Project National Dex Monotype Team Bazaar

1619965673492.png

approved by maroon | OP mostly stolen from the RU bazaar thread | amazing art by Fusion Flare

Welcome to the National Dex Monotype Team Bazaar! This thread is for sharing any teams you might have made with other National Dex Monotype players on the forum to use/admire. You can also ask for advice and suggest changes to improve the teams other players have posted here. When posting a team, make sure to include the importable and a short description of how your team functions so other players can try it out and learn how it works. You're also free to provide some replays if you wish; in fact, it is encouraged. While this is less formal than a RMT, please still make sure you've tried out your team a reasonable amount before posting.

That's it, you may now start posting!​

Last edited:
  • So this is a fire type team which revolves around the principle of launching off Sun boosted fire type attacks from the likes of dangerous offenive threats such as Cinderace , Volcanion , Heatran and Mega-charizard X​
  • Hazard control is a very important factor to keep the team more healthy and hence I have two pokemon to clear hazards in torkoal and moltres​
  • Torkoal is a very key pokemon in enabling this team to function to its full potential as it is the only pokemon that can provide sun support , one of the two hazard clearers and also checks dangerous physical attacking threats like the Urshifus and heracross by virtue of its good defense stat , I also gave rock tomb on it for home speed control and to not let volcarona abuse it for set-up .​
  • Cinderace i a very powerfull and consistent physical attacking threat due to its powerfull sun boosted pyro balls , high-jump kick[ coverage for fighting types ] , Gunk shot [ crucial coverage for fairy types like tapu fini and azumarril ] and the momentum retaining U-turn which stings quite a lot of pokemon before getting out of the feild .​
  • Volcanion is here as the only saving grace against water types as it is completely immune to water attacks and hence poses a serious threat to those teams . It also is here to abuse sun by using boosted fire blasts which do nasty damage and even make resists feel hesitant to switch into it , Steam eruption is its other STAB move which is mostly abused against opposing rain teams and does as much damage as sun-boosted fire blasts under the rain . Earth power is just golden coverage against opposing heatran and rock types [ while under the sun ] and sludge bomb is here to just round out the set and maybe sting fairies like Tapu-fini and azumarill .​
  • Moltres is also a defensive backbone for this team as its flame body ability is extremely usefull in potentially nudering opposing physical attackers with a burn . Its Mystical fire is also here too reduce damage output from opposing special attackers with special attack drop by 1 stage . Roost is here for reliable recovery , defog is here for hazard removal and U-turn is here for to maintain offensive momentum .​
  • Heatran is equipped with a choice scarf to use fast sun boosted eruption which do disgustingly high amounts of damage despite being equipped with a choice scarf . It is extremely hard to switch into under the sun without a slowking[ regular ] or a really bulky fire resist that doesnt crumble to its coverage . Fire blast is an additional STAB move that can be used when heatran is weakened to the point where eruption is a weaker move and still hits quite hard . Flash cannon is its other STAB move that uses its steel typing and can me used to hit fairy types and rock types hard . Lastly we have earth power which is just a golden coverage move that can be used to hit opposing fire types that take its other moves fairly well . It is also one of the main reasons why heatran doesnt have too many checks .​
  • Lastly we have Mega-charizard-X , who is the mega of the team . Mega-charizard-X is a potent sweeper who sets up on many things and gets work done after a turn or two of set up with the move dragon dance . Flare blitz , may not be the most reliable STAB move , but its sheer damage output with this move is simply ridiculous due to the STAB and tough claws [ its ability ] boosts . Dragon claw is its dragon type STAB move that helps deal with opposing dragon types who resist its fire STAB , and is also a reilable STAB move at that . TO round out the set we have Earthquake specifically for pokemon such as toxepex who takes the afformentioned attacks relatively easily , but also helps in wearing down opposing rock and poison types without the expense of recoil damage from flare blitz .​
Weaknesses
Mono water teams are just naturally hard to deal with as these teams resist the fire moves and fire back with super effective water moves that may be boosted by rain . This problem can however be circumvented by either retaining the sunlight with risky predictions and offenisive momentum , or by also just abusing rain with volcanion to fir off devestating steam eruptions that is bound to leave dents in the opposition . Volcaion also helps in this regard defensively as it is immune to water type attacks by virtue of its water absorb ability .
Rock types also pose a similar threat as they have their own weather to disrupt sun and they posses a natural resistance to fire type attacks and hit back with super effective rock moves . This problem is to be circumvented only by applying offensive pressure from the likes of Cinderace and Zard-X to threaten the oppostion with super effective coverage in the form of high-jump-kick and earthquake , and against the slower pokemon , Volcanion would help eliminate those with Steam eruption or earth-power​

