Pet Mod Megas for All v7 - Start of Paldea season! | Please read the first post!

:swalot: Mega Swalot

New Ability
: Smorgasbord - When this Pokemon lands a super-effective attack, it restores 20% of its HP.
Type: Poison

New stats:
HP: 100
Attack: 100 (+27)
Defense: 100 (+17)
Special Attack: 100 (+27)
Special Defense: 100 (+17)
Speed: 67 (+12)

New moves: Thunderbolt, Rock Slide, Play Rough

Description: What strikes me as Swalot's defining factor separating it from other bulky mono-Poisons is its extensive movepool, especially in terms of offensive coverage. This, combined with Swalot's well-rounded stats outside of Speed, gives Swalot, in a vacuum, the niche of being a highly flexible mixed attacker who can tailor its moveset and EVs in a myriad of ways. This was my philosophy going into designing Mega-Lot - a well-rounded Poison-type who offsets its less-than stellar offensive type with an extensive pool of attacks to draw from. To encourage Swalot's identity of having many types at its disposal, while also both supporting its tanky nature and compensating for its lack of a recovery move, I designed Mega-Lot's ability to reward it for good use of its offensive toolkit with increased sustain.

For the additional moves, I chose Rock Slide and Play Rough to help Swalot fill out a potential purely physical set, alongside its existing Gunk Shot and EQ. On the special side, Thunderbolt is a nice upgrade from Swalot's already-learned Shock Wave. This choice of moves combined with Swalot's existing moveset is meant to give the option to run purely physical or special, but have obvious holes in coverage that can't be covered without going mixed: Swalot can hit Steel super-effectively with Earthquake on the physical side, but needs Shadow Ball and Ice Beam/Giga Drain to cover the Poison-effective Psychic and Ground types.

Last edited:
Snorlax-Mega
Type: Normal
HP: 160
Atk: 130 (+20)
Def: 85 (+20)
Sp. Atk: 115 (+50)
Sp. Def: 110
Spd: 40 (+10)
Ability: Loud Snorer
At the end of each turn, if this Pokemon is asleep, it uses Snore.
New Moves: None
Description: Mega Snorlax is meant to use Snore as a way to punish sleep moves and to do chip damage after using Rest. In addition, a CurseLax set can use Rest to chip down physical walls while also keeping it healthy.
EeveeGirl1380 will be posting our Beach Day Wailord Collab soon!

Collab with LordThemberchaud!!!
1642952367827.png

(concept art)
Mega-Wailord
Type: Water
Ability: Sap Sipper
Stats:
HP: 170
ATK: 115 (+25)
DEF: 60 (+15)
SPA: 115 (+25)
SPD: 60 (+15)
SPE: 80 (+30)
New Moves: Icicle Crash, Rapid Spin, Haze, Belly Drum, Hurricane
Description: Wailord is normally pretty unviable, because even with it's massive HP, it has pretty bad defenses and okay attacking stats that are sidelined with having a pretty trash moveset. Well, for our Mega-Wailord, we thought about a beach day!!! I mean, Wailord is literally based on a beach ball, and Sap Sipper is really just it sipping some juice out of those fancy drink things. Now, for the competitive side of things, Mega-Wailord gets acess to some pretty good support moves like Rapid Spin, Scald, and Haze, but it also has offensive potential with 80 base speed and 115 in both attacking stats, it can run a physical set with Sap Sipper being able to raise its attack and Belly Drum for funny shenanigians. On the special side, it has Water Spout, Scald, Ice Beam, and Hurricane to hit hard with. It's good bulk allows for it to be able to eat a lot of hits, too, especially wth only having one weakness. It checks mons like Kartana really well, due to it's immunity to Grass. All in all, Mega-Wailord is a pretty customizable mega, being able to run both supportive and offensive sets viably, while also having a nifty immunity to Grass.

:bw/swalot:
Mega-Swalot
Type: Poison/Dragon
Ability: Regenerator
Stats:
ATK: 73 -> 93 (+20)
DEF: 83 -> 103 (+10)
SPA: 73 -> 80 (+7)
SPD: 83 -> 123 (+40)
SPD: 55 -> 68 (+13)
New Moves: Taunt, Clear Smog, Toxic Spikes, Flamethrower
Mega-Swalot is a great abuser of Regenerator, with all around good defensive stats. Resisting both U-Turn and Volt Switch is a huge plus as a defensive pivot, giving it a big niche over Toxapex, Slowbro, and the like. As a poison type, it’s also immune to Toxic. The added Dragon type gives it a load of resistances, some notable ones being Water, Fire, and Electric. The bias towards Special Defense is to help it against some threats like Greninja, Heatran, Magnezone, the Tapus, and Volcarona. The physical bias is mainly because a lot of the mons it wants to hit are much more physically frail then specially. The four new moves it gets, Taunt, Toxic Spikes, Flamethrower, and Clear Smog, help it function in its role better. Taunt is to help stop status moves and defoggers like Corviknight, while Flamethrower is to help hit it. Toxic Spikes are good for poisoning Pokemon much more conveniently. Swalot also gets access to Ice Beam, letting it hit both Gliscor and Landorus-T, or running Flamethrower to hit Corviknight. It also gets Earthquake to hit Heatran.

Mega-Swalot even has the bulk to survive both defensive Lando-T’s and Gliscor’s Earthquake:
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Swalot: 290-344 (71.9 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Swalot: 204-240 (50.6 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Pretty comfortably, actually! And with full attack investment:
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Swalot: 348-410 (86.3 - 101.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Swalot: 258-306 (64 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It’s a pretty favorable calc!
And as for the special attackers…
0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Swalot: 136-162 (33.7 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Swalot Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 260-308 (67.3 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Swalot: 139-165 (34.4 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Swalot Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 168-198 (58.9 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Swalot: 105-124 (26 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 Atk Swalot Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 218-258 (77.5 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Swalot: 88-105 (21.8 - 26%) -- 3.6% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Swalot Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 278-330 (98.9 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Swalot: 102-120 (25.3 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 Atk Swalot Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Magnezone: 240-284 (85.4 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
16 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Swalot: 144-170 (35.7 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Swalot: 170-200 (42.1 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Swalot Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 156 Def Volcarona: 141-166 (37.8 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Swalot Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcarona: 171-202 (54.9 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Swalot: 123-145 (30.5 - 35.9%) -- 48.8% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Swalot Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Clefable: 228-270 (57.8 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Yep, it handles them pretty dang well. And all of those calcs are only with max HP, and no defensive investment otherwise.
Swalot also gets access to Curse, Pain Split, Destiny Bond, Acid Armor+Amnesia, Encore, Yawn, and Explosion, letting run some pretty fun and gimmicky sets. You could try Acid Armor, Amnesia, Rest, and an attacking move for some really dumb shenanigians, or use utility like Encore and Yawn, which also gives it a niche in VGC.

Mega-Swalot functions as a Regenerator pivot, mainly focusing on taking special hits with both its type combo resisting prominent special attackers, but can also function as a really good physical wall. The physical bias allows it to be more effective against what it needs to check. Resisting both U-Turn and Volt Switch is a huge boon, and something that none of the main Regen mons in the meta right now can do. Regenerator makes up for its limited recovery options, while also balancing out the high bulk. Using Toxic and Toxic Spikes, Mega-Swalot can act as a Toxic spreader, especially because what wants to come in on it dislikes being toxic'd. It’s able to hit a lot of threats in the metagame right now with its coverage, having Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Earthquake, and Gunk Shot. Mega-Swalot can also act as a great utility mon, with Toxic Spikes, Clear Smog, Yawn, Encore, and more. It also has the opportunity for funny gimmick sets. And finally... DEEZ-

Last edited:
Congrats to Slate 41's winners. Thankfully I did the bulk of this last night since gods my neck is killing me again.

Snorlax-Mega
Typing:
/
{Ground type added}
New Ability: Sap Sipper
{pre-Mega abilities were Immunity / Thick Fat / Gluttony (hidden ability)}

STATS:
HP:
Atk: 110 → 160 (+50)
Def: 065 → 080 (+15)
SpA: 065 → 095 (+30)
SpD: 110 → 125 (+15)
Spe: 030 → 020 (-10)
(BST: 515 → 615)

Added Moves: Bonemerang, Earth Power

Pokémon Sword: "It has reached the epitome of laziness. It no longer bothers to even stand to move and find food, somehow becoming capable of manipulating the earth beneath it to slowly roll itself along."
Pokémon Shield: "It moves and stands so little that small berry producing plants have begun to grow in the dirt and soil that covers so much of it. The berries are just even more incentive for it to not move."

Description: Despite disliking G-Max, Dynamax as a whole, and the vast majority of the designs for G-Max, Snorlax's G-Max is one of the few I like. So this was heavily inspired by that while trying not to make it too bulky. There's honestly not much else I want to say about it except that I also found it fitting that the original mon most famous for benefiting from putting itself to Sleep now basically eats Spore and especially beats up Amoonguss's obnoxious self (though it probably loses to Breloom at least, as it should--poor Breloom). Finally, I will note that I gave it Bonemerang before I checked to see what it got for Ground type moves and then saw that it, of all things, already gets High Horsepower, but I'm letting it keep Bonemerang just because the image is funny.

Swalot-Mega
Typing:
/
{Fairy type added}
New Ability: Glutton For Punishment = This Pokémon takes 3/4 damage from contact moves and uses Soak in response to contact moves.
{pre-Mega abilities were Liquid Ooze / Sticky Hold / Gluttony (hidden ability)}

STATS:
HP:
Atk: 073
Def: 083 → 125 (+42)
SpA: 073 → 122 (+49)
SpD: 083 → 087 (+04)
Spe: 055 → 060 (+05)
(BST: 467 → 567)

Added Moves: Calm Mind, Dazzling Gleam, Draining Kiss, Mystical Fire, Soak

Pokémon Sword: "Somehow Swalot has intentionally diluted its poisonous secretions so that they are less immediately damaging to things it proceeds to still swallow whole. Scientists theorize this is done to improve their taste."
Pokémon Shield: "Mega Evolution has made its whiskers longer, as pink as its argyle patterning now is, and constantly wet. It uses them to touch and taste potential targets from afar while also softening them up with weak poison."

