Metagame Multibility

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

art by sleepyzenCheck out their Twitter!
In this metagame you have the opportunity to give your Pokémon one extra ability, but this comes at a cost. This extra ability can only be placed in the item slot. This means not running Leftovers, Choice items, or Heavy Duty Boots, but in return you could run Regenerator, Adaptability, or Magic Guard.

For example:

:ss/slowbro:
Slowbro @ Shadow Shield
Ability: Regenerator

This Slowbro has both its native Regenerator and Shadow Shield. Both will be active for it from the beginning of the battle and activate under their normal circumstances; Shadow Shield when taking damage at full HP, Regenerator when switching out.

BANLIST:
Pokemon:
Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Cinderace, Darmanitan-Galar, Dialga, Dracovish, Dragonite, Eternatus, Genesect, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kartana, Kyogre, Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Lugia, Lunala, Magearna, Marshadow, Melmetal, Mewtwo, Naganadel, Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Palkia, Pheromosa, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shedinja, Solgaleo, Spectrier, Urshifu-Single-Strike, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zamazenta, Zamazenta-Crowned, Zekrom, Zygarde

Items: King's Rock

Abilities
Restricted:
Comatose, Contrary, Fluffy, Fur Coat, Huge Power, Ice Scales, Illusion, Imposter, Innards Out, Intrepid Sword, Libero, Neutralizing Gas, Parental Bond, Protean, Pure Power, Simple, Speed Boost, Stakeout, Tinted Lens, Unaware, Water Bubble, Wonder Guard
Emergency Exit + Regenerator, Wimp Out + Regenerator

Banned: Arena Trap, Chlorophyll, Magnet Pull, Moody, Power Construct, Sand Rush, Shadow Tag, Slush Rush, Stench, Swift Swim Trace

Restricted abilities can still be used on native users in their base ability slot.

Clauses:
2 Ability Clause: You may use no more than two of any ability. This takes both your standard ability slot and your second, item slot ability into account.

Clauses: Sleep Moves Clause, Species Clause, Nickname Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Moves Clause, Endless Battle Clause

Tiering History:

10/2/2021 - Stench and King's Rock Quickbanned
10/5/2021 - Unaware restricted
10/7/2021 - Sleep Moves Clause implemented (replacing Sleep Clause Mod)
10/11/2021- Tinted Lens restricted; swift swim, chlorophyll, sand rush, slush rush banned

CURRENT WATCHLIST:
Landorus-Incarnate
Regenerator
Triage
Weather

Council:
:drampa: drampa's grandpa
:impidimp: in the hills
:smeargle: Think

FAQs:
Q: How do give my Pokemon its second ability?
A: Click Import / Export then type in the ability name where an item would usually go, including the @ that is used, then click Save.

Q: Can I carry an item at the same time I have a second ability?
A: No you cannot. This is a decision we made to keep the metagame balanced and not a coding limitation, and will not be changing.

Q: How do abilities that are hard-coded to Pokémon such as Stance Change or Gulp Missile work?
A: These abilities work as they usually do when in the main slot. When they are put in the item slot they will work only on their native user, although they are legal on other Pokémon.

Q: Can my abilities be Knocked Off, Tricked, Flung, or otherwise removed by item-specific effects?
A: No, they cannot.

Q: Do abilities stack?
A: No. For example, Regenerator + Regenerator only restores 33%, not 67%.

Q: Where is this metagame playable?
A: Playable on via challenge on the main Pokemon Showdown server

Resources:
The old gen 6 thread

Last edited:
I am so looking forward to getting the blobs on the hitlist - something makes me think they won't last very long, unless this meta really picks up the pace on offense.

I was very excited about setting your own terrain for unburden and then I realized the problem there.

I am predicting that multiscale won't make it very far - having any setup mon get essentially a free turn is a problem - I'm actually surprised it's not autobanned.

Can we use abilities that are in the game but not "in the game", similar to how AAA does it? If so, Pure Power and a bunch of other stuff should get banned.

Edit: forgot how to read

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I am predicting that multiscale won't make it very far - having any setup mon get essentially a free turn is a problem - I'm actually surprised it's not autobanned.
Multiscale users actually won't be able to run boots, so imo there is little chance it becomes that overpowered.

