Project Monotype POTW #17 Ticken

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Approved by the Monotype Moderator team
Taken over from Cam

Credits to SEO for the banner

During this project, I will be interviewing some of the most influential players in Monotype today whether it be based on their exceptional contribution to the metagame or their outstanding performance in tours. If anyone has suggestions on who should be interviewed next, feel free to PM me your ideas.

This week I am interviewing someone who's always been contributing to the Monotype metagame and is a familiar face to many. He's a well known Monothreat player and will be contributing to Monotype's development in the future with his prior experience.

Ticken

Tell us a little about your life outside of Smogon.
-My life outside is not that extravangent. Whenever school is in session I attend a community college 4 days of the week and studay/do hw as usual. However, outside of school work I try to play with friends when I can and interact with my family as much as I can to relieve us all of our stress. I do not have work but I try to help whoever needs assistance at school if I have the ability to.

What are you most known for within the Monotype community?
-That's a toughie for me actually lol. Most people nowadays probably know me as one of the most experienced in Monothreat or that one manager who tends to draft the same people in team tours. With both those being true, I have been on PS for over 6 years now so most of my other acheivements or milestones have been forgetten, even by me. I think I am also commonly referred to as nice to mostly everyone, someone who tries to always be creative/innovative/memey, and the most attentive to Wifi out of the Mono community.

What inspired you to play Pokemon competitively?
- Well ever since I found my love of Pokemon after receiving a GameCube with Pokemon Colosseum as my 1st grade Christmas present to share with my brother, I always found an urge to try and one-up him and my friends. Not until much later, however, I really took a liking to competitve after finding YouTube videos from KillerNacho, Kwandaoren66 (E-lo), and FlamingSpade to really teach me the ins and out of competitive play. Learning about IVs and EVs too were game changing because it changed the game from one dimensional to something intriguing after joining PS! for the first time.

What got you into Monotype?
- I got into Monotype relatively early. I was still only on PS! for a month or two at the time so I was really easily talked into trying different things so two friends of mine by the names of colonial mustang and Aelous2791 asked if I would want to do some Monotype matches, back in 2012. I eventually stuck with it because building Monotype really restricted teambuilding which helped me concentrate on ideas much easier than I experienced in both OU and UU. That combined with roleplaying as a GL (for about 3yrs) really sparked my interest early on.(edited)

Whats your favorite Pokemon personally and competitively?
-Bulbasaur and Lotad are my two personal favorite by a wide margain, if I had to choose one it would be Lotad of course. I am not too sure what started my love for it besides MAYBE remembering Miror B as my first legitamte Pokemon boss so his Ludicolos spark nostalgia whenever I see Lotad. As for competitvely, Kartana or Mamoswine are def near the top if not my top 2. I am known to be more of a balance user but I really do not have the patience for battling fatter builds so really offensively Pokemon like Kartana or unique wall breaking types like Mamoswine give me comfort while I build teams.

Whats your favorite type personally and competitively?
-Personally, Grass is one of my all time favorites. because it has some great Pokemon like Lotad, Bulbasaur, Venusaur, Celebi, and Ferrothorn to name a few. My favorite competitive type has changed over the years from Fire and Fighting, to Psychic and Ground now to Poison and Flying. Poison is an amazing balance type with plenty of walls and a solid amount of offensive Pokemon. Pokemon such as Nidoking, Crobat, and Nihilego are long time favorites of mine either because of coverage or roles they can perform. Flying was never truely a type I loved but it's grown on me probably because it has so many options for teambuilding. From stall to HO, maybe even Rain, I never feel uninspired with Flying. In a meta where most types tend to use the same six Pokemon. both these types can mix it up relitivly easily compared to the others.

Seeing as you've been on PS for more than 6 years, who are some of the people you've looked up to?
- I have had so many role models across my entire PS! journey because I have huge respect for people who get the job done right. It may come as no surprise but scp, Eien, and torkool are easily the most jaw dropping. Scp was the leader I looked up to after disassociating myself with leagues and welcomed me with open arms to help with the Monothreat scene. He's also the founding father pretty much for Monotype so huge props to him. Eien and torkool have too many accolades for me to descirbe, but their work ethics and unshakable mentalities are truely admirable.

As a player most known for playing Monothreat consistently, what do you think about the Monotype OM as it stands right now?
- In all honesty, Monothreat is one of if not the most intreguing formats to build creatively. I believe Monothreat is not an OM to host all year round because constantly building and coming up with new ideas is not an easy task so many players, I feel, do not give it an honest try due to the sheer amount of time you need to dedicate. Most of the people who run Monothreat with me are focusing on studies so the overall support is not as great as it once was.

