Resource National Dex Good Cores - Updated 5/14/23

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
National Dex Good Cores

approved by NatDex Forum Mods
banner by TBD | Format (stolen) from
SS OU Good Cores Thread

A strong core is one of the single most valuable things to form when creating a new team. Cores are typically made up of a group of Pokémon that, when used together, work excellently toward accomplishing a specific goal, and any good player uses them, intentionally or not. The majority of cores have varying characteristics that allow them to triumph in different areas, and depending on your team, cores can be built to succeed offensively or defensively. An offensive core is a group of Pokémon that are both focused towards and designed to enable the team to break through most other team styles while being balanced for general play. A defensive core is a group of Pokémon chosen to give a team a solid set of resistances and the ability to switch into many of the common and threatening attacks in the metagame, allowing it to stick around long enough to win the match. Overall, cores function as a fantastic base or starting point for a wide range of teams and they are commonly used while teambuilding to achieve a specific goal.

:iron-valiant: Posting Guidelines
  • Any person can post a core in this thread. The cores are broken down into four categories: offensive cores, balanced cores, defensive cores, and weather cores. When posting your core, please make sure to state which one of these categories your core falls under.
  • Although the way your core works may be obvious to you, this may not be the case for others. As such, when posting a core, please make sure to explain how the core operates and any other details you think are important to include. The explanations don't have to be essays; as long as your post has some substance and conveys the main idea behind the core, it's all good. Here are some things you may like to include when explaining your core:
    • Offensive Core: Should your core be an offensive one, such as Tapu Lele + Kartana, you could explain how those two Pokemon work together to break down their similar checks and any other synergistic traits. You could also mention any weaknesses the core has and any partners you believe work well with the core.
      • Here is a good example of what we look for taken from the ORAS iteration.
    • Defensive Core: Should your core be defensive, such as Hippowdon + Skarmory, you could explain their typing synergy allows them to cover problematic Pokemon for one another, or any other synergistic attributes you feel are relevant. You could also mention any weaknesses the core has and any partners you believe work well with the core.
  • This goes without saying, but do make sure your post includes the sets your core is using. In addition, please try to include an explanation of any EV spreads deviating from the standard 252 / 252. Replays are also very helpful and highly encouraged when posting cores.
  • Please do not post a core that has more than 3 Pokemon because cores bigger than this can restrict building immensely.
  • Please be respectful of the cores people post in this thread. If someone posts a core that you think is ineffective or just plain bad, there is no need to jump at their throats. With that said, constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged - simply be nice!
:tapu-koko: Core Selection Process
  • I will carefully monitor the cores posted in this thread. When the time comes, I will look at the posted cores and decide which ones will be featured in the archive.
  • While the selection of good cores can often be subjective, I will take into consideration a variety of aspects before deciding which cores are featured in the archive. This includes quality of explanation, effectiveness of the core in the current metagame, and so on. I will carefully discuss everything and seek feedback from others to ensure the selected cores are of high quality.
  • When I decide which cores will be featured in the archive, I will try to announce them and provide brief explanations behind why certain cores were selected and why certain cores weren't. This feedback can potentially help give people a clearer picture of what we are looking for.
  • If a core is originally rejected from the archive, I can definitely provide some tips on how a set or spread can be tweaked so the core meets the standards we look for.
  • Just like with anyone else who posts a core, please feel free to bring up any concerns you might have with our posts and/or the cores we select! However, please be sure to be polite, and if it is a simple question/concern, we'd prefer it being directed to us in a PM.
Submissions are very, very appreciated right now; please send any you think would be good!

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Offensive Cores
These cores are ones that feature offensively pressuring towards opponents, often being built around initially.
In progress of a massive update!

Balanced / Defensive Cores
These cores often are used to balance out a team, or to provide a solid defensive backbone to be built around / added to one.
In progress of a massive update!