Edit:
Buzzwole seems like a very fun mon already, Beast Boost + Triage seems exceptionally good due to the priority drain punches/Leech Lifes

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Gorilla tactics is basically an unknockable band, which I find quite interesting. I find it interesting how damage boosting abilities are a lot worse in this meta since the damage boosting items are already pretty strong in general. For example, adaptability and tough claws will usually only be worth using over Life Orb if you're only using stab or contact moves.

Magic Guard being basically hdb but also immunity to other form of chip seems dumb, but at least you can't have more than 2 on the same team and you can't abuse Life Orb with it. It still seems very powerful though.

I'd also put weather setting abilities on the watchlist since Swift Swimmers like Kingdra with auto-rain are potentially even more dangerous than something like Pelipper with doubled speed.

Also how would 2 -ate abilities interact? Like what if sylveon had Refrigerate in its item slot as well as Pixilate? Also what about moves like Skill Swap and Gastro Acid? Do they swap/delete both abilities?

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Some comments on our initial banlist:

Our Pokemon banlist is mostly just the standard Uber mons. Landorus-Incarnate is legal, for now. I promise you we will be keeping a very strict eye on it. The metagame powered up significantly from a defensive perspective compared to OU, while Lando-I doesn't have any immediately notable buffs, and will frankly probably be best off running Life Orb. More availability of immunities to its Earth Power and, for the time being, more ways to outspeed and offensively pressure it make it worth a try

We decided to quickban Dragonite, for being an insane setup sweeper, primarily with Aerilate. Magearna has a TON of possible sets, from Tinted Lens to Regenerator to Technician to Sheer Force to... yeah. And all of them have slightly different checks and counters.
Regigigas and Slaking still suck here, because they don't get rid of their crippling abilities.

Most of the abilities restricted are the same ones banned in just about ever ability based OM.
Gorilla Tactics is NOT banned. And neither is Choice Band, if you get my point.
Speed Boost was banned after some discussion found it enabled super sweepers too easily.

Emergency Exit / Wimp Out + Regen are banned specifically to avoid endless turns.

Our watchlist is pretty malleable at the moment.
I anticipate a lot of broken combinations of abilities, but we are striving to avoid complex bans. We will try to zero in on the most broken or most easily removable component. For example:
Weather seems not unlikely to cause issues. It isn't as simple as restricting Swift Swim however, because a ton of mons get it naturally. But is restricting both Drizzle and Primordial Sea the answer, when that takes more out of the metagame? Let's say we want to see what happens.

Let me know if you have questions about anything I didn't cover!
I'm super hyped to play this after so long! I hope y'all enjoy the metagame :psyglad:

First: Multiscale is bad. Use Shadow Shield ;)
Second: Multiscale Shadow Shield + Regenerator is terrifyingly fat. It's on the watchlist and will likely be a defining force in the early weeks. I would like to see whether the offensive threats here are up to breaking through them before making any decisions.

Also how would 2 -ate abilities interact? Like what if sylveon had Refrigerate in its item slot as well as Pixilate? Also what about moves like Skill Swap and Gastro Acid? Do they swap/delete both abilities?
I believe it will prioritize the natural ability. And once it does that it's not Normal anymore, so it won't work for the second ability.

Byleth

Retirement
Well...time to initially experiment then.

:sm/toxapex:
Toxapex @ Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Gastro Acid

Self explanitory.

:ss/Regieleki:
Regieleki @ Refrigerate
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Regieleki gets to threaten grounds WHILE keeping it's transistor ability, which can really making this annoying to switch into without a ground that is neutral to Ice as it's very easy to spam momentum and threaten mons like Lando/Chomp who try to volt block. The 0 speed is based on the idea that less scarfers will be found in this meta, and with 0 speed you outspeed max jolly Zeraora anyway.

:sm/tapu lele:
Tapu Lele @ Tinted Lens
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Psyshock

On paper your only option vs this is offense, really cool breaker and tinted lens as an item absolutely outperforms specs if you are able to smack resists without focus blast.

