesting. I understand these mons weren't world-beaters in Ubers but who in their right mind ever decided that Zamazenta-Crown, a box art legendary with base 128 speed and 120 attack with a 100% steel STAB move with no downside would EVER mesh well with the current metagame is ludicrous or what about Mega-Blaziken with his 160 base attack and speed boost, both of these have little to no switch ins.

While some of these being in the tier is questionable to say the least the fact that other Uber mons weren't pushed down to OU confuses me more. Like what was the thought behind letting in Kyurem-Black and Naganadel but not things like Mega-Metagross, Mega-Alakazam or Darkrai. These are all considerably weaker and less efficient than the current mons that have been allowed into the tier so I'm genuinely just confused.

I know it's the first few days of NatDex but what was the thought process behind this? Why were they ever allowed into the tier?

Sulo

pure heroine
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
how do terrastlize works with previous gimmick? can pokemon holding mega stone or z-crystal change to tera type?
If you have a Z-Crystal, you can still Tera. I haven't played with a Mega yet to know if you can Terastalize with with them, but I'm assuming you can't. You can ask in the National Dex Discord server for a more immediate response to your question.

Last edited:
Will Gen 9 Natdex keep the nerf to recover? How about the mass removal of knock off and defog?

If Natdex accepts the Gen 9 changes, what does it mean for the meta?

Will Gen 9 Natdex keep the nerf to recover? How about the mass removal of knock off and defog?

If Natdex accepts the Gen 9 changes, what does it mean for the meta?
The nerf to most recovery moves (16 PP > 8 PP) was already applied as not doing it would just be innacurate to the games (the purpose to a simulator is to be as close to the main games as possible, even if its inconvenient we just have to deal with it). While the loss of most pokemon valuable moves (Knock Off, Defog, Roost, Scald and others) aren't present in here as National Dex keeps transfer moves intact.

The real deal about this is the nerf of healing moves as it drastically makes the metagame more offense based due to the limited time a mon will have to fend off an offensive threat. As of now its unclear if defensive playstyles are completely gone since the current meta still has a lot of things to pick off before actually settling (which is gonna take a while to do so). If you want my opinion on this, defensive pokes or playstyles are still fine, the recovery nerf hurts a lot in terms of handling offensive threats on long term scenarios but with the current options such as Regenerator and a few buffs to older pokemon, there's a chance that when the meta gets established and most of the broken stuff leaves (im looking at you Flutter Mane), defense will be explored.

R8 make it real

Will natdex accept the changes to ability patch (i.e. mons with hidden ability can now have their standard ability)?

This means that mons from gen 1/2 can now have transfer-only moves and their standard ability (but still can't have gen 3, 4, 5, or 6 transfer moves at the same time).

R8

National Dex Leader
Will natdex accept the changes to ability patch (i.e. mons with hidden ability can now have their standard ability)?

This means that mons from gen 1/2 can now have transfer-only moves and their standard ability (but still can't have gen 3, 4, 5, or 6 transfer moves at the same time).
Yes

Is Nat Dex uu coming after November usage stats?
Probably - i attempted to get confirmation for this, but from my knowledge there is no reason why this shouldnt be playable once we get our November's usage stats

I know that gamefreak nerfed recover, roost, etc., but did they nerf wish?
No. Strength Sap is not nerfed either.

For future bans are there any plans for us to get anything like the "On The Radar" announcements from the main OU tier leaders? Maybe NatDex OU is a small enough community that it isn't warranted, but I think it's nice and I appreciate being able to have discussion based on what the council thinks should be considered about rather than it just happening out of nowhere without much in way of outside opinions. Could also be a way to get more activity in the main thread even though it looks like most of the focus is on the main OU meta right now.

Sorry for another question, but has a NatDex Ubers ever been considered? I feel like the jump between OU and AG is pretty extreme with things like Mega Rayquaza and now Tera Shedninja especially. I assume it's just a lack of interest/availability for moderating another tier but I'm still curious.

R8

National Dex Leader
Sorry for another question, but has a NatDex Ubers ever been considered? I feel like the jump between OU and AG is pretty extreme with things like Mega Rayquaza and now Tera Shedninja especially. I assume it's just a lack of interest/availability for moderating another tier but I'm still curious.
For the record, there was an attempt for natdex ubers in the past but it just didnt get enough traction / interest to work.

If a group of people manage to form a playerbase for ndUbers, and play the tier, while establishing a ruleset and create good ressources for it - thus proving that there is interest for ndUbers - there is a possibility for it to get some recognition eventually (see: ndru)

I have I am asking this in the right place, but is replacing Hail by Snow an example of "one step forward, two steps backwards"? Because while I appreciate the buff to the Def on Ice-types, was it worth it to eliminate the damage caused to other Pokémon every turn?

Sulo

pure heroine
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
I have I am asking this in the right place, but is replacing Hail by Snow an example of "one step forward, two steps backwards"? Because while I appreciate the buff to the Def on Ice-types, was it worth it to eliminate the damage caused to other Pokémon every turn?
I'd say it was an upgrade if anything; it's a lot easier to take advantage of the Defense boost given from Snow, because that in tandem with Aurora Veil makes Ice-type sweepers like Baxcalibur, Chien-Pao, and Cetitan a lot harder to deal with.

Why is Smeargle able to learn Double Iron Bash?
Well, and every other Gen 8/9 move that isn't Life Dew or Body Press, since those can be learned in BDSP which Smeargle is in fact in.

It's not fair that Smeargle gets to have moves that it's never been able to learn in any game just because "that's how we think that Sketch is going to work".
Not decreasing Heal Order's PP to 8 makes sense, because we don't know if it'll be nerfed if it will even exist after this point.
Allowing Smeargle to have these moves doesn't make sense, because if we go by that logic then Tera Blast, as a near-universal TM, should be accessible to all pokemon that are capable of learning near-universal TMs.
Smeargle is already unable to learn Chatter, and I believe that in situations where we have no information on if a move is sketchable or not, it shouldn't be just like in situations where we aren't sure if a move will become learnable or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)