Description: I generally try not to min-max, but dear Arceus does Swalot need the help, especially given the amount of other strong Calm Mind mons that exist. While its STAB combination is rather meh attacking-wise, even with the addition of Mystical "this is on most Fairies for some reason" Fire, this Swalot-Mega is defensively quite good because of course it is. [/Fairy type is "balanced"] In addition to being unable to be Poisoned outside of Corrosion or using Draining Kiss on itself and then getting Poisoned, it's quite the good physical wall against moves not named "Earthquake", and especially enjoys switching into Knock Off and Fighting moves before likely Poisoning or at least scaring out the opposing mon in question. It's just a good physical wall mon that can also double as a special cleaner that conveniently beats the other pink blobs it's come to emulate as a Mega.

Wailord-Mega
Typing:
/
{Flying type added}
New Ability: Sand Rush
{pre-Mega abilities were Water Veil / Oblivious / Pressure (hidden ability)}

STATS:
HP:
Atk: 090 → 125 (+35)
Def: 045 → 055 (+10)
SpA: 090 → 115 (+25)
SpD: 045 → 050 (+05)
Spe: 060 → 085 (+25)
(BST: 500 → 600)

Added Moves: Air Slash, Flip Turn, Hurricane, Rapid Spin, Sandstorm, Wish

Pokémon Sword: "The energy of Mega Evolution has allowed Wailord to fulfill its dream of being able to frolic on beaches again as it once did when a Wailmer. Its natural buoyancy bolstered, it can now swim through the air."
Pokémon Shield: "It tends towards playfulness despite its massive size. Unfortunately this does nothing to lessen its destructiveness, especially if it's playing on a beach, whipping up fierce sandstorms and waves."

Description: [Insert personal disclaiming here about not liking pivoting moves but being willing to use them as necessary evils on weaker mons.] Since Wailord also needs a lot of help, I decided to go in a very weird direction, beyond the arguably inevitable Flying addition, compared to my Snorlax-Mega's "Not Quite G-Max" and my Swalot-Mega's "A living stomach? I guess I'm stuck channeling Kirby since the 1980s version of The Blob is way too dark and horrific". So here we are with Sand Rush Wailord-Mega due to one single recurring Wailmer entry:

"On sunny days, it lands on beaches to bounce like a ball and play. It spouts water from its nose."

As a Sand Rush mon, due to its (new) typing it's in a very unique position of enjoying the Sand while also not sharing any weaknesses with any of the other mons that generally enjoy Sand outside of getting bodied by Freeze-Dry like how Garchomp does. Generally all the official Sand-enjoying mons are weak to Ground with a few exceptions, and all the good Sand Rush mons are either weak to Ground or incidentally banned to Ubers--R.I.P. Dracovish. Additionally, given both Lycanroc-Midday and Stoutland's Megas for this Pet Mod couldn't care less about Sand, I figure there's still room for a Sand Rush Mega, so weird flavor aside, here we are. I tried to focus on making this Wailord-Mega reasonable as an attacker, which is part of why its Special Attack is lower since super speed Water Spouts seem really unfun even without Choice Specs (or Rain) backing them up. The lack of good (and accurate) Flying attacks that actually fit Wailord's continued lack of birdness helped here, so it will probably have to go mixed to really clean up teams that aren't already weakened. Otherwise it's a fine support mon even if you don't want to go that route due to Wish, Flip Turn, Sandstorm, and Darkest Lariat memes Rapid Spin even if trying to picture it using Flip Turn just brings up that meme of a train "multi-track drifting" before it flips over multiple times and kills everyone both onboard and in the general area. I should totally give it Explosion.

2022/02/14: Typos and unclear syntax fixed. Swalot-Mega has gone from 100/075/125/122/090/055 to 100/073/125/122/087/060.

Last edited:
Collaboration with DrPumpkinz.

Mega Snorlax

Ability: Oblivious

New Stats:

Attack: 110 → 125 (+15)
Defense: 65 → 85 (+20)
Special Attack: 65 → 75 (+10)
Special Defense: 110 → 150 (+40)
Speed: 30 → 45 (+15)
BST: 540 → 640 (+100)

New moves:
Spite, Stealth Rock

Description:
1) Concept
Eat and sleep to your heart's content without worrying about enemies trying to provoke and distract you and steal your food, dear Snorlax!

The Pokédex makes it pretty clear that Snorlax is a carefree Pokémon. It can eat anything it wants without worrying about any negative side effects like you would normally do if you accidentally ate poisonous food, for instance. Hence the choice of abillity.

2) Competitive
This Snorlax is meant to reach its former glory from past generations and go beyond its role as an offensive tank.

Oblivious allows Mega Snorlax to pull off sets it couldn't do as effectively as before. With its great bulk, it can use Curse + Rest, no longer fearing Taunt anymore. If you want to get around Electric Terrain or Misty Surge, you could just run Steel Roller. Other sets you could pull off are:
- Block, Spite, and Rest to PP stall
- paralysis shuffle with Whirlwind + Body Slam, which synergizes well with hazards
- in VGC, being unaffected by Intimidate is pretty huge, making its Belly Drum / Curse set pretty potent. But base 45 Speed means there are more stuff able to check it in Trick Room, like Mega Reuniclus, Crabominable or Araquanid

1643034760310.png

Swallot-Mega (Poison):swallot:
Ability : Flame body
Hp : 100
Atk : 103 (+30)
Def : 118 (+35)
SpA : 93 (+20)
SpD : 98 (+15)
Spe : 55

Move : Recover , Corrosif gas

Ability based on the acid body covering it, making anyone that touch it burn itself.
This mega is meant to be a physicall wall (hence the slightly higher increase in the physical side) able to sponge momentum move like u-turn or flip turn, the later being a weakness of usually fire type flame body user. It can also sponge Fighting type which are also often physical (Urshifu water for instance have to be carefull about doing anything as CC won't do much and Surging Strike/U-turn will risk a highly punishing burn)and therefore turn into a really great physical punisher. It is also an incredible rillaboom check as it can threaten it with a burn while not being punished by knock off like moltress is due do its rock neutrality. Other relavant mon that are checked by that Swallot are kartana, weavile (Band axel is barely a 2HKO and Weavile is very likely to be burned in the process, making it not a 2HKO at all), Scizor , Galar-dos ...

It also create interesting mindgame with some pokemon, for instance mon such as Landorus that can threathen it with EQ , but are also discouraged to U-turn in case of you staying and risking a burn.

:bw/swalot:
mega swalot

poison/grass
stats
hp- 100
atk- 73
def- 83(+25)>108
spa- 73(+35)>118
spd- 83(+25)>108
spe- 55(+15)>70

ability: stomach acid- poison type moves heal the user by 50% of damage dealt

new moves: apple acid, leech seed
you may be thinking that I'm just stealing this idea from my mega Victreebel sub, but actually this came first! the main idea here is to use acid spray and apple acid to wear down opponents special defense while draining their hp with either sludge bomb or giga drain giving it a big advantage against bulky mons that aren't poison or steel. alternatively venoshock becomes a very powerful draining move after getting off a toxic or setting t spikes with another mon. while it isn't quite hard walled by steel and poison types it does have to either run mixed with eq or use the relatively weak hp ground to get around with (tho apple acid does help make up for its low bp)

:gs/snorlax:
mega snorlax

normal
stats
hp- 160
atk- 110(+20)>130
def- 65(+20)>85
spa- 65(+20)>85
spd- 110(+30)>140
spe- 30(+10)>40

ability: slumber party- when the user goes to sleep, the opposing pokemon gets the "drowsy" effect (in doubles, an opponent is chosen at random)
Snorlax, the poster child for the move rest, has to get around the limitation of being asleep somehow and while sleep talk works, forcing the opponent to switch or be put to sleep themselves allows snorlax to keep momentum, especially in the case that they don't switch since snorlax would wake up after 2 turns while its opponent might be asleep for 3

:bw/wailord:
mega wailord
water/flying
stats
hp- 170
atk- 90(+50)>140
def- 45(+20)>65
spa- 90
spd- 45(+20)>65
spe- 60(+10)>70

ability: breacher- two turn moves have their effectiveness multiplied by 1.5x and hit through protect

new moves: dig, skull bash, meteor beam, fly, wish
Wailord doesn't have much to differentiate itself from other bulky waters, so i designed it's ability to allow it to fire off powerful dives and flys that can't be blocked by protect as well as wish pass for 3/4 of its high hp. admittedly using 2 turn attacks is probably going to still be niche, but its insanely powerful wish sets will guaranteed be useful

Last edited:

:Swalot: Mega Swalot :Swalot:
Type:

Ability: Technical Difficulties - This pokemon takes 0.5x damage from moves with base 60 or less.
Stats:
HP - 100
Atk - 73 -> 93 (+20)
Def - 83 -> 103 (+20)
Spa - 73 -> 93 (+20)
Spd - 83 -> 113 (+30)
Spe - 55 -> 65 (+10)
New Moves: Pain Split, Dark Pulse, Crunch, Bite, Rapid Spin
Description: The blob! Swalot has a really cool design, but unfortunately sucks competitively due to a lack of recovery, and little distinguishing factors against other defensive poison types. With that in mind, I decided to create enough distinguishing factors to make Swalot viable in singles! We'll go over everything one by one.
Mega Swalot functions very well and was actually created as a counter to two challenging pokemon to take down at the moment: Weavile and Ash-Greninja , which is pretty cool! Swalot is not punished by knock off as much as other pokemon, due to the mega stone, and the steel typing is very friendly in terms of helping to resist dark pulse and knock off as well (Ash-Gren's hydro pump could potentially cause some problems). Additionally, rapid spin is a great deterrent for Greninja variants with spikes. However, the best part about Mega Swalot is its utter swallowing (pun intended) of triple axel and water shuriken. These rather challenging moves present little difficulty for Mega Swalot because of its chill AF ability, Technical Difficulties. Based loosely off of the ability technician, Technical Difficulties opts to create nullify some lower base power moves. This ability will make water shurikens feel like bubbles, triple axels feel like snow, and bullet punches feel like a walk in the park. Mega Swalot has relatively unique access to the poison/dark typing, and also has recover, giving it access to reliable recovery. It is rather strong in the defenses department, which makes it a great option for hazard removal, but it has little to do otherwise, and it cannot pivot.
I worked very hard on this idea, and also I got incredible improvement ideas from the discord, so I am shouting out ausma for the really cool suggestion of making this part dark, and pupugugu for fact checking me cause I thought steel resists water doyyy. I hope you enjoy, we have something in store for Snorlax as well >:).