2/20/23 - Espathra banned
:tapu-koko: :cyclizar: :espathra:
Tapu Koko + Cyclizar + Espathra

4/3/23 - Revamp

Offensive Cores

Balanced / Defensive Cores

5/14/23 - Walking Wake, Shed Tail, and Annihilape banned

:dragonite: :cyclizar:
Dragonite + Cyclizar

:charizard-mega-y: :great-tusk: :walking-wake:
Mega Charizard Y + Great Tusk + Walking Wake

:walking-wake: :victini:
Walking Wake + Victini

:tapu-koko: :cyclizar:
Tapu Koko + Cyclizar + HO Abusers

:annihilape: :tapu-lele:
Annihilape + Tapu Lele

11/4/23 - A lot of metagame development happened

Last edited:
Offensive Core:
Zama + Lele
Who can take a Future Sight + Tera Fighting Close Combat? (okay gholdengo and other ghost types can, but that's what crunch is for) Would be AV lele but I'm too lazy to explain that + scarfed lele is good overall so ye.

Will def add more cores soon mostly cuz it's too late now.

Balance Core:
Mega Lopunny and Gholdengo

Gholdengo covers all of Mega Lopunny's weaknesses and Mega Lopunny covers two of Gholdengo's weaknesses.
Gholdengo pressures defensive Pokemon while Mega Lopunny is strong against offensive ones.
Both Pokemon resist Stealth Rock while Gholdengo is completely immune to status moves.
Nothing is immune to Mega Lopunny's attacks bar tera Ghost, Neutralizing Gas Weezing.
Mega Lopunny's Fake Out and U-Turn provide chip for Gholdengo.
Mega Lopunny can sponge Knock Off due to its Dark-type resistance and Mega Stone.

I call it this a balance core because while Mega Lopunny is expected to attack every turn, Gholdengo can use select opportunities to Recover.
Trick is required because it ruins defensive Pokemon, while specs is preferred because it gives Gholdengo bite with Shadow Ball/MIR while crippling physical attackers.
Two attacking moves are required in case of Tricking on an Assault Vest.

It's a high-floor, high ceiling duo: newbies can just ride on Gholdengo's defenses, while experts can exploit Mega Lopunny's typing to create favorable matchups.

hidin

What a kind young man
Revamp!
The list of cores has now been expanded, featuring over 50 cores that you can use to aid you with teambuilding. I hope you enjoy utilizing this resource! If you feel like some other cores should be added, be sure to submit them in this thread!

Balance trick room core:
:ursaluna: :Slowking:
https://pokepast.es/0978d45c475f68b7
With trick room and teleport Slowking realy helps ursaluna to get in the game and start hammering away at the opponent with boosted flame orb guts facades explecialy with tera added vs offensive team on wile Slowking has a lot of longevity with Regenerator slack off and Heavy-Duty Boots to support it during a game
Alternative moves:

Slowking can swap scald for future sight to support other team members u might have if u wana use this core on a non full trick room team

Ursaluna can swap fire punch for all the other covreg moves u might want like close combat crunch or ice punch

EDIT: Ursaluna got ban so it no longer works

Last edited:
National Dex Good Cores

approved by NatDex Forum Mods
banner by TBD | Format (stolen) from
SS OU Good Cores Thread

A strong core is one of the single most valuable things to form when creating a new team. Cores are typically made up of a group of Pokémon that, when used together, work excellently toward accomplishing a specific goal, and any good player uses them, intentionally or not. The majority of cores have varying characteristics that allow them to triumph in different areas, and depending on your team, cores can be built to succeed offensively or defensively. An offensive core is a group of Pokémon that are both focused towards and designed to enable the team to break through most other team styles while being balanced for general play. A defensive core is a group of Pokémon chosen to give a team a solid set of resistances and the ability to switch into many of the common and threatening attacks in the metagame, allowing it to stick around long enough to win the match. Overall, cores function as a fantastic base or starting point for a wide range of teams and they are commonly used while teambuilding to achieve a specific goal.

