SV OU My first Smogon team please help HO team (1400+ currently)

Hi I have never played smogon singles before so this is my first time but I made this team and got 1400+ with it
I am trying to get better at it and I’ve been having a lot of fun with this team. I am trying to get to 1600 and would
really appreciate suggestions. Like should I replace any Pokémon with a different one should I use different Evs or
different moves etc. That’s all I have to say and now time to show you my team.
Pokepaste - https://pokepast.es/38a736bfb7375b8a
IMG_0603.png

IMG_0597.png

Rillaboom (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn
Rillaboom is a very powerful threat and can revenge kill many powerful threats in the teirwith choice band grassy glide revenge kill. It also has knock off for doing super effective damage on some Pokémon and item removal and slo u-turn for pivoting while wood hammer is just a move for big damage while also taking damage yourself. 99% of the time though this pokemon will just click grassy glide as it is its best move. Grassy terrain can also heal the other Pokémon on this team and Tera grass for even more damage on either grassy glide or wood hammer

IMG_0594.png

Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
Roaring Moon’s job is to be a sweeper and is very good at that. With booster energy making its attack higher with making acrobatics 110 base power along with Tera flying dealing big damage this thing becomes a monster very quickly after one dragon dance along with knock off for stab and item removal and hitting iron boulder and skeliderge hard and earthquake for coverage on Pokémon like kingambit and also a few others. This set might struggle against dondozo and skarmory but the other members can deal with them. (This is also my favorite gen 9 Pokémon)

IMG_0600.png

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Tera Blast

Volcorona is another sweeper do the team. Once this thing gets one quiver dance up and it can sweep entire teams I was thinking of using flamethrower but I decided on fiery dance because I thought the 50% chance for a special attack boost was worth it. Bug buzz for hard hitting bug stab and to hit through substitute and tera balst ground to hit Pokémon like Skeliderge, Raging bolt, Gouging fire, Archaludon, etc and heavy duty boots for it not to take 50% from stealth rocks
IMG_0596.png

Kingambit (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 170 HP / 252 Atk / 86 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
Kingambit is a very good for countering very bulky Pokémon that the other team members can’t like dondozo, clodsire, clefable, garganacal, etc and is also very good if your other 5 Pokémon on the the team are gone because it can sweep with supreme overlord. With powerful sucker punch priority if your opponent is attacking low kick for Pokémon who weigh a lot like dondozo or other kingambits and iron head for stab steel move hitting Pokémon like clefable. Tera fighting for even more powerful low kicks and just in case the opponent is using a super effective move against it. 86 speed evs to out speed clefable and blissey and the rest in attack and hp and also leftovers for recovery and sometimes even more recovery combined with grassy terrain.

IMG_0598.png

Raging Bolt @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderclap
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
This is another Pokémon who can sweep after one tun of setup in the right conditions. Thunderclap for piority if the opponent attacks which is useful for Pokémon who would threaten raging bolt like iron valiant and others dragon pulse for dragon stab and thunderbolt for more electric stab and calm mind for setup. Tera fairy in case they click a supper effective move against you like a dragon type move. I used leftovers for recovery and sometimes even more recovery combined with grassy terrain like what I said with kingambit previously
IMG_0601.png

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
This is our hazard setter and hazard removal of the team. Stealth rock for hazards rapid spin for speed boost and hazard removal knock off for item removal and earthquake for ground type stab attack. This is a bulky great tusk set since it is a stealth rocks one. I used tera water for a defensive tera typing and leftovers recovery and sometimes even more recovery combined with grassy terrain just like I said for raging bolt and kingambit but for this Pokémon another item might be more useful but I just decided on leftovers and it has been working well for me

Replays:
That one prediction saved me
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2025350767
I got so lucky
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2022616782
Roaring moon sweep
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2022633287
Sorry if I played badly with the team still trying to get used the team and to playing smogon. Some of these games have different versions of the team sorry these are the only replays I got I’ll try to get more and also maybe this can also help see if I should bring back some Pokémon I removed

Again I’m still getting used to team building and smogon in general but this team has also gone through many changes but this one has been the best one so far. Also hopefully they won’t ban any or a lot of these Pokémon on the team. Please give me suggestions if you can thank you and happy new year.