To update, I have no reason to need recover, feel free to remove (I like recover on it though, so if it can slide by I wouldn’t mind that either XP)

:Wailord: Mega-Wailord :Wailord:
Type:

Ability:
Stall
Stats:
Hp:
Atk: - 90
Def: - 45 -> 55 (+10)
Spa: - 90 -> 170 (+80)
Spd: - 45 -> 55 (+10)
Spe: - 60
New Moves: Flip Turn
Description: For this sub, I attempted to make a joke sub that also has some competitive intrigue XP! Mega Wailord is a big strong boy. If he manages to get a strong water spout out, the 170 base special attack on the 150 base power stab move shreds even the strongest pokemon (252+ SpA Wailord Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 351-414 (49.1 - 57.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO). However, stall forces it to move last every turn, it has no way to heal, no way to pivot, and very little team support to offer to a pokemon. Additionally, it cannot hold an item to bolster itself, and its movepool leaves much to be desired. Nonetheless, in the right circumstances, this thing is absolutely ridiculous. I hope you enjoy! WHAAAALE chants if you do!
Edit: added flip turn at @Gekokeso’s cool request!

Last edited:
gulpin deez
:dp/swalot:
:swalot: Mega Swalot
New Ability
: Sharp Striker (Mega Cinderace's Ability)
Type: Poison / Steel

New stats:
Attack: 113
Defense: 93
Special Attack: 113
Special Defense: 93
Speed: 55
(567 BST)

New moves: Gyro Ball, Flash Cannon, Focus Blast, Energy Ball
Description: WIP

wailord later

Magmajudis

Title pending
:swsh/swalot:
:swalot: Mega-Swalot
Typing: Poison
Ability: Glutonny/Liquid Ooze/Sticky Hold --> Junk Processor (When one of this Pokemon's stats is lowered, it heals 20% of it's max HP for each stage the stat was lowered)
Stats:
Atk: 123(+50)
Def: 88(+5)
SpA: 113(+20)
SpD: 108(+25)
Spe: 55
New Moves: Cross Poison
Description: Curse sweeper that uses it's bulk, Toxic immunity and the healing Junk Processor provides for ease of sweeping. Also punishes Intimidate. Also this is playable in the Sandierbox!

:swsh/Wailord:
:Wailord: Mega-Wailord
Typing: Water
Ability: Oblivious/Pressure/Water Veil --> Heavy Landing (On switch-in, deals 12% damage to every Pokemon on the field including the user)
Stats:
Atk: 120(+30)
Def: 65(+20)
SpA: 120(+30)
SpD: 65(+20)
Spe: 60
New Moves: Flip Turn, Rapid Spin
Description: Funny pivot with pretty good bulk and decent offenses, as well as utility in Rapid Spin.

Last edited:
Announcing the arrival of the Big Bois of M4A! First, the Baronial Blob and Bane of Sweepers:
:sm/Swalot:
Swalot-Mega
Poison
Gluttony/Liquid Ooze/Sticky Hold-> Digestive Acid (If the user's target has positive stat changes, user will remove changes after attacking and restore 1/8th max HP per one stage boost).
Stats
Atk: 88 (+15)
Def: 98 (+15)
SpA: 128 (+55)
SpD: 98 (+15)
Spe: 55
New Moves: +Corrosive Gas, Flamethrower, Strength Sap

Beware this blob, it creeps, and leaps and glides and slides across the floor in search of some delicious stat boosts to satiate its appetite. Swalot's ability to pressure sweepers and heal up should they fail to OHKO it thanks to Digestive Acid, backed by solid coverage in Ice Beam, Giga Drain and newfound Flamethrower allow it to target many common sweepers with perilous precision while also catching key threats on the switch; EQ can even be used to cheese Heatran and Glowking. But Swalot is not entirely reliant on its ability to stay healthy, as Strength Sap lets it slowly dissolve the physical attackers that try to brute force it if Swalot's preferred prey cannot be found, slowly draining their vitality as it swallows them whole. You'd better be a glutton for punishment, because Swalot is a glutton for you.

Next, I present the one True Lord of the Skies, here to achieve what even Mega Rayquaza could not:
:ss/Wailord:
Wailord-Mega
Water/Flying
Oblivious/Water Veil/Pressure-> Deepsea Cyclone (User summons Typhoon for 5 turns).
Typhoon: While weather is active, hazards and screens cannot be set and grounded Pokemon lose 1/16th max HP at the end of each turn; the move Weather Ball is Flying type.

Stats
Atk: 125 (+35)
Def: 55 (+10)
SpA: 125 (+35)
SpD: 55 (+10)
Spe: 70 (+10)
New Moves: +Fly, Slack Off

With Raquaza failing to provide us with a proper Flying type weather, the true Lord of the Skies arises from the deep, bringing with it the fierce Deepsea Cyclone, accompanied by new Flying type since WaiLord is famously less dense than air. In keeping with the common properties of the Flying type, Typhoon is a more defensive weather in line with Sandstorm (also appropriate since our first completely custom weather was offensive), blowing so hard that any hazards or screens that the opponents try to set up in the weather will simply be blown away, allowing WaiLord to blank many hazard setters and potentially mess up HO. Slack Off gives this behemoth the recovery needed to come in repeatedly (especially since it allowed itself a Rocks weakness) and is imposing with its massive HP, hence the minimal buffs to defenses. WaiLord is also no slouch offensively, however, as even uninvested hits land hard off its twin 125 attacking stats, with new STAB Weather Ball cleaving through the likes of Gapdos, Volcarona and Urshifu, and options like EQ for Steels and incoming Koko, Ice Beam for Zapdos, and Iron Head/Heavy Slam for a certain fox (whose Freeze-Dry you can survive with heavy SpD investment); or you can be lame and use Toxic. The turnly damage from Typhoon further enhances WaiLord's breaking abilities, making it fearsome even without much offensive investment, while blocking hazards or screens from going up provides it plenty of utility alongside Scald burns and even potential Clear Smog. This Mega's power, bulk and utility are here to remind all the grounded peasants why this thing is a Lord.

And finally, myself and SimpyShrimp have come together for a take on the God of GSC, sure to reignite the fear of old gen players everywhere:
Okispokis + SimpyShrimp
proudly present:
:ss/Snorlax:
Snorlax-Mega
Normal
Ability: Thick Fat/Gluttony/Immunity-> Power Nap (If user is directly damaged while asleep, user receives +1 Atk; if a sleep turn is burnt without taking direct damage, user receives +1 SpA at end of turn).
Stats

Atk: 140 (+30)
Def: 75 (+10)
SpA: 95 (+30)
SpD: 130 (+20)
Spe: 40 (+10)

For this collab, we decided to look back at Snorlax's heyday and craft a playstyle that would remind all the Kanto and Johto mons who their true king is. While asleep, Snorlax's peaceful dreams allow it to calm its mind and boost its SpA; should its slumber be disturbed, however, Snorlax will be far less amiable, its physical Attack building in response to its growing unconscious anger. This mixed approach allows Snorlax to fully abuse its Gen 1 movepool, backing Normal STAB with options like EQ or Crunch/Darkest Lariat on the physical side while packing its choice of Thunderbolt, Ice Beam or Flamethrower on the special side; with its variety of coverage, Lax can even choose to forgo STAB entirely in favor of firing off more SE hits. You can pretty much mix and match your attacks depending on what your team needs, as you naturally having something for everyone even if it can't all fit on one set. Regardless of its attacks, Rest is a must for Snorlax, often paired alongside Sleep Talk to let it put in work while slumbering (though you can forgo it for certain matchups). Naturally, you aren't totally in control while asleep, and the stronger physical attackers can move you aside if you don't have/get the right move for them, but the variety of options Snorlax calls upon during its nostalgic nap means few mons are ever truly safe.

Last edited:
Well, guess this is happening.

Pleasure to be back, M4A.

:swalot:
Swalot-Mega
Type: Poison/Normal
Ability: Neutralizing Acid
This Pokemon's Poison-type moves remove the typing of targeted Pokemon.

Stats:
Attack: 93 (+20)
Defense: 123 (+45)
Sp. Atk: 93 (+20)
Sp. Def: 88 (+5)
Speed: 65 (+15)

New moves: Corrosive Gas, Purify, Body Press, Toxic Spikes (side note: if Toxic Spikes turns out to be broken with this concept for Swalot-Mega, feel free to remove it)

F l a v o r
When Swalot spots prey, it spurts out a hideously toxic fluid from its pores and sprays the target. Once the prey has weakened, this Pokémon gulps it down whole with its cavernous mouth.
- Ruby

It gulps anything that fits in its mouth. Its special enzymes can dissolve anything.
- HeartGold and SoulSilver

It's literally an acid blimp folks what else can I make it do but spew acid
Oh wait special enzymes... hold... hold...
...so what if those special enzymes... removed a Pokemon's typing... making them weakened and vulnerable to toxic?
...yeah fuck this another type-altering mega from shinx it is

Alright, all jokes aside...

Competitive Analysis
Behold, the metagame's first ever anti-tank tanky Pokemon. Oh wait Heatran exists. Well fuck you Heatran this is the first MEGA anti-tank tanky Pokemon.

The concept here is simple: Corrosive. Gas.
A move that previously had no viability in the metagame suddenly becomes one of the most scariest things under this buddy, being able to remove crucial recovery items from the likes of Ferrothorn, Tapu Fini, Corviknight and Mega Empoleon.

Yes, I just said Ferro Corv and Heatran, no, I am not drunk (I'm not even at the legal age for drinking lmao). See, the thing with Neutralizing Acid is that it also affects typing, which means that Steel-types and Poison-types are now also vulnerable to Poison. Yep, that's right: Your high and mighty defensive penguin titan can also take Toxic chip if you're not careful enough.

