Resource National Dex Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
approved by the National Dex Moderation Team
OP largely stole them this and some of
this
National Dex Heat

Welcome to the National Dex Heat thread! This thread will be used to share effective yet non-standard sets for viable Pokemon in National Dex OU. I want to go over some guidelines for posting sets in this thread:

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.
  • It is able to successfully and consistently lure intended threats.
What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and exploit Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
What are some things that constitute a gimmick?
  • Movesets that are highly inconsistent, flat out impractical or is completely outclassed by another Pokemon.
  • Sets used on Pokemon that are completely unviable in the National Dex landscape.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
Thread Rules:
  • I think it goes without saying but please don't post gimmicks, joke or troll sets for the sake of it, as all it will do is derail the thread.
  • Explain what the set does, and what it accomplishes so people can get an understanding of it in the context of the metagame.
  • I highly recommend posting replays that are not low ladder to prove your case, it isn't required but recommended if you want to successfully reflect the niche of the set you're posting.
  • Happy posting!

Last edited by a moderator:
sableye-mega.gif

The Calm Mind set of Mega Sableye, which is this: https://pokepast.es/bc85b018e4623078, is super underrated and I am going to explain why it is.

This set is here to burn every (physical) Pokemon that can be burned, set up some Calm Minds and sweep the whole opponents team. With its great physical bulk and Will-O-Wisp, it can easily defeat the most physical attackers like Landorus, Scizor, and Garchomp for example. But it also can use Calm Mind against the most special attackers that can't hit too hard like Mega Latias and Moltres. After using a free Calm Mind, Scarf Tapu koko can't 2HKO it anymore, which is great for Sableye, because it can just spam Calm Mind and Recover until it has an big enough boost so that it can kill the whole team. Mega Sableye is a pokemon that can turn into a monster if you are using the right move in the right moment.

This Replay shows how crazy Mega Sableye can be if you missclick or missplay against it: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1241797331-jt7sx02e0w5u2hdyjuzaoo6btvzmg8gpw

And now I am going to call a few reasons why it is underated.
• It can defeat over 90% of all physical attackers that can be burned, and we all know that there are a lot. Even if it can't burn the opponent, it still tanks extremely good on the physical side and the opponents pokemon has to be a set up sweeper, or a wallbreaker like Darmanitan for example.
• If it has used one free Calm Mind, a lot of Special attackers like non Specs Tapu koko, Greninja, Tapu Fini and non Unaware Clefable can NOT 2HKO it anymore, which means that Sableye can spam Calm Mind and Recover and sweep.
• It is by far the best Pokemon against Mega Latias, which is very dangerous, since it got Mystical Fire and Aura Sphere, because it can hit Tyranitar and Weavile very hard. Mega Sableye can easily set up against it, because Latias mostly runs Psyshock and Aura Sphere as offensive moves. Even if Latias has something against Sableye, it does by far too less damage.
• The fact that Cinderace stays in national dex ou helps Sableye a lot, because Cinderace can easily kick away the most fairy types with Gunk shot or Pyro Ball and U turn out and bringing in Sableye in the right moment.
• The Spectrier suspect test helps Sableye a little bit, because any Nasty Plot set will easily destroy Sableye, which isn't a big problem after all, if it gets banned which is very likely. The same goes for Magearna.

I hope I could explain good enough why it is underated in this metagame. Thanks for reading. :blobthumbsup:

adem

yap
is a Tutoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello all, today I am going to talk about a set which probably isnt as creative as some of the others, but in my opinion is a very underrated set in the Natdex Metagame right now.

Scarf Magearna

:ss/magearna:

The set in question.

This set, like all mag set variants (set up, av, choiced) abuses mags variety of coverage to threaten different mons effectively. Magearna being one of my favourite mons, also is probably one of the best mons in Natdex, and has been since last gen also. This is mainly due to its great bulk, typing, offensive stats and movepool. This Mage set can use the FleurFocus, BoltBeam and other combinations of offensive coverage.

So why I think this set is underrated?
  • Due to its amazing coverage, its hard to switch into it easily unless your name is blissey, chansey or glowbro, and even then, Its a hard choice for the blissey/chansey/glowbro user to swap in due to choiced magearna sets running trick to cripple them hard.
  • I have a affinity for this set compared to its choice specs set for its ability to sweep late game with its increased speed tier with scarf, coupled with its ability to help it snowball weakened teams easily compared to its specs set.
  • I also love this sets ability to revenge kill faster mons such as mega latias and even the fire bunny himself.
  • This set also abuses mags ability to bluff multiple sets, and can confused and trick the opponent into thinking that this is a choice specs/defensive pivot set.
  • Furthermore, I feel like this set can fit really well on faster offenses, where its better speed tier and and revenge killing capabilities are more appreciated compared to a choice speced mage wall busting capabilities.
  • Lastly, this mage set has really thrived in this spec meta, where darks like spdef drei and ttar are everywhere, but even after the horse’s hopefully inevitable ban, this set will still thrive and abuse offensive teams, freely pivoting around, and fleur/beaming the grounds that threaten to voltblock.