:sm/Clefable:
Clefable @ Regenerator
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Teleport
- Moonblast

Your wish port mon but with regenerator over passive leftovers recovery, or you can run rocks twave, or cm sheer force with no consequence to having your "life orb" knocked off, or unaware on a fat team + dauntless to really check physical attackers unlike gen 6 where intimidate didnt synergize with unaware...clef is real nice and limited dex'd so get your pixies ready.

Initial take on this meta is rly positive and would love to see it kick into action for gen 8 :)

UT

Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
:sm/toxapex:
Toxapex @ Prankster
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Gastro Acid
First off, I hate it.

Second, does Gastro Acid (and other ability removing things) suppress both abilities, or only the native ability?

:ss/rillaboom::ss/tapu-bulu:

Fur Coat and Fluffy may be banned, but these two can pull off something similar with Grassy Surge + Grass Pelt. Of course, there's still Dauntless Shield for everything else.

:ss/cloyster:
Technician is incredibly powerful on this bivalve, granting it explosive power with its Skill Link attacks as well as Ice Shard priority.

:ss/glastrier::ss/calyrex-ice::ss/calyrex-shadow::ss/spectrier:
Chilling Neigh and Ice Rider As One provide two Moxie clones for if you really want a full Moxie team for some reason, while Grim Neigh and Shadow Rider As One add the option for Special Moxie. Both have to contend with Beast Boost, however. The As One duo is technically superior to their Neigh counterparts due to having a bonus Unnerve effect, but I don't think berries are really going to be all that common in this meta.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
I've been looking forward to this metagame for quite a while and I'm really happy to see it finally release! Here's just some quick ideas I had to start off with.

Aerodactyl @ Aerilate
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Dragon Dance + Aerilate recoil-less Double Edge doesn't sound half bad considering the lack of potent resists that I'm imagining in my head. Just overall a powerfall fast sweeper that abuses the mechanic well, rather than one that comparatively suffers compared to AAA.

Gengar @ No Guard
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Zap Cannon
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis

Whatever the optimal moves are, doesn't matter, generally just a pain in the neck yet again like it is always in any of these ability metagames. Regardless of its main ability being kinda mediocre, No Guard is all it needs to be obnoxious as hell. The benefits it does get from this metagame though are the potential lack of threats that outspeed it, as Choice Scarf users most likely won't be anywhere near as prevalent as they are in regular play. Also benefits from the lack of Poltergeist, I guess?

Heliolisk @ Lightning Rod
Ability: Dry Skin
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Electrify
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice

In practice this may fall short due to its lack of offensive presence, but this paired with hazard stacking, especially in a tier lacking substantial HDB usage, doesn't really sound too bad. Boltund might be a better option due to Heliolisk's lack of initial speed but it really lacks necessary coverage. In addition to this, Boltund really isn't fast enough anyway. Looking forward to trying this out even if it most likely will end up being considered a meme.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
The -ate abilities look like they are going to be insanely strong. Being able to give your Pokemon coverage or reliable STABs on a whim seems incredibly potent, especially in a metagame where we have very polarizing Pokemon like Regieleki that desperately crave coverage or others like Landorus-T or Salamence that lack an actual STAB to work with. To further this, Aerilate, Refrigerate, and Pixilate in of themselves all provide coverage for some fantastic offensive types.

:ss/regieleki:
Regieleki @ Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

This set was posted above by 23Gz and looks horrifying as a mixed wallbreaker. I feel as though Extreme Speed could be replaced with Swift if the user wants to take a more dedicated Special route, but Refrigerate Regieleki, in general, seems very powerful as an offensive pivot and Rapid Spin user.

:ss/salamence:
Salamence @ Aerilate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Roost

Mega Salamence-lite, with flexible moveslots, of course. If Dragonite was banworthy, I could see Salamence as being a pretty solid threat given how similar its kit is to Dragonite.

Going off of my -ate observation, I'd also like to talk about the OU staple that benefits quite a bit from the nature of this metagame: Landorus-T.

