Monotype Viability Rankings V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If its viable, it gets a rank, no exceptions.
on mobile so i'll make this short
Look at how many outright terrible d ranked mons some types have, like normal (Pyroar, slaking, furfrou). Either the d ranks need to be cleaned out or someone should somehow justify their niche in that rank, because they arent viable.
On kyurem, yeah it should qualify as D cause of the tiny niche it has on blizzard spam teams.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After the series of events that have occurred time to update the VR
Change(s) Discussion #5
(Psychic) A--->S
(Normal) Will be discussed later
(Flying) Stays A
(Dragon) C--->D
(Dark) Stays C
(Rock) Will be discussed later
Discussion #6
(Electric) D--->C
(Fairy) B--->A
(Water) B--->C
(Ghost) C--->D
(Ground) A--->B

Because of recent posts causing a lot of tension in the thread a couple Pokemon will be blacklisted
Blacklist Updates
(Ice) It fulfills a specific role on Ice teams in Blizzard Spam Ice teams
(Bug) Brought up multiple times with same arguments
FEAR Pokemon should not be brought up because they are just gimmicky and do not warrant a rank
Any mention of any Pokemon in the current Blacklist will get your post deleted and/or infracted.
Please note if the thread goes down a similar path it has gone in the last two days, the thread will be locked, so please post intelligently

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
(Electric) - Jolteon is really an interesting Pokemon for Electric teams. It serves almost an identical role as Specs Raikou (with the exception of not having Extrasensory), but gives up 5 base power for a much higher speed stat that can really come in handy for Electric teams (especially ones that utilize Mega Ampharos). I have seen Apples use it and have a bit of success with it both in high ladder and in various matchups. I would definitely say that it's viability is better than Electivire's based only on the fact that its practically a faster, less versatile SpecsKou. D -> C

(Fairy) - Sylveon can be an absolute powerhouse on Fairy teams, especially the Specs variant. It is definitely a great asset for Fairy teams and can be tough for your opponent to handle, however I don't really think it is extremely necessary to have on your team, or at least more so than Whimsicott and the same as Togekiss or Gardevoir. Stays B

- Agree with what Llama said, its a faster raikou with 5 less base spa and can outspeed things like lando t when afflicted with status(by gastrodons scald or zapdos' toxic, for example). Has a nice niche and you cant compare with other D rank Pokemon like stunfisk and galvantula. D -> C
- Not sure about this one. Probably one of the best wallbreakers on fairy with specs + pixilate. I'd say A but i don't know enough about the type to make a good call.
- Has no place on balanced teams, and is outclassed by other Pokemon on rain like swampert, seismitoad, sharpedo and azumarill. B -> C
-
what waszap said below. though its one of the best wallbreakers in the game, it still needs speed control even on a sand team. A -> B

Last edited:
- Agreed, points already made above, but just having the nice ability of having 1.5x speed when statused makes it worth it in some scenarios. D-> C.
- just a special wallbreaker that is a bit too slow to be considered an asset. Its great in some scenarios, but with its limited coverage, and fairy already having mega gardevoir and clefable, i dont think its needed. Whimiscott and Slurpuff offer much better roles for the type than sylveon does. Stays at B.
- only niche it has is having SS, SD and SR. Its typing really does nothing for the type, and like izaya said, is outclassed by other offensive rockers like swamp and seis that actually offer an immunity. B-> C.
- agreed, i found myself only using mega camerupt when using scarf chomp. Even though its an amazing wallbreaker, its too slow to make up for its power. The fact that it needs to run speed to outspeed slowbro to avoid the uninvested scald 1hko is pretty sad. And while it does break steel grass, and i find garchomp with its mixed movepool and better speed can get the job done as well. A -> B.

