Monotype Player of the Week #14: Wanka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Approved by scpinion
Based off of other potws

Banner by Acast

Hey everyone and welcome to the fourteenth installment of Monotype Player of the Week!

This week I have a well known player and Monotype room voice; Wanka! Before we get into it, this will be a weekly thing where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to contact me on PS. Anyway, let's get to it!

Wanka

To start off with, tell us a little bit about yourself.
- My name is Chris, I'm 17 and I am going to be a senior in high school this coming fall. I have a passion for playing soccer (futbol) and am going to be playing it in college at a Division III level. I also just really enjoy watching and talking about other different sports so if you ever want to have a good convo with me just start talking about American football or baseball and I'll get balls deep into it. School wise, I'm looking to get an Accounting degree in college with an MIS (Management Information Systems) background. I also just enjoy hanging around with my childhood friends outside of mons and school.

What is your favorite Pokemon?
- Favorite mon would probably be heracross and its mega evo. I just really love the combo of bug / fighting as it is really good in single player and competitive play. A close second would be vivillon because I just love all of its cool designs and its a fun mon to use competitive wise as well. I guess I just really like bug types in general, it's 100% my favorite type.

How did you get your username?
- Well my first username was OG_Wanka (Original Wanka) and I made it that because I took PS as a joke when I started playing it and I didn't think I'd get balls deep into it so I just made some stupid ass name. I tried to cut it down as much as I could so it didn't make me look as much of a retard without losing my identity. I've been playing too long to get a full name change so I told myself I'm just going to embrace it even though it's still is kinda dumb lol.

How did you get into Monotype?
- Well I started off as a UU main for a good while when I started playing PS and I was a voice at the time. Arifeen had also recently gotten voice in UU and he was friends with a lot of my UU buddies and we became good friends ourselves. One day he took me and my buddies to the nimbus server where he was admin and he gave us a room to kinda just meme in and fuck around. I peaked around the server a bit but didn't take it too seriously. Then shortly after, I built this mono fighting team with the help of some of the mono resources and I laddered with it a bit. Still didn't think much of it but I challenged Arifeen one day and I actually managed to beat him somehow and since he saw that I had battling experience form OT's, he kinda thought I could pick up mono pretty easily so he invited me to tryout for The Aftermath League. I got in and AM was like an accelerated learning process for me since there were so many good players in AM. To this day I still credit a lot of my success in mono to Sabella because he basically took me under his wing when he was already accomplished and raised me up through the community and tought me what I know about mono. Compared to a lot of players I'm still somewhat new to mono because I wasn't around for XY or BW. I lucked out in being around the greats at first because I for sure learned this meta quick.

What do you feel you're most known for?
- Probably co-leading the VR thread with vid and dongfluxx and being a member of the QC team. I also had a pretty nice run in this past mpl so that got me a bit of recognition as well. I guess I was also one of the main vocal leaders for not wanting hoopa banned so people probably saw me trying to defend it on the subforum.

What is the Pokemon you use the most?
- Probably keldeo since I use SS water a lot and I still like to experiment with fighting even though it's not as good. Specs keldeo nukes so many types and it's so hard not to have on water and fighting teams with that notion holding true. It's also fun to experiment with it on water teams by using LO taunt sets or stuff like splash plate or rest talk.

What is your favorite type to use in Monotype, and what is your favorite type overall?
- My favorite type to use would for sure be bug. It's not as good without gene but I'm still somewhat glad gene got banned because it made me realize how fun it is to experiment and build with bug. There's nothing more enjoyable than being able to just build fun HO teams that are all unique and actually decently effective. If I am looking to hammer out wins consistently than I would probably say my go to type would be water. Preferably SS because it doesn't have a lot of bad matchups and neither does water in general.

What playstyle do you prefer?
- For sure Hyper and Heavy Offense. I just really enjoy having to play on a razor Sharpe edge. One good play and I can open up a game winning sweep or one misplay and I can put myself up shit creek without a paddle. It's also the most fun style to build. There are endless possibilities with HO as opposed to balance where you find yourself using the same cores over and over.