Since Monotype Winter Premier has just started what are your thoughts on the current USM Monotype metagame as well as other OMs?
- The USUM Mono metagame is too balanced and optimized that it is relatively hard to be creative and is consequently my least favorite in terms of the metagame lineup. However, all the other OMs are not played nearly as often or are as optimized so there is a lot of crativity and innovative ideas to develop. This MWP specifically I am taking a back seat on assisting with Monothreat teambuilding so that other players can come up with their own ideas because even after a couple years I believe there is still tech to be found and used. Other OMs, AAA, STABmons, LC, and Ubers are not something you see everyday either so they are refreshing for me to watch and help build when I can.

Do you have any advice for people in the Monotype community that are trying to improve?
- My advice is always to work on your mental game. Your mentality is the foundation for every aspect of Pokemon from building to battling. Do not try to take every game seriously enough to rage because you can only do that for so long. Find your style, find your favorites and once you learn what you like and don't like, challenge yourself when you can. I find it hard for me to challenge myself and it is crucial for growing so try even if it is uncomfortable at first.

That's good advice, especially since MWP season is here, are there any upcoming players you think would be worth keeping an eye on?
- 110% the player I see as an up and comer is ToxaNex, or Nexecutioner on the forum. He's a smart man who knows how to build well and takes his time in both battles and teambuilding. He is also one of the most motivated Monothreat players I have seen in a while so that will definately help him improve faster than the average user.

Can you showcase a team that represents your style as a player and how to use it?

Uncle John (Abomasnow-Mega) (M) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 236 SpA
Brave Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Mushball (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Ingrain

Greensmith (Virizion) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bounce
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor

Romeo (Roserade) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpA / 132 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spikes

Vegeen (Tsareena) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Synthesis
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn

Spikey Ball (Ferrothorn) @ Occa Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 204 SpD -
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Iron Head

- This is one of my favorite teams to use in Grass Monothreat because it has everything I look for in a team excluding a Scarf user. In general, the team functions by saving Mega Abomasnow until late game to hopefully clean up with Blizzard + Ice Shard. Not too many teams run Mega Abomasnow and usually go for Mega Venusaur with or without a Scarf Abomasnow of their own. Because Mega Venusauri s so omnipresent, I decided to build a core between Synthesis Amoonguss + Rest Roserade to stop any pressure Venusaur may try to apply. Virizion is great for breaking through walls and a revenge sweeper for offensive threats such as Celebi. Tsareena and Ferrothorn round out the support for the team with hazard control, speed control, and U-turn momentum. Both arefairly bulky to sponge offensive or specially offensive attacks. Teams with Sticky web is known to give this team trouble however but it still shouldn't be too bad since every Pokemon besides Virizion is slow anyways! Fun team and I recommend it to anyone that prefers to use balanced archetypes.

Any last words you want to leave us with?
- Stay true to yourself no matter how different the path may be. Practicing what you love with people you admire is a dream for most but do not let your ego get in the way of approaching because as they say, you can only hit a homerun if you walk up to bat. Work smart and delegintly for what you want and there's no doubt what you aim for will be acheived!

This concludes my interview with Ticken! A huge thanks to him for his time for the interview! If anyone has questions for him feel free to ask him!

Last edited:

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Grats on your POTW! I have some questions for you:

1) What made you start playing Monothreat in the first place?

2) As someone who has been involved in monotype since the start, what era has been your favorite (meta wise but also community wise)?

3) What is your favorite part about PS? Do you have any particularly fond memories/moments?

4) Which of the pokemon games is your favorite to play?

5) I know you take breeding very seriously in the games, have you ever considered/attempted competitive VGC (outside of those monthly themed tours) ?

6) How have you managed to stay such a nice user? n.n

7) Finally, you've met a lot of people on this site, who are your top 5 and bottom 5 users of all time?

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
Grats on your POTW! I have some questions for you:

1) What made you start playing Monothreat in the first place?

2) As someone who has been involved in monotype since the start, what era has been your favorite (meta wise but also community wise)?

3) What is your favorite part about PS? Do you have any particularly fond memories/moments?

4) Which of the pokemon games is your favorite to play?

5) I know you take breeding very seriously in the games, have you ever considered/attempted competitive VGC (outside of those monthly themed tours) ?

