Movesets for 5 and 6 star raids?

I am wondering of Covert Cloak against Electric mons, as a paralysis can be very harsh. Also useful against special attackers to prevent drop.

I am poor so as I bring Gholdengo at every single raid I found that good

Last edited:
I am wondering of Covert Cloak against Electric mons, as a paralysis can be very harsh. Also useful against special attackers to prevent drop.
Covert cloak was pretty good against the Charizard raid since it negated the burns and confusion.
Though to be honest in the specific case you mention, you're generally bringing either a ground or electric type against electric raids, so cloak would be kinda redundant for that.

Gastrodon gets Clear Smog, which against certain raids which spam boost themselves has value.

The Assault Vest idea is probably not optimal then.

Another idea:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Ability: Storm Drain
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Defense

- Chilling Water
- Clear Smog
- Recover
- Helping Hand (?)

And do you know how to get the egg move Clear Smog on Shellos in SV?

The Assault Vest idea is probably not optimal then.

Another idea:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Ability: Storm Drain
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Defense

- Chilling Water
- Clear Smog
- Recover
- Helping Hand (?)

And do you know how to get the egg move Clear Smog on Shellos in SV?
Clear Smog is actually a damaging move so you can use it with AV :)

Also Armarouge and Ceruledge learn Clear Smog naturally, you can pass it from them.

Clear Smog is actually a damaging move so you can use it with AV :)

Also Armarouge and Ceruledge learn Clear Smog naturally, you can pass it from them.
Meanwhile I did some research myself; if I am not mistaken you should also be able to go the following breeding route:

Torkoal -> Psyduck -> Shellos

in order to get a Shellos with Clear Smog as egg move.

So, since AV and Clear Smog used together is working, I might go for the AV Set I posted earlier, but with Clear Smog and Recover replacing Ice Beam and Tera Blast.

Meanwhile I did some research myself; if I am not mistaken you should also be able to go the following breeding route:

So, since AV and Clear Smog used together is working, I might go for the AV Set I posted earlier, but with Clear Smog and Recover replacing Ice Beam and Tera Blast.
Uh you dont need any of that in SV. You can pass it directly from armarouge.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

You can pass Egg moves directly if you have the Pokemon you want to teach have an empty moveslot and hold a Mirror Herb and picknick with it and a Pokemon that knows the Egg Move you want to share. They don't have to be able to breed.

For what matters, the set I run on Gastrodon is a simple Chilling Water / Earth Power / Clear Smog / Recover with Lefties + Storm Drain

It works ok, though honestly aside Clear Smog, Umbreon and Blissey do the "defensive behemot with utility" job better.

I've been using Shell Bell Belly drum on Azumarill, is it viable?
Shell bell is one of the many viable items, though people tend to prefer covert cloak to avoid the various burn / paralysis / confusion shenenigans or sitrus berry for the more immediate healing (or damage boosting items)

I've been having a decent amount of success with espartha

Espathra @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Lumina Crash

If you manage to pull of a few calm minds you'll be bulky enough to roost up, and with 4-6 turns of set-up you can OHKO or nearly OHKO most things with stored power.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I have been loving Chilling Water Slowbro as a dedicated supporter for Fighting, Fire, Ground, some Poison raids:

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Chilling Water
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Slack Off

This works best versus physical attackers as Chilling Water makes them continually weaker (even through shield phase) which helps you and your partners survive longer. Tera Water Chilling Water isn't terribly strong but it helps to chip down the shield especially when boosted by some Nasty Plots. Against physical attackers it is really hard for this Slowbro to end up dying because of the reliable recovery and Chilling Water, which means you'll never be a detriment to the timer. Nasty Plot even helps it gain some offensive presence which helps heavily with the shield phase. Lastly, Oblivious is Slowbro's only good ability for raids, helps against some Taunt mons like Revavroom. Ofc this set is best with a somewhat coordinated team since it doesn't really sweep on its own, but with proper teamwork it's a crazy good supporter in the right type matchups.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been having a decent amount of success with espartha

Espathra @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Lumina Crash

If you manage to pull of a few calm minds you'll be bulky enough to roost up, and with 4-6 turns of set-up you can OHKO or nearly OHKO most things with stored power.
Lumina Crash is some weak sauce and Tera Pokemon enjoy regularly resetting their own negative stat modifications. I suggest replacing this with Psychic Terrain and attaching Twisted Spoon (+20% items are undervalued ITT, they're such a free stack), because your goal should be to get one massive hit just before shield, then setting up again after the inevitable stat nullification.

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Something that's impressively effective for Solo even without attacking is Howl Spam. Scream Tail learns Howl, Dual Screens, and Misty Terrain and it's enough for 5 Star Raids that aren't too bulky. (And some that are bulky if you want to take a few hours trying Tera Water Slowking was not fun... So many losses even with 3 Physical Attackers...) You need to reset for better partners if the ones you get suck, but it still shows that the AI partners can be pretty good if you have Level 100 Pokemon. (They scale with your Pokemon. Their levels are 4/5 yours, so Level 80 if you have Level 100. It makes breeding an Igglybuff with 0 Def and SpD IVs for Ditto Raids tempting...) 6 Star Raids though, you're going to need a Pokemon that can pull its own weight instead of only being able to help others.

When Home updates, Howl Zacain and Zamazenta are going to be insane for both offense and support and support for Raids. Zacain also gets Misty Terrain and Zamazenta also gets Dual Screens.

