Monotype Player of the Week #13: Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Approved by scpinion
Based off of other potws

Banner by Acast

Hey everyone and welcome to the thirteenth installment of Monotype Player of the Week!

This week I have a very good player, probably among the best; Ridley! Before we get into it, this will be a weekly thing where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to contact me on PS. Anyway, let's get to it!

Ridley

To start off with, tell us a little bit about yourself.
I’m just your average teenage guy. I like to play basketball and video games, I’m also an avid disc golf player.

What is your favorite Pokemon?
Gliscor! I really like its design, and it’s also a very fun mon to use. It’s also one of the only Mega Diancie checks flying has lol.

How did you get your username?
It’s actually my irl name! My first username though was Mega Ridley, and I started playing right when Mega Pokemon were introduced, so I thought it fit perfectly.

How did you get into Monotype?
Freshman year of HS, my friend Trace Sederwall (AR Bitch Trace) introduced me to Pokemon Showdown. We started playing every day during class, and so did a lot of our friends. One day someone from our school got us banned, so we had to find something else to do. That’s when I found Frost. As most of you know, Monotype was the main thing on the Frost server, so that’s when I started to play. Right away I joined a few leagues and met some long time friends (datlaxus and TheYellowAce), then ended up joining The Aftermath League. That’s where I met some of my best friends from the community (Ashaury, CrazyClown94, Booty Deluxe, and many others) who I am still close with to this day. I’ve been playing ever since!

What do you feel you're most known for?
Probably for having the best GXE on the monotype ladder and for my performance in MPL 1. (Ambitious Altarias for life!!)

What is the Pokemon you use the most?
Either Mega Gyarados, Azumarill, or Keldeo. They are all super good offensive Pokemon that are huge threats on both of their types.

What is your favorite type to use in Monotype, and what is your favorite type overall?
I know I’m gonna sound standard, but Flying, Water, and Psychic are my favorite types to use right now. All three of these types have so many options and have decent or better matchups against almost every type in the meta. Fairy is also really nice to use rn because it is pretty anti meta and has a good matchup vs all of the top types. Flying will always be my favorite type because it’s what got me started in the competitive scene of monotype, and it has so many options and can run so many different archetypes.

What playstyle do you prefer?
I prefer bulky balance teams because I love having strong offensive cores and defensive cores to compliment them.

How do you feel about where you stand in the community right now?
I am not really sure where I stand in the community right now lol. I like to think that I am in a well standing, but I haven’t really done much for the community recently other than taking part in the recent suspect tests and making a very small amount of forum posts. I am always there to help people in the Monotype room if it is ever needed as well!

Are there any players you looked up to when you were starting out or still look up to?
Right when I started, I looked up to Pk-Kaiser and Sabella. They were the premiere battlers of the time, and they were both super helpful to me when I needed it.

Any players that you think are underrated and that we will see a lot from in the future?
SirSkit and Clearly are both older players that are sometimes overlooked, but they are still both super good and huge threats in tournaments.

What advice would you give to newer players?
Play. The best way to get better is to play games on ladder, in tournaments in the Monotype room, or just playing with friends. It is also very helpful to get a tutor. (It would be dope if we got the tutoring program back up and running!)

What are you looking forward to in Gen 7?
I’m really looking forward to new Pokemon to shake up the pretty stale meta we’re playing rn.

To finish things off, could you share a team with your favorite type and playstyle and give a short explanation for it?
This is the team I just used in my Battle Royale match vs. Misaka Mikoto. It is a fun team that doesn’t use any choice items (which were banned in the last round of Battle Royale) and it has a lot of powerful pokemon that can break a lot of teams.
Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Slide

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Well that concludes this interview, feel free to ask your questions down below!

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...
out of the pokemon revealed, which Sun/Moon pokemon are u looking forward to the most?

Ridley

lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
out of the pokemon revealed, which Sun/Moon pokemon are u looking forward to the most?
I'm really looking forward to all of the alola pokemon! If I had to choose just one, it would probably be exeggutor

Did you get reqs for the hoopa suspect? What are you voting/what would you vote?
Favorite video game?

Ridley

Did you get reqs for the hoopa suspect? What are you voting/what would you vote?
Favorite video game?
I did! I am leaning towards ban, but I haven't really decided yet. I hate how it just ruins some match ups, especially the psychic one. It takes the fun out of the game for me.
I would consider myself a Nintendo guy, and my 2 favorite games are Pokemon of course, as well as the Super Smash Bros series!

Attribute

HYPNOS | pulp
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Cup Winner
1.) have you ever beat the teambuilder at rock paper scissors?
2.) who is more likely to lose first in a game of hot potato in woa?
3.) thoughts on hp steel victini?

Ridley

1.) have you ever beat the teambuilder at rock paper scissors?
2.) who is more likely to lose first in a game of hot potato in woa?
3.) thoughts on hp steel victini?
1.) I have twice! :^)
2.) Probably raj, but if it was hot curry, he would win for sure.
3.) According to the fire GoD Zarif, it's the best Mega Diancie check, so it must be good!

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
1. Who's the most innocent WoA member and why is it Attribute?
2. Who would win in an irl fight between wyn and zarif + his butler?
3. Which WoA member would you prefer to MoA your lawn?

Ridley

1. Who's the most innocent WoA member and why is it Attribute?
2. Who would win in an irl fight between wyn and zarif + his butler?
3. Which WoA member would you prefer to MoA your lawn?
1. Attribute is cleaner than Mr. Clean himself!
2. All he does is wyn wyn wyn no matter what...
3. We all know Mexicans do it best, so my boy Ashaury of course!

Top five NFL quarterbacks heading into this season?

Opinions on Matt Ryan and the falcons?

Who on PS is most like you?
If you could compare yourself to a celebrity, who would it be?

Ridley

Top five NFL quarterbacks heading into this season?

Opinions on Matt Ryan and the falcons?

Who on PS is most like you?
If you could compare yourself to a celebrity, who would it be?
1. I would have to say Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady (after he comes back from his suspension), Ben Roethlisberger, Drew Brees, and Cam Newton.
2. I think Matt Ryan is a great quarterback, but sometimes he needs to realize that he has more WRs than just Julio Jones, and to throw to them when he is in triple coverage lol.
3. I would say that CrazyClown94 and Dak Prescott are most like me because we have a lot of common interests.
4. Probably the director Ridley Scott. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)