Swalot-Mega's ability gives it a huge anti-offense presence, providing it a guaranteed Toxic/item removal when it's settled onto the field. And just to laugh in your face, users can run Purify just to give them an escape option... at the cost of giving Swalot recovery.

And did I mention being typeless means affected Pokemon no longer get their STAB bonus? You're making one helluva mistake if you think this is just 'Corrosion with extra steps'.

Some miscellanuous stuff: stat distribution was made with the intentions of giving Swalot more bulk to tank Fighting-type moves (one type that defined the Poison-type's usage in the metagame), while also giving it the added benefit of having STAB on Body Slam (which you may as well consider its signature move, honestly) and Facade, as well as giving it a niche Shadow Ball/Poltergeist immunity.

---------------------

In my imagination, Swalot-Mega is the everyman. Stocky, innocent, blends in with the crowd, can be mean but also nice, I might be rambling too much so I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

But it's also one hell of a toolbox of fun.

Standard (Swalot)
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Corrosive Gas/Toxic Spikes
- Purify/Pain Split/Venom Drench
- Toxic
- Body Press/Sludge Bomb/Body Slam

This is your standard set: Use Gas or Spikes to force a Defogger onto the field/directly remove the target's item, then Toxic whatever comes in. Body Press for chip damage or to deal funny damage to Steel-types (if you haven't de-typed them already), or Sludge Bomb/Body Slam for STAB with an extra spicy chance of statusing the opponent. Purify is your main choice of recovery paired with Toxic/Toxic Spikes, though you could use Pain Split as a decent alternative.

If you're feeling saucy, however, and have a Wish passer/Rillaboom (side note: HIGHLY RECOMMEND RILLABOOM AS SWALOT-MEGA COVERS MOST OF ITS BIGGEST WEAKNESSES WHILE ALSO REMOVING ITS GROUND WEAKNESS AND ALSO GIVING IT LEFTOVERS KINDA), you could do something fun and run Venom Drench, essentially annihilating any Poisoned offensive Pokemon.

And message personally from me: run Purify on them just to make them rage even harder.

That's not all Swalot-Mega can do though:

TFW you troll (Swalot)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Curse
- Purify
- Facade

Yep. Status absorber Swalot. Doesn't have to fear Poison chip, run Curse to make yourself virtually unkillable, STAB Facade when statused + Curse boosts fucks with typeless Pokemon (there's obviously the downside of having to use Toxic Spikes before being able to hit Steel-types with this though).

Totally didn't make this just as broken as GSC Snorlax.

Cool. Cool. Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool.

Oh and here's a hypothetical set for the VGC nerds have fun lads
TFW you troll (Swalot)
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Corrosive Gas
- Purify
- Sludge Wave

Snorlax-Mega coming soon!

Guess who's back
Back again
'bismals back
Tell a friend
Guess who's back
Guess who's back
Guess who's back
Guess who's back...

:wailord:
Mega Wailord
:sm/wailord:
Type:

Ability
: Gulp Missile ("If this pokemon is hit by a move after using Surf/Dive, the attacker loses 1/4 HP and -1 defense or this pokemon uses Wish.")

Stats:
Atk: 130 (+40)
Def: 70 (+25)
SpA: 100 (+10)
SpD: 70 (+25)
Spe: 60

New Moves: Spikes, Stockpile, Swallow, Spit-up
Mega Wailord form a symbiotic relationship with many pokemon of the sea due to its enormous size and length. Wishiwashi will linger around wailord for protection, serving as its ammunition for its attacks, and using their restorative powers to tend to its wounds.
Wailord's pokedex entries talk about it being capable of swallowing a whole school of Wishiwashi, so what if it used those Wishiwashi in battle? Wish and Dive are incredibly synergistic as hiding away on the turn you're going to restore your health is huge. If wailord dies when it is supposed to use Wish, its replacement will receive wish off of 170 HP which basically brings whatever comes in up to full.

I gave wailord a bunch of attack to incentivize using Dive over Scald or any other move. It wants to use Dive to abuse the defense drops that come with Gulp Missile. Wailord can also use Block to force the opponent into hitting it over and over again so it can wear them down with Defense drops from Dive and extra chip from Gulp Missile It can run its physical coverage like Earthquake against electric types or toxapex and its got bulk for a Curse set. The thing is, Mega Wailord doesn't necessarily want to rely on recovery. It's very good for chip and stalling out the opposition. If you've played Evolution Project, you might know a familiar strategy that makes this pokemon scary. Stockpile, 170 health, pre-oblivious to prevent taunt, and if its barely chipped low enough Wish can activate and still put in work. For a set like that you might want Surf for the easiest accessibility for the 1/4th damage it'll always spit out.

I gave Wailord spikes because I felt it would go hand and hand with its ability. Even when the opponent switches hoping to avoid a defense drop, they'll now take extra damage from the hazards it will set up. Of course, you could also run hazards on other pokemon too. And hopefully, all of these new moves gives base wailord some tools to use too.

As for flavor, I think spikes can be justified by barnacles, which attach to whales and usually in numerous amounts. It could be flinging the barnacles off of it onto the field. A potential candidate for this is well.. binacle! Is it not a barnacle pokemon? Maybe the binacle who haven't found a suitable rock to live in yet can attatch to wailord and are taken on its journeys.

but anyway I think that my mega wailord is an effective user of Gulp Missile, as well as the synergetic use of Wish/Dive, as it also can use hazards to punish switch-ins and block to punish stay-ins alike.
:snorlax:
Mega Snorlax
:sm/snorlax:
Type:

Ability
: Slumbering Giant ("This pokemon can use status moves while asleep.")(Credit to BitBitio for the ability!) haha get pinged noob >B)

Stats:
Atk: 130 (+20)
Def: 80 (+15)
SpA: 100 (+25)
SpD: 130 (+20)
Spe: 50 (+20)

New Moves: none
Mega Snorlax only gains more energy upon mega evolving, but will never use it due to its sleeping habits. As a result, its somniloquy intensifies, and it begins heeding only to its own commands almost instinctively while asleep.
I was very intrigued by Bitbitio's Mega Snorlax though he never had the chance to submit it, so I wanted to submit it myself! He gave me permission to here we are. Snorlax wants to retain momentum after using Rest, and while RestTalk can be effective, its quite a roadblock in its strategy. This ability takes out the attacking portion of its sleep period, and makes it a utility based sleep period instead. The ability to use any status move while asleep lets it continue to stack Curse, and frees up a moveslot for something else like Amnesia. The only downside is if it isn't using sleep talk that is usually 2 whole turns its not attacking, and that is why I say it can be better for utility purposes. Yawn+Protect or Protect by itself would be the best way of abusing this, to stall out sleep turns and inflict sleep on other pokemon. You can easily buff a curse set with Encore if the opponent chooses to use that opportunity to setup against you, and either switch out or wait your turns accordingly.
:swalot:
Mega Swalot
:sm/swalot:
Type:

Ability: Caustic ("Using a poison-type move causes the targets defense and special defense to drop one stage each.")

Stats:
Atk: 113 (+40)
Def: 113 (+30)
SpA: 113 (+40)
SpD: 113 (+30)
Spe: 25 (-30)

New Moves: Purify, Corrosive Gas
Mega Swalots acid will dissolve anything it touches to nothing within minutes, even its own body. In order to prevent that from happening, it will expel its acid in a constant stream from its mouth.
Say hello to your new favorite Stall pokemon. Mega Swalot can basically tear apart anything it wants to, it constantly applies pressure with Toxic and Sludge Bomb by wearing down the opponents defenses, letting its much improved special attack wreak havoc. Acid Spray now becomes a -3 SpD move, meaning its going to force switches very nicely. One thing I want to make clear, is this sub has an extremely good synergy with one move.

Toxic. With toxic, this pokemon becomes 10x more problematic for any team. It will immediately drop the defenses of anything it touches, which Swalot can also take advantage of with Venoshock to hit even harder, or Venom Drench to apply an omnidebuff right off the bat, making it much bulkier and much stronger. Purify also lets it heal HP off of its ridiculous bulk and continue to apply stat drops. Even toxic absorbers like Gliscor don't want to feel the wrath of its Venom Drench or Ice Beam! It's even got item removal, which it can still use to spread its defense drops to the opposing team.

4MSS would be an issue with this pokemon, but not if you use it right. Always remember, you can still rely on Purify + Toxic spam to drop defenses, and then finish them off with Ice Beam or EQ. But be careful as pokemon like Tapu Fini no longer become threatened by this strategy.

Corrosive Gas is the easiest way to knock out two birds with one stone. You dont worry about immunities, you clear away items, drop defenses, and then punish the receiver with an attack. This is also one way to break down Steel and Poison type pokemon and increase the strength of your Hidden Power or Earthquake.

Swalot can also utilize Gastro Acid to disable fini's misty terrain, or Magmortar's Neutralizing Gas. Checkmate. Gastro Acid has more utility against Gliscor too as it negates Pheal, and this move is still useful as it again lowers the opponents defenses!

Swalot can also encourage its partners to come in and take advantage of the defense drops its inflicted by forcing pokemon out into a new target or using pursuit.

I won't go into much detail about VGC as I feel im not very keen on the metagame but Swalot uses a lot of spread moves like Sludge Wave, Corrosive Gas, Poison Gas and Venoshock, which can be really nasty to deal with.

Last edited:
:bw/wailord:
Mega Wailord
Type: Water/Flying
Ability: Aerilate
New Weight: 45 kgs

Stats:
Hp: 170 (+0)
Atk: 110 (+20)
Def: 70 (+25)
SpA: 125 (+35)
SpD: 55 (+10)
Speed: 70 (+10)

New moves: Wide Guard, Slack Off

"Local whale started flying after mega evolving and now it won't stop screaming at its opponents"

Thanks to the power of mega evolution, Wailord becomes... A giant balloon?
So, remember Pokémon Battle Revolution and how Wailord was a flying giant on your screen? Although it wasn't meant to be actually flying, it was just amazing to see, and since wailord is based on pool floaties, why not just make It a balloon and make it an actual flying giant?