:ss/landorus-therian:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Aerilate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / U-turn
- Gravity / Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Body Slam

Landorus-T does Landorus-T things, however, I think Gravity could be nifty if we see use of Skarmory, Celesteela, or Corviknight to make its STABs literally unwallable. With its solid speed tier, great Attack, and access to boosting, it could be a fantastic win condition, flexible wallbreaker, or offensive pivot. Access to Flying-type STAB with a sizeable paralysis chance lets it maintain a presence and freely apply pressure against would-be physical checks.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD (rough spread)
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Defog
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

I feel as though Regenerator could also be a strong option on Landorus-T to provide it with highly desired staying power. It naturally has the unearthly flexibility to work, but is primarily held back by a lack of longevity, which Regenerator wholly solves for it as a pivot. It may be a bit underwhelming in such a powercrept metagame, but its typing defensively and natural access to Intimidate may prove to be fairly important with the potential there is in Physical wallbreakers. I also think Toxic is a necessity so it can actually threaten wallbreakers directly, and deter setup sweepers by putting them on a timer.

Last edited:

UT

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
More theorymoning woo

Venusaur @ Desolate Land
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Weather Ball
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb / Earth Power / Earthquake / Sleep Powder
- Growth

I am fascinated by self-contained weather abusers, and think Venusaur may be the best of the bunch, especially due to its ability to threaten bulkier teams with Growth, access to Weather Ball, and good stats. This set hits 518 speed, has 328 special attack with Growth to boost quickly, and a plethora of good attacking moves highlighted by Weather Ball.

Blissey @ Magic Bounce / Regenerator
Ability: Natural Cure
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Teleport

Blissey now has a much clearer niche over Chansey by being able to run a second ability. Magic Bounce is very welcome on stallier teams, while Regenerator allows Blissey to Teleport more freely on BO teams.

Zapdos-Galar @ Gorilla Tactics / Tough Claws
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Stomping Tantrum

Similar to its Standard form, but now it can run recoilless 110 BP (if this counts as itemless) Flying STAB.
Apparently that's not how Acrobatics will work.

Blacephalon @ Magic Guard
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock / Knock Off
- Calm Mind / Substitute

No recoil Mind Blown is back in another Meta, and if you manage to get one kill, it gets even more powerful.

Noivern @ Aerilate
Ability: Infiltrator / Frisk (would Frisk work on the "item" ability? If so that could be an interesting niche)
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Switcheroo

And so is Aerilate Boomburst.

Talonflame @ Magic Guard
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance / U-Turn
- Roost

Talonflame can now use priority Brave Bird more than one turn in a row, and not worry about Stealth Rock/Sandstorm/Rocky Helmet/etc. breaking Gale Wings unexpectedly. It's still a little weak, and can't switch in safely, but priority is always fun. It can also run Adamant and still outpace 110 base speed mons.

Magnezone @ Turboblaze
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Body Press

I think Steels will be really strong in this meta, and Magnezone can eliminate the majority of them easily, especially with Turboblaze bypassing random Volt Absorbs and Sturdies.

Skarmory @ Teravolt
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird / Body Press
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind / Defog / Iron Head

Speaking of Steels, Skarmory has the niche (along with Mew) of being bulky, having access to recovery, and spikes, meaning it can afford to run Teravolt to set spikes against Magic Bouncers.

Tapu Koko @ Transistor / Adaptability
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost

Tapu Koko can run super strong Thunderbolts, or pretty-strong Thunderbolt and Dazzling Gleam, while avoiding recoil and U-Turning/Roosting freely. This can dance all over slower teams.

Tapu Bulu @ Triage
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge / Darkest Lariat
- Swords Dance

Tapu Bulu gets Triage Horn Leech for the same power as Life Orb thanks to Grassy Terrain, but with no recoil. It's still not getting past Corv, but +3 priority can mess things up.

With so many mons wanting a second ability, I think Choice Scarf will have more of a surprise factor and allow you to get more KOs than expected. Also, how will Trick work against mons with two abilities? Will it fail? If so, that takes away another tool that offense has against stall.