:iron-valiant: Posting Guidelines
  • Any person can post a core in this thread. The cores are broken down into four categories: offensive cores, balanced cores, defensive cores, and weather cores. When posting your core, please make sure to state which one of these categories your core falls under.
  • Although the way your core works may be obvious to you, this may not be the case for others. As such, when posting a core, please make sure to explain how the core operates and any other details you think are important to include. The explanations don't have to be essays; as long as your post has some substance and conveys the main idea behind the core, it's all good. Here are some things you may like to include when explaining your core:
    • Offensive Core: Should your core be an offensive one, such as Tapu Lele + Kartana, you could explain how those two Pokemon work together to break down their similar checks and any other synergistic traits. You could also mention any weaknesses the core has and any partners you believe work well with the core.
    • Defensive Core: Should your core be defensive, such as Hippowdon + Skarmory, you could explain their typing synergy allows them to cover problematic Pokemon for one another, or any other synergistic attributes you feel are relevant. You could also mention any weaknesses the core has and any partners you believe work well with the core.
  • This goes without saying, but do make sure your post includes the sets your core is using. In addition, please try to include an explanation of any EV spreads deviating from the standard 252 / 252. Replays are also very helpful and highly encouraged when posting cores.
  • Please do not post a core that has more than 3 Pokemon because cores bigger than this can restrict building immensely.
  • Please be respectful of the cores people post in this thread. If someone posts a core that you think is ineffective or just plain bad, there is no need to jump at their throats. With that said, constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged - simply be nice!
:tapu-koko: Core Selection Process
  • I will carefully monitor the cores posted in this thread. When the time comes, I will look at the posted cores and decide which ones will be featured in the archive.
  • While the selection of good cores can often be subjective, I will take into consideration a variety of aspects before deciding which cores are featured in the archive. This includes quality of explanation, effectiveness of the core in the current metagame, and so on. I will carefully discuss everything and seek feedback from others to ensure the selected cores are of high quality.
  • When I decide which cores will be featured in the archive, I will try to announce them and provide brief explanations behind why certain cores were selected and why certain cores weren't. This feedback can potentially help give people a clearer picture of what we are looking for.
  • If a core is originally rejected from the archive, I can definitely provide some tips on how a set or spread can be tweaked so the core meets the standards we look for.
  • Just like with anyone else who posts a core, please feel free to bring up any concerns you might have with our posts and/or the cores we select! However, please be sure to be polite, and if it is a simple question/concern, we'd prefer it being directed to us in a PM.
Submissions are very, very appreciated right now; please send any you think would be good!
Ok ok i'm nervous and Idk if this is a GOOD core, but here we go. (Pls don't give it to break this core, laddering will be hell if you do) anyways.

mr beast boost (Kartana) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

sailor moon (Cresselia) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 120 HP / 132 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Stored Power

This core revolves around Cresselia tanking out and setting up on offensive threats to SD Kart, such as Mega Lopunny, Zama and Iron Valiant. Kartana simultaneously breaks through the special walls and physical attackers that can deal with Cresselia, with Sacred sword to hit dark types and of course, Kingambit. Cresselia can also beat special attackers which may tank a hit from Kartana and make it die instantly (Kart has literally NO special defense), and this can help break offensive teams down.

I think a good core for more balanced teams is Baxcalibur+Slowking-Galar+Buzzwole. Bax's Dragon Dance sets are great matchwinners for balance teams, though revenge killers such as Booster Valiant, Tera Dark Kingambit, Scarf Lele, and Mega Scizor can serve a problem for it. Glowking is able to check any revenge killing Fairy type thrown at Bax, and in addition Future Sight and Chilly Reception support deters switch-ins like Valiant and gives Bax passive recovery if running Ice Body. Physical checks are shut down rather easily by Buzzwole, who's great defensive profile and typing allow it to take on the two mentioned physical checks to Bax with ease. Buzzwole synergises well with Glowking because Buzzwole is able to switch into threatening moves like Knock Off and Earthquake directed towards Glowking, while Glowking is able to switch comfortably into the Psychics, Moonblasts, and Flamethrowers directed at Buzzwole. In addition, these two defensive mons are able to reliably check the Pokemon they are meant to multiple times in a game without being worn down (Buzzwole's Roost and Glowking's Regenerator), meaning that they are always available to deal with the checks to Bax and let it DDance for the win.

My Standard Core: https://pokepast.es/e8c59a2f80988f22

:weavile: :iron-valiant:

https://pokepast.es/a64b39003918433a

weavile compliments val rlly well killing pretty much everything that walls val with some being slowking-g (gets pursuit trapped or knock offed), aegislash (gets knocked) and av iron crown also gets knock offed overall i think this is one of the best offensive cores in the game and can carry teams on its backs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)