Tournament National Dex Invitational - Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
Hello, and welcome to the first National Dex Invitational. The participants of this tournament have been recognised for their skill and knowledge in the metagame and therefore will battle amongst each other to determine a winner! These participants were chosen by the forum mods, experienced users who have seen talented users come and go.

Specific Rules
  • This is a standard National Dex OU tournament
  • The format for this tournament is best of three
  • Changing teams between matches is allowed
  • All matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown!
  • Replays are REQUIRED!!!
  • Any tier changes that occur during a round will not be in effect until the following round
Please read the general tournament rules provided in this link: Rules

All standard clauses apply:
  • Sleep Clause: If a player has already put an opposing Pokémon to sleep using a sleep inducing move and that Pokémon is still sleeping due to that sleep inducing move, the player cannot put another opposing Pokémon to sleep using a sleep inducing move.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same species of Pokémon on their team, based on the National Pokedex Number. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
  • Evasion Clause: Players cannot use Double Team or Minimize in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • Timer Clause: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Any moveset on any pokemon that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle is banned from competitive play.

1659971713102.png
ChrisPBacon vs crying
1659971859636.png

Game 1 / Game 2 / Game 3
1659971744022.png
peap  vs  Kyo
1659971759977.png

Game 1 / Game 2 / Game 3
(Winner of
1659971888394.png
ez  vs Ryuji-Sempai
1659971915584.png

Game 1 / Game 2 / Game 3
1659971949603.png
astralydia  vs  adem
1659971935112.png

Game 1 / Game 2 / Game 3

Deadline is Sunday 14th August!

Last edited:
Chris vs Kate vs crying - honestly can’t choose a winner in either games. Crying has mastered the form of consistency; typically I’d say the same for Kate but I haven’t seen much OU activity since ndwc.
Chris has certainly been shaking up the scene with his creative / powerful builds and strong play to back it up.

Peap vs Kyo - highlight game for sure. Both players will no doubt bring interesting off meta picks. They have been around forever but Peap has shown more consistency regarding natdex officials. Best of luck peap : )

ryuji vs Bacon vs ez - yeah I don’t wanna predict anything yet here. I think EZ will have to pilot other teams in order to get past bacon + Ryuji, which no doubt he has the capability for. All games should be good ones

astralydia vs adem - astralydia’s teams have been very interesting lately. I think they are both ahead and behind the current meta in terms of compression. He takes a little bit if this and that and puts it all together into a boiling pot of offensive defense. His plays are strong and preps well.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 11-54-48 Showdown!.png

This for sure is the universe trying to tell me something
Any press for this tour is good press right?

ChrisPBacon vs Crying - Very interesting matchup. I thought Chris prepped very well in our series while still bringing structures he's comfortable with, and in terms of his gameplay, he's not a player you can easily surprise. His bulkier team structures and his cautious gameplay make it difficult to surprise him with shock-value cheese in the builder, and I think that will play in his favor here. That being said, Crying is one of the most difficult opponents to prep for in this tier given the creativity of her builds and her ability to pilot seemingly anything into a winning position. Games against Crying are never over until they're over because if there's even some remote path to victory, she always manages to find it. Both of them stay composed in longer games and know when to be aggressive versus when to be cautious. At the end of the day I think Chris is just more motivated, but Crying winning the whole tournament wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Peap vs Kyo - Two great players that are probably most-known for their creativity in the builder. Against peap, I think bringing slower-paced teams that are constantly reacting to the opponent is a recipe for disaster. That factor favors peap if Kyo reverts to one of his known fat-balance teams as a comfort pick. Kyo's offensive teams can be dangerous though, and he is great at piloting unviable options into positions where they can shine. I think peap is pulling up with some demonic sauce this series so maybe the slight edge goes to him, but it should be an even series nonetheless.

Ez / Bacon vs Ryuji - Personally, I want Crying vs Ez to be the finals of this tour. But life is unfair and emotional decisions are dangerous. Having accepted this, I think Bacon pulls out the series against Ez with superior prep and edges out Ryuji in 3 tight games. I do think some of Ryuji's more offensive structures have a great matchup vs Bacon's comfort picks, though, so let's see how far both are willing to go outside their comfort zone.

Astralydia vs Adem - For similar reasons in Lydia's last series, I think they have a great read on what they need to do during games to get to the finish line, and I agree with the assessment above that their teams usually strike a good balance of offense/defense to let them outplay most scenarios during games. My gut tells me the more aggressive player will win this serious though, and I know Adem pilots more offensive structures well, so who knows. Another 50/50 type of game.
Hope everyone I picked against wins effortlessly and throws it in my face and I go 0-4 on predicts :psysly:

ChrisPBacon vs crying - Depends on if crying cares about this tour when shes got Slam finals to do.

peap  vs  Kyo - I like peap's building more and hes generally good at executing them.

( ez  vs baconeatinassassin ) vs  Ryuji-Sempai - I think the winner the R1 will take this since I haven't watched ND games since NDWC but Ryuji probably cares more about the Tournament than them so I'm probably wrong here.

EDIT: I think bacon wins but like 51% because ez is also one the better players of this format right now.

astralydia  vs  adem - I'm not sure how I feel about adem being considered in the top 16 ND players but he could beat chazm since hes not as active as he was in 2020. But considering hes the most winning ND player ever he probably takes this.

Also on a side note I think the fact that people are missing games or bringing meme teams says a lot about how uninteresting this tour has been. Should of had a cash prize : (

Last edited:

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
Re; ez vs Ryuji-Sempai

Because both players failed to provide replays for their games, the game will have to be replayed. Whilst Ryuji does not dispute's ez's win, this tournament requires replays, and if they are unable to be provided, then the win will be classed as void.

tl;dr
ez and Ryuji-Sempai will have until Wednesday to replay their games.

Flips:
Kyo vs peap

1660568767933.png
[/USER]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)