Last edited:

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff

Ferrothorn @ Prankster
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Spikes / Worry Seed
- Gyro Ball

What if Ferrothorn and Whimsicott had a baby?
This should be really annoying to deal without a Magic Guard mon and If Worry Seed does turn both abilities into Insomnia then only Magic Bounce should be able to stop it.

Interesting...
So, if I put Unburden in something it will be auto activated?
And acrobatics is always 110BP?

Not that this will make super breakers, because regen and unaware will be huge, but it's just fun.

UT

Appeals + C&C Lead
Interesting...
So, if I put Unburden in something it will be auto activated?
And acrobatics is always 110BP?

Not that this will make super breakers, because regen and unaware will be huge, but it's just fun.
For Unburden to activate, you need to lose your item, starting itemless doesn't work. So that shouldn't work.

I am curious about Acrobatics' BP, that one could make sense either way.

Also, how does Trick work? Will it fail against a mon with a second ability? If so that really cripples Trick-Scarf mons.

Anyway, this meta looks like more prone to balance/stall

Items are some times better than offensive abilities:

252 Atk Sniper Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow on a critical hit: 174-210 (45.4 - 54.8%) -- approx. 62.1% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Technician Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow on a critical hit: 171-204 (44.6 - 53.2%) -- approx. 20.7% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Adaptability Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow on a critical hit: 159-189 (41.5 - 49.3%) -- approx. 3HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow on a critical hit: 153-183 (39.9 - 47.7%) -- approx. 3HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow on a critical hit: 177-207 (46.2 - 54%) -- approx. 50.4% chance to 2HKO

Choice band looks better than any ability, excepect the banned Water Bubble:

252 Atk Water Bubble Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow on a critical hit: 234-279 (61 - 72.8%) -- approx. 2HKO

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
I am curious about Acrobatics' BP, that one could make sense either way.
Acrobatics should stick to 55 BP. You have something in your item slot

Also
Q: Can my abilities be Knocked Off, Tricked, Flung, or otherwise removed by item-specific effects?
A: No, they cannot.
This should apply to all item-specific effects, including Frisk, Unburden, Poltergeist, etc. If something requires an item it will likely not work.

We won't know about all the edge cases for sure until this meta is coded, so please bear with us if we don't have an answer for every question.

Sets!
First, and most importantly:
:ss/drampa:
Drampa @ Prankster
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast

This boi gets some strong priority! Drampa actually hits pretty hard thanks to its 135 SpA. While I expect terrains of all sorts to be pretty common, messing up this set, it still looks to be a nice revenge killer and late game sweeper.

:ss/landorus:
Landorus (M) @ Aerilate
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

This boi is legal. While it gets no good SF boosted physical Ground moves +2 Aerilate Body Slam is gonna be stronk.

:ss/togekiss:
Togekiss @ Gale Wings
Ability: Serene Grace
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Aura Sphere

I call this set "UnnerfGaleWings".
It would be the most cancerous thing if it wasn't ruined by literally 1 HP worth of chip. As it is... It probably sucks.

:ss/amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Prankster
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Toxic / Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb / Foul Play

Another cancerous set, this one not sucky. Amoonguss is the best user of Prankster Spore in the game thanks to Regen and fat (and the other one being Shiinotic), which is a full niche by itself. Given that Electric types seem likely to start running Refrigerate or other coverage for it it remains to be seen how much other defensive utility it has.

:ss/tapu_koko:
Tapu Koko @ Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird / Taunt / U-Turn
- Roost
- Nature's Madness / Taunt / U-Turn

Tapu Koko @ Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn / Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind / Roost

Koko is going to have a million sets as always. Surge Surfer + Esurge makes it faster than fast, outpacing all the other instant +2 mons besides Jolly Barraskewda (lol). Speed Control the mon. Magic Guard is a nice pivot and stallbreakery sort of thing which can annoy stuff like Pex and Slowbro while still being fast and fairly strong.

:ss/alakazam:
Alakazam @ Psychic Surge
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Expanding Force
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Priority is easy to come by here. So let's use something to beat that! Murders Pex, hates Slowthings and other fat Psychics, and overall just packs a punch while not being susceptible to stuff like Triage Buzzwole. No bulk though, which limits its ability to come in without pivoting.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Looks like an interesting om!

