Media Metalheads Thread III

What's with all the sudden hate for Mastodon? They seemed pretty underrated to me and apparently in the span of a week now they're "Overrated" and "Just cookie cutter garbage"....people realize they've been around for nearly two decades right?
They've been very popular for as long as my memory goes (Crack the Skye release). Certainly not underrated.

I've always been lukewarm towards them but from what I've heard they kind of moved away from metal on their last few releases so that's probably what people are complaining about.

They've been very popular for as long as my memory goes (Crack the Skye release). Certainly not underrated.

I've always been lukewarm towards them but from what I've heard they kind of moved away from metal on their last few releases so that's probably what people are complaining about.
I was under the impression they were one of the bigger metal acts since the turn of the century.

I'd consider myself a fan of their's (seeing them and Gojira in a couple weeks), and it's not so much their shift in style that bothers me (still metal, just not very heavy) than the fact that two out of their last three albums were simply pretty bad. Once More Round the Sun was pretty decent, not as good as their previous work but still decent, but The Hunter was insufferably boring and Emperor of Sand was an abomination. I would've said that their music was still stylistically similar to Crack the Skye, but somehow the song Show Yourself exists *shudders*

What's with all the sudden hate for Mastodon? They seemed pretty underrated to me and apparently in the span of a week now they're "Overrated" and "Just cookie cutter garbage"....people realize they've been around for nearly two decades right?
Mastadon? Underrated?

that's a good one.

they're boring as fuck and have been for a long time.

Recently heard Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness" for the first time. It's entry-level Death to be sure, but it's still really sinister. The opener and closer are classics to be sure.

entry level isn't necessarily negative, altars is a stone cold classic and one of the best dm records ever. I might not even consider it entry level since it's not exactly accessible, what with its twisted riffs and labyrinthine song structures. it's pretty much ground zero for liking the genre though so that's good. before I go recommending stuff to follow up with, what else have you heard?

I never necessarily meant entry-level as a negative thing. I like complex song structures in almost all genres, so maybe that's why it appealed to me. I rock a lot of Black and Prog metal. Agalloch's "The Mantle," Ne Obliviscaris's "Portal of I," and Deafheaven's "Sunbather" are all among my favorites. As far as death is concerned, I've listened to Death's "Symbolic" and "Human" as well as individual songs from Gorguts's "Obscura."

leprosy is far and away the best death record, I'd get that. obscura is incredible, give that one a complete listen. also they're not death metal but if you haven't heard slayer, all of haunting the chapel/hell awaits/reign in blood are essential

other important dm:
possessed - seven churches
deicide - self titled
amorphis - the karelian isthmus
carnage - dark recollections (if you like this, get into the swedeath scene with dismember, grave, grotesque and whatnot)
massacra - final holocaust

the mantle is great. get pale folklore + ashes against the grain. agalloch isn't really like your more traditional black metal though, not nearly as harsh. maybe try ritual by master's hammer, it was a forerunner for the infamous norwegian scene but doesn't pack the insanely poor production I think might turn you off a little.

I usually don't like prog metal but opeth's blackwater park is fantastic

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
im not usually ever into metal these days but lately my coworker has been sharing some cool albums with me and i was looking for some other similarish stuff

really been feeling igorrr - savage sinsuoid and shining - blackjazz, anyone know of stuff like that? i love the crazy exoticness of it and am looking for metal that maybe incorporates more than just blistering speed on an 8 string or blast beat drums or whatever, incorporating things like a sax solo or in igorrr’s case opera singing and haunting string sections is really cool to me

im not usually ever into metal these days but lately my coworker has been sharing some cool albums with me and i was looking for some other similarish stuff

really been feeling igorrr - savage sinsuoid and shining - blackjazz, anyone know of stuff like that? i love the crazy exoticness of it and am looking for metal that maybe incorporates more than just blistering speed on an 8 string or blast beat drums or whatever, incorporating things like a sax solo or in igorrr’s case opera singing and haunting string sections is really cool to me
Huh, first time listening to that Blackjazz album, liking what I'm hearing. Anyway, most of the below recommendations are avant-garde metal bands with multiple completely different genres influencing their sound, often with really weird instrumentation as well.

Pryapisme - if it's crazy you're after these guys might fit the bill. Instrumental avant-garde band.
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Another avant-garde band that is literally a mix of swing and metal with some classical/pop influences thrown in. Highly recommend Pandora's Pinata, one of my favourite albums
Unexpect - Insanely chaotic metal. Fables from the Sleepless Empire is one of my top 3 albums
Mutyumu - Rock/metal with like half a dozen different genres influencing. Highly recommend Il y a
Stolen Babies - Another avant-garde band with interesting instrumentation. I suggest There Be Squabbles Ahead
Akphaezya - Idk, not super into them but I feel like they belong on this list
öOoOoOoOoOo, Pin-up Went Down. Both of these bands are projects involving the same vocalist and they certainly share a lot of similarities.

Idk, hope you like some of these

• Love
Reactions: tcr

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Reviving this with some King Diamond. His octave range is something else lol. I've noticed that he's been slowly fading in recent years and I'm not really sure why?

This is probably my favourite song of his, but pretty much the entirety of Abigail and The Spider's Lullaby are definitely in contention.

Also want to say Jeff Waters from Annihilator has some of the most killer riffs in Metal. This is long and far my favourite song from em.

I'm not really the most musical person in the world, so my knowledge is a bit limited. Always willing to expand my horizons, though!

Reviving this with some King Diamond. His octave range is something else lol. I've noticed that he's been slowly fading in recent years and I'm not really sure why?

This is probably my favourite song of his, but pretty much the entirety of Abigail and The Spider's Lullaby are definitely in contention.

Also want to say Jeff Waters from Annihilator has some of the most killer riffs in Metal. This is long and far my favourite song from em.

I'm not really the most musical person in the world, so my knowledge is a bit limited. Always willing to expand my horizons, though!
There is a metal thread?! Hell yes. And king diamond! Haven't heard that in so long. Cheers

Never potsed in this thread yet, but oh well. I've seen some very nice stuff in this thread, so I'll join.

I listen to a lot of mostly older hard rock and heavy metal, and some symphonic metal. Motörhead, Rainbow, Dio, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Halestorm, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Judas Priest, Yngwie Malmsteen, Slayer, Scorpions, Sonata Arctica... And also bands like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, Deep Purple and Queen. Not always viewed as metal, but definitely influential to the metal genre.

Two songs I'd like to post...

First of all, a song that could be considered the first trash metal song. Metallica covered it, and it inspired several metal bands. Most people know Queen for '80's pop songs, but especially in the early '70s, my favourite band was very, very loud.

And a song by a Belgian band most people here won't know, so always worth posting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)