National Dex [Monotype] The Dragon Team That Could

yo! after being inspired to write my own first rmt by my friend ryan (go read his poison rmt btw good read) here i am.
this is a dragon hyper offense team that attempts to utilize screens + sub passing to sweep.

pokemon-cyclizar.png
baxcalibur.png
250px-0887Dragapult.png
72bee8e3be7ff19e143a61281b1b753e4b1c6cfb.png
784.png
250px-0635Hydreigon.png

Rational for choosing each team member:

this team starts with cyclizar as its one of the best HO pokemon dragon has, due to its great speed stat + sub passing. next up is baxcalibur, who i chose based on its ability to take advantage of cyclizars substitute, dragapults screens, and its generally helpfulness in a few MUs (namely ground, flying, and opposing dragon). next up is the screens part of the team in dragapult, very fast screens + twave/curse provides execellent opportunities for the team to sweep and also it slows down key threats in band chien pao and life orb flutter mane. next, i wanted a mega and a dragon immunity which leaves me with 1 option in mega altaria, not alot of justification needed for this pick as malt is about as good as its ever been but yeah, this pokemon provides me with much needed breathing room in the opposing dragon matchup. next is the extremely key kommo-o, this pokemon is very key in some matchups, biggest one being steel which otherwise is a very hard mu to beat for dragon. last is hydreigon who was picked because of its great breaking power with choice specs and psychic immunity. (this slot can be sub roost kyurem but hydrei is the one ive tested with more)

the sets:

if i say it, loud and clear would you hear me?
Good Care (Cyclizar) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shed Tail
- Rapid Spin
- Draco Meteor
- Knock Off

this is a pretty much standard cyclizar set, you can try taunt over draco meteor. spin keeps hazards off for baxcalibur, knock is nice sometimes
shed tail is a key part of how this team functions due to it giving free opportunities to come in for the sweepers (kommo-o baxcalibur malt)
draco meteor works as decent stab but you rarely ever click it

something feels wrong, something bout this place
Almost Home (Baxcalibur) @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Thermal Exchange
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Glaive Rush

loaded dice makes it so baxcaliburs icicle spear affectively has a 100/125 power. jolly nature specifically is used over adamant so you can outspeed stuff like scarf iron valiant at +2 where otherwise youd lose. the rest is pretty self explanatory, glaive rush is baxcaliburs best stab move and earthquake hits stuff like heatran that resist ice + dragon.

if you wanted nothing else from me i would pack my things and leave, honey
Nothing Else (Dragapult) @ Light Clay
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Curse
- Thunder Wave

screens are obvious, curse is a interesting pick i found when building as you can do stuff like curse after screens to get to your sweepers/cyclizar faster. twave can slow down stuff like band chien pao (ice shard does 97% max), flutter mane thats not scarf, and some other misc pokemon im forgetting. curse could possibly be will-o-wisp? i guess? its a option? but curse was generally so much better when i was laddering id say just do curse. para spreading on some misc sweepers is also nice.

would you mind it if im gonna call you my home, wouldnt mind it if i get to call you my home
Would You Mind (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Return
- Roost

Basically the same set as SS jolly is also required here as otherwise you cant outpace specs flutter mane at +1, not a ton to say really Dragon dance for boosting, roost for longevity, return for stab, and earthquake to hit steels like heatran that resist fairy. the dragon immunity is very important for the mirror match as otherwise itd boil down to who can take as many kills first (granted it stil does very much so but kommo-o and malt help atleast)

how do i get you again?, how do i get to you again?
Get To You Again (Kommo-o) @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Drain Punch
- Flamethrower
- Clangorous Soul

just about standard kommo-o, clangorous soul can also be taunt but i like double omni boosting more.
soundproof is a neat tech on mono dragon as kommo-os Z move, clangorous soulblaze is a sound move and is thus blocked by sound proof, giving you much needed breathing room vs opposing dragon if you cant mega altaria quickly.
flamethrower + drain punch can single handedly solo steel teams which is really nice for dragon.
clanging scales is your best dragon stab on this set, the defense drop rarely ever matter because of the consistent omni boost kommo-o can achieve.

i miss the white lies that i could cast to the side, without a shred of regret in my mind
Terrible Times <3(Hydreigon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
once again pretty standard specs hydreigon, flash cannon can probably be fit on this set but i never had a issue with mono fairy in this regard.
flamethrower + earth powed hit problem pokemon like corviknight and heatran. dark pulse and draco meteor are for stab and decent neutral if your pre choice locked into like, steel. hydreigon also works pretty nicely as a cleaner into defensive types like poison. having a dark type is pretty nice vs Z celebrate mons like jirachi or victini too.

to wrap heres a summary.
Summary: the main idea if you will, of this team is to set up screens with dragapult then sweep.
PS: your tapu fini + dondozo matchup is horrible also so do take note of that when playing (honestly would appreciate advice on how to get around this issue beyond just subbing in kyurem over hydrei if theres even anything)

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/bca4d46d19c7ac35
but yeah general advice on how to take this team higher, would be nice

Thanks for Reading!

Screenshot_20230131-124902_Chrome.jpg

forgot to put proof of peak when i originally wrote this but the black underlined account is the alt i used

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)