Some theorymoning:

:ss/tapu-koko:
Tapu Koko @ Surge Surfer / Transistor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (I don't even think 252 Spe is necessary for Surge Surfer)
Modest / Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind / U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

Tapu Koko @ Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

CM Koko looks like it can be really deadly against bulky and offensive teams alike. Surge Surfer means that Koko will never ever have to worry about its speed and can afford to run Modest (as well as being able to bypass CM not boosting speed. Alternatively Transistor make its Tbolts hit like mininukes for free but you'd want to run Timid there obv.

MG Koko could be a good pivot, taking 0 damage from hazards and other passive damage. This also lets it use its higher Atk stat to spam Wild Charges for free, and Brave Bird will finally become viable for this thing. U-turn also actually does damage now lol.
(drampa are you serious...im posting these anyway)

:ss/pincurchin:
Pincurchin @ Transistor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Rising Voltage
- Scald
- Spikes
- Recover

:ss/regieleki:
Regieleki @ Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (no Scarf means that you prolly won't need the speed tho
Modest Nature
- Rising Voltage
- Filler
- Filler
- Filler

Retards rejoice as Transistor Rising Voltage becomes avaliable in a single mon. Pincurchin will still suck tho and Eleki will be better off running Refrigirate anyway.

:ss/terrakion:
Terrakion @ Tinted Lens / Adaptability / Gorilla Tactics
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance / Megahorn / Filler
- Earthquake

Terrak is already near-impossible to switch into, and now Tinted Lens means that even resists won't save you. Adapt can be used since Terrak usually mostly uses its STABs anyway, and G-Tactics is basically CB unknockable Terrak (though knock won't be used as much here I think).

:ss/darmanitan:
Darmanitan @ Magic Guard
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Recoil-less Flare Blitz woo! Otherwise this is just HDB Darm turned up to 11.

:ss/blacephalon:
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock / Substitute
- Calm Mind / Substitute

Lol recoiless Mind Blown is here too. Blace gets to rid itself of its annoying Rocks weakness and throw off super-powerful attacks for free. A Hex set might work too.

:ss/zapdos: :ss/thundurus-therian:
Zapdos @ Primordial Sea
Ability: Static
Timid / Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Roost

Thundurus-Therian @ Primordial Sea
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Focus Blast / Sludge Wave

Both of these gets to fire off nuclear 100% accurate STAB move(s). Zapdos gets roost and Hurricane but Thundy gets NP, higher speed, and coverage. Looks to be quite difficult to switch into tbh.

:ss/victini:
Victini @ Desolate Land
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-Create / Blue Flare
- Bolt Strike
- Glaciate / Scorching Sands
- Blue Flare / Scorching Sands / one of Victini's many coverage moves

Lel Sun V-Create goes boom, rest are just for show. Except Blue Flare, Blue Flare is cool. And having all three of the Tao Trio's signature moves + its own signature move is cool too.

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Good pokemon in this meta are most likely going to be mons with already good abilities since that means they'll be able to stack multiple good abilities.

:bw/clefable:
Clefable @ Magic Guard
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Stored Power
- Moonblast
Yep, demon set. Your only option against a clef like this that has already setup are crits, haze or phazing. And at the end of the day, it can still just sit on many mons because it already does clef things. You can also run cm if you want more power than bulk.

:ss/Kartana:
Kartana @ Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
A bit of a joke set but becomes absolutely unwallable if it gets a single kill. You could also run the cursed set with no attack investment, a timid nature and 19 attack IVs to get the speed Beast Boost and get a free ddance everytime. Probably not a good set but you can do some funny stuff with Beast Boost.

:bw/tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Delta Stream
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- U-turn
You can honestly run this with whatever torn-t set you prefer but no weaknesses paired with Regen and removing weather for weather abusers seems very annoying to deal with.

shadowpea

is a Tiering Contributor
:ss/Kartana:
Kartana @ Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
A bit of a joke set but becomes absolutely unwallable if it gets a single kill. You could also run the cursed set with no attack investment, a timid nature and 19 attack IVs to get the speed Beast Boost and get a free ddance everytime. Probably not a good set but you can do some funny stuff with Beast Boost.
Kart is banned (rip)

But this gets me thinking...what would happen if we mixed two boosting-with-kill abilities?

