National Dex Monotype: A Team About Nothing (Poison)

Hello all, first time posting a RMT for NDM. This team is a defensive poison team that attempts to answer the metagame as a whole.

1675231095480.png1675231099423.png1675231106987.png1675231118512.png1675231121948.png1675231126056.png

Rationale for choosing each member:

The team began with Glimmora, which was a new Pokemon that I was fascinated by. Its ability Toxic Debris allows it to passively set up toxic spikes while attacking or setting up Stealth Rock. I chose the rest of the members based on their ability to stall out the opponent as they succumb to toxic spikes or their ability to remain resilient in the face of the attackers of the tier. I needed a ground immune mon, and chose levitate Galarian Weezing for the job. Next, I needed something to deal with setup sweepers, and decided to use Z-Haze Toxapex, which allows it a 1 time combination of a free heal and haze, which could be lifesaving in certain situations. Next, I chose a psychic immune in the very specially bulky (especially with assault vest) Muk-Alola. Muk also played the role of a pursuit trapper. Next, I chose Venusaur-Mega as it is probably the best poison type mega for defensive purposes. With its thick fat ability and ground neutrality, Venusaur is able to handle many common types that would usually be neutral or super effective against poison, such as water, ice, fire, and ground. Slowking-Galar was a natural next choice because of its insane special bulk and ability to set up lose-lose situations with future sight. It additionally bolsters Muk's special bulk.

Sets:
1675231179627.png
1675231183970.png

The Big Salad (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Yada Yada Yada (Toxapex) @ Icium Z
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

Generic Pex set, my friend gave me the idea to add Z-Haze to remove boosts and heal Toxapex.

Crazy Joe (Muk-Alola) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Clear Smog

Muk is a great special tank and pursuit trapper. Knock off is used for stab and utility, pursuit leverages its great matchup against dark weak Pokemon, Poison Jab is an alternate stab with a high chance to poison in conjunction with Poison Touch, and Clear Smog can remove boosts in an emergency.

It's Your Uncle! (Weezing-Galar) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Strange Steam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Pain Split

Weezing is a physically defensive answer to several Pokemon. It notably improves the dragon matchup and can use will-o-wisp to burn steel types or boots Pokemon that are immune to Toxic.

Serenity Now! (Slowking-Galar) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 12 SpA / 248 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Future Sight
- Ice Beam

Slowking-Galar is an excellent special tank with Assault Vest, and can force lose-lose situations with future sight, such as the opponent needing to switch in a greninja to absorb the future sight but having to face a Venusaur Giga Drain or Toxic Spikes.

Sponge-Worthy (Glimmora) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Mortal Spin
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power

Glimmora brings some offensive prowess to the team, as well as the ability to passively and automatically set up toxic spikes in the face of physical attackers. Speed and Special attack are used here in conjunction with sash because Glimmora is quite frail already.

Summary:
This team is meant to abuse Glimmora's ability to set Toxic spikes through its excellent longevity and answers to many Pokemon on the attacking spectrum.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/8e9c2d238340990a

Attachments

Last edited:

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hello all, first time posting a RMT for NDM. This team is a defensive poison team that attempts to answer the metagame as a whole.

View attachment 488482View attachment 488483View attachment 488484View attachment 488486View attachment 488487View attachment 488488

Rationale for choosing each member:

The team began with Glimmora, which was a new Pokemon that I was fascinated by. Its ability Toxic Debris allows it to passively set up toxic spikes while attacking or setting up Stealth Rock. I chose the rest of the members based on their ability to stall out the opponent as they succumb to toxic spikes or their ability to remain resilient in the face of the attackers of the tier. I needed a ground immune mon, and chose levitate Galarian Weezing for the job. Next, I needed something to deal with setup sweepers, and decided to use Z-Haze Toxapex, which allows it a 1 time combination of a free heal and haze, which could be lifesaving in certain situations. Next, I chose a psychic immune in the very specially bulky (especially with assault vest) Muk-Alola. Muk also played the role of a pursuit trapper. Next, I chose Venusaur-Mega as it is probably the best poison type mega for defensive purposes. With its thick fat ability and ground neutrality, Venusaur is able to handle many common types that would usually be neutral or super effective against poison, such as water, ice, fire, and ground. Slowking-Galar was a natural next choice because of its insane special bulk and ability to set up lose-lose situations with future sight. It additionally bolsters Muk's special bulk.

Sets:
View attachment 488489View attachment 488490
The Big Salad (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Yada Yada Yada (Toxapex) @ Icium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

Generic Pex set, my friend gave me the idea to add Z-Haze to remove boosts and heal Toxapex.

Crazy Joe (Muk-Alola) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Clear Smog

Muk is a great special tank and pursuit trapper. Knock off is used for stab and utility, pursuit leverages its great matchup against dark weak Pokemon, Poison Jab is an alternate stab with a high chance to poison in conjunction with Poison Touch, and Clear Smog can remove boosts in an emergency.