Sadly I cant find any replays of me using, but if i do get some ill be sure to add em on <3 Hope yall realise the HEAT that is scarf mag.
Love to my boy TheWeirdGastrodon for reminding me about this lmao.

Last edited:

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
SPDEF Taunt Hydreigon

:ss/Hydreigon:

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost
- Earth Power

So if you've been playing Natdex for the past few months or so, you've probably run into the Spdef Hydreigon set with Snarl that's specifically tailored to take on Spectrier. While that set is good in the current metagame for its ability to take on the horse, Ash Greninja and Heatran and even provide Defog support, it is unfortunately hampered by a crippling passivity that opens it up to being exploited by prominent metagame threats. As such, a few weeks ago, I wanted to see if I could find a way to keep the defensive utility of normal Spdef Hydreigon while also making it far less passive, and that's when I came up with the idea for this set.

SET DETAILS:

The spread and moveset sacrifices the ability to completely beat sub Spectrier sets, although it can still cleanly handle even the strongest moves from Specs sets.

252 SpA Choice Specs Spectrier Hex (130 BP) vs. 248 HP / 172+ SpD Hydreigon: 144-169 (37.2 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and burn damage (It still falls over to +2 130BP Hex and +2 Normalium sets but it would still have these problems regardless of set)

In terms of the specifics of the spread and the set itself, I opted to go Dark Pulse > Snarl since Dark Pulse actually has a solid damage output unlike Snarl, and since the goal was to reduce passivity, this was an obvious choice to make. As such, since Snarl was off the table, I could remove the 44 SpA Evs it needed with Snarl and move them to Spdef, increasing its bulk there by a substantial amount. And of course, 88 Speed is still here to outspeed Heatran

However, where the set really shines is in the addition of Taunt over Defog, which lets it effectively shuts down Pokemon that would otherwise set up or even heal on it, and in doing so, not only doubles, if not outright triples the amount of Pokemon that this set can beat, which includes but is far from limited to: Body Press-less Ferrothorn (P-whip Knock variants just fall over), Toxapex, Zapdos, (watch out for Discharge paras), Gliscor, Gleamless Tapu Koko, Slowbro (Snarl didn't do enough before and you can actually stop it from Teleporting on you), and even Zard-Y lacking Focus Blast.

Why it's underrated:

I think this set is underrated because, while Spdef Hydreigon is a common pick in this metagame, if the horse leaves (which it may in a few days), Spdef Hydreigon will likely fall off substantially in usage, since the main thing it checked got banned. I think that a set like this, which can take advantage of other prominent metagame threats, can continue to do well and even thrive in a post-horse metagame.

Of course, all these words without some actual evidence is meaningless, and as such, I have three replays I'd like to show off that demonstrate this set's viability

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1248629356-7fn6qvcymefhzxkgy8u2u78fa8r1sydpw - Hydreigon continually prevents Blissey from freely clicking Teleport for most of the game, and thanks to getting burnt, my opponent forfeits since they have no effective way of killing it off.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1248634184-izpcqj5uu9d341orarp3c9v0e8h02bhpw - Hydreigon turns what is basically an untenable situation into a dominant win, not only tanking Z-Koko, but also helping to shut down the Ferrothorn long term

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1248639239-t5gpnzhns95natv62t4u2zokhsy428apw - By endgame, Taunt Hydra manages to shutdown any counterplay the opponent could have possibly had for normal Spdef Hydra and forces the opponent to forfeit

Conclusion:

I hope that this post has convinced you of the merits that Spdef Taunt Hydreigon holds not only in this current meta, but of the merits it could hold in potential future metas, taking a set known for being very passive and making it into something very proactive that abuses the passive Pokemon that once exploited it.

As always, thank you all for reading!

Byleth

Retirement
This is a good thread with a lot of potential and I don't want it to go to waste, so to bump here's a cool twist utilizing Mew.

:ss/mew:
Mew @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Body Press
- Spikes
- Roost

(please do not pester me about the puny cosmic power set)
Overview:

The idea with this set is to lure dark types like Greninja, Mega Tyranitar, Tyranitar, Weavile, and Bisharp. But unlike Will-o-Wisp, you are immediately and assuredly punishing them for it. Often, these mons can also play mindgames with Mew (Weavile + Heatran for example), but this usually shuts that down by punishing Heatran on the switch as well.