Slow breaker which is also able to exercise some defensive utility thanks to Roost and the Water/Flying type which allows it to check Heatran, Urshifu-R, and Volcarona, it can run both physical or special oriented sets, physical variants will hit harder with their flying stab, as Aerilate boosted Double-Edge has a much higher bp than Hyper Voice, but it comes with the price of constantly dealing with recoil, Rocky Helmet chip, and not being able to burn mons that could try to check you with Scald, it has potential in VGC if run along with Tailwind support since Hyper Voice can hit annoying grass types able to resist Water Spout.

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist

:wailord:Wailord-Mega
New Ability: Gravitas On switch-in, this Pokémon summons Gravity.
Type:

Stats: 170 / 120 (+30) / 55 (+10) / 120 (+30) / 55 (+10) / 80 (+20) (BST: 600)
New Moves: Earth Power
Description: Did you know Wailord learns Earthquake? This submission was inspired by this discovery. Water/Ground is a known great typing for its defensive prowess, but we rarely discuss its really strong offensive abilities. Thanks to Gravitas, Wailord gets access to powerful perfect-accuracy moves such as Hydro Pump and Blizzard while gaining access to a very spammable STAB Earth Power. 80 Spe is enough to creep any variant of Heatran with enough investment, making it a pretty reliable check to non-Toxic variants. It's still held back by poor offenses for a mega as well as a fairly awkward speed tier outside of that, though.
Btw, Gekokeso made me realize that gravity also shuts down HJK! This makes this mon the hardest Raichu-mega counter up to date, being able to block both its STABs as well as its pivoting options. Big thanks for pointing all of that out!

Last edited:
:Snorlax: Mega Snorlax
New Ability
: Quick Draw

New stats:
HP: 160 -> 160
Attack: 110 -> 140 (+30)
Defense: 65 -> 65
Special Attack: 65 -> 105 (+40)
Special Defense: 110 -> 130 (+20)
Speed: 30 -> 40 (+10)
BST: 540 -> 640

New moves: None
Description: While Mega Snorlax is usually calm and lazy, it does get a surge of energy when there is delicious food nearby to allow it to move fast. Quick Draw allows Mega Snorlax to luck its way to victory, which can be dangerous especially when either Belly Drum or Curse is set up. Quick Draw also alleviates the Speed loss from Curse, though it doesn't matter much since Mega Snorlax is slow anyway. 105 Special Attack allows it to run a special coverage move, notably Ice Beam to KO Landorus-Therian and Flamethrower to bypass Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs. Keep in mind that it cannot hold Quick Claw so it cannot further increase its chances of moving first. Unincreased Defense stat also keeps it initially vulnerable from physical attacks to prevent it from being overpowered.

:Wailord: Mega Wailord
New Ability
: Swift Swim
Type: Water

New stats:
HP: 170 -> 170
Attack: 90 -> 110 (+20)
Defense: 45 -> 45
Special Attack: 90 -> 130 (+40)
Special Defense: 45 -> 65 (+20)
Speed: 60 -> 80 (+20)
500 -> 600

New moves: None
Description: Ever seen an overspeeding whale? Now that's dangerous. Mega Wailord hopes to make the most out of Water Spout, a move best suited for a whale in terms of flavor. With 140 Special Attack and rain boost, Water Spout will do a lot of damage. Swift Swim allows it to move first to prevent it from losing Water Spout power fast. Reliance on rain and lack of recovery means that Water Spout can lose power over time. Unincreased Defense stat also keeps it initially vulnerable from physical attacks incuding priority moves.

Bloopyghost

guging
is a Pre-Contributor
Revamped these due to feedback.

02-02-22b.png

Mega Wailord
Ability
: Belly Flop
Type:
water.gif

On switch-in, this Pokémon sets up Water Sport. For 5 turns, all Fire-type attacks used by any active Pokémon have their power multiplied by 0.33. Fails if this effect is already active.

(The message “<name> made a huge splash!” is displayed when this Pokemon is switched-in.)
Stats: 170 HP / 97 Atk (+7) / 35 Def (-10) / 145 SpA (+55) / 45 SpD / 108 Spe (+48) / 600 BST

New moves: Flip Turn, Hurricane
Description: It's Sea World! I originally gave this some busted ability that provided immunity to hazards, hazard removal, and priority to Water attacks, but uh it was very stupid now that I look back on it so here's this take.

I really wanted to preserve the flavor of the original ability in some fashion, and after mulling over it, I decided to just. Make it Water Sport lol. While severely weakening Fire-type attacks can be helpful if M-Wailord's allies are weak to Fire, the effect also extends to M-Wailord's team, meaning Fire-type Pokémon will hate being on the same team as M-Wailord. Not to mention that auto-Water Sport is completely outclassed by Drizzle.

So if the ability isn't that great, what does this M-Wailord do? It uh, it clicks Water Spout. And sometimes Hurricane. It's a fast, frail, wallbreaker carried entirely by its offensive stats and a powerful STAB attack. Not a lot of people are gonna jive with that, but I figured something simple should suffice after my original overtuned mess.

Thanks to EeveeGirl1380 naming the ability!

02-02-22a.png

Mega Swalot
Ability
: Swalowitzer
Type:
poison.gif

This Pokémon changes forme when it uses Stockpile successfully. It becomes Gulping Form with a Gulpin in its mouth if it has more than 1/2 of its max HP remaining, or Gorging Form with a Pinsir in its mouth if it has 1/2 or less of its max HP remaining. If M-Swalot gets hit in either forme, it spits the Gulpin or Pinsir at its attacker, even if it has no HP remaining. The projectiles have the following effects:
  • Gulpin - Deals damage equal to 1/4 of the target's max HP, rounded down, and badly poisons the target.
  • Pinsir - Deals damage equal to 1/4 of the target's max HP, rounded down. If this KOs the target, M-Swalot's Atk is raised by one stage.
This damage is blocked by Magic Guard but not by a substitute. M-Swalot will return to normal once it spits out a projectile or switches out.
Stats: 100 HP / 105 Atk (+32) / 120 Def (+37) / 73 SpA / 100 SpD (+17) / 69 Spe (+14) nice / 567 BST

New moves: Drain Punch, Sucker Punch, Swords Dance
Description: Remember that one anime episode where this guy hid a Pinsir inside his Swalot for a maneuver that should be completely illegal? Well now you can do that too with the power of a completely legal Mega Evolution!

Swalowitzer is basically Gulp Missile with a different name and a different activation method. Swalowitzer is a pretty big gimmick so I’m uncertain if this is actually good, but basically M-Swalot aims to cripple anything that touches it after it uses its favorite move Stockpile. Once its foe has been pelted by a poisonous Gulpin or a spiny Pinsir, M-Swalot can smack them with a hefty Gunk or with its colorful coverage options. M-Swalot’s Attack is low for a Mega, so it's reliant on SD or its ability in order to deal meaningful damage.

Drain Punch rolls coverage and semi-reliable recovery into one, Sucker is strong priority, and SD lets M-Swalot sweep/take advantage of the switches it can force with Swalowitzer.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm back, and probably not gonna make a op mega!
Ok, so that didn't work. Well...
:Snorlax-gmax:
Mega Snorlax
New Ability
: Chonked Up
This pokemon takes 75% damage from physical attacks, but 125% from special attacks

New stats:
Attack: 110 -> 120 (+10)
Defense: 65 -> 115 (+50)
Special Attack: 65 -> 85(+20)
Special Defense: 110 -> 80 (-30)
Speed: 30 -> 50 (+20)
BST: 540 -> 640

New moves: Gyro Ball
Description: Snorlax becomes incredibly chunky physically, being able to tank a standard Mega Lopunny HJK with 22% remaining with 252 evs, but easily falling to a focus blast or something else special. Gyro ball because slow.
BTW, if this wins I think the Snorlaxite should be called the Chonkus Berry.

Last edited:
Hi :-) my slate 42 entry:

:snorlax: Mega Snorlax
Type
: Normal
Ability: Guts

Stats: 160 HP / 155 Atk (+45) / 70 Def (+5) / 70 SpAtk (+5) / 130 SpDef (+20) / 55 Spe (+25)

New moves: n/a.

Idea/flavor: Snorlax has a big gut, so Guts. Lax was the OG Rest-Talk-er, and now it can do it better than anyone while hitting even harder with the Guts boost.

:swalot:Mega Swalot
Type
: Poison/Dark
Ability: Strong Jaw

Stats: 100 HP / 133 Atk (+60) / 93 Def (+10) / 73 SpAtk / 113 SpDef (+30) / 55 Spe

Idea/flavor: Stomach Pokémon wants to eat so it has a strong jaw.

New moves: Crunch, Poison Fang, Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang.

:wailord: Mega Wailord
Type
: Water
Ability: Huge Power

Stats: 170 HP / 110 Atk (+20) / 65 Def (+20) / 115 SpAtk (+25) / 75 SpDef (+30) / 65 Spe (+5)

Dex: Wailord grows bigger than ever! The water spouting from its blowhole looks curiously like bunny ears...

Idea/flavor: Wailord is the huge-est Pokémon out there, so it gets Huge Power. This iteration of M-Wailord hits like a truck. I know Huge Power seems to be reserved for rabbit Pokémon due to the wordplay of the Japanese name for the ability (ちからもち), so Wailord's water spout looks like bunny ears visually with its mega form. . . Yeah, that works... And hey, Azurill and Marill are more like mice, so there! With 115 SpAtk, it can also mix it up with some special and mixed sets.

Tuning: This M-Wailord is strong enough to do heavy damage and take some hits. Though, physical walls can take its attacks well, even after one Curse boost. Additionally, it can be easily outsped and KO'd by strong breakers and sweepers (i.e. Specs Magnezone almost always KO's offensive variants with Volt Switch, while tankier varients of M-Wailord don't dish out as much damage to respond even though they can live a hit). This, in tandem with its lack of reliable recovery, makes my M-Wailord balanced enough, but still a formidable mega imo.

New moves: Aqua Jet.

Last edited:
Paul and I present to you another collab! This time, it involves poison and food. You can never have enough of poison in the metagame :D

:Swalot:

Mega Swalot

Ability: Provision

If the user is hit by a direct move, it will spout a liquid that will disable the item of the next Pokémon that will switch in on the attacker's side. Once that happens, the liquid will disappear.
- The effect of the liquid will activate before the effect of entry hazards.
- Disabling an item means the target cannot use it, like the Embargo effect, but it can use the item again if it switches out.