It's Your Uncle! (Weezing-Galar) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Strange Steam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Pain Split

Weezing is a physically defensive answer to several Pokemon. It notably improves the dragon matchup and can use will-o-wisp to burn steel types or boots Pokemon that are immune to Toxic.

Serenity Now! (Slowking-Galar) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 12 SpA / 248 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
- Future Sight
- Ice Beam

Slowking-Galar is an excellent special tank with Assault Vest, and can force lose-lose situations with future sight, such as the opponent needing to switch in a greninja to absorb the future sight but having to face a Venusaur Giga Drain or Toxic Spikes.

Sponge-Worthy (Glimmora) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Mortal Spin
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power

Glimmora brings some offensive prowess to the team, as well as the ability to passively and automatically set up toxic spikes in the face of physical attackers. Speed and Special attack are used here in conjunction with sash because Glimmora is quite frail already.

Summary:
This team is meant to abuse Glimmora's ability to set Toxic spikes through its excellent longevity and answers to many Pokemon on the attacking spectrum.

Importable: https://pokepast.es/8e9c2d238340990a

Hello :blobnom:
Personally, I find Poison be pretty bad this gen (until bans settle, at least), due to the lot of unwallables in this tier right now (M.Maw, Chien Pao, Kingambit), on top of the staples last gen that would handily break up this team (NP Hydrei and M.Gallade (now also Base Gallade is a contender)). No Ground-type also means that Regieleki/Choice Specs Zapdos zooms all over this team, and with this team being very passive...yea, fun.

I'll try to make changes to this team, but it is currently beyond me as of now on how Poison can wall every threat possible. So, sorry for that in advance.

:glimmora: -> :clodsire: / :nidoking:
Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
Clodsire @ Black Sludge
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab / Low Kick
- Recover
- Curse / Stealth Rock / Spikes

Since this team is all about playing the long games, its best that the members are sturdy enough or provide a measure of defensive utility so that you arent walling 6 opposing mons with only 5 of yours. If one wishes for a more offensive inclined Pokemon, Nidoking is still here, though less viable due to the sheer number of faster threats (fortunately you still outspeed Gholdengo for the team). Alternatively, if you want to go all out wall, use Clodsire. The selected EV spread lets you not get 2HKO'ed by Choice Specs Zapdos. Poison Jab / Low Kick is up to you, as Low Kick provides more immediate damage on Kingambit and Hydreigon, while Pjab lets you hit the aforementioned Zapdos, on top of threats like Galarian Moltres, Hydreigon, and stuff, surely. Curse is nice for being a strong late-game win condition, while Stealth Rock provides the much needed entry hazard chip that this type forces unto most types due to its annoying defensive core.
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Clodsire: 208-246 (44.8 - 53%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

:weezing-galar: -> :crobat:
Crobat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Atk / 4 SpD / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Toxic / U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
The more consistent Ground switch-in due to its access to more reliable recovery, Infiltrator Toxic to murk stinkers such as Substitute Kyurem, and the Speed to delete stuff like Mega Gallade in a pinch? Crobat almost blows Galarian Weezing out of the water with these benefits. Since we removed entry hazard removal because we deleted Glimmora, we have to add it here. U-turn lets you keep momentum in case of Gholdengo coming in to block Defog. 112 Atk EVs kills Mega Gallade from full, Speed lets you outspeed Iron Valiant, the rest goes to bulk so that it wont crumple too easily. You could adjust this to outspeed Cinderace, just take SpD, HP EVs as needed.

112 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gallade-Mega: 278-330 (100.3 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Minor suggestions / Cat thoughts:
:venusaur-mega: Leech Seed or Earth Power over Sludge Bomb makes M.Ven more annoying, especially in matchups like Steel and Water.

:toxapex: Toxic Spikes is worthy of consideration as we dont have Glimmora to do that for us now. This goes over Toxic.

:muk-alola: Drain Punch or Fire Blast may be considered, as part of the agenda of chipping Kingambit / blanking on Ferrothorn. This goes over Clear Smog if ever. Shadow Sneak also lets you pick off Flutter Mane and Alolan Raichu, but Flutt is unlikely to beat muk in the long term anyway...

This is the rated team
I hope this helps you if ever, and feel free to ask questions if anything feels odd

Edit: I forgot about Chien Pao, but the only ways Poison feasibly deals with this is removing Galarian Slowking for something like Choice Scarf Iron Moth or Choice Scarf Glimmora. Since swapping out Galarian Slowking is almost always a net loss into other matchups, I did not suggest this change. In the case you have to run into a Chien Pao, hope that its not band Psychic Fangs, or SD Crunch as Toxapex would wall it that way :toxapex:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)