Metagame Mergemons

Where are we on the case of prevos accessing and passing moves? Them passing moves is kind of inconsistent right now. Yanmega can't access Earth Power from Yanma-Sunflora, while Steelix does get Trick Room from Onix but not U-turn from Gligar.

EDIT: Steelix does not actually get Trick Room from Onix.

Last edited:

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Can we all agree that Hitmonstuffs having access to sketch is stupidly broken? Like I know they are supposed to learn sketch only once but obviously it doesn't seem to be implemented, if it's not possible to do I think we should just make sketch unable to be merged.
Wait, can they learn it multiple times? If you’re seeing Spore + [insert other move], Smeargle learns Spore outside of Sketch for some godforsaken reason. Maybe that’s what you’re seeing?

Where are we on the case of prevos accessing and passing moves? Them passing moves is kind of inconsistent right now. Yanmega can't access Earth Power from Yanma-Sunflora, while Steelix does get Trick Room from Onix but not U-turn from Gligar.
I personally think it doesn’t make sense for all prevos and evos to not get the moves of their full evolutionary lines. I don’t know exactly how it’s coded, so I can’t be sure how the system currently works.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

It would really be amazing if we could get something that prevents Shedinja from having Endeavor. I can literally come in on things like Tapu Koko or Tapu Lele, and get a free KO.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Endeavor
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thief / Yawn / literally whatever you want

I use Thief in the last slot to hit Normal-types that have recovery, like Chansey, since Shadow Sneak won't KO them. If you have Toxic Spikes support, you can afford to use different moves like Protect in this slot, since the poison will instantly kill after Endeavor. Adamant can be used for the higher power Shadow Sneaks when you can't Endeavor something, but the extra speed would probably be more helpful overall.

Counterplay to Shedinja includes:

• Bulky Ghost-types
  • Kyurem-Black / Mold Breaker users
  • Ferrothorn / Rocky Helmet holders
  • Pokemon with coverage that hits Shedinja (like Thundurus or Primarina)
  • Hazard / Status / Weather
The issue with a lot of these Pokemon is that they still get sent to 1 HP and those that can hit Shedinja like Thundurus will still die to Endeavor + Shadow Sneak regardless unless you brought Shedinja in that turn. Shedinja would be best on stall builds with at least 2 ways of removing hazards (things like double Defog or Defog + Mega Sableye). Mega Sableye is a good partner especially since it can bounce back hazards and status, while also checking most Ghosts.

After playing this OM for a couple days, I think I've found a single favorite/deadly Pokemon.

Salazzle is an utter monster in this metagame. And really, I've found it really only takes advantage of one of the moves it receives from Shiinotic. Spore, a simple yet effective move. Even more effective on Salazzle since the Grass types that normally wouldn't shirk from a Spore attack are potential one-shot victims from Salazzle's STAB moves. Even most Choice Scarf users aren't safe, since Salazzle can strike with spore then set up a Z-Sunny Day, boosting her speed one stage and temporarily rendering her Fire Blast about as strong as your average Inferno Overdrive. Throw in a Sludge Wave for a little additional STAB power and boom, absolute monster.

She's not unstoppable, if there's, say, a scarfed Koko or a Banded E-Speed user, Salazzle's low bulk can end her career in the battle early. But she's still a nightmare if you're unprepared.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I think I’ve found my personal favorite Pokémon in this meta. Cofagrigus gets the movepools of Sigilyph and Carracosta, which combine with its respectable bulk to make a very versatile Pokémon for stall and bulky balance teams. In addition to its already fairly good support movepool including Toxic Spikes, Trick Room, Will-o-Wisp, Haze, Disable, Mean Look, Block, Knock Off, Destiny Bond, Trick, Power Split and Memento, Cofagrigus gains access to Hypnosis, Tailwind, Whirlwind, Reflect, Light Screen, Thunder Wave and Defog from Sigilyph, and Stealth Rock from Carracosta. Of course, getting Sigilyph’s movepool also means gaining access to the infamous Blood Totem set—Psycho Shift, Cosmic Power, Stored Power and Roost—which is my favorite set to use.

Wow, this meta lives. I'm in awe. Anyways, we need either a Shedinja ban or drop it from learning only Endeavor. This is dangerous to the meta as we speak. Also, about the Tyrogue/Sketch issue, wasn't one of the rules that those 'mons learn Sketch once? Either it's been a long while or I've read something wrong. Even if it's allowed in Teambuilder, that means it needs an update soon.

Finally, where's voting for new leader?

Why is it telling me lycanroc-duck cannot learn u-turn? BOTH of its donors(ribombee and wishiwashi) can learn it, and it isn't reacting to acrobatics(from ribombee).

Edit: Deleted u-turn, and now acrobatics IS an issue as well. Is lycanroc-dusk some exception/not coded?
Edit#2: Both of lycanrocs other forms have the ability to learn these moves according to the validation check.

Why is it telling me lycanroc-duck cannot learn u-turn? BOTH of its donors(ribombee and wishiwashi) can learn it, and it isn't reacting to acrobatics(from ribombee).