Lumina Crash is some weak sauce and Tera Pokemon enjoy regularly resetting their own negative stat modifications. I suggest replacing this with Psychic Terrain and attaching Twisted Spoon (+20% items are undervalued ITT, they're such a free stack), because your goal should be to get one massive hit just before shield, then setting up again after the inevitable stat nullification.
Sorta. The debuff reset seems to happen only once per battle, so Lumina Crash isn't without merit. Same reason for which lot of pokemon keep Acid Spray if they can afford it.
I see no issue in running Lumina Crash as main stab, but I am still skeptical on Espathra in general due to speed boost / calm mind not really being reliable, as the buff clear is used more often during the fight and neither is as impactful as a Nasty Plot or Belly Drum nuke

Also I will vouch for screen + howl Scream Tail, it's a funny tech. Though I do run Psychic Fang as stab just to nuke the occasional screener raid

Sorta. The debuff reset seems to happen only once per battle, so Lumina Crash isn't without merit. Same reason for which lot of pokemon keep Acid Spray if they can afford it.
I see no issue in running Lumina Crash as main stab, but I am still skeptical on Espathra in general due to speed boost / calm mind not really being reliable, as the buff clear is used more often during the fight and neither is as impactful as a Nasty Plot or Belly Drum nuke

Also I will vouch for screen + howl Scream Tail, it's a funny tech. Though I do run Psychic Fang as stab just to nuke the occasional screener raid
I have a second espartha that is just lumina crash and opportunist holding shell bell. It only really works against tera types weak to psychic, but I still think espartha is really great and being slept on

Thought it was cute that the official website had a lot of similar builds https://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/pokemon-scarlet-and-pokemon-violet-tera-raid-battle-tips
I think this is a pretty solid base with a focus on boosting moves, though it feels like they avoided talking about Iron Hands either because it's a paradox or doesn't have an equivalent version exclusive, and they also casually mention Perrserker and Belly Drum Azumarill without how to get the move or the fact that you need 4 Perrserker for its maximum power. Iron Hands is even shown in this victory photo they used, soloing a Normal Cetitan with what looks like some NPC mons.

1672240424946.png

While the article mainly focuses on group play and synergizing boosts with teammates, in solo a viable option is putting Throat Spray and Charge on Miraidon to add more potential multipliers you can stack to fish for OHKOs. I didn't come up with it but it can work pretty well if you can hit at least neutrally and don't want to deal with shields. There's also an image for some generalist and other sets that cover most types by yilx that's been in discord for a while and is probably also worth mentioning.

Had a lot of success with this for one shot soloing neutral 5 stars and electric weak 6 stars.

:Miraidon:
Miraidon @ Throat Spray
Modest
252 SpAtk / 252 Spd (HP is better since you already outspeed everything but I’m not retraining this thing)
-Metal Sound
-Charge
-Electro Drift
-Parabolic Charge (I think I have yet to click this)

The multipliers here are insane between Throat Spray, the SpDef debuff, a Go All Out cheer, and a Charge. The only thing to even think about is if you save the cheer for the end so your AI teammates don’t chip it to shields up or if you start with it to break through a fatter Pokémon. Would recommend.

Anybody got a good suggestion for dealing with powerful ghost-type raids? A ghost dragapult raid absolutely wrecked my shit. I don't have nintendo online so I can't play multiplayer. I've tried:
Gholdengo
Iron Hands (lol)
Espartha
Corviknight
Azumarill

Anybody got a good suggestion for dealing with powerful ghost-type raids? A ghost dragapult raid absolutely wrecked my shit. I don't have nintendo online so I can't play multiplayer. I've tried:
Gholdengo
Iron Hands (lol)
Espartha
Corviknight
Azumarill
Ting-Lu is bulky and strong and Dark Type

It lacks some key factors like set up, but it can pull some duty.

Against :clodsire: Clodsire <Ground> with Unaware. This time I managed to get help.

:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur <Ice>
@ Shell Bell
- Icicle Crash
- Icicle Spear

+

:glaceon: Glaceon <Bug> (random Tera type but it happened to resist Ground)
Ice Body
- Snowscape
- Blizzard
- Freeze Dry (Ice Beam would be better)
- Helping Hand (if I remember correctly but it seems useful in general)

Snowscape to boost Defense, then just go for Blizzard / Ice moves. Unaware makes setup useless, though I guess defense reduction could help.

Last edited:
I have not much experience with 5 to 7 star raids, so I have a question:

Are pokémon, that do not support the raid, but also don't have a move to boost their attack stats by any means, even of use during the raid, or are they dead weight?

For example a Pokémon (let's say Tyranitar :) ) using an Assault Vest and 4 Damaging Moves, assuming it has the (special) defenses to not get in trouble for several turns.

Are pokémon, that do not support the raid, but also don't have a move to boost their attack stats by any means, even of use during the raid, or are they dead weight?
Depends. Simply high damage bulky mons work fine.
Es I've ran Assault Vest Sylveon and Assault Vest Flutter Mane in the Charizard raid, I do use Specs Chi You occasionally for 6 stars, etc.

Realistically speaking, if the poke has a combination of recovery, high bulk, compatible typing with the boss, and either strong utility or high damage moves, it's fine for 5 and 6 star raids.

It's definitely match up dependent.

I've said it several times now, but like Ting-Lu. No real recovery or set up, but its bulky (especially with its ability) and can hit hard. It's not great for every encounter, but it can stem the tide enough for even CPU to do the deed.

And sometimes it just hard counters regardless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)