Set Details:

The given EV spread aims to maximize Mew's physical bulk and ensure a 2HKO on even extremely fat Mega Ttars, while straight up OHKO'ing Bisharp and outspeeding standard Gliscor. Creeping speed EVs to outpace faster Gliscors is perfectly fine. Colbur allows Mew to stay in on dark types safely like Weavile and Bisharp, OHKO'ing them in the process with the 2HKO on TTar.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 180+ Def Colbur Berry Mew: 169-199 (41.8 - 49.2%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage
180+ Def Mew Body Press vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 280-332 (79.7 - 94.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (TTar either can't come back in at all or is OHKO'd after rocks)
180+ Def Mew Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 212-252 (52.4 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Fattest Mega TTar)
180+ Def Mew Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 300-356 (110.7 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ Def Mew Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 428-508 (152.3 - 180.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ Def Mew Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 144-170 (37.3 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Good Chip)
180+ Def Mew Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 144-170 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
180+ Def Mew Body Press vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 166-196 (50.7 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Can't switch in and beat you properly + guaranteed 2HKO over Ice Beam)
180+ Def Mew Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 208-246 (72.9 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (No free switchin)

Why Run This?:

Relying on Will-O-Wisp to check physical dark types is a tad risky, and Body Press is a consistent way to deal with them. It's additionally very beneficial to teams that appreciate these Dark Types immediately weakened or removed, such as Zard Y wanting chip on TTar, or Lando/Chomp/Gliscor needing Weavile lured. It also prevents you from becoming bait for Greninja, which is very much appreciated. This Mew set should be used for compression when you want a Psychic type Spikes setter/ground check over any other Colbur Psychic mon.

Replays:

In the first game, I was able to lure Mega Tyranitar turn one (unfortunate defense drop), which limited how much it was able to come back in to force Stealth Rocks up against my team, freeing Zard Y to come in whenever and shutting down TTar's switchin opportunities as a midground and for Excadrill to capitalize off of. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1408543077-cktow96mz9rbl2v53ok0108opeq11flpw

In the second game, I was able to lure Weavile with a weakened Mew, which would have opened up my Ground types a lot more if it were not for a certain unviable Mega... https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1408554945

Fin:

I think that Body Press is a very good alternative to a prior filler spot for Mew, as it checks a lot of the things that it wants to, but better. Mew in general is a very under developed mon in this metagame, so I hope to aspire more people to at least try/give it a chance, or else it will be your dark type dying to Body Press.

Hello natdex people, today I am going to talk about a set that in my opinion is a heat set in the Natdex Metagame right now.

:sm/serperior:
Serperior @ Waterium Z
Level: 100
Hasty Nature
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Aqua Tail
- Glare

Why should use this set?
The main point of this set is to lure heatran and still keep hp fire because usually when people want to lure heatran using serperior, they will be using hp ground which mean you cant use hp fire anymore. This set also get benefit from intimidate landorus. You also can get some good damage on fire type in the tier such as volcarona,victini, blaziken and blacephalon. You can use this set in hyper offense team and bulky offense team.

Important calc
No intimidate :
56 Atk Serperior Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 104-124 (26.9 - 32.1%) -- 43.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
56 Atk Serperior Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 204-240 (52.8 - 62.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

After intimidate :
+1 56 Atk Serperior Hydro Vortex (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 304-358 (78.7 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 56 Atk Serperior Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 158-186 (40.9 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hi, im gonna to mention 2 set of rocker garchomp :garchomp: that i think are underrated in current meta.

1.TANK CHOMP
:ss/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon tail
- Draco meteor/Fire blast/Endure

This set is basically Oras garchomp set. Since mega Lopunny is the most used mega in NDPL and for good reason. It's answers are limited. This garchomp set can take advantage of that. Rocky helmet and rough skin does 30% damage to physical contact so physical attacker gonna think twice before clicking move. This set also can punish weavile triple axel funnily enough lol.

2. MOMENTUM GARCHOMP
:ss/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Eject Pack
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock

You should pair this set with magnezone to trap corvknight. Click draco meteor on corvknight , profit.

Last edited:
I will be sharing 2 smack down lando sets.
:SM/Landorus_Therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Smack Down
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
This one keeps lando as an option throughout the game as a helmet abuser while still punishing mons such as corv for defogging. It's incredibly useful and helps keep hazards up.

:SM/Landorus_Therian:
garb (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 108 HP / 188 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Smack Down

This one I found in a how to lure thread s/o Mario34 , but it has done wonders on a few teams that I have. It not only gets up rocks on corv, but also punishes virtually any switch in after corv has been smack downed. (Ig: tang, rilla,)
named garb after a battle where me and my friend used it on ladder
1638515380360.png

Last edited:
:SM/Manaphy:

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Psychic/Energy Ball/Ice Beam

This set is so flexible, serving both as a great wincon for HO and an incredibly reliable wallbreaker. Manaphy's great 100/100/100 bulk combined with screens support means, even w/o investment, it's completely possible to set up w/ glow then z-dance. If that happens, your opponent is just ded unless they have a scarfed grass/electric/regieleki (which you should've already taken care of before setting up like that, and the first two must be timid/jolly with over 100 speed)

Also y'all are welcome for reviving this chat

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1619526110 (1 replay so far, will get more eventually)

EDIT: nvm this is all you get

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)