Last edited:

Ashbala

You can pretend that it was me, but no, oh ♪
is a Pre-Contributor
Hello everyone !
I will like to share the Nat dex Bug team which is both good for ladder as well as Tour games :blobuwu:

EXPLANATION :

The team is an offensive one mainly revolves on lead araquanid and setting up webs. I made it as Z move one because of its ability which boost water type moves. It also has the power to deal some massive damage to walls and lead such as mega Sableye, Skarmory and offensive setup sweeper threat such as Mega Zard X & Y and so on. Here are some calcs for proof.

252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 100 Def Sableye-Mega: 289-342 (95.3 - 112.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 348-411 (117.1 - 138.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 217-256 (64.9 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 270-318 (67.8 - 79.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

2. Once the webs active, Pinsir mega, Buzzwole will be the main core in sweeping along with volcarona as the special one. Scizor will be the key mon to deal Rock and poison ( barring :toxapex: )

3. I kept Armaldo as the hazard/spin option and it's boots protects hazard damage which is kinda easy to remove. Its Attack is good and deals heavy damage to neutral mons and threats.

WEAKNESS :

Overall, the team is very good in ladder as well tours. Although some flaws such as if the webs didn't active or the hazard remover dies, It affects the offensive core very badly. Second, the team is weak to fire and flying. The threats of Zapdos, Blacephalon definitely will be a problem for this team. Other than that, Its overall good and will be great to use it for ladder :)

REPLAYS :

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldexmonotype-1326787023-a794n49iv1bedh4t0yjalpw6823s314pw

Last edited:
Hi this is a team I peaked the ladder with this team
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Endeavor

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Substitute

Tapu Koko @ Expert Belt
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- High Horsepower

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
Screenshot_20210503-112013~2.png

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/d5142598a65b9765

Fun psychic team I made with the help of Rotten featuring offensive Deoxys-Speed. Deoxys Can prove to be a threat in the flying and water matchups with its boltbeam coverage and energy ball + thunderbolt. Victini and Mega Gallade are the physical wallbreakers that support Deoxys against threats like jirachi, ferrothorn, mega sableye, Alolan muk and more. Jirachi provides stealth rock support which allows Deoxys and its teammates to break things with more ease. Latias is the speed control of the teams while also providing healing wish and defog support so that it’s teammates can have another shot at battling again and to keep hazards off the field. Lastly Tapu lele is here as a special wallbreaker incase Deoxys can’t find an opportunity to set up and also improves in both the dark and dragon matchups.
Hopefully you’ll like this team :D

Last edited:
Here's my mega beedril bug team
https://pokepast.es/62300db48d4b049f

It's hyper offense with shuckle as the suicide lead. You want to make sure webs are out so your sweepers can outspeed choice scarf users so sometimes its good to save his red card for when the defoggers are gone. I almost never go for toxic but shuckle really only needs 3 moves to do his job. Every pokemon other than shuckle and scizor can function as sweepers. Beedril is really good as a cleaner and also makes a good wincon if you can get a swords dance up. You usually want a web up since he's frail and can get ohkod by a lot of scarf users. Heracross also serves double duty as a cleaner/wincon. If he gets rolling with the right move its game over for the other player. Volcorona is pretty much just a wincon but its a powerful one. It has a really good movepool so you can tweak it how you like. Hidden power is nice coverage but giga drain works well. Some people also run psychic on it over bug buzz. Fire blast can be fun but I already have stone edge on two pokemon and I don't like pushing my luck. Crustle is a bit of a meme pick but if you can get a weakness policy off you usually win. As far as physical sweepers go you might do better with scollipede but crustle is a fun choice in the right matchup. Scizor is a great wallbreaker and pivot. He has a really good defensive typing and decent defensive stats to tank a hit and his u turn hurts bad for a lowish power move. His bullet punch does a ton of damage for a priority move and it gives you free wins against fairy teams. Superpower ohkos almost any pokemon that doesn't resist it short of the beefiest defensive walls. I've found that this team struggles the most against flying types. Bug types in general don't have a lot of coverage against flying types and sticky web does nothing against them. The matchup that can be tricky is fighting since they resist a lot of my moves. Oddly enough this team does really well against rock and fire types but I do run a lot of ground and rock moves.