Vid

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After controversy behind the scenes. Confluxx aka Balor has been taken of the VR council
Zarif will be replacing him
(Water) S--->A The Mono VR council has discussed this multiple times and came to the conclusion Manaphy is hard to fit on Water teams so it should be A Rank for that reason.
(Steel) Unranked--->D
(Normal) Unranked--->D

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
Glad to be on the team :) Thoughts on the discussions of the week:-

(Electric|D->C) - Wasn't sure about Jolteon before but after reading some of the points from iLlama and Izaya., I definitely support this. Being able to function as somewhat of a status absorber is nice for any type.
(Fairy|B->A) - I've used Sylveon as a Choice Specs user a lot and I have to say, it's a great wallbreaker for Fairy. Most Pokemon don't like to switch in to a Pixelate and Choice Specs boosted Hyper Voice from this thing. It has Hidden Power Fire to threaten Steel-type Pokemon and Psyshock to threaten Poison-type Pokemon. With Tailwind support from Pokemon such as Togekiss/Whimsicott, it acts as a late-game cleaner as well. It can function in other roles such as Cleric too. Support this.
(Water|B->C) - Only real reason to use Kabutops is to use it in Swift Swim teams and even then, Mega Swampert outclasses it, as it has more Attack, better bulk, which allows it to set up Rain Dance easier. Support it dropping.
(Ghost|C->D) - Haven't really used Trevenant in Monotype and I don't see a reason to use it to be honest. It could work with a Harvest+Substitute+Leech Seed set but the increase of wallbreakers in the metagame isn't really doing any favors to it. Support.
(Ground|A->B) - One of the two worth using Mega Pokemon in Ground-type teams in my opinion but then again, Landorus can do the same thing it can with more Speed but loses out on Fire-type coverage. Mega Camerupt heavily pressures Grass-type teams and Mega Venusaur in particular, which Ground struggles against. Not really sure about this though, I'll discuss this with the others.

Last edited:
just pointing out, modest jolteon has like 3 less speed points (359 or something) and (sadly, at least raikou can still say its movepool is better) higher spatk, letting it hit harder than kou or megaman (p sure even apples uses modest jolt correct me if im wrong) so its "niche" is trading off coverage and bulk to hit harder than its rivals
jolt 359 spe, 350 (specs 525) spatk
raikou 361 spe, 329 (specs 493) spatk
megaman 405 spe, 369 spatk

also nothing in the 359-361 speed tier something that you would need jolt for so the missing speed wont affect it too much
(now you tie with swoobat lol and underspeed the other 115s with relevant ones being starmie azelf and mega doom which imo wont be too big of a deal)

i would go farther but im lazy it looks like everyone agrees with the moveup anyway, just wanting to clear something up about jolt

also another thing, pretty sure the only reason to use trev is a choice band set like in ru. its bulk is basically so bad gourgeist is a far better physical wall so its niche is being a band attacker so supporting this change.

with the water vr, why is cloy a rank? not asking to move them or anything its just that personally cloy doesnt help in any mu (granted, i mainly used ss water which already does really well vs types like dragon flying fire etc that you think of when you ask 'what does cloy beat?') and looking at the other a ranks it doesnt seem to fit since water a rank looks like "these guys do well on any/most playstyles water wants to play".

ps you guys should move mega garde down in fairy so that when a user decides to make a fairy team they just take all the s and a ranks and boom, generic fairy! (jokes ofc)

pps srs now: mega garde might actually be able to move down in psychic (s to a) mega medi is now the premier psychic mega. if this is highly contriversial then maybe not but imo it isnt as good anymore as in the msab meta. also since balance is king and the premier playstyle mega medi and hoopa are basically op-but-no-im-not-calling-for-another-suspect and you lose out on that by running mega garde which imo doesnt wallbreak as good as mega medi (ok ill admit ive rarely used mega garde but iirc its a wallbreaker but sometimes it still gets walled by spdef super walls) and its much more fun to run the 2 best wallbreakers in the game and start taking lives :p (if other players who are better than me also think the same i might make a bigger post about this later but this might just look like a noobs ramblings to people in which case i wont continue it later xd)

pps tldr opp cost of using mega garde and not medi is too high and s > a rank for it

iLlama

(Electric / D->A)
(Fairy / B->C)
(Water / B->D)
(Ghost / C->A)
(Ground / A->D)
lol what?

