Tournament Monotype Team Rating Competition - Round 4 [Finals] (Won by Decem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

Approved by the RMT Leaders

Hosts: maroon | Eien
Welcome to the latest edition of the Team Rater Competition! The tier this time around will be USM Monotype. For each round we'll post a team, and participants will have one week to complete a rate of said team. When the round is over, the participants who submitted the best rates will move onto the next round. If you are eliminated and want to receive feedback on your rate, the hosts will be more than happy to provide that upon request. Each round will last one week. Failure to rate the team within the one week time period will result in disqualification unless you're able to give us a valid reason. Please only sign up if you can commit to rating one team every week for the next month. If you're currently involved in or are looking to start rating Monotype teams, I highly encourage you to participate as this promises to be a great learning experience. Here's to a fun and competitive tournament!

Important notes:
  • The top two rates from each round in addition to the rates in the final round will count towards the Team Rater badge
  • Each round will last one week. Failure to rate the team within the one week time period will result in disqualification unless you're able to give us a valid reason. Please only sign up if you can commit to rating one team every week for the next month.
  • Please submit your rates to the hosts via Smogon conversation.​
  • If you are eliminated and would like some feedback on your rate and how you can improve going forward, feel free to ask us.​
  • At the end of each round, we will announce the best rate from that round and a quick overview of what we liked in the rates submitted.​

Submit your rate via Smogon Conversation to me and Eien
The deadline is October 6th @ 11:00 pm EDT

Good luck to everyone!​

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
As we move onto Round 4, we wanted to highlight our favorite rate from Round 3; congratulations to Decem. Decem started off by changing Greninja to Grassium Z, which allows it to target Pokemon such as Rotom-W. Next he changed the moveset to better play against common types such as Water, Flying, and Ground with HP Electric, Ice Beam, and Extrasensory. Since Greninja no longer has Expert Belt it could not 2HKO Toxapex with HP Electric, however with the addition of Extrasensory it no longer has that problem. Since he took away Greninja's Choice Scarf he is weaker to Kommo-o which he fixed by making Krookodile the Choice Scarf user and giving it Rock Tomb, allowing then Greninja or Hydreigon to revenge kill it. He then changed Hydreigon's Dragonium Z to Black Glasses which allowed him to keep Taunt, making it easier to beat bulkier Pokemon as well as having a way to keep Krookodile's hazards up. Lastly he changed Alolan Muk to Poison Jab, which is a very minor change but it does allow it to take on Fairy-types with more ease. Overall this was a solid rate that gave the team some cool techs, while improving its matchups against more common types.
Hi maroon, that's a nice Dark team you have there, but I have a few recommendations in order to have a different approach to the team that will hopefully make it better.

>

Greninja @ Grassium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Extrasensory

My first recommendation would be to change Greninja to a Water killer set instead of the traditional Choice Scarf. Dark teams in Monotype have trouble beating Water because of the sturdy defensive core, along with offensive Pokemon such as Mega Swampert, Manaphy, and especially Keldeo making the matchup rough. However, Dark teams have a powerful tool in Greninja to tech for a lot of common types, and Water is one of them. This set aims to break past Water teams using Greninja's coverage in Grass Knot + Extrasensory + HP Electric, while Ice Beam is generally all around useful on Greninja because of how much it hits super effectively in Monotype. With Rotom-W being common as ever, Z-Grass Knot is needed in order to break past it and the defensive core, while not having Expert Belt means Greninja now fails to 2hko Toxapex with HP Electric, meaning Extrasensory is good on this set, and also hits Keldeo. HP Electric + Ice Beam helps with Flying, with HP Electric hitting Celesteela and the rare Mantine for super effective damage and Ice Beam hitting pretty much everything else. Grass Knot + Ice Beam puts in work against Ground, while Extrasensory hits Poison bar Alolan Muk, which Mega Tyranitar sets up on.

Rock Tomb / Pursuit > Taunt
>

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb / Pursuit

With Greninja now dropping Choice Scarf for Grassium Z, I think we can opt for a Choice Scarf Stealth Rock set on Krookodile for role compression. Choice Scarf allows Krookodile to serve as speed control for this team, outspeeding Pokemon such as Tapu Koko, Keldeo, and Zeraora while Stealth Rock is all around good for chipping down the opposition. The last move is a tossup, with Rock Tomb allowing Krookodile to slow down certain setup sweepers like Kommo-O and Dragonite for Greninja and Hydreigon to outspeed and revenge kill, while Pursuit is amazing for trapping Pokemon such as Alolan Raichu outside of terrain, Choice Band Victini, and other weakened Pokemon, helping greatly with the Electric matchup, as trapping Alolan Raichu means Krookodile now outspeeds the entire team. However, having Stealth Rock on a Choice Scarf Pokemon does mean you will need to play a lot more carefully when setting hazards.