Tico

Heart of the Mountain
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I'll be dropping a Dragon team that i use to ladder for the suspect test and to play for fun.

Hyper Offense Dragon
:ss/garchomp: :ss/kommo-o: :ss/latias: :ss/kyurem: :ss/dragonite: :ss/altaria-mega:
This is a standart Hyper Offense Dragon team. Garchomp is the hazard setter and can threat opposing teams with Swords Dance + Scale Shot, letting it attemp to sweep against types like Dragon, Electric, and Poison. Kommonium Z Kommo-o is a strong mixed sweeper, its attacks can hit most the tier for neutral damage, Taunt prevents it from Haze and getting phazed, Bulletproof to switch in Blacephalon's Shadow Ball, Gengar's Shadow Ball and Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball. Choice Scarf Latias is the team's speed control, Defogger and main answer to most Poison-types, Healing Wish provides support to the team by healing a damaged ally. Heavy-Duty Boots Kyurem helps a lot against Water, it can switch in Greninja's Ice Beam and threat all the enemy team with Freeze-Dry, Substitute + Roost helps it attack safely and PP Stall some threats with the help from Pressure. Choice Band Dragonite is a nice wallbreaker and revenge killer, Outrage is its most powerfull move, Earthquake and Fire Punch provides coverage, and Extreme Speed let it take off weakened opponents and clean opposing teams in the late-game. Dragon Dance Altaria is a powerfull setup sweeper that can check opposing Dragon-types with its Fairy-typing, Frustation is used to beat Ditto since it usually uses max happiness to use Return, Earthquake is a nice coverage, and Roost provides longevity.
Though i don't have any replay proof, i used this team to ladder for the Dragapult's, Spectrier's and Tapu Lele's suspects, i have got the reqs in these three suspects. The Kommo-o's ability can be changed to Soundproof to help it check opposing Kommo-o and Ditto, though Bulletproof Kommo-o can OHKO the opposing Ditto comming in Clanging Scales; i changed the abiltiy to Bulletproof to ladder for the Spectrier's suspect, since it was nice to switch in against its Shadow Ball. Fairy teams has all the advantage against this team since i don't have Duraludon or Dragalge, they can simply destroy this team. Mega Lopunny Normal is a big threat too, Mega Lopunny's Triple Axel and Close Combat threat all the team, Staraptor, Porygon-2 and Blissey can absorb most the attacks, and Ditto can revenge kill most os these Pokémon, though Mega Altaria's Frustation helps against max happiness Ditto. Galarian Weezing Poison is a big threat too, Galarian Weezing can switch-in against most Pokémon thanks to Levitate, it threatens the team with Strange Steam and Will-O-Wisp, Latias's Psychic would be the best attack against it, but Assault Vest Alolan Muk or Assault Vest Galarian Slowking just switches in to absorb Psychic.

Steel HO: a concept
A background on the idea
Through experience with nat dex mono, or any mono tier in general, you become accustomed to the general archetypes a type can run, or what is usually most optimal. For example, poison at its best is semi stall usually, bug, hyper offense, and so forth. Steel is no exception to this. After all, it's usually a balance team that abuses what I think is one of the most comically stupid combinations in the game, that being, the dreaded immunity core.

So now that you've already read the title, you're thinking, "what's the deal with steel HO? Why would I run such an awkward archetype for this given type? I'm stripping myself of the ability to use the defensive profile of the team to the fullest, and so forth? Why bother go to this effort?" I'm probably just gonna have more success with a sample steel balance team or something like that right?

And the simple answer is: It's fun. It's a concept that turns the idea of how steel is perceived, on its head to make something that is unorthodox, yet, in its ways, effective.

