Done Multi battles and free-for-all

Status
Not open for further replies.

pre

pkmn.cc
MacChaeger has done a ton of work here, first performing a large rework of spread moves and then landing a number of large changes to add support for more than 2 players to the server. However, there are still many, many other places which need to be changed (including but not limited to matchmaking, challenges, tournaments, ratings, forfeiting, logging), and most importantly, no client changes have been completed so far.

I've been playing Multi Battles for a long time with friends and others online and have plenty of experience with them. Right now I'm working on guides and videos on how to play them, find them, what's good and bad, etc. I'd like to know what I can do on Smogon itself to become an active member of what is hopefully an active Multi community. This is all in the works for you guys since it's only 50% done, but the sooner I know what I can do the better. Any suggestions?

I had the idea a while ago.

My idea is of a tier similar to doubles, except there are 4 players involved. Basicaly 2v2.
Like the original doubles tiers, it could be separated into Doubles 2v2 Ubers, Doubles 2v2 OU, Doubles 2v2 UU, etc.
In my point of view, it would be really cool teaming up with a friend rather than going against them.
So please, consider adding this!

A little early to say this but tournament fights for Multi Battles should be best of 3 with the same teams (different picks from those teams ofc).

I've played Multis for around five years now and the way to get the best out of a set and your team is to utilize those benched Pokemon in a round 2. Multis really emphasize choice and having to choose from your twelve Pokemon. Probably best in organized tournies and not lobby chat since lobby chat tournies are meant to be spontaneous and quick. It doesn't feel right to not do a second fight with the same team, there's that feeling of regret that you didn't get to show off your full team building power.

If implemented this will go very well with the in-progress bo3 button for people who want to run sets on Showdown. I hope the people who will be in charge of managing Multis will do this, it brings out the best in this very special and unique format

I really appreciate the work that's being done here, as I think that multi-player battles are one of the most fun things that any game can offer. Out of curiosity, do we know when it's going to be implemented? (Don't mean to push anyone, just wanted to see how close it is.)

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
Excuse me do u know what date it possibly might released
No, there is no current date on this. It's still blocked by the client Preact rewrite, which is likely to talk a while unto itself.
Don't expect this feature to happen for a while.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
First: thanks to everybody who's been working on this project. It's super cool that it's in the works and I really appreciate y'all listening to community feedback and undertaking what seems to be a difficult project for us.

Second, some suggestions;
1) A 'team chat' of some sort in the battle would be awesome. This could be an entirely separate chat, an in-battle PM or just a message only your partner can see. This would help people strategize and communicate more effectively and overall up the level of play.

This isn't super urgent because people can obviously always just PM each other, but it should make it easier to plan and work as a team without constantly switching screens.

2) Multiple metas using the multi battle format would be awesome. I was thinking Multi 1v1 (2v2? w/e same community), Random Multi Battles, and every OM being able to be multi-battled. Last one is just me being into mashing OMs with other things x_x, but I imagine the first two should be pretty popular and not terribly hard to code once Multi Battles themselves are coded. You can steal sets for Randbats right from Doubles presumably.

It would be lit if we could apply the format in challenges and tours similar to others, but IDK the technical restrictions there. I don't even know how you would challenge to a Multi Battle, given 4 people have to be involved, but y'all know better than me there.

That's it stay safe lmk if I should elaborate on or clarify anything or if I'm out of place :blobnom:

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Don't want to be annoying, but has there been any progress in the last year? I think this would be a really cool feature.
Progress has slowly but surely been made by contributors pyuk and Spandan, but is currently stalled due to a botched merge on the server-side PR. The developers need assistance to help fix the problem. The client PR is also under review.

In non-techy terms, it is making progress, but still has a ways to go.

Last edited:
Hey there!
I've been playing Multi Random Battles with my friends and we've been having a great time.
We were wondering if there were plans for Multi Battles in there future that let us build our own teams.
Keep up the great work! :)

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
Hey there!
I've been playing Multi Random Battles with my friends and we've been having a great time.
We were wondering if there were plans for Multi Battles in there future that let us build our own teams.
Keep up the great work! :)
Sry for bumping but I think this would be a feature most of the community would really appreciate to know if it has been planned / wip as there hasn't been news for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)