>

Hydreigon @ Black Glasses
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Taunt

I really like Taunt Hydreigon on this team. Now that we've dropped Taunt on Krookodile for Rock Tomb or Pursuit, keeping Taunt on Hydreigon helps a ton with keeping Krookodile's hazards up, along with preventing opposing hazard setters from setting them too, as well as stallbreaking walls as it did beforehand. However, Greninja being the main Z-Move user on this team means that we can probably opt for a better item here on Hydreigon outside of Dragonium Z. I'd recommend putting Black Glasses on Hydreigon. Dark Pulse being the main spammed move with Hydreigon means that boosting it will be more useful than boosting Draco Meteor with Dragon Fang, while Life Orb means Hydreigon will be worn down a lot easier when trying to stallbreak. This allows us to run Taunt + Roost Hydreigon without having to rely on Dragonium Z, and can still break down types like Poison, Steel, and Flying for Mega Tyranitar.

Poison Jab > Poison Fang
>

Muk-Alola @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Recycle

Not much to say here, I just think Poison Jab's power is more preferred over Poison Fang's badly poisoning, being able to hit Fairy-type Pokemon such as Azumarill and Clefable for greater damage is pretty good. Also, Figy Berry would be better here as a pinch berry to mess up Choice Scarf Lati@s if they happen to Trick Alolan Muk instead of Iapapa Berry which doesn't do anything useful. Wiki Berry for Mega Scizor's Bug Bite doesn't work here because that means Alolan Muk gets confused while trying to consume it.

That's all the recommendations I have for your team. If you have any questions, feel free to message me on Discord (Decem#8776), Pokemon Showdown, or Smogon! :heart:

:tyranitar-mega: :krookodile: :mandibuzz: :greninja: :hydreigon: :muk-alola:
Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb / Pursuit

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Greninja @ Grassium Z
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Extrasensory

Hydreigon @ Black Glasses
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Taunt

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Recycle
And now, below is the team for Round 4:
:sm/dragonite:
Dragonite @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Dragonite is the Pokemon I decided to build the team around. It seemed to be a strong nuke, after a single Dragon Dance it can OHKO the bulkiest Pokemon such as Mandibuzz and Toxapex with Devastating Drake. Earthquake then helps Dragonite take on Electric- and Steel-type Pokemon such as Alolan Golem, Tapu Koko, and Heatran. Finally, Extreme Speed allows it to act as a good late-game cleaner being able to pick off weakened foes.

:sm/tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Defog

Tornadus-T is a pretty interesting Defog user, it can Defog away Stealth Rock for the team as well as being able to act as a pivot thanks to Regenerator and U-turn. Taunt allows me to prevent defensive Pokemon from recovering or spreading status, preventing slower Pokemon from setting hazards, and preventing slower Defog users from clearing Stealth Rock from their field. Rocky Helmet allows Tornadus-T to punish contact move users such as Mega Scizor.

:sm/gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 20 Def / 188 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

I decided to use Gliscor as my Stealth Rock user, as it has reliable recovery so it can easily set hazards again multiple times throughout the match. Since Tornadus-T does not have Knock Off I thought it would be a good idea to give Gliscor it allowing it to remove items such as Heatran's Air Balloon. Earthquake is a solid STAB attack thats prevents Gliscor from becoming to passive. Then I added Roost to give it a form of reliable recovery. I decided to make Gliscor a specially defensive spread to better handle threats such as Heatran, Mega Diancie, and Latios.

:sm/zapdos:
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Zapdos is the second Defog user of the team. It can Defog against Electric teams thanks to it taking neutral damage from Electric attacks. Volt Switch allows it to form a VoltTurn core with Tornadus-T, allowing them to pivot in offensive teammates such as Dragonite and Mega Aerodactyl with more ease. Roost is an obligatory move, allowing it to have a solid form of recovery, while Toxic allows me to cripple Pokemon allowing Dragonite to clean through teams easier late-game.