So with that being said, allow me to present the team, the building process, matchups, and other considerations.
Note: this isn't necessarily a brand new idea. Steel HO has existed for a bit of time, although rarely, as it is overshadowed by the superior steel immunity core balance structure. I'm simply just focusing the spotlight on this fun idea.

So here's the team that I've rolled with for a while: https://pokepast.es/55c0162f43dea1cd

Teambuilding
Where do we start? Well, like most HO teams, you gotta have a suicide lead. And a few options came to mind.
:ss/skarmory: :ss/klefki: :ss/excadrill:
Skarmory has been known as a potential lead for a few generations. Access to both rocks and spikes, taunt, brave bird recoil to take itself out if at low, it's a classic example of a suicide lead. This lead in fact dates back to the gen 5 OU days. Klefki is a bit uncommon and only has spikes as the hazard of choice, but brings something else to the table: dual screens. Knowing how heavily focused HO teams are on set up, screens can prove to be quite potent, especially since steel has solid offensive set up options. Excadrill is a bit more common when considering the OU tiers. Rapid spin to deny opponents hazards, rocks of your own, and other unique tools such as rock tomb, steel beam, etc. My choice here was skarmory, since I thought it was cooler and I did like the throwback to gen 5 OU. Excadrill here also has a different purpose on my team (you'll see later).

Next I needed some physical attackers to choose from.
:sm/scizor-mega: :ss/bisharp: :ss/lucario: :ss/aegislash:
All of these options are generally very solid since they all have something unique to bring to the table. Mega scizor has the priority in bullet punch which is always appreciated, and has a nice coverage movepool for certain targets of your choice, from bug bite, superpower, knock off to dual wingbeat. Bisharp has a very nice dark stab in knock off and priority, both which are generally spammable and also has the defiant ability, which is great to deter defog attempts from the opponent, especially since you want to stack hazards with the HO lead at the beginning. Lucario has fighting stab, which may be important to break opposing bulky steel teams which might wall a steel HO team like this, while also packing priority, boosting moves and great coverage on both sides of the spectrum (special or physical). Aegislash also packs priority and swords dance like the others, which seems to be the trend now, but unlike the others, packs some important defensive utility in being a part ghost type, allowing it to be the team's fighting immunity and rapid spin blocker, another way to block hazards. Here I decided to use mega scizor cause I wanted a mega on the team and I elected to use bisharp since I liked how potent it could be at preventing hazard removal, since defog is usually a bit more expected in the meta compared to rapid spin.

Now for the special attackers:
:ss/jirachi: :ss/celesteela: :ss/lucario:
Jirachi here has important psychic typing for a fighting neutrality, and stab psychic moves to of course threaten those fighting types. A calm mind set is feasible, but since we're in nat dex mono, it would be even more fun to use a z happy hour set with this pokemon. Celesteela has been known for two things, either a defensive leech protect set, or an offensive autotomize sweeper, and knowing the theme, it shouldn't be hard to figure out what set we're choosing here. The ground immunity is also appreciated. Lucario doesn't really need too much introduction since it was talked about earlier. Priority, nasty plot, fighting stab, you get the idea. I chose the first two cause the utility they have in certain matchups can prove to be quite useful, and also I believe they would end up being much more fun to use. Z happy hour jirachi is a comically effective pokemon between its decent power and flinch happy iron head. Celesteela got a new toy in meteor beam which does a lot of damage, especially when you consider that you usually hit with a plus 1 meteor beam when it activates due to how the move works.

The last option:
Last but not least, excadrill
:ss/excadrill:
I had a specific set for this pokemon since I had a specific use for it on the team. Firstly, the defensive or offensive utility it provided was useful. Electric immunity and ground stab meaning it would not only block volt switch (which would otherwise be spammed against the team), but also a way to deal big damage to electric teams. It also hits most steels which is good in order to break most of them. It's ground stab alongside rock slide also creates perfect coverage to hit fire types. But you might be thinking, how would it get the opportunity against fire teams. So many of the options they have are quite fast. Well, that's where the hidden trick comes in: focus sash. With swords dance, a buffed rapid spin, it can the opportunity to get a set up on fire and potentially beat them. It's not perfect, but it's something (fire is usually dead for this team anyways, as per most if not every steel team that exists).