(Water) - Way too niche of a Pokemon on SS Water teams. Is outclassed as both a Rocker and Swift Swimmer, and as Waszap said, it doesn't really provide anything better for the type. B -> C
(Ghost) - Trev's only sets rely on it being able to stall the opponents team and being a burden to kill, but in reality it's just a mon that needs to be carried on an already weak type. It can work in some scenarios to stall an opponent's momentum, but it is practically fodder against neutral and unfavorable matchups. Although Gourgeist has a different role than Trevenant, it is more useful in more matchups and is able to take more hits while still dealing decent damage. C -> D
(Ground) - MegaRupt has unbelievable wall-breaking potential and can be a huge asset with its Fire coverage and immunity to Will-o stall, but from what I see, that's all it is. It has the potential to be very good in some matchups, but if it isn't a matchup that it can thrive in, or at least not be ohkoed in, its usefulness starts to fade away. I never really understood why Mega Camerupt was A rank in the first place, actually. Landorus is a much better option in most scenarios and Mega Garchomp (whether it's Support, Special, SD, etc.) can be infinitely more useful, barring the grass matchup for both. Mega Camerupt's Speed tier alone screams B rank to me. It has proven to be a very good option for Ground in the past, but with the banning of Sablenite, its once high viability for option coverage has started to wither away. A -> B

With that finished, I would like to make a couple motions for unranked mons:

(Flying) Unranked -> C - I had wondered how matchups would differ if Flying was given access to a special set-up mon other than Thundurus or the off-set Togekiss, as well as a sleep option. With that in mind, I decided to test out Vivillon, and after using it both in OTs back in July and on high ladder, it's definitely capable of holding its own and being an interesting asset with Quiver Dance and much more accurate Hurricanes. It was also interesting to see how many users (Especially Psychic) struggled to handle a Flying team utilizing Sleep, QD, and STAB Bug. Obviously its dual-weakness to rocks and awkward speed tier can hold it back, but it can be a fairly viable option on some team builds nonetheless.
(Flying) Unranked -> C/B - After seeing Vivillon have some success, I decided to try out Yanmega. With its guaranteed Speed option, I figured it would make some matchups easier (Psychic, SS, etc.), and, well, it did. Pretty much the same results occurred as when I tested Vivillon, but I noticed how much more useful Speed Boost was compared to Sleep Powder. It was also nice not to have to rely on ScarfKiss and Tornadus-T for a strong Flying STAB. With its decent Physical bulk as well, its greater survivability than Vivillon made it ever more handy. It has almost identical issues as Vivillon, but its viability on Flying teams remains. I wasn't sure what rank it would work best as, because I feel as though it's a better option than most, if not all of the C rank mons, but might no be as useful as Tornadus-T or Thundurus-T. Realistically I could see it in either.

One last ranked motion:

(Water) C -> B - After using Seismitoad on Water for OTs, BLT, ULC, and on high ladder, I think it's safe to say that Seismitoad is a more than viable option for SS Water teams. Electric Immunity, Rocks, Mixed set options, Knock Off, Poison Coverage, and opening up your Mega slot for Gyarados or Sharpedo does a lot for SS. It can pack a hard punch with Life Orb and its awkward speed tier with and without Rain can also be difficult to manage.
+Max Speed Seismitoad = 271
+Max Speed Seismitoad in Rain = 542
+1 Scolipede = 532.5
Scarf Lati@s = 525
Deoxys-S = 504 lol
Overall Seismitoad is reliable and viable on SS teams and is most definitely deserving of a promotion.