:sm/aerodactyl-mega:
Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Pursuit

I decided to use four attacks Mega Aerodactyl, as it allows me to pressure tons of Pokemon. Stone Edge and Earthquake support each other as Stone Edge hits Flying-types that Earthquake misses out on, while Earthquake takes on Steel-types that Stone Edge does not do well against. Ice Fang allows Mega Aerodactyl to become better in the Dragon, Ground, and Flying matchup being able to take on Pokemon such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Gliscor which would otherwise be able to beat it. Pursuit allows me to trap Victini, which can be a nuisance to the team with its STAB V-Create, making it extremely difficult to switch into.

:sm/celesteela:
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Lastly I decided to use Celesteela as my last teammate. Heavy Slam allows Celesteela to have impressive damage output even without any investment, preventing it from becoming to passive. Flamethrower allows me to take on Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, which the team has no good way to take on. Leech Seed allows Celesteela to have a decent form of recovery, which can also support its teammates. Finally, Protect allows it to take additional advantage of Leech Seed as well as being able to scout Choice locked Pokemon such as Latios and Landorus-T. I opted to make Celesteela physically defensive since Gliscor is already a solid special wall.

Dragonite @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Defog

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 20 Def / 188 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Pursuit

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed
- Protect

maroon

free palestine
RMT & Mono Leader
Thanks to everyone who participated in the first Monotype Team Rating Competition! I would like to thank Eien for co-hosting this alongside me and helping with practically every part of the competition!

Congratulations to all the Finalists (Clearly, Decem, and Felines) for making it this far. However, there can be only one winner, so congratulations Decem! Your rates have been solid throughout the competition, as you have gotten Top Rate 3 weeks in a row, including the current round!

Decem started by making Gliscor a Defog user, which allows the team to much more easily clear hazards against Electric teams, which gives Flying teams a much better chance in those matchups. Secondly he gave Gliscor Taunt, which allows it to prevent Pokemon from setting Stealth Rock or recovering their health. He also increased Gliscor's speed which allows it to take on a huge threat to Flying teams in Nidoking with just minor chip, and is able to OHKO Heatran after its Air Balloon is gone. While this does make dealing with Pokemon such as Mega Diancie and Latios a bit more difficult, their still is Celesteela which can take on both of those Pokemon. Next Decem goes onto focus Zapdos on being able to form a Defog and anti-Steel core with Gliscor. By making Zapdos Heat Wave it can threaten Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, while making it near impossible for any Steel team to beat this core or prevent it from clearing Stealth Rock from the field. Then Decem decided to remove Defog from Tornadus-T, due to the former two already forming a solid Defog core, being able to clear hazards on any non-Ice type Pokemon. He then gave Tornadus-T Knock Off, which in tandem with its bulk always allows it to live Victini's V-Create at full health (a major threat to Flying teams), due to it being able to Knock Off its Choice Band, or remove defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Porygon2's Eviolites. Decem then removed Ice Fang from Mega Aerodactyl to give it Stealth Rock, which gave the team a Stealth Rock user. While he did have to remove Ice Fang from Mega Aerodactyl making Dragon-, Flying-, and Ground-type Pokemon harder to deal with, he have Celesteela Toxic, which eases those matchups. Additionally, it allows Celesteela to apply tons of pressure to opposing teams without a reliable answer to Leech Seed and Toxic, wearing the opposing team down quickly, leaving room for Dragonite to sweep late-game. One thing that Decem changed was Fire Punch>Earthquake on Dragonite, which might seem fine if the team had no answer to Steel-type Pokemon, however he mentioned earlier that Zapdos and Gliscor can take on the type with ease. However, it kind of works anyway because in matchups such as Flying it does make the opposing Celesteela easier for Dragonite to break, incase Zapdos was not able to do that job. Overall, the rate was good and fixed the team for the better!
Here is Decem's rate:
Hi maroon, very interesting team. I have a few ideas for you to make it better in the current Monotype metagame.

Defog / Taunt > Stealth Rock / Knock Off
Running a faster spread

Lets start off with this. My first recommendation to make Gliscor a Defog user. Gliscor is an amazing Defog user on Flying teams because of its natural bulk, Poison Heal, typing, and access to Taunt, which lets it Defog on various defensive and even some offensive Stealth Rock setters alike. For a team like this where the main objective is to wear down the opposition and sweep with Dragonite late game, Defog Gliscor is a perfect fit to keep the pesky hazards off of the field, while Taunt lets you stallbreak certain defensive walls and prevent Stealth Rock setters from resetting their hazards once you've removed them. Stealth Rock Gliscor without Taunt is pretty awful too, as you have no way to prevent opposing Stealth Rock setters from getting up their hazards, which means you'll eventually be forced to Defog either way. I also think a faster spread would be the most optimal here, with Mantine falling out of fashion and this team not using it anyway, being able to outspeed threats like Heatran and Nidoking is good for this team and Flying in general. We also have Pursuit Mega Aerodactyl, so the 20 Defense EVs are not needed for Victini. 8 Defense EVs are an option to live Life Orb Bisharp's Sucker Punch after Stealth Rock, or even no Defense EVs to maximize the chance of living Nihilego's HP Ice.
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 80 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Roost