Type: Poison

New Stats:

Attack: 73 → 83 (+10)
Defense: 83 → 113 (+30)
Special Attack: 73 → 88 (+15)
Special Defense: 83 → 103 (+20)
Speed: 55 → 80 (+25)
BST: 467 → 567 (+100)

New moves:
Body Press, Toxic Spikes, Strength Sap

Description:
1) Concept
According to the Pokédex, Swalot loves spouting a poisonous substance whenever it sees a prey. It's an attempt to digest the target. Against this background, we wanted to come up with a name for an ability that would mirror this aspect while also sound funny. Thanks to its new Mega form, Swalot will never run out of its special liquid with which it can turn the whole battlefield into a banquet. So, Mega Swalot can feast to its heart's content.

2) Competitive
Mega Swalot is supposed to disrupt the opponent's team by disabling items and forcing a lot of switches as a result. This benefits the use of hazards, notably Toxic Spikes.

Pivot moves are one of the most important moves in competitive as they can generate momentum and lock opponent into a vicious circle they cannot easily break out of it if unprepared. Since most of these moves deal damage, Mega Swalot can always punish opponents for relying too much on them. For instance, it can set-up Toxic Spikes to punish future Pokémon and play mindgames with the opponent as a result. After all, if they want to preserve some of their important Pokémon, they need to play carefully around the ability, otherwise, they might crumble to Mega Swalot's partners.

What's more, being able to prevent the effect of items can give you an advantage. Not only will your Pokémon receive less damage from items like Choice Specs or Choice Band, but they will also have an easier time to break defensive cores if items such as Leftovers, Eviolite or Heavy Duty Boots no longer work in specific situations. Bear in mind, though, that Mega stones or Z-Moves are not affected by the ability, just like how Embargo has no influence on them.

As for our move choices, Strength Sap allows Mega Swalot to become more consistent throughout the game but it's only really useful against physical attackers, which it is supposed to check better due to its mono Poison type. Furthermore, just like its ability, the move encourages the opponent to switch out their Pokémon. And this synergizes with Toxic Spikes. When it comes to Body Press, it's a decent move Swalot can rely on to deal with some pesky Pokémon, such as Ferrothorn or Heatran.

HELLO EVERYONE
I have been having a rough time of late because of some personal issues, and it's been hard to find the time to work on this and equally hard to find the motivation
but we've recently talked as a council, and I've had an especially motivating conversation with ink this morning, and now I finally feel ready to approach this mod with the energy it deserves
I'm sorry I kept everyone waiting for so long again </3 but I finally feel like I'm in a good place regarding this mod for once (!!??), so the current plan is:
to finish this slate (this will be the usual 24-ish-hour warning),
then to take a break and confer as a council over the course of it,
and most likely to come back on the other side with some important changes to report if everything goes well;
at least personally, I have found that talking over potential changes to our structure and future plans has really improved my outlook on this mod, so I really hope everyone will give them a chance once we've ironed out the details, and I am genuinely looking forward to talking about it when that time comes : D

Those particular future plans aside, I also have a couple of mod-related announcements to make at the end of this post! but first, the moment you have been waiting for for far too long (and massive thanks to the rest of the council for helping me finally get this done - I relied a lot on some of their notes and it was much more of a team effort than usual, even if their help was ages ago and I just took forever to do my part cx):

:snorlax::swalot::wailord:

If I don't mention your sub in this post, it's probably fine balance-wise and you're not required to make any changes! It doesn't mean I forgot!
Also, independently of vetoes, always consider having as few movepool additions as possible! We don't have hard rules on these, but if you have even five or six, you're probably doing something wrong!

Very general notice on ALL :swalot: Swalot:​

Okay, so Kero and Bolivia previously announced that reliable recovery would be outright banned on Snorlax specifically!
Having reviewed more of the subs and conferred as a council, though, we have decided to discourage adding recovery to Swalot as well unless you have a really particular reason for why a) your concept cannot function without it and it is intimately related to it, more than other Swalot and more than Swalot is by default, and b) that concept, aided by recovery, is really solid, unique and well-considered on all counts, in ways that are specific to Swalot and cannot just be saved for another Pokémon that may already have recovery.
Especially for a defensively-oriented Poison-type, which has several useful resistances and a crucial immunity to being poisoned (and there are remarkably few Poison- or Steel-types in canon that have 16 PP recovery moves, with those that do usually getting it either thanks to their other type or to their own other forms and most of the ones that can actually use it being kind of big deals in their own right), recovery is a tool we would like to try not to be too liberal about.

Swalot is a bulky Pokémon, and we know that; recovery is a good tool on any bulky Pokémon, and we know that, too! It's obviously an easy way to make the Pokémon more relevant in OU, which is desirable in theory in the short term, but it kinda happens maaaybe too often here (and it will really stop being a meaningful selling point if we keep allowing it every time we slate a bulky Pokémon), so the bar for that is something we are going to try to raise going forward; there are plenty of ways to make a compelling bulky Pokémon that do not involve giving it the "easy way out" that is 16 PP recovery, and some prominent users and council members have been uncomfortable with how often submissions seek to change specifically that part of a Pokémon's identity. Basically, recovery is actually pretty rare as a tool in general and there's a reason for that, so we are going to make a conscious effort to tone that down in the future.

Purely in terms of power level, Swalot as we know it may be conventionally a weak Pokémon, but there are long-standing design reasons why it does not have recovery and it will take a convincing argument to justify changing that, especially with how substantially doing so alters its base form's identity. "Swalot with recovery" will not inherently be broken and realistically may not even be relevant, but there is more to making good design choices than only balance and we will need to be convinced of why it's necessary. We will be making a conscious effort to take the addition of reliable recovery in general much more seriously going forward, as it's by far one of the more radical changes one can make to a Pokémon and it has been suggested many times in the past that we have been too liberal with it.

This in mind, we will reserve the right to remove Recover and similar moves from most subs by default, unless they are very specifically well justified; if your sub has Recover or one of its clones now and you badly think it needs it, it would be wise to edit your post when you read this to make a compelling case to keep it.
To reiterate, some of the most important focal points to touch on might be why recovery is necessary for your concept, why your concept is still unique to Swalot and cannot be saved for a Pokémon that already has recovery as part of its identity and why your concept justifies being a rare Poison-type with recovery. As an alternative, a weaker option like Pain Split or a draining move can still be a legitimate substitute! The main thing we are trying to discourage is seeing recovery as a default buff for any bulky Mega that would benefit from it because we have made that mistake in the past and it doesn't. really feel good. that it happens as often as it does here.

:swalot: Purely since I'm tagging you anyway, I would definitely recommend seeing the above summary of council discussion on Recover! Is it strictly conceptually necessary here/would you by any chance be able to do without adding it?

:wailord: Okay uhhh this might be a bit harder to explain and I apologize if I don't do the reasons justice, but this one saw some discussion from the council, and people were somewhat concerned about this one as a premise - the best way of putting it is that this removes certain important Pokémon as possible answers for what we generally feel may be the wrong reasons, in a way that could probably benefit from being toned down.

Kero explained it best by contrasting Wailord's Ability, which "punishes" the opposing team for relying on certain Pokémon only because they're light in weight, with something like Grass Knot, whose weight-based limitations are more constraining on the user than on defensive cores.
For example, a player wouldn't be pressured not to use Rotom-Wash solely on the grounds that it's lighter than Suicune and takes less damage from Grass Knot; however, a player who is mostly running Grass Knot to deal with Water-types might give special attention to Rotom-Wash, as it's something their Grass Knot wouldn't be able to handle and the rest of their team would need to account for it. Rotom-Wash is a weak point of Pokémon reliant on the move Grass Knot, more so than the move Grass Knot by itself is inherently a weak point of an entire Pokémon like Suicune that wouldn't otherwise be worried about its users.
On the other hand, an effect like Baleen that sets out to target specific light Pokémon like Toxapex or Tapu Fini requires special attention from the opposing team instead, because Pokémon that make for intuitive defensive counterplay to Wailord's type are undermined by the drastic boost to its damage output.

The general takeaway from this discussion was that it might be better to broaden the set of Pokémon that Baleen helps with, but tone down the buff it gives - making a smaller dissonance between the two instead of making Wailord extremely specialized towards and extremely effective against those top threats - primarily in the context that it emphasizes matchup unduly by making certain defensive cores only invalid because of their weight.
This wasn't completely unanimous and it might be something worth discussing with us if you're not sure about making any changes, but I just wanted to do my best to communicate what we talked about!

:snorlax: Hi! We've discussed this and have opted to disallow it.
We normally discourage making dedicated weather sweepers without really thinking them through; I went into as much detail as I could on this here when I was talking about Sand Rush Mightyena and Stoutland, but there's a lot of consideration that goes into making a Pokémon worth using on a weather team and contribute to that kind of archetype in a healthy way rather than promoting unbalanced typestacking and matchup fishing at best or not fitting onto a team at worst.
I'm probably more stingy about weather Abilities at this point in time than most mod leaders, but I think it takes a lot of justification to make one compelling; at the very least, this sub definitely doesn't "speak for itself" to an extent that the extremely description you gave could be enough to have me convinced, and the selling points here that we can find without hearing your thought process feel very extreme and binary (like Belly Drum - a sand sweeper whose only setup is Belly Drum will nearly always be either completely useless or completely ridiculous depending on the matchup with very little room for middle ground, when we already have more balanced sand sweepers that find that middle ground very easily and attack with the same types) rather than like something carefully considered for adding something the archetype needs, which makes me really against it.
In other words, allowing the sub is relatively high-risk and low-reward? It seems more likely than average that it would accidentally cause problems or lead to binary matchups and less likely than average that it would add anything healthy or productive, so we're going to leave it out. Thank you for understanding!

:swalot: Uh, not a veto exactly, but if I may give some feedback, I would encourage you to evaluate what specifically this has to do with Swalot :'D The concept (and the reasoning behind the Ability) rest completely on the type change and moves you added; it doesn't seem like you have made any reference to the characteristics Swalot already has? If you're sure of this, I think you should put more time into your description to give people the chance to understand your thought process better!

