Project Monotype POTW #16: Chaitanya

Cam

The Colby Covington Of Smogon
is a Tiering Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Approved by Eien
Taken over from KevinElf

(Credit to Seo. for the banner)

During this project, I will be interviewing some of the most influential players in Monotype today whether it be based on their exceptional contribution to the metagame or their outstanding performance in tours. If anyone has suggestions on who should be interviewed next, feel free to PM me your ideas.

This week I am interviewing a user who has had a lot of success in individual tours, managing to get to seasonal finals on his first attempt. Recently he had a positive showing in MPL and seems to have a promising future in the Monotype metagame.

Chaitanya

Tell us a little about yourself! Where are you from and how long have you been playing pokemon?

I grew up in California and moved to India for High school. Now I'm in college in Philadelphia pursuing a major in sports management. Started playing pokemon when I was a child till I was like 11 on the gameboy and found PS a little over 2 years ago.

What do you do outside of Smogon and ps?

I love sports so if I’m not in classes or getting drunk I’m generally doing something related to that, I can get behind just about any sport except golf lmao. I’ll watch quite a few tv shows too although haven’t had too much time for those lately.

How long have you been on PS and why did you join?

I first got onto PS around the beginning of 2016 when people in my grade would play during classes, so of course I joined them. I’ve only stayed cause I enjoy bullying the mono community.(someone said they’d be mad if I didn’t put this in here)

Was Monotype your first tier or did you play other tiers before?

I started with randbats but mono was the first tier I played seriously.

What brought you to the Mono community?

One of my irl friends got recruited to a league while on randbats ladder or something so he told me about leagues and got me invited to the one he was in close to the end of origin. It ended up being pretty fun so I’ve stayed around. Sadly he managed to quit and I haven’t.

You reached finals of Seasonals on your first run, did you have a lot of help or did you build your own teams?

I’ve always been a pretty independent builder and I just used teams I already had, spammed a mega pidgeot normal team which I'm pretty sure lost one time the whole tour and I’m sure I got a 'dude can only use normal' tag around then. Sadly I played so badly in the finals and choked 20 times and my ssnls runs/mono career has gone downhill from there

You were also drafted for MPL by Torkool and Tyke for the Surskits. Did you enjoy your MPL experience and how did you find your team and management?

Yeah I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would have, didn’t have great expectations for my team but we got closer to playoffs than most people would’ve guessed at the beginning of the season. Torkool was a good manager and Tyke supplied some cute pictures of his dog ;w; Lycan was really helpful and was a huge part of us being a win from playoffs. S/o’s to the rest of you too ya’ll were cool.

You had quite a positive record in MPL going 5-2. Did your team help a lot with prep and do you think that contributed to your positive record.

Yeah for sure, loads of people were down to test with me which helped a lot. When it came to building I built quite a bit on my own and Lycan + Torkool would help fix the kinks in my teams

Over your time on PS who are your favourite people you've met?

Delta/arbiter gang ya'll are alright ;w; If I had to name some in no order Vodoom(change your name back retard) waszap nailec zugu Kelf welchieboy brisked; recently met wyn and ticken but they're great too.

Is there anyone who influenced you a lot when you came to the monotype community?

Hmm There was Key7(registeel oras ladder hero) who was in my first league and was someone that I just couldn't beat as I 'mained' fairy. Kinda motivated me to get a better at this game and I did end up beating him a couple times before he quit yeet. Other than that not really, Watching TheThorn build/play some of his games is always fun, too bad he barely plays lmao

Could you show a favourite replay that you consider to be influential or particularly entertaining and give some context as to why?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-790698231

I like this cause as I mention later, I’ve really enjoyed using grass recently. It’s something I nicked from Thorn that I’ve been using quite a bit, real anti meta team and you can see Deci run through psychic which has generally been a really annoying matchup for grass. The lack of Charizard Y flying teams you see makes grass vs flying a playable MU, and grass overall has got quite a decent or at least playable MU vs most of the other top types.

What are your thoughts on the monotype metagame at the moment?

I really like it, I've seen quite a few people saying games are too long and boring and that it's a stale meta and whatever but personally I think it's great that the games aren't decided as much at MU, and while the tier has progressed to more fat builds, Bad MU's on paper really aren't that bad and I think that that's good for monotype. Ofc some MU’s will always be awful and all you spreadsheet goons can fuck off.

What is your favourite type to use currently?