Glad to be on the team :) Thoughts on the discussions of the week:-

(Electric / D->A) - Wasn't sure about Jolteon before but after reading some of the points from iLlama and Izaya., I definitely support this. Being able to function as somewhat of a status absorber is nice for any type.
(Fairy / B->C) - I've used Sylveon as a Choice Specs user a lot and I have to say, it's a great wallbreaker for Fairy. Most Pokemon don't like to switch in to a Pixelate and Choice Specs boosted Hyper Voice from this thing. It has Hidden Power Fire to threaten Steel-type Pokemon and Psyshock to threaten Poison-type Pokemon. With Tailwind support from Pokemon such as Togekiss/Whimsicott, it acts as a late-game cleaner as well. It can function in other roles such as Cleric too. Support this.
(Water / B->D) - Only real reason to use Kabutops is to use it in Swift Swim teams and even then, Mega Swampert outclasses it, as it has more Attack, better bulk, which allows it to set up Rain Dance easier. Support it dropping.
(Ghost / C->A) - Haven't really used Trevenant in Monotype and I don't see a reason to use it to be honest. It could work with a Harvest+Substitute+Leech Seed set but the increase of wallbreakers in the metagame isn't really doing any favors to it. Support.
(Ground / A->D) - One of the two worth using Mega Pokemon in Ground-type teams in my opinion but then again, Landorus can do the same thing it can with more Speed but loses out on Fire-type coverage. Mega Camerupt heavily pressures Grass-type teams and Mega Venusaur in particular, which Ground struggles against. Not really sure about this though, I'll discuss this with the others.
I Wouldn't Say Jolteon is worthy of A Rank maybe C though.

Vid

lol what?
I Wouldn't Say Jolteon is worthy of A Rank maybe C though.
Zarif's account was hacked so these aren't his actual thoughts.
With that finished, I would like to make a couple motions for unranked mons:

(Flying) Unranked -> C - I had wondered how matchups would differ if Flying was given access to a special set-up mon other than Thundurus or the off-set Togekiss, as well as a sleep option. With that in mind, I decided to test out Vivillon, and after using it both in OTs back in July and on high ladder, it's definitely capable of holding its own and being an interesting asset with Quiver Dance and much more accurate Hurricanes. It was also interesting to see how many users (Especially Psychic) struggled to handle a Flying team utilizing Sleep, QD, and STAB Bug. Obviously its dual-weakness to rocks and awkward speed tier can hold it back, but it can be a fairly viable option on some team builds nonetheless.
(Flying) Unranked -> C/B - After seeing Vivillon have some success, I decided to try out Yanmega. With its guaranteed Speed option, I figured it would make some matchups easier (Psychic, SS, etc.), and, well, it did. Pretty much the same results occurred as when I tested Vivillon, but I noticed how much more useful Speed Boost was compared to Sleep Powder. It was also nice not to have to rely on ScarfKiss and Tornadus-T for a strong Flying STAB. With its decent Physical bulk as well, its greater survivability than Vivillon made it ever more handy. It has almost identical issues as Vivillon, but its viability on Flying teams remains. I wasn't sure what rank it would work best as, because I feel as though it's a better option than most, if not all of the C rank mons, but might no be as useful as Tornadus-T or Thundurus-T. Realistically I could see it in either.

One last ranked motion:

(Water) C -> B - After using Seismitoad on Water for OTs, BLT, ULC, and on high ladder, I think it's safe to say that Seismitoad is a more than viable option for SS Water teams. Electric Immunity, Rocks, Mixed set options, Knock Off, Poison Coverage, and opening up your Mega slot for Gyarados or Sharpedo does a lot for SS. It can pack a hard punch with Life Orb and its awkward speed tier with and without Rain can also be difficult to manage.
+Max Speed Seismitoad = 271
+Max Speed Seismitoad in Rain = 542
+1 Scolipede = 532.5
Scarf Lati@s = 525
Deoxys-S = 504 lol
Overall Seismitoad is reliable and viable on SS teams and is most definitely deserving of a promotion.
Yanmega is not even close to B every single B Rank Pokemon outclasses it besides maybe Gyarados which should be moved down anyways. Comparing it to Thundurus-T and Tornadus-T there is no comparing at all. Then comparing it Aerodactyl you have ask the question does Yanmega make an entire playstyle viable on Flying. The obvious answer is no because it doesn't C Rank is best fit for it

Vivillon is a bit of different story as it is a worse Yanmega if it doesn't set up and the risk vs reward factor in using it is too great. Comparing it other C Rank Pokemon there is no comparison majority of them are just better heck even Work up Mega Pidgeot is better in most situations. Vivillon is like Sigilyph it can be a monster if it is set up, but it is often hard to set up. However Vivillon is a bit easier to up than Sigilyph is. So this one is kind of interesting but leaning more toward D.