Attachments

Last edited:

VicBossMG

MGS enthusiast
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
Team looks fine, can try heavy duty boots or rocky helmet on tusk since you get free lefties from terrain, imo max speed gambit adamant is better for the gambit vs gambit mu but jolly is decent too since alot of pokemon creep him at 200 via skarm and going bulky volc can be nice with morning sun and Tera ground instead of bug buzz 252 Hp n 252 def bold can help well to punish contact moves to burn with flame body

Would something like Terrain Extender Rillaboom be useful at all here and then maybe have Moon hold a grassy seed instead? It would provide a safer set up and with so much insane offense on the team switching Rillaboom up to a slightly more supportive role seems fine to me.

Rillaboom @ Terrain Extender
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Tera Type: Fairy/Grass
Adamant Nature
- Drum Beating/Wood Hammer
- Knock Off/Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Drain Punch

Something like this keeps the same power at your disposal but a little bulkier

Even as it tho squad seems great.

Would something like Terrain Extender Rillaboom be useful at all here and then maybe have Moon hold a grassy seed instead? It would provide a safer set up and with so much insane offense on the team switching Rillaboom up to a slightly more supportive role seems fine to me.

Rillaboom @ Terrain Extender
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Tera Type: Fairy/Grass
Adamant Nature
- Drum Beating/Wood Hammer
- Knock Off/Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Drain Punch

Something like this keeps the same power at your disposal but a little bulkier

Even as it tho squad seems great.
The thing about it is that I’ll lose the attack boost booster energy gives but still good idea I’ll think about it thank you

The thing about it is that I’ll lose the attack boost booster energy gives but still good idea I’ll think about it thank you
hey just a note that earthquake's power is halved by grassy terrain. I'd recommend utilizing Roost over that slot and switching to Grassy Seed as an item, as you become crazy bulky on both sides of the spectrum. For reference, here are some calcs:
252 SpA Glimmora Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roaring Moon: 153-181 (43.5 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Kyurem Icicle Spear (4 hits) vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 296-360 (84.3 - 102.5%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Roaring Moon in Grassy Terrain: 180-212 (51.2 - 60.3%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery (Roost off the damage and it kills itself)
252 Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Ceaseless Edge vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 124-147 (35.3 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Tera Ice Weavile Ice Shard vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 220-260 (62.6 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Kingambit Iron Head vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 130-154 (37 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 228-270 (64.9 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Stone Edge vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 272-322 (77.4 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

as you can see, while you lose sheer power, you gain a huge resistance to revenge killing and the ability to set up on a lot more Pokemon.

hey just a note that earthquake's power is halved by grassy terrain. I'd recommend utilizing Roost over that slot and switching to Grassy Seed as an item, as you become crazy bulky on both sides of the spectrum. For reference, here are some calcs:
252 SpA Glimmora Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roaring Moon: 153-181 (43.5 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Kyurem Icicle Spear (4 hits) vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 296-360 (84.3 - 102.5%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Roaring Moon in Grassy Terrain: 180-212 (51.2 - 60.3%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery (Roost off the damage and it kills itself)
252 Atk Sharpness Samurott-Hisui Ceaseless Edge vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 124-147 (35.3 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Tera Ice Weavile Ice Shard vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 220-260 (62.6 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Kingambit Iron Head vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 130-154 (37 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Dark Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 228-270 (64.9 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Stone Edge vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 272-322 (77.4 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

as you can see, while you lose sheer power, you gain a huge resistance to revenge killing and the ability to set up on a lot more Pokemon.
How did I forget about that thank you I’ve also been using serperior and alolan ninetails instead of rillaboom and I’ve been thinking which one to use more of a defensive roaring moon and rillaboom or serperior with my original roaring moon set or alolan ninetails with aurora veil to get up screens and just have my original roaring moon set and I’m struggling to decide on one.

Last edited:
Hey if your reading this can quick question so I have some new updates for the team and they also have 3 different Pokémon from the original do I just edit this post and make the updates on here or make a new post and make the updates on the new post if anyone can give me an answer that would be great thank you

Hey if your reading this can quick question so I have some new updates for the team and they also have 3 different Pokémon from the original do I just edit this post and make the updates on here or make a new post and make the updates on the new post if anyone can give me an answer that would be great thank you
In the interest of actually getting replies, I'd say you should probably post another team if it's significantly different, but keep in mind that you'll have to wait 1 more day for your week to expire.

In the interest of actually getting replies, I'd say you should probably post another team if it's significantly different, but keep in mind that you'll have to wait 1 more day for your week to expire.
Tysm also thanks for your suggestion or the defensive roaring moon with rillaboom I’ve actually removed rillaboom but I did try your suggestion rillaboom is just not putting in as much work as I hoped it would from the team but still thanks

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)