Project Metagame Workshop

Had an idea I wanted to bounce off the community. Naming it Pressmons for the time being, and the idea would be that the type of the first move would get combined with your mon's tera type and work like flying press (you also don't get STAB on the secondary type).

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
In the above set, Dragon Dance, Earthquake, and Ice Spinner would function as normal. Extreme Speed would become super effective against grass, fighting, and the like, resisted by electric, and quad resisted by rock and steel. It wouldn't deal any damage to ghost types, and Dragonite would not get STAB on it.

Status moves would function exactly the same as normal, whether they're in slot 1 or not. If the tera type is the same as move 1, the move functions as normal.

Tera Type: Normal
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
Everything in the above set would function as normal.

Clauses: Standard om clauses, terastalization clause (terastalization would be unusable, similar to bonus type)

Potential Bans:
Certain priority users like scizor, azumarill, and dragonite might be broken with their unlimited coverage, STAB for scizor and azumarill, and sheer power for dnite
Protean/Libero could be broken, being able to gain STAB on their dual type move no matter its base type. This isn't as notable as priority spam, more of a possibility

Potential Questions:

How would this interact with moves like electrify?
As per flying press, this would change the move's base type to electric/whatever type while retaining the secondary type.

Would it be broken for every pokemon to have a near unpredictable coverage move of their choosing?
It might be, testing would probably have to be done to come to a conclusive answer. If it does end up being broken, potential solutions could include revealing each mon's "tera" type and even which move the type affects.

Things to keep in mind
Mons won't gain STAB on their dual type move unless the base type is STAB. Similarly, items like elemental plates and berries will only come into play if it would with the base move.

That's all I have for now. If you have any questions, thoughts, or concerns, let me know.

Eta: sorry for not following submission format. I don't wanna rework this entire thing right now, but if I make a formal submission I'll make sure to follow the format.

Last edited:
Had an idea I wanted to bounce off the community. Naming it Pressmons for the time being, and the idea would be that the type of the first move would get combined with your mon's tera type and work like flying press (you also don't get STAB on the secondary type).

Tera Type: Flying
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
In the above set, Dragon Dance, Earthquake, and Ice Spinner would function as normal. Extreme Speed would become super effective against grass, fighting, and the like, resisted by electric, and quad resisted by rock and steel. It wouldn't deal any damage to ghost types, and Dragonite would not get STAB on it.

Status moves would function exactly the same as normal, whether they're in slot 1 or not. If the tera type is the same as move 1, the move functions as normal.

Tera Type: Normal
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
Everything in the above set would function as normal.

Clauses: Standard om clauses, terastalization clause (terastalization would be unusable, similar to bonus type)

Potential Bans:
Certain priority users like scizor, azumarill, and dragonite might be broken with their unlimited coverage, STAB for scizor and azumarill, and sheer power for dnite
Protean/Libero could be broken, being able to gain STAB on their dual type move no matter its base type. This isn't as notable as priority spam, more of a possibility

Potential Questions:

How would this interact with moves like electrify?
As per flying press, this would change the move's base type to electric/whatever type while retaining the secondary type.

Would it be broken for every pokemon to have a near unpredictable coverage move of their choosing?
It might be, testing would probably have to be done to come to a conclusive answer. If it does end up being broken, potential solutions could include revealing each mon's "tera" type and even which move the type affects.

Things to keep in mind
Mons won't gain STAB on their dual type move unless the base type is STAB. Similarly, items like elemental plates and berries will only come into play if it would with the base move.

That's all I have for now. If you have any questions, thoughts, or concerns, let me know.

Eta: sorry for not following submission format. I don't wanna rework this entire thing right now, but if I make a formal submission I'll make sure to follow the format.
A very similar metagame was suggested a few months ago, and my response is the same:
This is likely to have balancing issues. Flying Press works because no individual type is weak to both Flying and Fighting, but when you allow arbitrary combinations, the vast majority of mons now have 4x weaknesses, and some even have 8x or 16x weaknesses. That gives you calculations like this:

0 Atk Poochyena Astonish vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Calyrex-Shadow: 384-456 (112.6 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 3940-4636 (1216 - 1430.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)