How do you feel about where you stand in the community right now?
- I think I've done a pretty good job for myself. I was really happy I did well in mpl and that I'm able to be an influential part of our subforum being on the QC team and VR team. I'm not done yet though. Like I said, I'm still new compared to a lot of accomplished players and I want to win more. I've been getting decently deep into tours which has let me be able to keep my status but I want to take that next step and try and win one of them.

Are there any players you looked up to when you were starting out or still look up to?
- As I said before, Sabella was probably my main mentor when I was knew to the meta. I basically knew I was low on the totem poll and he wasn't so I just listened to everything he told me. Someone else I also looked up to as a battler was Zukushiku. I always thought nobody could beat him in his prime and he was such a fantastic builder as well. Hopefully he comes back because he could be a top 5 player if he wanted to.

Any players that you think are underrated and that we will see a lot from in the future?
- There are some decent players from other servers who sadly don't realize how nice it would be to include themselves into the main community but hopefully they figure it out someday because it would be nice to enlarge mono's player base with more talent. Other than that, some of the players who got into the MLT tour were some newer faces and it was nice to see them get their names out there. There are definitely going to be some newer faces in this coming mpl so stay tuned for that.

What advice would you give to newer players?
- Fail, fail, and fail some more. You will not get better if you don't. We all have to start somewhere and if you are scared of losing and learning from your mistakes then you will never improve. Also, don't pigeon hole yourselves into just one type. There are a lot of viable types in monotype and you can become a much more rounded and better player if you are able to use multiple types and be good with them. Being a good battler helps but being able to prep and be versatile goes way further than being a good battler. You will succeed if you are unpredictable and able to prep. The battling aspect will fall into place at that point. Don't be a shithead either. Nothing pains me more than seeing a newer player who actually has a lot of potential but is a complete ass clown to other players for no reason. If you just be a nice person and give respect where it's due you will be happy in this community. If you are an inherent ass to others, don't expect to spoon fed, it's that simple. Use the resources on the subforum as well. They are super helpful if you want to learn the meta quick. Specifically, use the teambuilding workshop, please, it's basically free teams and who doesn't want free teams.

What are you looking forward to in Gen 7?

- I haven't been following too closely about specific mons. I've kind of just been nitpicking at what others are figuring out but there will for sure be a massive meta shift and it will be cool to see how it shifts. I guess I'm also looking forward to any new mons bug gets [:

To finish things off, could you share a team with your favorite type and playstyle and give a short explanation for it?
Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Toxic
- Encore

Armaldo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Atk / 20 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Sleep Powder

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Seed / Earthquake
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Volcarona @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is a bug team I recently made. It has some unorthodox sets on it like scarf volc and the viv set but it actually isn't terrible and its really fun to play with. I really like using shuckle as a lead and its pretty standard so nothing special there. AV maldo controls hazards and can dish out some decent damage. I use the combo of viv + scarf volc to beat steel as viv can lure in heatran early in the game and then volc can clean up everything else. scarf volc is also just a nice lure to take out threats that bug hates dealing with like the lando's and garchomp. Mega cross is one of the best wall breakers in the meta and it really appreciates webs support so I always love using it. The scizor set isn't too special other than the item. just your standard SD zor but I don't like passive damage with Life orb so I decided to use Iron plate. BP still gets the same KO's it would with rocks up from what I've experienced and knock off and Spower don't need Life orb to 2hko / Ohko the mons it needs to. It's also a nice band bluff and can get you a free SD sometimes.

But yeah it's a really fun team to use and it has been giving me some decent success even though it's unorthodox.

Well that concludes this interview, feel free to ask your questions down below!​

Favorite S/M mon so far?
What types do you think are going to be a lot better in S/M? Do you think any types will get noticeably worse?
Any typing combinations you would like to see in S/M?
And a non-mons related question, what position do you play in soccer and how long have you played?

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Favorite S/M mon so far?
What types do you think are going to be a lot better in S/M? Do you think any types will get noticeably worse?
Any typing combinations you would like to see in S/M?
And a non-mons related question, what position do you play in soccer and how long have you played?
That new raichu form looks fucking dope as hell. Thats probs my favorite so far.