Matchups
This post is already long as is so I'm just gonna quickly go over some matchups that are interesting or just straight up bad for the team and what could be done.
Fire: this should be a no brainer. It's even worse now that there's no heatran on this current version. Best bet is to anti-lead the torkoal they usually carry with exca, and attempt to dent them with your moves.
Water: ever wondered why steel packs ferro? Yeah, this is why. A team that has no water resists, versus a team that likes to abuse rain boosted stab attacks from mega swampert, urshifu, manaphy and the likes, is a very bad recipe for this team. It's even worse cause they're likely to outspeed you. Somehow, you wanna get hazards up to force chip, and if you ever predict a defog coming in, switch in bisharp immediately. Also aim to get rid of urshifu as fast as possible as it is the mon likely to shred the team first.
Fighting: steel vs fighting, yeah, should be bad. Can be possible if you get jirachi and celesteela set up. Scizor might also do some work here. Those are the main wincons
Ghost: This is where you don't lead skarm since mega sableye is likely going to block any hazard attempt. Rapid spinning with exca also is not possible here. You probably just want to attempt to break sableye with celesteela and don't let bisharp get burned.
Dragon: a bit like fighting mainly cause kommo-o is actually the scariest thing about the team vs you. A fun fact, plus 1 flamethrower does not OHKO jirachi, meaning after a sac, you boost up with jirachi and kill it back the next turn
Bug: this isn't as easy as it is on face value. You no longer have a switch into volcarona and scarfed buzzwole/hera will likely cleave through. Celesteela is of course important here since it has the coverage to destroy the team if you set it up correctly. Also preserve exca's sash for volc or preserve skarm if you haven't gotten rid of their spinner yet.
There are many other matchups vs this steel HO team, each with their own dynamic, but I'll leave it here for now since these are in my experience, the most interesting ones.

Other considerations
Steel HO as a concept is still relatively unexplored, and the team I have definitely is flawed in certain ways. I don't even think it's that optimised and that there could be some modifications to adapt for certain other matchups.
:ss/aegislash: is still a great consideration since it completes the "hazard-proof core" alongside skarm with taunt, and bisharp. It also has the components you want for a physical sweeper with its priority and good coverage.
:ss/heatran: a special attacker, but not a set up sweeper, which is why I didn't introduce it earlier. Why do I bring it here? Cause it can run an offensive set for the team, whilst still contributing to the team defensively, courtesy of flash fire, which is the main selling point of heatran for this team. An air balloon set with magma storm, earth power, hidden power ice, and taunt can be effective for example.
:ss/klefki: I wanna stress something here, I am not underrating the power of screens. I've used them myself on other teams and know how effective they are. You don't even have to sacrifice your screens setter after getting them up, allowing you to get them up later in the game and make the set up of another mon easier. A more niche, but potentially deadly set is a calm mind iron defense magnet rise draining kiss set. Designed to lure and potentially 6-0 dragon or dark.

In general you could even fit other speed control, like a scarfer somewhere. There's just a lot you can do as long as you can fit it to what matchup you wanna have an edge against. Steel is versatile enough in its offensive options that you can tailor something to what you want. So by all means, explore the possibilities.

Conclusion
This post has been longer than I thought, and for a team that isn't exactly what you call tournament winning, or a high ladder team. If you wanted to win with a steel team at the top level, the steel balance structure is right there. But I've had a lot of fun with this team and I wanted to share it. I've thought about making this post for a while and I wanted to showcase this underrated idea. So take the team, customize it to your liking, and just have fun.
This has been my rendition of steel HO: a concept.
Next team I'll post here will probably be a lot shorter since it's something people are more familiar with.

Posting these to revive a bit the thread :3
Here is the water team i used for the Core Laddering Challenge (W1) where the core was MSlowbro + Fini
https://pokepast.es/3626217a21c44224
The team isn't built too great but it kinda works in ladder and Fini + MSlowbro do an amazing work together.
The team kinda autoloses to grass and u have to play carefully arround sun, but besides those 2 MU's the rest should be pretty easy to beat. Psyshock>Psychic on MSlowbro can be a thing and also a Mirror Coat + Rindo Swampert might be used to suprend things like MChari-Y or EBall users, but I think it's too gimmickly to use it in ladder. Toxapex could also be putted on to help with the Grass MU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)