:ss/nihilego:
Nihilego @ Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (or 176 SpA for a speed boost from Beast Boost)
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt / Thunder / hazard? / Sub / Protect
- Grass Knot / hazard? / Sub / Protect

Gets a NP per kill, which is pretty nice. The problem is killing something first, but considering Nihilego's often-overlooked speed (base 103 trolls Garchomp and creeps other base 100s) and special attack (127: for reference, Hydreigon's SpA is 125 and Tapu Lele/Kyurem's is 130), this shouldn't be way too hard, especially considering its neat coverage. The speed boosting version should be much harder for offense to deal with tho.

:ss/blacephalon:
Blacephalon @ Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (or 20 SpA for a speed boost from Beast Boost)
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Substitute / Flamethrower / Calm Mind

Lol this is kinda Nihilego but on steroids with better offensive typing and stats. Paper-thin bulk really suck tho and despite Blace's higher speed its much more prone to being revenge killed. +2 SpA per kill is no joke tho. And ofc you can make it boost speed with Beast Boost but this makes Blace far weaker so I'm not sure if its worth it. It can get some free wins tho lol.

:ss/gyarados:
Gyarados @ As One (Glastrier)
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Pick 2 of Ice Fang / Power Whip / Earthquake / Bounce

Free SD per kill. Considering that it probably would have a DD when it got one this looks like one hell of a sweeper. It might want intimidate to set up more easily tho. Of course, with Aerilate being a thing...

Gyarados @ Aerilate
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Double-Edge / Body Slam
- Pick 2 1 of Ice Fang / Power Whip / Earthquake / Bounce

Consistant Flying STAB makes Gyara that much harder to wall. Love it.

:ss/salamence:
Salamence @ As One (Glastrier)
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw / Dual Wingbeat / Outrage
- Pick 2 of Earthquake / Fire Fang / Fire Blast / whichever STAB you didn't pick / Roost

Gyarados turned up to 12. It has consistant Flying STAB to start with as well as good random coverage. And it has Roost. Of course the main attraction is that after DD and 1 kill you'd be face a +3 Atk +1 Spe Salamence, which is nigh-impossible to wall outside of Unawares. Scary. Aerilate/Intimidate set works too, and you don't even have to make it Moxie to make it scary.

Phero is banned unfortunately, so is Naga :'(, Celesteela would most likely want to run something else like Regenerator, same with Buzzwole, Heracross with SD would be funny but otherwise suck, Scrafty suck, Krookodile is kinda eeehhhhh, Xurkitree would be funny if it doesn't suck (but Surge Surfer Xurk could be rly cool tho), Stakataka would be cool on TR but I'm not that kind of guy, and Guzzlord - yep, you guessed it. Suck.

EDIT: Ok, I need to make a Koko set that someone else didn't make (well I made my Koko sets BEFORE Drampa bc as you can see mine is at the top of my post and his is at the bottom but he posted first so now I'm raging) so after using my 2 braincells for 5 minutes I came up with something.

:ss/tapu-koko:
Tapu Koko @ Galvanize / Pixilate
Jolly Nature
- Facade (yes this is its best physical normal move, better than nothing tho)
- Quick Attack / U-turn
- U-turn / Brave Bird / Wild Charge (if Pixilate)
- Roost

STAB -ate Koko. Facade is only 6 BP lower than Wild Charge after factoring in Galvanize and has no recoil. On top of that you get super strong if you get statused, which kinda sorta not really make up for no Magic Guard. Quick Attack is STAB priority which honestly amazing and deceptively strong, especially when you factor in Electric Terrain (its 62.4 BP not factoring in STAB). Electric Quick Attack could be its main selling point over Magic Guard sets. Then you just run U-turn because its U-turn and then add Roost because its Roost. Great good amazing, you'd probably be better off running other Koko sets but whatever.