At a glance electric could get a nice buff with that raichu and other types like dragon, ground, fairy and psy look like they might get better with some of the new mons coming out. I don't think ice is going to get any better tbh. Alolan ninetales has the most redundant typing for competative play and I don't really see sandlash doing much for ice either unless it randomly gets an insane speed tier.

Dark/Fairy mon when ;_;

When I hit 12 years old I played central midfield until I was about 16. After my sophmore year in highschool though I started playing outside defender a lot more. I still like playing CM and I still play it sometimes but the competition at that position is way too good for me to be able to play it in college. The kids I would be going up against are just absolute filth at CM. I can stand out at an outside defender position though and the switch really helped me when I was trying to impress college coaches so I got a few offers at that position.

If you were to change 1 thing, and 1 thing only in the community, what would it be and why?

Who are your favorite people on staff? (I hope its me hehe :P)

How are those Italian Hoagies (or Subs as you Philly people call them)?

akaFila

butterscotch love
If you had free range to design a new Alolan form for any Gen1 mon, what would it be?

Simple bans or Complex bans?

Post Sun/Moon, rather see Gen4 or Gen1 remakes? Kanto would be lit af with today's gameplay

Wanka

UUPL Champion
If you were to change 1 thing, and 1 thing only in the community, what would it be and why?

Who are your favorite people on staff? (I hope its me hehe :P)

How are those Italian Hoagies (or Subs as you Philly people call them)?
Since we have a giant raw community I guess I would probably want more people to use the subforum because I don't think it gets used as much as it should with the amount of people mono attracts.

lord skeeeep, 6ti, paleo, vid, eien, clearly, dirpz (stole my ravioli). Ur pretty cool too stun

Hoagies are great. if anyone lives near a primo hoagie restaurant, I highly suggest the italian diablo.

If you had free range to design a new Alolan form for any Gen1 mon, what would it be?

Simple bans or Complex bans?

Post Sun/Moon, rather see Gen4 or Gen1 remakes? Kanto would be lit af with today's gameplay
Id probably make golduck some dope ass water/psychic mon with high speed and special attack and just like torrent or smthn. That would be pretty cool.

my heart says complex but my brain says simple

eh fuck gen 4 tbh. It's next in line for a remake but gen1 would be way cooler for sure.

Do you support a football(soccer) team or watch it?

Do you have any advice for someone wanting to get better at teambuilding? This can be just for mono or for any tier.

Wanka

UUPL Champion
Do you support a football(soccer) team or watch it?

Do you have any advice for someone wanting to get better at teambuilding? This can be just for mono or for any tier.
I watch a lot of bpl and my fav team is probably west ham right now. I watch MLS too but it isnt as high of a level so it gets boring sometimes.

As far as teambuilding goes. In monotype it is hard to be creative and still consistently successful. It's a lot easier to just throw on generic mons for a respective type and have good success. At that point it's just a matter of challenging yourself to go outside of the box and try some different mons on your builds. A good thing to do when trying to be creative is to just have the VR rankings close by and just knife through the rankings for whatever type you want to build. I like to maybe pick a b or even c rank mon and then figure what its commin set is in whatever OT it's in and analyze how it might do against some of the most common mons and types in mono. Sometimes ofc those sets won't work in mono because the meta will affect them in a different way. But just taking the time to think about how certain mons abilities and typings can impact the meta goes a long way and then it's just a matter of putting a supporting cast around what ever you want to build around.

Official tiers tend to follow traditional teambuilding patterns more closely. The idea of just wincon, support either offensively or defensively, type control, hazard control depending on your support you are providing, etc etc. Monotype follows a similar pattern but it follows it a lot more loosely than OT's. Chances are you won't be inherently good at building for OT'S right away so the emphasis on utilizing rescources is very high. Lots of OT's have tutoring programs which help a fuck ton. There aren't really any secrets that newbies can pick up you just gotta work and work at it and utilize resources as much as u can. Failure comes with that work but you have to embrace it and use it to learn. We all have to start somewhere ya know.

sup wanka, which tier do you like more; monotype or UU?
MonoUU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)