Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpA / 28 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Pursuit
- Charm

Umbreon is a really good mon that is widely overlooked for pursuit tar or houndoom. I have been using Umbreon on every single team for a month, and I have found some niche uses that are not well known, or maybe they are but are not mentioned in the Smogon Dex. I can't remember what these evs do, they could be improved, I got them from Disaster Area a long time ago. I don't think I am good at mons or that this set is the best, I just wanted to share it for the 2 people that asked me about it.

Umbreon is really good at chipping Gengar, and can usually beat it 1v1, but is not solid as a team's only check to Gengar. Trapping Gengar means Umbreon will catch a lot Will O Wisps, which will Synchronize and can cripple Gengar. Running Heal Bell with Umbreon makes it live a lot longer and it is really useful to spread status this way. Another thing Umbreon does that the other Pursuit trappers cant, is that it traps and chips Claydol, Starmie, and Cloyster giving a team an easier time keeping spikes down, even without a spin-blocker. Umbreon is great on both sides of the Spikes war by helping your spinner remove the ghost, and by harassing all the main spinners except Forretress. With Cloyster and Claydol you have charm/wish/protect to help with eq/boom and you force damage if they decide to spin, quite often baiting a boom from either. Chipping Gengar, Starmie, Claydol, Cloyster, also makes Umbreon a really good partner for Gyarados and Flygon perhaps setting them up to sweep.

A team's counters to Umbreon are often physical attackers, Charm makes it so Umbreon beats Curse Lax and Dragon Dance users 1v1. Charm also forces choice banders not named Metagross coming in, to have to immediately switch giving you opportunities to use Pursuit. This set is extremely passive and fails to punish switch-ins like Metagross, Blissey, Zapdos and other special attackers, especially if they have substitute. This can be mitigated by using wish passing to cushion forced switches, and also having passive damage like spikes, sand, or even slapping Toxic over a move like Protect.

In my opinion Umbreon's abilities complement different team archetypes. It's ability to help vs ghosts and opposing spinners along with its synergy with heal bell makes it a good partner on stall teams. Umbreon also can find a place on physical offense teams with its ability to chip key mons and pass wishes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)