Heat Wave > Toxic

To compliment Gliscor's Taunt I think running Heat Wave on Zapdos would be good here. Taunt Gliscor allows it to really threaten Steel bar two Pokemon. Air Balloon Heatran, which is trapped by popped by Mega Aerodactyl's Pursuit, and Celesteela, which is where Zapdos comes in to PP stall it. Discharge over Volt Switch is also an option to spread Paralysis against Pokemon like Kommo-O and slow down faster threats for Dragonite to sweep. Discharge + Heat Wave on top of Taunt Gliscor should be able to easily dismantle any Steel team, with Discharge hitting Heatran and Heat Wave hitting basically anything else. Zapdos and Gliscor wraps up our Defog core, and should both be enough to support the rest of our balance Flying team.
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch / Discharge
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Knock Off > Defog

With Gliscor happily taking the role of an amazing Defogger, Tornadus-T is free to run Knock Off over it. Knock Off is great for hampering opposing Pokemon and again, allowing Dragonite to sweep with much more ease. Knock Off + Taunt lets you break down defensive Pokemon like Toxapex, Chansey, and Celesteela by removing their items and preventing them from healing. The last slot can be kept as U-Turn, or changed to Toxic. Toxic allows you to surprise certain Pokemon like Zapdos that could be a problem otherwise, while U-Turn is again good for the momentum.
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn / Toxic
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Stealth Rock > Ice Fang

As we've taken off Stealth Rock from Gliscor and made into an effective Defog user, the next best thing is to compress Stealth Rock on Mega Aerodactyl. Losing Ice Fang is quite unfortunate, but the other moves are much too valuable. Earthquake hits Mega Diancie and Tapu Koko, as well as Magnezone, which is pretty crucial, while Pursuit is amazing here to trap many threats Flying teams hate, such as Victini, Alolan Raichu, non-Choice Scarf Greninja, and Nidoking. Pursuit puts Nidoking in range of Gliscor's Earthquake too, which is very useful considering that's a huge threat to Flying with its Thunderbolt + Ice Beam coverage, and Stone Edge is overall useful because of its STAB. Pursuit + Tornadus-T along with the defensive presence of Celesteela and Zapdos with Gliscor's Defogging should be good enough to handle Psychic teams, just be wary of offensive Deoxys-S sets since those can be very dangerous because of the Thunderbolt + Ice Beam coverage.
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

Toxic > Flamethrower

Flamethrower is quite useless here on Celesteela because we're not worried about Steel or Grass at all. Zapdos + Gliscor beats Steel, and Zapdos + Tornadus-T both prevent Grass from doing anything. Toxic would be a much better option, being able to cripple walls like Porygon2, Rotom-W, and Zapdos especially for Dragonite's sweep. This set should run an Impish nature, as Relaxed is now unneeded because we only have Heavy Slam as an attack.
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Fire Punch > Earthquake

Last but not least, Fire Punch is a better coverage option over Earthquake on Dragonite. Fire Punch hits Steel-type Pokemon like Celesteela and Ferrothorn which may prevent Dragonite from sweeping, which is extremely valuable. Heatran gets hit hard by Z-Outrage, and with an Adamant nature, you don't even outspeed Tapu Koko at +1, while ExtreemeSpeed can take care of Tapu Koko at +2, and we'd rather keep the Adamant nature as the power is good for wallbreaking. Outrage and Fire Punch should be enough for Dragonite to serve as an effective sweeper.
Dragonite @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

:dragonite: :tornadus-therian: :gliscor: :zapdos: :aerodactyl-mega: :celesteela:
Dragonite @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn / Toxic
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 80 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Roost

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch / Discharge
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Protect

And thats it! With these changes, I've tried to keep the nature of the team by keeping Dragonite as a setup sweeper with many Pokemon, such as a reliable Defog user in Gliscor and status spreaders to support it. I hope you have success with the team and its new changes, and if you have any questions feel free to pm me on Discord at Decem#8776 or on Smogon and Pokemon Showdown. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)