Seismitoad I agree with you on this so No need to write a long response.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
I do support the vivillon nom because any help vs psy in this meta is good help. Idk about yanmega all the way to b though. I can't really fault you though because the b rank for flying needs to be sorted so it's understandable when comparing yanmega to gyara or something. I probably would've done the same thing tbh. But yeah with that being said and your comparison between yanmega and viv, I could see viv sliding in a D rabk spot since it faces that competition from yanmega.

I like the seis nom as well. I use it a bunch too and it is nice to be able to have that insta SS boost sometimes as opposed to using mega pert and waiting a turn. It also free's up a mega slot so you can use mega gyara to help out against psy which is nice. Defo is more usable than the other C ranks as well.

Vid

Change(s) Discussion #6
(Electric) B--->C
(Fairy) Stays B
(Water) B--->C
(Ghost) C--->D
(Ground) A--->B
Discussion #7
(Psychic) C--->B
(Bug) B--->A (Please note that Vivillon and Yanmega are same rank now on Bug and that needs to change either Yanmega goes up or Vivillon goes down)
(Flying) B--->C
(Ghost) B--->A
(Dark) C--->B
(Flying) Unranked--->C
(Flying) Unranked--->D
(Water) A--->B
(Water) C--->B

iLlama

Change(s) Discussion #6
(Electric) D--->C
(Psychic) - I'll be taking a bit of info from Bondie's latest post in "Revamping Monotype Events," but Celebi, to me, is a very matchup dependent Pokemon on Psychic. It thrives against Electric, Water, Ground, and Grass and makes the matchups much more in Psychic's favor and it works well when paired with certain builds, however it has pretty much 2 purposes: Stat Pass or Rocks and Bulk. Although this in turn limits its capabilities as well as its extensive list of weaknesses, it outperforms most, if not all the mons in C Rank, and definitely deserves more usage than it currently holds. Its Stat Pass spread alone is extremely dangerous and can give Psychic teams the edge over any type. C -> B
(Bug) - Yanmega is pretty dangerous on both Bug and Flying. Decent Bulk, paired with Speed Boost and good coverage moves can be a godsend in difficult matchups. However, it isn't exactly a necessity for Bug teams and its x4 weakness to Rocks can prove to be a pain. Overall I want to say that it is an A Rank mon on Bug, but I can't really say if it performs as well as the other A Rank mons which most of (excluding the Megas) are practical necessities for Bug teams. Will wait to see other points before making a decision.
(Flying) - Just saying it right away, but Gyara should be C Rank. There's no apparent reason to use regular Gyarados on Flying, besides water coverage, which is more or less a bonus for Flying, and maybe being neutral to Ice. Just use either Mega Gyarados if you want a Water Stab, Rock neutral mon and Ice resist, or if you want Char-Y, just use a different, better physical mon. B -> C
(Ghost) - Ghost is like a laceration. Anything that can even remotely slow the bleeding becomes vital to keeping the type alive. Doublade, with its physical presence, priority, set-up and decent stats is currently vital to Ghost. B -> A
(Dark) - Regular Sharpedo is a pretty matchup oriented mon as well. Depending on whether it's physical, special, dbond, etc., its use and viability differs between each team it faces. For instance, Special LO does extremely well against Flying, Psychic, and Dragon, but gets completely walled by Normal, Fairy, and Water. Overall its a good mon, but it is largely outclassed by its Mega and by Dark's other physical and special options. With that said it is a very niche mon, however it is definitely a B Ranked mon. It can be a great asset for Dark teams and is most certainly more viable than the other C Rank mons. C -> B

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Even though a while back I got viv to B rank I think it's worthy if a drop and when u compare it to yanmega it makes even more sense.

Yanmegas insta power and more reliable method of speed control are hard to pass up when deciding between the two. I also think yanmegas access to tailwind is a huge underlooked trait that does wonders for bug teams. It makes one of the metas best wallbreakers in mega hera so much more threatening than it already is. 86 physD is also really helpful against a meta where lots of common types have strong priority users. While we are on that topic, vivillon hates strong priority and again, there's lots of it. Your opponent has to play pretty poorly around viv to let it do heavy damage to teams. It's still a good mon to use if you aren't using mega pins and you need a wincon but it's hard to pass up yan atm.