Prolly grass, been using that a ton. Always have liked normal too but it’s fallen down the pecking order :/

Could you post a team that displays your playstyle and a short explanation on how to use it?
Venusaur-Mega (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Recover

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Megahorn
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Breloom (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Whimsicott @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain

I really like balance and this is a pretty weird balance grass team that I’m still messing around with. I’ve switched around the scarf to bulu and used pixie plate Whimsicott but I think I like band bulu scarf whim more. Scarf Whim is nice to clean up dragon, it’s pretty weak so you need to chip almost everything to get KO’s and I’ve always loved the power band bulu gives you. Megahorns backed by tailwind can dent psychic really nicely and if rocks are up victini can be played around. Rockium loom at + 2 is nice for mons like celesteela, mandibuzz, mega venu, staraptor and so on. I don’t like relying on sleep rolls and spore is just so obvious so you can bluff that as well. Haven’t really liked sash breloom cause it’s pretty hard to keep intact. The ferro, venu, cradily are pretty straightforward, hope people like messing around with this and stop sleeping on grass!

This concludes my interview with Chaitanya, thanks to him for taking the time to answer these questions with such detail. If anyone has any questions for him feel free to post them in the thread and if anyone has a suggestion for next weeks POTW then feel free to suggest them to me!

PS: sorry its late prosaic quit and he was going to be this week :(​

Last edited:

Vodoom

is a Tiering Contributor
MPL Champion
Gratz on potw, as ur MATH TUTOR for the past 2 semesters I am very proud of you ;w; I got some questions:

Fav moment on PS?
Do you watch camel racing?
Do you think brisked is the best mono builder?
How long will it take zugu to get banned from smogon and ps for talking shit?
Fav dark meme?

Gratz on potw, as ur MATH TUTOR for the past 2 semesters I am very proud of you ;w; I got some questions:

Fav moment on PS?
Do you watch camel racing?
Do you think brisked is the best mono builder?
How long will it take zugu to get banned from smogon and ps for talking shit?
Fav dark meme?
Don't mention math you illiterate terrorist.

Fav moment on PS? Idk man roasting people in delta is always funny as fuck, nothing stands out but I feel like there's something I'm forgetting.

Do you watch camel racing? Yes but I know you own all the camels rich fuck

Do you think brisked is the best mono builder? Yes Scald Belly Drum Azumarill is 1200 IQ, should start calling him Monotype Master Brisked

How long will it take zugu to get banned from smogon and ps for talking shit? Dude he's been so calm recently It's kinda scary. Like it's been 4-5 ladder tours he's gone without getting locked so it's probably all building up in there ;w; If he gets haxed in OLT that's goodbye loool

Fav dark meme?[/QUOTE] Can't post or I'll get locked lmao. There are too many good ones though, the world is a sick place

who is your favourite brownie in the monotype community and why is it me?
I've met a lot of brown people in this community and they just seem to get worse with each one I meet. Jk I think… my favorite is wyn because he’s cute and nice and smart but ferno took him so I guess it’s you…

Better monotype moment for you:
6-0ing me in BLT finals
Watching Brisked not qualify for mlt with his 12 alts
Me 6-0ing you wasn't much of a surprise for me so I guess it has to be Waszap's tutee miserably failing in mlt, that shit was way too funny, really sad too but I think he's learned from that experience so hopefully he qualifies next year ;w;

favorite stoner on ps?
why are u like 3-10 against me in oras ou?
Gotta be you lad. Mans even got cuffed would be disrespectful not to say you lmfao

and you have the oras record switched around, maybe you'll get a chance at redemption in a few years ;w;

Can you tell me one mon you consider underrated in the current metagame?
Eric's right I prolly would've said that, being able to help beat bulu, psychic esp w mega gallade, bug, water and poison as it gets recovery, ko's keldeo and not being affected by tspikes is so nice. Another ground immunity and uturn is neat so even though I think normal's fallen off a bit I think it's really slept on.
Ik you asked for one but other underrated mons imo are deciudeye on grass, gengar on poison, lucario on both types and Reuniclus

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Who sucks the most at Monotype and why is it me?
What do you think are underrated types or playstyles in the meta?
Could you explain your thoughts be on Mega Pidgeot if the new game had Gen 1 Hyper Beam?

Post the dankest possible meme in Surskits chat btw, no one cba to look there.

Who sucks the most at Monotype and why is it me?
What do you think are underrated types or playstyles in the meta?
Could you explain your thoughts be on Mega Pidgeot if the new game had Gen 1 Hyper Beam?

Post the dankest possible meme in Surskits chat btw, no one cba to look there.
Who sucks the most at Monotype and why is it me? I think all of the Surskits are pretty equally shit at monotype but Zarif and Kevinelf really stick out. Outside of that Brisked and his scald + bd azu can go to hell cause he is truly poor. Sadly according to Soma the rest of the community all equally sucks so I can't pick one person with that knowledge cause who can question the dragon master :/

What do you think are underrated types or playstyles in the meta? Grass lol. I think pex rain is underrated too

It's already the better mega ;w; I don't think I'd use hyper beam anyway, things are too fat -_- But it'd be very nice cleaning up endgame so it could see some usage

What does 'dankest' mean? really hate looking at urban dictionary every day for a new word 12 year olds make up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)