Project Monotype Battle of the Week! [MWP Hiatus]

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
won in 2, got pretty good mu's both games much love and respect brotha

https://pokepast.es/acefcd525611a85d
Eien gave this to me a while back and I had used it in some tours i got a chance to play oras in here and there but I kept getting unlucky with mu's and it struggled. However, I think vinc is a pretty underrated mon in oras and even though it didn't do jack in our game, I think it could have if I really wanted it to. It's a pretty fun mon to use though and the only two things I changed were water stab to sub on pedo because I like the sub/crunch/fang combo vs psy and dragon and you can find sub opps in both mu's. I also just made band zu knock over s power because I liked the reassurance against psy. I dig this team a a lot because it feels like it's really fast paced, but you still have ways to slow down and check things and tenta is a great filler mon even though its damage is dong.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6monotype-827764424 g1
Got a pretty decent mu here, there were ways I could have lost, but I think i did my best to make sure I didn't let him catch up because I think if I would have played too passive than that rachi set and scarf zone might have stolen it. pert looked like a good lead at a glance so I got rocks up and dipped because I didn't want it to get too low. tenta didn't really do shit and I wanted to kill shit as fast as i could so i doubled out of it instead of spinning to hopfully get rid of the rachi but he saved it and sacked tran which was fine. I hydro'd the bisharp because I didn't want durant to chip my team at all because I felt like I needed everything healthy and if I got the 80% chance I put myself in the drivers seat. I had no switchins for av rach but azu is a champ and av rach isnt that strong so I claimed another and from there I played pretty simple to close the game out. got a drop with pedo but between that and a couple scalds it would've been tough for skarm to stay healthy and keep spiking so pedo and pert closed that game out.

https://pokepast.es/c5e9d994ef70eac0
Wanted to throw it back with bug and I felt like it matched up well vs paleo except for the potential threat of fly, but I was pretty confident vs water, steel, or psy with this. Pulled water and I got way too comfortable being up 1-0 in the back of my head and I ended up almost losing to a 50/50. I chucked my galv to die for no reason when it was a huge threat after I already did a lot of damage with hera, which was something I was pleased about. The 3 mon core of yan + volc + mcross can cover so much and you can make a lot of ways to breakdown some types so I really enjoyed building with them again. I wanted sub cross to pull a lot of the weight vs water and felt like sub seed and a jolly nature would dunk pretty hard on water and I let volc and yan cover steel, psy, and hp ice on yan was support for scizor vs drag and hp ice is just nice to have for landos on both types,chomp on both types, and d nite on both types. Even though they're specific mons they're premier threats bug always has to deal with so I feel like it's ok to do even though sometimes there's other shit I feel like using there. One thing I was meaning to do but forgot about was giving scizor some bulk and I think you can and it might actually be better, but I gotta test that out. Really fun team to build and glad I was able to still win even though I lost consciousness for a turn and almost threw.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6monotype-827766481 g2

glad i got a chance to play thanks for staying up even though I missed our time !_!

(smub, ssalbap, decem)

Edit: like this post if you think eien a whole bitch for not voting for ssalbap after last week

Last edited:
Won in 2, sucks that Game 2 had a misclick on Beta's part, but otherwise enjoyable.

https://pokepast.es/74f227c2f197a487
This is the team I made with Quantum Tesseract during BLT last spring. It went undefeated during that season, mainly because it does extremely well against many of the top tier types in Mono STABmons. Azumarill is naturally amazing as a Spore switch-in and complete counter to Curse Cradily. It's also nice as a hazard remover that doesn't care about Ferrothorn whatsoever. Specially defensive Toxapex is much better in the metagame compared to physdef, since it's able to avoid a 2HKO from anything Mega Pidgeot has, and can beat Tail Glow Yanmega 1v1 from full health with the combination of Toxic+Haze. Also eats a hit from +2 Cloyster and can attempt to Toxic or Haze that, which is really nice for Water teams. There isn't much to say about Specs Keldeo: Water Spout and Steam Eruption are just insane coming off of it. Mega Swampert's pretty important as the Stealth Rocker for the team, and the decent switch-in for Choice Band Aerodactyl. Rotom-Wash is nice as a bulky pivot that can directly switch into and force out Mega Mawile between Spore and Strength Sap. Finally, Cloyster's on the team as the late-game sweeper. With what it gets in STABmons, it can basically invalidate Ground teams right away, and is an extremely huge threat against Water and Flying if it gets safely set up. Waterium Z is nice for nuking Celesteela.
Game 1: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-829607445
Playing around Celesteela can be pretty annoying, especially since it eats the Water Spout and chips my Keldeo hard, and that I have no idea from team preview if it's carrying Toxic. Azumarill is used as the sleep fodder for Mega Pidgeot so that Toxapex can switch into and 1v1 it, which later becomes a problem when Skarmory and Landorus-T start pressuring with hazard stack. Salamence was just an insane threat if it ever set up a Dragon Dance, which is why it was amazing when Keldeo got rid of it before it could do that. Yanmega gets stopped by Toxapex when it's given a safe switch-in, and with Stealth Rock chip damage, Cloyster is able to take the late-game without even setting up with Shell Smash.

https://pokepast.es/fc1d8ec10b1c7579
This is a team I made a while back. It's not exactly the most common type, but after testing it a bit, I do think that it can do decently well in the metagame. Bulky Garchomp+Mega Altaria form a nice defensive core for the team, with Garchomp being the Stealth Rocker and Rock resist for Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Altaria being the hazard remover and a decent crippler with Beak Blast. Kyurem does an incredibly good job of threatening Water with a LO Freeze-Dry, a nice replacement in that matchup compared to the banned Kyurem-B. Latios is just great speed control with great STAB moves to take advantage of. Thunderbolt is nice for nailing Mega Pidgeot after Stealth Rock, and makes sure Celesteela doesn't directly switch in. Since Kommo-o was already the Z-move mon, I wanted to try something different with Dragonite, so I made it DDance+Lum Berry. The Lum Berry helps it get past Beak Blast mons like Celesteela, which is really nice for the Flying matchup. As for Kommo-o, Bulletproof is also helpful for blocking Beak Blast, and its coverage does a lot for the Normal and Steel matchups.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-829611015
Unfortunately I didn't get to use a lot of the sets due to Kyurem+Latios carrying the entire game. He did make a misclick by bringing in Swampert against my Kyurem, who basically removed anything that wasn't Keldeo. Latios's Thunderbolt was nice for 2HKOing Araquanid on the switch-in, and getting rid of Cosmic Power Mega Slowbro.

These games were pretty fun, I hope I can play another OM in these

Last edited:

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Update peeps: I'm going to be gone for the weekend going into a bit next week due to some really hectic business, so my forum activity will be strictly limited. Thanks to Week 6's battle being done so early however, I'm going to open up the Nomination Stage for Week 7 while I'm gone until Wednesday, the 7th. The tier is USM Monotype. Thank you all for your continued support, and I apologize in advance for any inconveniences.

Nominating Cam, Lax, and Sabella.

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Voting is done! The top 3 nominations are as follows:
Thorn: 10
Leru: 7
Sabella: 6

As a result, this week's battle is TheThorn vs. Leru! Same Sunday deadline, post your time in the thread, etc. Good Luck~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)