:snorlax: Okay, so this did come up in #council before I had the chance to look at it myself, and... well I will say that you actually handled it a lot more responsibly than I would have guessed when I heard about the concept. I definitely appreciate both the choice to keep Defense low and the choice to put most of its points into Special Attack (which is a really interesting stat to raise on Snorlax for a lot of reasons but also easily the stat that has the least to gain from this particular concept)!
That said, the consensus after some discussion is that we should still not risk allowing this, I'm afraid. x: I'm really sorry if this is disappointing and I respect how careful you tried to be with it, but Snorlax is a pretty dangerous Pokémon to give this combination - Rest Talk on something so bulky with a 3/4 chance to use a desirable move has generally been considered too favorable, especially since it can pull off something like Curse + Rest Talk and still have coverage of two random types instead of one, which is much more difficult for an opponent to plan around. The effective status immunity and reliably high passive healing it gets from this Ability just feel like too much on it, so we have decided we would be better off not taking that risk;;
(There's also the potentially relevant fact that Belly Drum doesn't cost the user any HP if the user is already at +6 Attack, which makes Belly Drum + Rest sets much lower-risk than one would expect, but it's hard to say how that would pan out in practice and I think Curse still sounds scarier probably)

XzvzX:​

:wailord: Hi! Uh, this is another one I think I would rather not allow - Primordial Sea on a Water/Flying-type with Hydro Pump is a really strong combination (for comparison, Drizzle Walrein with only 15 more Special Attack is one of the most dangerous wallbreakers in the mod right now, while this has 35 more points of Speed), and Wailord also has Water Spout which could potentially be super unhealthy with perpetual rain in mind (especially in VGC). Primordial Sea on its own is admittedly not an Ability that has a lot of interesting room to explore on a STAB user, so I would kind of discourage using it here in general? but especially not on a Hydro Pump user with such a crazy-high Speed stat, I'm afraid;;

Mm. Okay, so uh. I... would like to trust that you were coming from a good place with this and just really did not think it through, but this is actually quite important, so I am not sure I can afford to mince words here.
:snorlax: This is a really insensitive submission, and I would be lying if I said I could understand why you thought it would be okay. ._. Eating disorders are extremely serious for the people who suffer from them, and the way this makes fun of them and even makes a mechanical joke of the idea of being ashamed of them and is deeply uncomfortable. It should go without saying and be common sense that we would not allow an eating disorder-inspired Ability, and this one is particularly grave in its irreverence.
I am absolutely not going to allow this or anything resembling it, and I really hope that you think more carefully before posting something like this in the future.

Nowhere near as important as the above (and be aware that Snorlax will not be accepted regardless), but on more mechanically-oriented and game design grounds:
:snorlax: this is also definitely overpowered and far too much chip damage to be doing every turn, and
:swalot: please consider using the functionally equivalent and flavorfully similar Gooey (to reduce Speed on contact by one stage at a time) or Alluring (to prevent the pivoting effect of moves), rather than combining the two halfway? This doesn't feel like it warrants an entirely new Ability, especially since it fully outclasses Gooey in a majority of cases.

:wailord: Aaaa hi I'm sorry - I know you asked me specifically if this was okay, and I think my response was more or less that I didn't know what to make of it and wasn't completely confident in how strong it would be, so I encouraged you to ask publicly in #submission-feedback
I feel bad because you didn't really get any feedback when you posted publicly, either, but the council discussed this when we were going over vetoes and the consensus was that this was probably too strong as a concept after all cx
It was notably compared to pre-nerf Toxtricity-Low-Key, and in addition to the recurring free chip as many times as Wailord can afford to come in, it was noted that it may be considered to give every Pokémon on the opposing team 12.5% less maximum HP even if it's not on the field (since a Pokémon just falling to 12.5% or less lets Wailord switch in for absolute free and KO instantly, even if you would have been able to switch out). This is in addition to how much damage it adds to pivoting moves like an ally's U-turn or Volt Switch, too.

That said!!
The balancing factor you chose to give it, that the user is also damaged when the Ability activates, was still well received, and it seems like the people who were most concerned would be comfortable with allowing it if it didn't have access to Recover (which effectively undermines that chosen balancing factor and allows its Ability to activate too many times without consequence). It is worth noting that, although replacing the move with Life Dew came up, the consensus was that this would be dangerous for different reasons - namely allowing not only the user but its partner to bypass the downside of the Ability in doubles, where the effect is otherwise even stronger - so Life Dew is not a recommended alternative.
(You would probably still be able to get away with something like Pain Split pretty safely, since Wailord is notably somewhat worse at using than other Pokémon because of its stat spread! Alternatively, Wailord already has Rest, and the effectiveness of Rest is something we have learned by now not to underestimate, especially since Wailord doesn't need to be awake to use its Ability and might be able to create enough pressure to run the move successfully. Although Recover is the thing that makes this probably too much for now, it seems like it's not a concept that would be too weak without it!)

:wailord: I am terribly sorry, but Swift Swim + Water Spout scares the heck out of me and I don't really think I'm comfortable seeing it introduced @.@ I understand that that's the exact territory you were hoping to explore in the first place and you're aware that it's a strong combination, but my instinct is that this is going to be fundamentally overpowered, so I am going to veto it, sorry;;

:wailord: Sssorry but
I am personally quite deeply uncomfortable with this Ability and I can't really see any way to justify accepting it;;
I know we've had one Ability, Trash Compactor, that clears entry hazards and rewards the user for doing so, and I'm guessing that's where you got your inspiration from. That said, the actual effect of that one is quite mild; Mega Garbodor is very tame, and it has no pivoting and exerts little offensive pressure, so its Ability is kind of its main selling point and it's not that easy to use.
On the other hand, the reward for absorbing hazards with this Wailord is, like, really, really scary - its Water Spout becomes priority of a strong type that hits insanely hard and can be boosted much further by rain with the proper support (notably, the effect synergizes with rain being the one weather that has a pivoting autosetter - Pelipper, which happens to be weak to hazards - and a lot of other relevant Flying-type abusers... so that's an archetype that really enables and is enabled by this kind of Ability; it also synergizes with Water Spout itself by completely ignoring hazards, which are otherwise the main balancing factor that makes the move hard to use in singles at all). Even aside from that, priority Flip Turn makes clearing hazards with Wailord completely free and impossible to punish while dramatically swinging momentum even more in its team's favor.
This definitely invalidates and excessively punishes hazards much harder than Garbodor does, and it seems like it's definitely overpowered in general from my point of view; I'm not sure exactly how to suggest changing it, but I'm not really on board with either part of the Ability if I'm being honest, let alone both in tandem x:

:swalot: Okay, so uh-- this is a super minor concern and I really respect the pun, but I am afraid that while abismal checked with me to make sure the way he altered Gulp Missile was okay and true enough to the original effect (for comparison: note that his Wailord activates on the same moves as Cramorant's Gulp Missile, consistently has the same 1/4 damage, and has the first of its two secondary effects in common; it is very clearly still recognizable as Gulp Missile in every possible way), yours is kiiind of at a point of being an entirely different Ability and I'm not really willing to present it as "still Gulp Missile but on a different Pokémon" x:
With that in mind, I would recommend finding a new name for the Ability and just considering its effect as a variation on Gulp Missile, rather than naming it exactly the same thing;;

Uh, that aside, I think having some more consistency between the two forms' effects would also be a good idea - in Cramorant's case (and Wailord's), the reason each part of the Ability has two different effects is because it always does 1/4 damage first and foremost (lending cohesion to the effect), then has a different side effect depending on the Pokémon in its mouth; in this case, yours has four discrete effects and uses a different two at a time, which has the opposite result of making it feel less cohesive. I think there is sort of just a line to be drawn where it stops feeling like one single Ability and is too far abstracted from what makes Gulp Missile work; as clever as the flavor side of it is, I think that's something I would ask you to revisit if you can and I'm not really sold on the execution;;

:snorlax: I am, uh, concerned. First and foremost, I think this is just straightforwardly too much of a statstick? :') Shoring up its one weak point in Defense so much already buffs Snorlax a whooole lot, and adding the Steel type is such a massive upgrade to its defensive type as well as the obvious addition of Gyro Ball making it (and Snorlax's low Speed and Curse) into an offensive asset.
75% and 110% are also quite arbitrary as modifiers and I can't really see the tiny amount of extra damage it takes from special moves, uh, doing anything; it still has 160/110 special bulk, and it's not like base Snorlax has ever been afraid of special moves. x:
I might just be looking at this the wrong way, but it doesn't really seem that, uh, convincing that you had any particular balancing factors in mind - I'm gonna say no to this for now, sorry :'D

... but wait! there's more!!

:clefable::walrein::mudsdale::dusknoir:

We have some recent balance changes to cover!

First, a handful of Mega Evolutions have been provisionally banned from ongoing singles tournaments, although they are still meant to be usable in our main format for the time being while we work some things out. These include :empoleon: Mega Empoleon, :slowking-galar: Mega Galarian Slowking, and :silvally: Mega Silvally in its Ghost form (every other Mega Silvally remains legal). All three are still unchanged and will remain legal for the purposes of VGC!

Moreover, a smaller handful of Mega Evolutions have been rebalanced recently! These changes are not live yet, but they will be in the near future. For the time being (just until the changes are live), please consider these moves illegal on Clefable and Walrein and please do not use Mega Mudsdale in tournaments. Mega Dusknoir is still fine!
:clefable: Clefable has lost access to the move Will-o-Wisp;
:walrein: Walrein has lost access to the move Focus Blast;
and in what is quite possibly my favorite nerf we have ever done?? :mudsdale: the Ability Inner Fortitude :dusknoir: now prevents the user from being put to sleep, instead of protecting the user from Intimidate. The reasoning for this is to prevent Mudsdale from abusing Rest, a move which consistently pushed it over the edge and made it frustratingly unfeasible for most teams to break it, but which the much weaker Mega Dusknoir with the same Ability is not known to use so the change works in its favor. Mudsdale still has access to Pain Split as an alternative form of recovery but is no longer resilient to status.