Pixilate Koko fixes one of Koko's biggest problems: no physical Fairy STAB. STAB Facade makes up for that problem, and STAB Quick Attack is the cherry on the top, most importantly picking off Dragapult and actually doing something to Zeraora. But here's the problem: this Koko has some 4MSS to deal with. Facade is basically mandatory here (or else why would you run Pixilate), you can't use Koko without Electric STAB, you really want Roost to heal off Wild Charge recoil, you really want U-turn, and you'd like Quick Attack to kill Pult and weakened sweepers. I'd probably run Facade/U-turn/Wild Charge/Roost since Koko is plenty fast anyway, but missing Quick Attack can really bite you in the butt sometimes.

Last edited:

Blaziken @ Moxie/Beast Boost
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Acrobatics
- Thunder Punch/Swords Dance

I'm not sure what the acrobatics interaction here is supposed to be but I'm excited to try this as a late game thing.

Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Mind Blown
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

No orb boost but it keeps beast boost and recoil immunity I guess?

Palossand @ Sand Stream
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Shore Up
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Sand Tomb

"My Lord, is that legal?" "I will make it legal."

I think this meta will be ripe for sand abusers. I can see zolt being quickbanned.

Corviknight @ Rough Skin/Iron Barbs
Ability: Mirror Armor/Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Unknockable helmet is always nice.

Corviknight @ Prankster
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird
- Iron Head/Taunt

This one is just cruel. Prankster boost/regen while pressure stalling? If this works, I'm so sorry.

Heatran @ Levitate
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Protect

2 immunities are nice. I found myself missing flash fire on AAA Heatran sets, while feeling ambivalent about losing lefties.

edit: formatting

Last edited:

arn.av136

would've, could've, should've
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Is this OM playable yet and how can one make teams in showdown?

On a sidenote, Galar Weezing looks quite good here with Corrosion since conventional methods of dealing with corrosion on AAA ladder such as Magic Bounce and Magic Guard (Natural Cure and Immunity as base abilities too) do not work due to GWeez's Neutralising Gas (I'm assuming that it doesn't cancel out your own corrosion too).

While it is possible to deal with it offensively with common SE moves or by attacking its weaker Special Defense, I think bulkier teams would just struggle to deal with it.

GWeez also has taunt to prevent Heal Bell/Aromatherapy attempts and is looking to be a great pokemon nonetheless due to NGas being so good.

Zeraora @ Transistor
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Blaze Kick/Play Rough/Something IDK what I'm doing
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
I could see Zera being a very good check to Regieleki in Multibility
252+ Atk Refrigerate Regieleki Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zeraora: 122-144 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Transistor Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Regieleki: 189-223 (62.7 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Transistor Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Regieleki: 284-335 (94.3 - 111.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Regieleki also can't Volt Switch on it because of Volt Absorb.
Edit:Changed it to Transistor,can't be bothered to redo the calcs tho.

Last edited:

shadowpea

is a Tiering Contributor
Zeraora @ Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Blaze Kick/Play Rough/Something IDK what I'm doing
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
I could see Adaptability Zera being a very good check to Regieleki in Multibility
252+ Atk Refrigerate Regieleki Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zeraora: 122-144 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Adaptability Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Regieleki: 170-200 (56.4 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Regieleki also can't Volt Switch on it because of Volt Absorb.
Other uses:
Slowbro
252 Atk Adaptability Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shadow Shield Slowbro: 134-158 (34 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Adaptability Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 268-316 (68 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Corviknight
252 Atk Adaptability Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. +1 248 HP / 0 Def Corviknight: 252-300 (63.1 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 8 Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zeraora: 110-130 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Just saying that Zera's only STAB is Electric so Transistor is straight up better than Adaptability. Otherwise this looks nice.

Regenerator on the pivot set looks kinda kickass too because Zera can run back in the field multiple times and heal every time it runs away.

I think that Eterrain is going to be an absolute FORCE in this meta.Between the new tools that Koko gets,Regieleki with Ice coverage,the ability for you to use whatever the heck you want with Surge Surfer(including stuff to kill Grounds),and Zera using either BU Transistor boosted PFists or Regen Volt Switch,and Eterrain is...kinda strong.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)