6) How have you managed to stay such a nice user? n.n

7) Finally, you've met a lot of people on this site, who are your top 5 and bottom 5 users of all time?
1) Well, the first time I technically played Monothreat was when I had to defend my Gym spot as Fire leader so I built a Fire team to blatantly stomp the other for the bo3 set. Officially though a tournament was started on a side server which first coined the term "Monothreat" (Dark for the record) and I won that plus a couple later that week so I continued because I found the teambuilding enjoyable, I did surprisingly well, and the idea was unique for its time.

2) I have to say my favorite meta game at the time has to be ORAS because that is when the level of competition was really starting to increase and it never felt stale for me. This was also the era where I invested the most amount of time to battling competitively rather than just to pass time and have fun. Community wise is hands down BW because the community was extremely lax and was primarily focused on having fun more than raging about hax or roasting others for "fun".

3) My favorite part about PS! is simply the people I choose to associate with and the high level battling for team or individual tours. People like torkool and Zukushiku are who keep me coming back year after year. I can prob tell you like a minimum of 9-10 different fond memories ranging from BW-now. The gist of it is whether they are MPLs or ORAS day BoTLs, anything I do with my friends and some amount of stress will not be forgotten.

4) One quirk of mine is I really do not like doing the same thing twice, prob where my insistence on creativity comes from, so if I like a game, I will usually base it off of me going to replay it or not. There are only 3 games that I am willing to replay endlessly in the official games and they are (in no particular order because I love them all): Platinum, HeartGold, and White 2, not Black 2. For a side game, I <3 Pokemon Conquest. If any of you reading have not played it, I highly recommend!

5) I have given this some thought in the past and ultimately decided not to for a couple of reasons. 1) There are no local areas where I live that host VGC type events and I do not have the time or will to travel for them because of school and other commitments. 2) Breeding is fun for me and is my hobby. I would rather have a friend compete and I make their in-game team for them because helping make their team and cheering on my friend(s) would be more worth the time and effort. 3) Me no likey the doubles format of 4v4.

6) :o I never really thought of it as me being nice, rather, me being helpful and not disruptive. My personal nature is low energy and stubborn so I would rather not waste energy to go off on someone if there is no point to. Similarly, I am relatively stubborn so I try to not let people alter who I am just because they can or want to. I also don't really see a point in being mean when networking and building relationships help both parties out. :shrug:

7) :runner:
I usually try not to rate people because I tend to forget but it really boils down to the people I spent the most time talking to. For example, I do not think torkool and I have skipped a day of not sending a single message on Discord since we first met and we have nearly 90k total messages in our PM. Other users like Kammi, Ant, Sae, and of course Zukushiku are some of my best friends. I guess those 5? There have really been tooooo many people like The Great Unknown, Anarky, Delibird, (OGs will remember those two) colonial mustang, Ashaury, and so many more.

Last edited:

Ticken

is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
how did you come up with the name miner0?
can you make seasons come back? :(
miner0 originated from miner3, my first alt on PS!, when I was going for the voice challenge in LC back in 2013 iirc. When I first started I chose the tag "miner" because I prided myself on a mining feature on an RPG I long since then quit. Going back to the voice challenges, LC was the last tier before it went to randbats so if I failed, I would change my name. So I went from miner3 down to miner0 which made reqs and thus became my main alt for about a year according to the day I regged Ticken. (Felt longer than a year though.)

I didn't know you knew about Seasons O: I wish he would come back because his enthusiasm was infectious but I sadly don't have a way to contact him... Maybe sugarhigh or ben will know :shrug:

Ticken

B101 Leader
Which are your top 3 favorite monothreat types to play? And your bottom 3?

Which is your favorite OM that isnt monothreat?

What are you studying?

When are you proposing to torkool?
1) My top three favorites are: Dark, Poison, and Rock.
My least favorite are: Dragon, Fairy, and Fighting.
(Both in no particular order.)

2) Well, I do not play many OMs outside of Monothreat but AAA or STABmons look very interesting to me. I would have to say STABmons even though I have 0 idea how to play it, it just looks really cool as a viewer.

3) Right now I am undecided but I am looking into a web professional degree with an emphasis on design.

4) Similar to when people would ship me with Kamkam, it's not happening.

Lilymoding

formerly Kyosuru Jets
TICK TICK OMG THIS IS MY FIRST TIME LOGGING ONTO THE FORUMS IN MONTHS AND I SEE THIS Ticken my question for you is why haven't we talked more I missed u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)