Move/Ability animations thread

Shouldn't Fishious Rend be shown either as a bite (like Crunch and Fang moves) or a Water-type move? It is just the Tackle animation.
Probably? Tackle is the placeholder animation for all moves w/o animations, which is probably why that's what's shown.

I really don't know if this is good or not. :l

Brave Bird ig

You could use the first part of fly and then have a bullet punch-ish animation after.

So it goes up, and then into the enemy
will I get a reply? no

Last edited:

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Hi, I never realized I was given ownership of this thread but I'm the new person in "charge" of doing the client animations. The gen 9 animations were recently added, but here's a list of the ones not given new animations:
  • axekick - uses highjumpkick
  • bittermalice - uses spectralthief
  • bleakwindstorm - uses hurricane
  • ceaselessedge - uses nightslash
  • chillingwater - uses waterpulse
  • comeuppance - uses darkpulse
  • doubleshock - uses wildcharge
  • filletaway - uses bulkup
  • glaiverush - uses outrage
  • headlongrush - uses closecombat + earthpower
  • hyperdrill - uses drillrun
  • kowtowcleave - uses nightslash
  • lastrespects - uses memento
  • luminacrash - uses esperwing
  • lunarblessing - uses moonlight
  • mountaingale - uses powergem
  • pounce - uses bodyslam
  • powershift - uses skillswap
  • ragefist - uses shadowpunch
  • ragingbull - uses gigaimpact
  • shedtail - uses substitute
  • shelter - uses withdraw
  • stoneaxe - uses stoneedge + slash
  • terablast - uses swift
  • tidyup - uses bulkup
  • trailblaze - uses powerwhip
  • tripledive - uses dive
Some of these, such as Headlong Rush/Stone Axe, I don't plan on changing. Additionally, others like Tera Blast are just placeholders because it realistically has 1 animation for each type and I haven't had time to work on that yet.

I do plan on going through old move animations and working on some of them in the future, but I don't have a timeline of when I can do that.

Hello ! I really think that these sprites these animations, despite many players not being able to see the full extent of this (seeing as the Skip Turn button exists), is super cool and wonderful and amazing. Many of the move animations look really fucking amazing while only requiring a combination of simple effects and animations. This makes all the more a bummer that there have been few contributions to this project since its heyday in Gen 7 (does this have to do with the "disappearance" of the old thread host, Ridaz ? I'm more or less unaware of the history of Smogon's staff), which shows by the lack of quality the Gen 8 animations seem to have (bro wtf Fishious Rend has had NADA even 3.5 years later, especially compared to Z-Moves). Could there be a clarification from the people behind this project about how it is currently organized, how the animations are made/updated, and how the effects and sprites are added ? Thanks !

Last edited:
What are all the moves Tera Blast uses for its animations? I've seen a few and while a lot of them are accurate enough there are a few that could probably be swapped out for another move

Also why was Moonblast's animation changed? It’s just less cart accurate for no good reason now (i might be wrong about this, I’ll have to check how moonblast looks in-game later)

Update: Me and hell20 tested and documented every single Tera Blast animation here: https://pastebin.pl/view/1282a8e2

Last edited:

dhelmise

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Hello ! I really think that these sprites these animations, despite many players not being able to see the full extent of this (seeing as the Skip Turn button exists), is super cool and wonderful and amazing. Many of the move animations look really fucking amazing while only requiring a combination of simple effects and animations. This makes all the more a bummer that there have been few contributions to this project since its heyday in Gen 7 (does this have to do with the "disappearance" of the old thread host, Ridaz ? I'm more or less unaware of the history of Smogon's staff), which shows by the lack of quality the Gen 8 animations seem to have (bro wtf Fishious Rend has had NADA even 3.5 years later, especially compared to Z-Moves). Could there be a clarification from the people behind this project about how it is currently organized, how the animations are made/updated, and how the effects and sprites are added ? Thanks !
Hey sorry for the late reply! I’m currently the only person doing move animations. If you don’t like them, figure out a way to contribute yourself (the client is an open source project), or zip it. Very weird to launch random ad hominems (“lack of quality”? It’s a completely volunteer-run website, you don’t need to be saying this) at the quality of my animations just because they’re a different style from what ridaz did.
What are all the moves Tera Blast uses for its animations? I've seen a few and while a lot of them are accurate enough there are a few that could probably be swapped out for another move

Also why was Moonblast's animation changed? It’s just less cart accurate for no good reason now (i might be wrong about this, I’ll have to check how moonblast looks in-game later)

Update: Me and hell20 tested and documented every single Tera Blast animation here: https://pastebin.pl/view/1282a8e2
It is called “moon blast”, the in game animation has a moon in it shining light on the user, and the user focuses the light into a ball that’s shot at the target. This is fairly accurate while also remaining different enough.

dhelmise

Social Media Head
here are all DLC2 move animations:

Blood Moon

Ivy Cudgel

Syrup Bomb

Moonlight/Lunar Dance/Lunar Blessing

Moonblast

Matcha Gotcha

Tera Blast

hi! i just want to say this thread is absouletely super cool and i love the work projects like these have put into them. with that being said... i don't know it this is the place for such a thing but i would like to request a new image/particle for some animations:
item_bag.png

this is meant to replace the Poké Ball that appears during Trick/Switcheroo, and maybe add a little more flair to some other moves/abilities.
possible uses include
○ Trick
○ Fling
○ Switcheroo
○ Knock Off
○ Recycle (maybe?)
○ Poltergeist
○ Pickup (???)
either way, thanks for all your work on this project! it's really nice seeing PS so... well, animated.

Ummm... It's been 3 months since the Indigo Disk DLC came out and yet Pokemon Showdown never added their move animations they used from Indigo Disk. When is the moves added to the Indigo Disk really going to be added to the Pokemon Showdown? I want some cool animations of these moves in Pokemon Showdown such as Tera Starstorm! Maybe it would add something even cooler! Thank you! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)