Quick thoughts on yanmega rising as well. My issue with bumping it is that it only really works on mega cross bug builds. It's painfully redundant with mega pinsir teams since you already have flying coverage and you would be missing out on scarf cross or scizor if u decided to use it with pinsir which would be shit trades. Stays B for me.

- iLlama summed that up pretty well. C -> B
- what Wanka said :d Stays B
- Regular Gyarados is just a really bad pokemon to use on flying. As a setup sweeper, it's outclassed by Mega Gyarados and Dragonite. Its support is really terrible and has no reliable recovery. B -> C
- Ghost is pretty much the worst type rn. Doublade is its only reliable physical set up sweeper. B -> A
- What eien said here sums it up nicely. C -> B

e: forgot to mention this, why is Nidoking C rank on Ground? I definitely wouldn't compare it to the other c rank pokemon on ground. Its a really great wallbreaker and has great coverage. Can't compare it to lando because of the better speed tier and stronger spa stat, but i still consider nidoking to be the next best special wallbreaker on ground.
C -> B

Last edited:

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thoughts on the current discussions of the week:

(Psychic|C->B) - Celebi's best usage comes from NastyPass sets and that's all there is to it really. It definitely improves Psychic's matchup against Ground and Water (the two of which that have the edge over Psychic right now). Jirachi and Mew outclass it as Stealth Rock users. However, Celebi doesn't do much against other types and is kind of "deadweight" in a sense. It doesn't help with Psychic's Mega Sharpedo/Mega Gyarados problem either (if Colbur Berry is not used). It's fine at C rank. No.
(Bug|B->A) - I talked about Yanmega a while back in the first discussions of the week and I still stand by my post. It can heavily dent teams with Speed Boost and the right coverage moves. It should however, only be used in Mega Heracross/Mega Scizor teams as stated by Wanka. It can improve Bug's chances over Psychic, Fighting, and Water teams heavily. Definitely support this.
(Flying|B->C) - Even though regular Gyarados isn't seen too much, it still can function pretty well with a RestTalk set, as it has access to Thunder Wave. It also has Intimidate to threaten physical attackers even more. Although, as stated in the above posts, Mega Gyarados is far better than its regular forme as a setup sweeper or even with a RestTalk set. There really isn't any reason to use regular Gyarados over Mega Gyarados or Mega Charizard Y on Flying teams. Support this.
(Ghost|B->A) - On a struggling type like Ghost, Doublade is almost as good as it gets. Fantastic Defense which gets boosted even more with Eviolite and has access to moves like Swords Dance to increase its already high Attack, Shadow Sneak to somewhat make up for its horrid Speed, and Iron Head to threaten Rock- and Fairy-types. Support this.
(Dark|C->B) - Sharpedo is a very unpredictable Pokemon. It can run different sets such as physical, special, and mixed to adapt with the team. It is an excellent late-game cleaner and can dismantle certain types such as Psychic and Fire. But as iLlama stated, it is also pretty useless in certain matchups as well. Support this.

(Ground|C->B) - Nidoking is severly outclasssed by Landorus due to its high Special Attack and Speed but, Nidoking provides a wide array of coverage moves to deal with Ground's weaknesses. It is also the next best Special Attacking Pokemon for Ground. Definitely support this to rank up to B.

Thoughts on the current discussions of the week:

