Project Monotype PoTW #15: ima (porkchopman)

Cam

The Colby Covington Of Smogon
is a Tiering Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Approved by Eien
Taken over from KevinElf

(Credit to Seo. for the banner)

During this project, I will be interviewing some of the most influential players in Monotype today whether it be based on their exceptional contribution to the metagame or their outstanding performance in tours. If anyone has suggestions on who should be interviewed next, feel free to PM me your ideas.

This week I am interviewing a Manager from MPL IV and someone well known in many communities for skilled playing and innovative building.

ima

Tell us a little about yourself, Where are you from and how long have you been playing Pokemon?

Howdy everybody who is reading this. My name is ima, or some people would know me as pork chop man and I am from Las Vegas, the city of gambling and risk taking and I've been playing Pokemon since 2011, during the BW days. I have a strong passion for this game, and I like to make people laugh/question why in gods name they're friends with me/be on my bullshit. I want to study law/computer science and I'm a musician! Check my soundcloud for covers. https://soundcloud.com/user-775035811

What do you outside of Smogon and PS?

I work out a lot as of recently and I work hard to study and get good grades for my asian parents so I can become a millionaire when I grow up. My dream goal is to become a musician and maybe one day become famous but it's gonna be really tough to get to that position so I'm just focusing on realistic goals (MAYBE ONE DAY). I also played a bit of football, so I'm a big deal.

Why and when did you join Showdown?

Back in 2011, my Mom gave me a game called Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver. I thought oh cool I never played pokemon before, so I began playing it and literally my whole playthrough was just me leveling up a Typhlosion and nothing else. Everything else was a pidgey with fly and level 4. I ended up beating Champion Lance with a pidgeys quick attack and I decided I was a pokemon master. So I looked up places where I could battle, and that's where I found this place called xat, which had a ton of people asking for battles and that's when I joined showdown. I was quite the nooblet but as time passed on I would be able to beat everyone in the chatroom I was in, and then I started laddering and, three years later I made my first RMT and my first smogon "Pork chop man" with my RMT.

What brought you to Monotype when you did join?

One day while exploring the site of showdown I found out there was a side server named Frost. I was like woah, there's a lot of people here and the community is active and people have CUSTOM AVATARS. So I was in immediately. I didn't know the main thing was monotype until someone by the name of Alliance - Haxnova approached me and asked me to try out for his new clan, called Alliance. They told me to try out with a monotype team, so I made one in five seconds. My opponent for my tryout was none other than Soma, and I low kicked a hydreigon predicting the switchin with my bisharp and suddenly Haxnova thought I was a genius. So I played monotype since then, and I joined Alliance, Unity, AM, and I've been in X for probably 3-4 years. I even have the replay, https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oumonotype-762358 . I became a better player during those times and I'd like to thank the monotype community cause if it wasn't for their activeness then I would probably have left this game. And if you didn't know, Haxnova is Dethroner. I was one of the first Alliance members and that is an accomplishment. I am destiny.

What are your favourite types to use in the Monotype tier?

Are you trying to scout me?? My favorite types are Dark and Flying because I believe if you play both of them correctly then you can win any matchup ever. And I like to outplay my opponents. That being said please don't scout me.

You've been a part of the mono community for a long time and are recognised as a great player and innovative teambuilder. What do you think of the current metagame in monotype and what other metas do you enjoy?

I'm glad people have finally adapted to Wincons cancer flying stall team, because this metagame is FLAMES right now. I feel like you can use anything and get good results. And the innovation in this tier is off the roof in my opinion because you can build around so many things and get your name out there. Water is garbage right now so that's cool and probably dark/fairy/flying/psychic are the best types right now.

You were a manager this recent MPL, how did you find the managing experience, did you get on well with your team and did you enjoy MPL overall?

Managing was pretty okay, I feel like I messed up hard in terms of timing and players. World Cup was starting around this time and I had way too many subs on my team (my fault) so I eventually got pretty bored after the first four weeks and I think the team just started falling apart. I just started focusing on WCOP and I ended up making finals! And almost won a trophy, having it be a tiebreak and getting to game 3 of that tiebreak against the best world cup team in the world. Overall though, I don't regret any of my buys because I feel like everyone on that team has the absolute potential to shine, and I did have a fun time with them! I hope everyone from my team gets picked in other mono team tours in the future.

What players have influenced you in your time in the monotype community and how?

Honestly has to be TheThorn, I feel like he's the sensei of monotype and he knows a lot of things. He inspires me to be a better player and I think its come a long way. Also probably Eien because of his builds and he's exactly the team player you want to be around in a team tournament, and he's good to look up to.​

As someone who managed in MPL did you see any newer players that stood out to you that are up and coming in the monotype scene?

During tryouts I saw a lot of people with tons of potential. Harpp was probably the most successful of them all, finishing with a super strong record and proving himself. I think smub has great potential as well to be up there, if he joins another team tournament then I think he should focus more on being active and helping others, but doesn't change that he was really good on my team in MPL and I would most definitely love to team with him again. Not during MPL, but during this MLT I saw a new face in the name of Feitan the Steam. I think he's really good and will shine ahead of the others one day. He has great potential and I hope he does well in his bracket. Also don't sleep on Decem, I tutor him and one day he will be a pokemon master.

Over your time in the mono community who are some of the favourite people you have met?

Everyone in WoA, everyone in Unity league, and a special shoutout to Ridley. We've come a long way since MWP and it's such an honor being friends and teaming with you. You're an amazing guy with a bright future ^^.

Could you showcase a team that shows off your preferred playstyle and give a brief overview of how to use it?

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Toxic

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Superpower
- Outrage

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Imprison
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick

I know this is really old, but I really think this is one of the greatest teams I've ever created and still super strong. The point of landorus is to stop opposing mons to stop rocking, and if they outspeed you then you can counteract with another mon on the team like hawlucha. Once you deny the rocks, you explode into a sweeper and win. Dragon is probably the toughest matchup but is managable with celesteela. You can change dragonite into dd lum if you want to beat water easier as well! This team has had a lot of great showings in tournaments, qualifying with it in last MLT and my game vs. King Billu during MLT playoffs, it completely dominated the metagame. You can even replace landorus with landorus-incarnate if you want to outspeed krookodile on mono dark, and beat normal easier with the spam of knock off on p2 / chansey. Please ask me questions! https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-644534915

This concludes my interview with ima. Thanks to him for taking the time to answer all these questions with such detail. If anyone has any questions they would like to ask ima feel free to post them in this thread!
If anyone has any suggestions for next weeks Player of the week please feel free to suggest someone!

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello ima, what is your favourite offensive and defensive core to use in Monotype Metagame and why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)