Although this take on Inner Fortitude can be taken as a strictly better form of Insomnia, this was accepted in the context that it was introduced through a balance change (and, for that matter, as a nerf to the Pokémon that has it).
Please do not mistake this precedent as a reason to submit strictly superior variations of other Abilities, status immunities included, going forward; Abilities are allowed to get a little more complex and bend the rules as it becomes apparent that that's necessary to balance them (some of the more complex official Abilities are also ones that have gained more details over time for balance reasons!), but it's important to draw a distinction between the situation here and the idea of submitting this as a first pass at the Ability.
This was a really clever and effective way to target the broken elements of Mega Mudsdale without the collateral damage so many other attempted nerfs risked; it is important to respect that the change was made for that context specifically.
Little things that elevate my mood:
Ctrl + F "nerf" takes you straight to Inner Fortitude's entry in the Abilities file of our code! cx

:decidueye::typhlosion::samurott:

Moreover, there are some updates to report on the M4A Sandbox!
First of all, in case you missed it, Hisui is here! We've been slowly refining our interpretations of their new moves, and what should be the final batch of updates is not currently live but will be made live in the next patch. You can find the full details on how all of them will be implemented here!
There are not currently plans to adopt Pokémon or moves from Legends: Arceus into our main format until they make their way to the main series officially, but some special tours will be taking place in the near future to give us a taste of these Pokémon, including a Hisui Pokédex VGC tournament that will be run by BlueRay in the near future (after the end of our ongoing Individual Tour)!

Aside from official tours, you're encouraged to have fun experimenting with them in the Sandbox!
Moreover, remember that the M4A Sandbox is a Custom Game format designed for you to experiment under your own rules, so you can add moves to these Pokémon - or add their new moves to others! - at your own discretion; the Sandbox's teambuilder will indicate only the moves that are currently, canonically legal on them in a National dex format, but that doesn't mean it's all you can use just as long as you and your opponent are on the same terms!

There are two other updates on the sandbox, too!

First: our somewhat-long-standing but equally-understated Mix and M4A format will be consolidated into the sandbox in the next update, which is to say that you can use any of our mod's Mega Stones on any Pokémon, under Mix and M4A rules and on the same team that you use the sandbox mod itself or a custom Mega Stone of your own design!
There has been next to no interest in Mix and M4A as a competitive format and its actual playerbase is better aligned with the sandbox's existing goals, so this is primarily a convenience feature. There are no plans to hold tournaments under Mix and M4A rules in the future.

Next, the "Sandierbox" format - a spinoff of sorts of the M4A Sandbox, in which our own KeroseneZanchu (the very same madman who made the original sandbox!!) has implemented some custom Abilities that have not been accepted to the main mod so far, so people can experiment with those on future submissions - will also be united with the main sandbox, so you don't need to challenge someone to a separate format to use one of those Abilities any more!
The idea of distinguishing the two formats is somewhat dated and somewhat at odds with the nature of the sandbox in the first place, and there is no reason not to give Kero the freedom to influence the main sandbox in the first place, so consider this a convenience update that unifies two formats with the same goal!

There may be some other organizational changes to our formats in the future, especially based on some of the changes I mentioned we were planning to discuss at the top of this post, so keep an eye out for more updates!
I'll be sure to let you know when we have anything concrete!!

:victreebel:

Lastly, I would take this opportunity to give a proper sendoff to our long-time friend ViZar, who has recently chosen to step down from the competitive council and to leave the mod.
A lot of us have been reevaluating our roles in the mod recently, and it's very important that we respect his choice to act on that when he decided that his relationship to the mod was not healthy for him; we're all still figuring things out here.
That said, it has been amazing having him here and all of us hold him in extremely high regard, and we want to thank him for the time and effort he put into supporting us (and to make sure he knows he will always be warmly welcomed back if he wants it!).
He's still actively involved in other mods in the community, so this isn't a goodbye by any means, but it is important to me to make sure he knows we're grateful to him and how much respect we have for him; I'm really sorry that your choice to leave came at a time when I was inactive myself and that I didn't have the chance to say this sooner </3

:xerneas:

With all of that said, it's time to close off this long-overdue announcement!!

As usual, submissions will close and voting should begin in about 24 hours or a bit later, and the council will make a compilation of all of the legal entries then! If you've gotten feedback here that you want to address, it would be best to do that as soon as possible with that in mind. C:
(As usual, though: no worries if you can't quite make it by then! If you decide to make changes based on this, then as long as you can do that before voting closes just leave enough time for people to vote for you! and please make sure to check which council member made the compilation post for that Pokémon and get in touch with them, such as by pinging them or DMing them here or on Discord, we'll be happy to edit the compilation to include any amendments you made!)

As always, good to see you back, Hemattite.

Despite not being one of the people addressed, I wanted note that I just went through a small change on Swalot-Mega that I've been considering ever since I posted it. Despite its "smallness", I still figured I should note it in case you (all) think it needs to be vetoed and changed it back: my Swalot-Mega Speed is now 060 instead of 055.

I figured it made more sense for it to be at the speed so that it's (far) more consistent about beating Chansey and Blissey as well as now speed tying with the other other pink blob, Jigglypuff Clefable. It's arguably even more min-maxed now, having gone from 100/075/125/122/090/055 to 100/073/125/122/087/060, which is just another reason to make note of it.

That's all though outside of fixing typos (that I of course still missed--grr) in my post as well as making my syntax clearer in some places. Not much else to say about my own post, so I will just say that I look forward to voting (if my current back-up laptop doesn't explode even more) and just note two other things:

Beware this blob, it creeps, and leaps and glides and slides across the floor in....

I really like this design despite it reminding me of Duff McWhalen from the terrible game that is Mega Man X5 if he was instead from some alternate universe where he really liked either Golden Sun or those Dark Souls memes about Solaire. Praise the sun!

Last edited:

Bloopyghost

guging
is a Pre-Contributor
:wailord: Sssorry but
I am personally quite deeply uncomfortable with this Ability and I can't really see any way to justify accepting it;;
I know we've had one Ability, Trash Compactor, that clears entry hazards and rewards the user for doing so, and I'm guessing that's where you got your inspiration from. That said, the actual effect of that one is quite mild; Mega Garbodor is very tame, and it has no pivoting and exerts little offensive pressure, so its Ability is kind of its main selling point and it's not that easy to use.
On the other hand, the reward for absorbing hazards with this Wailord is, like, really, really scary - its Water Spout becomes priority of a strong type that hits insanely hard and can be boosted much further by rain with the proper support (notably, the effect synergizes with rain being the one weather that has a pivoting autosetter - Pelipper, which happens to be weak to hazards - and a lot of other relevant Flying-type abusers... so that's an archetype that really enables and is enabled by this kind of Ability; it also synergizes with Water Spout itself by completely ignoring hazards, which are otherwise the main balancing factor that makes the move hard to use in singles at all). Even aside from that, priority Flip Turn makes clearing hazards with Wailord completely free and impossible to punish while dramatically swinging momentum even more in its team's favor.
This definitely invalidates and excessively punishes hazards much harder than Garbodor does, and it seems like it's definitely overpowered in general from my point of view; I'm not sure exactly how to suggest changing it, but I'm not really on board with either part of the Ability if I'm being honest, let alone both in tandem x:

:swalot: Okay, so uh-- this is a super minor concern and I really respect the pun, but I am afraid that while abismal checked with me to make sure the way he altered Gulp Missile was okay and true enough to the original effect (for comparison: note that his Wailord activates on the same moves as Cramorant's Gulp Missile, consistently has the same 1/4 damage, and has the first of its two secondary effects in common; it is very clearly still recognizable as Gulp Missile in every possible way), yours is kiiind of at a point of being an entirely different Ability and I'm not really willing to present it as "still Gulp Missile but on a different Pokémon" x:
With that in mind, I would recommend finding a new name for the Ability and just considering its effect as a variation on Gulp Missile, rather than naming it exactly the same thing;;

Uh, that aside, I think having some more consistency between the two forms' effects would also be a good idea - in Cramorant's case (and Wailord's), the reason each part of the Ability has two different effects is because it always does 1/4 damage first and foremost (lending cohesion to the effect), then has a different side effect depending on the Pokémon in its mouth; in this case, yours has four discrete effects and uses a different two at a time, which has the opposite result of making it feel less cohesive. I think there is sort of just a line to be drawn where it stops feeling like one single Ability and is too far abstracted from what makes Gulp Missile work; as clever as the flavor side of it is, I think that's something I would ask you to revisit if you can and I'm not really sold on the execution;;
After looking back on my subs, I really don't know why I thought either one was okay lol. Feedback on Discord from way back criticized these for being way too overtuned, and yeah, even after incorporating feedback they were still garbly messes. I was hyperfocusing on flavor over balance and cohesion, and that led to some bad results. Unfortunately, I'm also kinda stumped on how to fix my Mega Wailord.

:wailord: I ended up changing Belly Flop completely and just made it auto-set Water Sport. Which isn't very good. But to compensate, I decided to crank up Wailord's Speed, lowering its defenses in turn. It's basically Mega Beedrill but a Water-type and without Adaptability. And that isn't gonna jive with everyone, but I think its simplicity and lack of a broken ability would be much more preferred.

Also I completely forgot about it and I really should've said this sooner, but shoutouts to EeveeGirl1380 for naming the ability! Sorry for leaving you uncredited for like two weeks aaaaaaaaaaa ;;

:swalot: I was definitely a bit of a tryhard when it came to this one too. I didn't realize the ramifications of changing multiple aspects of a vanilla ability and still calling it by its original name, so lemme fix that. The ability is now named Swalowitzer. Yep. The Gulpin projectile has been changed to deal damage instead of dropping Speed, so the projectiles now share one effect.

I thought 16 PP recovery would be essential on my M-Swalot since its ability encourages it to take hits, but I'm also thrusting this ability onto a Pokémon that never had 16 PP recovery to begin with, so I'll be dropping Recover from it as well.

I hope these changes are sufficient! I'm still trying to get the hang of this stuff, but I've definitely been learning from my mistakes and I really appreciate how in-depth your critiques are!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)