(Psychic|C->B) - Celebi's best usage comes from NastyPass sets and that's all there is to it really. It definitely improves Psychic's matchup against Ground and Water (the two of which that have the edge over Psychic right now). Jirachi and Mew outclass it as Stealth Rock users. However, Celebi doesn't do much against other types and is kind of "deadweight" in a sense. It doesn't help with Psychic's Mega Sharpedo/Mega Gyarados problem either (if Colbur Berry is not used). It's fine at C rank. No.
(Bug|B->A) - I talked about Yanmega a while back in the first discussions of the week and I still stand by my post. It can heavily dent teams with Speed Boost and the right coverage moves. It should however, only be used in Mega Heracross/Mega Scizor teams as stated by Wanka. It can improve Bug's chances over Psychic, Fighting, and Water teams heavily. Definitely support this.
(Flying|B->C) - Even though regular Gyarados isn't seen too much, it still can function pretty well with a RestTalk set, as it has access to Thunder Wave. It also has Intimidate to threaten physical attackers even more. Although, as stated in the above posts, Mega Gyarados is far better than its regular forme as a setup sweeper or even with a RestTalk set. There really isn't any reason to use regular Gyarados over Mega Gyarados or Mega Charizard Y on Flying teams. Support this.
(Ghost|B->A) - On a struggling type like Ghost, Doublade is almost as good as it gets. Fantastic Defense which gets boosted even more with Eviolite and has access to moves like Swords Dance to increase its already high Attack, Shadow Sneak to somewhat make up for its horrid Speed, and Iron Head to threaten Rock- and Fairy-types. Support this.
(Dark|C->B) - Sharpedo is a very unpredictable Pokemon. It can run different sets such as physical, special, and mixed to adapt with the team. It is an excellent late-game cleaner and can dismantle certain types such as Psychic and Fire. But as iLlama stated, it is also pretty useless in certain matchups as well. Support this.

(Ground|C->B) - Nidoking is severly outclasssed by Landorus due to its high Special Attack and Speed but, Nidoking provides a wide array of coverage moves to deal with Ground's weaknesses. It is also the next best Special Attacking Pokemon for Ground. Definitely support this to rank up to B.
That's pretty much where I stand, the only one I would disagree with would be regular gyarados. On teams that don't run its mega, it still has a few very handy sets, which includes the usual set up sweeper set, but I can also be a pretty good special defensive wall, spreading Para (it is an uncommon set, but nonetheless a very underrated one). I disagree with the popular opinion here, and feel it is a B ranked mon.

Reactions: Zar

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just wanted to chime in on Celebi.

In addition to what has already been brought up, it is also a good 'mon to put your Colbur Berry on. That lets it check m-shark (and water teams in general) with its Grass STAB. In particular, it runs a nice setup set with dual STABs, NP, and Recover, which completely dismantles most Water builds.
(Before someone complains, I'm not trying to take credit for coming up with this. However, it does work really well so I wanted to mention it)

Definitely support the rise to B-rank.

Vid

Discussion #7 Change(s)
(Psychic) C--->B
(Bug) Stays B
(Flying)B--->C
(Ghost) B--->A
(Dark) C--->B
Discussion #8-This discussion has some controversial changes so please be respectful
(Dark) C--->B
(Dark) A--->B
(Ghost) D--->C
(Psychic) A--->B
(Fire) A--->B
(Ground) C--->B
(Bug) B--->C

On mobile atm, so I'll make this short. I agree with all of these except Mega Tyranitar, it and Sharpedo (and Houndoom?) are the best Megas to use on Dark atm, and the stats show that. I think that should remain A ranked. Otherwise the rest of these I agree with.

Just going to give my two cents on Mega Ttar.

Overall the only thing that Mega Tyranitar does better than normal Tyranitar is Dragon Dance sweep. For Dark, Dragon Dance Tyranitar in short is not good and has limited viability as the amount of problems it causes from being used for that role is more than the benefits given from it. When using Dragon Dance Tyranitar you have to disperse the role of Stealth Rocker, Special Tank, and overall team support elsewhere. Sure you could say just run Dragon Dance with two attacks and Stealth Rocks, but if you're doing that then you might as well be running normal Tyranitar, since it can have recovery in leftovers or increased survivability in being able to hold a Chople Berry. The use of TTar as the Mega also means you lose out on being able to run any of the other Dark type Megas that give more reliable support to the type.