Edit: Deleted u-turn, and now acrobatics IS an issue as well. Is lycanroc-dusk some exception/not coded?
Edit#2: Both of lycanrocs other forms have the ability to learn these moves according to the validation check.
Yeah, I went and tested it myself to see it, and I think it has to be some weird exception. I even made sure it wasn't at the end of Gen 7 or at Venusaur and I have no idea. I guess we have to ask who coded this, and who did?

It's very likely that Dusk is counted separately from Midday and Midnight. Also, I don't think they've accounted for the extra pokemon added in USUM, like Blacephalon and Stakataka. That might have something to do with it.

I compiled a list of the best mons that can both set and abuse Trick Room along with some possibly helpful inherited moves.

New Trick Room Setters:

Ferrothorn (magic coat / pursuit)
Volcanion (energy ball / spirit shackle)
Drampa (rapid spin)
Buzzwole (head smash / gunk shot)
Amoongus (scald / night shade)
Marowak (Rock Head wood hammer + flare blitz)
Mega Ampharos (sleep powder / strength sap)
Gigalith (low kick / wild charge)
Crawdaunt (explosion / rapid spin / stealth rock)
Conkeldurr (stealth rock / zen headbutt)
Tsareena (earthquake / swords dance) (weak but immune to priority)
very good idea man !
i'm a trick room lover too and you forgot some goo things imo so here is my contribution :

PELIPPER crawdaunt under TR and rain lol : just to give an idea of the damage :
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth in Rain: 163-192 (40.4 - 47.6%) -- 55.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock. I did OHKO a chansey with that xD. execpt a immunity or a double resist i think it can 2OHKO everything in the game with a crit (high crit chance)
with vikavolt, drampa, ampharos-mega it is quite cool too

TAPU FINI this thing also has synthesis now O_o

GUZZLORD maybe an offensive viable set ? next try on my list with poisonium z or dragonium z

HEATRAN t-bolt / ice beam / spatial rend / hydro pump / focus blast / knock off

FORRETRESS wish / roost / foul play / coil ...

So I've been using Flygon as a suicide lead:

Flygon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

It compresses two roles into one thanks to Spikes from Cacturne and Rapid Spin from Spinda. Adamant Earthquake is to smack Diancie, who otherwise sets up in your face. Probably best used on an HO build.

Last edited:
I'd like to take a moment and spread the word of one of my favorite Pokemon which has been improved by this meta:

Chesnaught @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

Chesnaught. While he has his flaws, getting up to plus six at the end of a game isn't too hard in this meta. Once an opposing Shedinja is shut down, the opponent has limited checks to this truck. Even Unaware Pyukumuku can be 2 hit ko'd by Seed Bomb [(252+ Atk Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 152-180 (48.4 - 57.3%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery].

And talking about potential partners, Endeavor Shedinja is amazing for him. Knocking as many Pokemon as possible down to 1 HP so that Chesnaught can either force them out to set up or just click Extreme Speed and clean up a kill after Shedinja goes down.

The way it’s coded right now, the Pokémon after Greninja is Ash-Greninja, not the Diggersby line. I think the Lycanroc forms have a similar problem.
Not even sure. Quick Guard, which only Lycanroc-Midday learns, Dusk cannot learn it. This means, according to the validator, it isn't even next to Lycanroc. Just to confirm, it doesn't even allow Wishiwashi moves. By the way, this also affects Own Tempo Rockruff. It's weird because normal Rockruff is fine.

After this, I think we should check special event 'mons and secondary forms/second evolution 'mons to see if there's any other issues with anything else.

Has anyone been using Kartana? It gets a lot of coverage it never had, like EQ, rock slide and (for what it's worth) flame charge. This leaves it pretty much only walled by Skarmory and Celesteela, depending on the set. Can anyone think of other defensive checks? Fire types, great at checking Kartana in OU, drop to rock slide or EQ. Zapdos also does not appreciate rock slide. I guess Tangrowth is still a solid check, and buzzwole so long as no one uses acrobatics lol

I'd like to take a moment and spread the word of one of my favorite Pokemon which has been improved by this meta:

Chesnaught @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

Chesnaught. While he has his flaws, getting up to plus six at the end of a game isn't too hard in this meta. Once an opposing Shedinja is shut down, the opponent has limited checks to this truck. Even Unaware Pyukumuku can be 2 hit ko'd by Seed Bomb [(252+ Atk Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 152-180 (48.4 - 57.3%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery].

And talking about potential partners, Endeavor Shedinja is amazing for him. Knocking as many Pokemon as possible down to 1 HP so that Chesnaught can either force them out to set up or just click Extreme Speed and clean up a kill after Shedinja goes down.
Normalium Z does what sitrus does better unless you are using z powers elsewhere. Other moves I like running on chesnaught are
Wood hammer: Extra damage over seed bomb that you can heal off with drain punch and
Shift gear: much less damage than belly drum but it sets up more sweeping potential. One boost outspeeds much of the meta and you still hit hard enough to take things down

Best Gal

once upon a time wont last forever
Has anyone been using Kartana? It gets a lot of coverage it never had, like EQ, rock slide and (for what it's worth) flame charge.
Not for nothing, it also gets Iron Head over Smart Strike, which is a non-trivial improvement (partially thanks to new flinch chance! Yay RNG!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)