Now onto how well the Dragon Dance set even does in the meta. Right now according to the most recent usage stats update the most used types at high ladder are Steel, Psychic and Water. Considering the most used archtype for Steel is Hyper Offense the chance of Tyranitar DD sweeping that type is pretty small. Versus Psychic an argument can be made that it can have success but due to Mega Tyranitar's base 71 Speed its pretty safe to assume that you are going to take damage on the turn you get the first DD. Psychic tends to run a scarf base 100 Pokemon, most often being Victini or Jirachi. So in an optimal situation for the Dark user, you get a free Dragon Dance on their switch to Slowbro. Not only does Slowbro live the hit, sets with Colbur Berry have been gaining popularity so its safe to assume you're getting Thunder Waved. Sure you might be able to still get the kill on Slowbro but you're going to be revenged by w/e anti-dark measure the Psychic user is running after that whether it be Mega Garde or Mega Medi. Taking all that into consideration, there's also the fact that Mega Sharpedo outperforms it at beating Psychic teams. Finally vs. Water I'd give Tyranitar the award for being on par with any other mega since the type is known for the absurd amount of scald usage. Water also gets Swampert, and Keldeo to pretty much counter TTar and Rotom-W to soft check / burn it if necessary.

Of course those are only the types at the top of the ladder so moving on to 1630 stats the top types are still Psychic and Water which have been covered already but theres the addition of flying. This is the one matchup where Mega-Tar can actually do plenty for the type but overall it's still kind of detrimental to use because you could get the same advantage in the matchup by just running normal Tyranitar and Mega Sharpedo.

TL; DR- Support B-Rank Mega Ttar: Mega Tyranitar takes up too much opportunity cost and should be dropped a rank, its best set is DD since normal Ttar can play the support role better and still leaves the mega slot open for something actually useful.

Last edited:
I'm gonna give my opinion on Mega Absol before somebody beats me to it.

Out of Dark's 4 megas, I feel that there are three that work really well, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Houndoom, and Mega Sharpedo. Mega Absol is always the one left out for one good reason: everything it does is done better by another Pokemon. It faces competition for a mega slot from Tyranitar, who has the Rock STAB to deal with Bug types and helps against the incredibly common Flying, as well as a great ability for it and higher attack, Houndoom, who can also beat Bug types, has more bulk, Nasty Plot and Fire STAB, and Sharpedo, who is stronger with Strong Jaw-boosted attacks, has Water STAB and can get a couple of Speed Boosts before mega evolving.
What does Absol have going for it? Not much. It has high Attack and Speed but its bulk is nonexistent. 65/60/60 is terrible. As a glass cannon, it is outclassed by Hoopa-Unbound, and if you want to use your Magic Bounce to remove your hazards, you're better off with Defog Mandibuzz. It should stay in C Rank. To prove this, take another C Rank Dark Pokemon, Umbreon. It is completely outclassed in every single way by Mandibuzz, and as Mega Absol is completely outclassed by every other mega, it should stay in C Rank.

Disagree with Mega Absol. It's really bad and doesn't even beat Fighting because Mach Punch. Also, Mega Medicham 2HKOes it with Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock, which is sort of a problem.

Cofagrigus should bump up. Toxic Spikes are fantastic.

Anyway, I strongly disagree with Mega Tyranitar dropping. It is, in my opinion, actually the best offensive Mega Evolution. Players are so used to the old Dark and are still clinging to the Mega Sableye era teams. On offensive Dark teams, Mega Tyranitar is amazing because of how many types it just sweeps so easily. (Dragon, Flying, Psychic, Fire) Its great bulk lets it set up super easily even multiple times. Because people are so used to the only Dark teams, you think there's a huge opportunity cost because Tyranitar was the old Stealth Rock setter. I won't argue that Tyranitar is a good setter or that this is in fact a loss. But Bisharp is a fine setter as well and really should not be ignored. The standard SD set can just drop Swords Dance and still function quite well. Any offensive Dark team will choose Mega Tyranitar because you also want the sweeping of Sharpedo. Mega Sharpedo is not nearly as good because Mega Sharpedo + Tyranitar is a weaker offensive core than Mega Tyranitar + Sharpedo. So, Mega Tyranitar should definitely stay A.

If anything, Mega Houndoom should be dropping to B because it's nowhere near Mega Sharpedo and Mega Tyranitar's level. Mega Sharpedo is the go-to for balance Dark and Mega Tyranitar is superior for offensive Dark. There's no room for Mega Houndoom up in A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)