SM OU Mega Aggron Balance by blarghlfarghl

RMT Staff

archetype
is an official Team Rater

Introduction

This is a Balance team built around the core of offensive Mega Aggron + Stealth Rock Wish Clefable. It utilizes a fat core with the defensive synergy that helps shift perceived risk-reward in a way that allows me to make aggressive plays with the more offensive Pokemon on the team. This is my favorite team, as it is a bit unconventional but matches up optimally against some of the top Pokemon in the OU metagame; also, making predictions with a threat like Mega Aggron is hella fun.

Teambuilding Process

Ben Gay ended up using this team in the WCOP tiebreak to enter playoffs, but the timing was coincidental. The credit for this Mega Aggron set goes to ladder player "Smee Maimen," who various friends and I have encountered and beaten on many occasions. His team features four Assault Vest Pokemon, a Z-Move Skarmory, and Mega Aggron. Aside from the four Assault Vest users, there had to be a reason that he was high on the ladder; I found that reason to be four attacks Mega Aggron.

Now onto the supporting members: there is usually a checklist of roles and resistances I like to fill out when building, especially when making Balance: I always ensure that I have access to Stealth Rock, a status absorber, speed control, Steel-type(s), and immunities to Ground- and Electric-type attacks. Since Mega Aggron was running four attacks, I selected Clefable as my Stealth Rock user, as it offered a good status absorber and had access to Wish.

At this point, I opted to add Tornadus-T, as there are few drawbacks to using it honestly. On this team, it's used for its speed, access to Knock Off to cripple passive Pokemon like Toxapex and Celesteela that annoy the current core, support through Defog, and immunity to Ground.

As I so often do, I immediately threw on a Toxapex as a resistance to Water to build a fat core. However, I didn't want to be forced into using Choice Scarf Landorus-T, which would open up weaknesses to Electric-types that carry Hidden Power Ice as well as other special attackers. Gastrodon consolidated roles a bit and gave me a blanket special wall and check to Water-types that beat Magearna. Toxapex is still often my go-to as I am one of few people still paranoid of Mega Charizard Y, but after looking over some of Ben Gay's teams as inspiration, I made the decision that sometimes you can't avoid a poor matchup against certain Pokemon such as Mega Charizard Y. Using Gastrodon over Toxapex gave me excellent counterplay to Tapu Koko and non-Bloom Doom Heatran while also improving the Mega Alakazam matchup.

Next up is Tapu Bulu. I had finished my fat defensive core and needed some more offensive pressure on the team. Tapu Bulu provided Grassy Terrain support for Mega Aggron and could break past Water-types such as Ash Greninja and Tapu Fini. While I initially thought of using Choice Band for the extra damage output, I instead went with a Choice Scarf set to improve some of the speed that the team was lacking.

Greninja honestly goes on a lot of teams. I will also attempt to fit a Dark-type Pokemon on my teams if I can, as I am a big advocate of Choice Specs Tapu Lele and the team kind of rolled over to Choice Specs-boosted Psychic at this point. Greninja was an offensive Pokemon that fit these criteria. For this same reason, I decided on Protean rather than Battle Bond, as Gunk Shot was the best way of killing it.

Team Members

tdks understudy (Aggron-Mega) @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Avalanche

Since Mega Aggron is using four attacks, I run max Attack and HP. It is worth considering adding a bit of Speed investment for Celesteela, but I've stuck with this spread. Aggron hits 416 attack with full investment, and there are few Pokemon in OU that safely switch into the combination of Heavy Slam, Earthquake, Fire Punch, and Avalanche. I considered using Ice Punch over Avalanche, but Avalanche's the boost from getting hit, you pick up the OHKO against Tornadus-T, Gliscor, and Landorus-T. I believe Mega Aggron to be the best partner to Wish Clefable that I've encountered, as I had only seen it used before on fat Mega Venusaur + Celesteela Balance teams. Aggron is a beast defensively and it will eat many physical hits like Mega Medicham's High Jump Kick, so it can take on a ton of threats and can easily receive Clefable's Wishes.

poorsho (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish

Clefable employs a somewhat passive set on this team and will spend the majority of its time on the field just sitting there and supporting the rest of the team. Of course, its bulk and access to Moonblast is important against specific offensive teams and Pokemon, but against fatter teams, its primary role is to set Stealth Rock and pass Wish to Mega Aggron. Its defensive capabilities synergize well with Mega Aggron, as it serves as a solid resistance to Fighting-types and switches into many moves that Mega Aggron would prefer to avoid. Wish Clefable + Mega Aggron is especially tough to deal with for Pokemon that could otherwise set up on Clefable, as they often cannot threaten it immediately.

networkgol (Tornadus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog

Tornadus has proven to be pretty broken as of late, with the defensive set annoying most offensive Pokemon and getting a free Knock Off against passive Pokemon. Defog is usually relatively low-cost thanks to its bulk, as few threats are able to OHKO it, and Tornadus is able to regain health easily thanks to Regenerator. On this team, Tornadus-T gets used often as a pivot/mid-ground play for this reason. The team is a bit weak to Grass-types, especially before Aggron undergoes Mega Evolution, so Tornadus-T's defensive utility becomes essential in these matchups. For this reason, I used a defensive set rather than one with a Z-Move.

EMPOOR (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Earthquake

Gastrodon can block Volt Switch thanks to its Ground typing; it also serves as a blanket special wall and is a solid Water immunity with access to reliable recovery. Most importantly for this team, Gastrodon serves as a check to most Magearna and non-Bloom Doom Heatran; for this reason, I run maximum investment in Special Defense with Earthquake. Gastrodon essentially invalidates special attackers, most crucially Tapu Koko and Assault Vest Magearna, which gives the team more liberty to punish double switches against opponents that do not want to lose momentum as Gastrodon switches in. Due to Gastrodon's ability to shut these Pokemon down so effectively, it can serve as a deterrent for certain Pokemon without even having to enter the field. It is also an excellent counter to Rotom-W, which is the only Pokemon that can comfortably switch into all of Mega Aggron's attacks. I initially had Clear Smog on this set since the team is pretty weak to Reuniclus, but each of the current moves is essential, and I was able to deal with Reuniclus through the combination of Mega Aggron, Tornadus-T, and Tapu Bulu.

virgin (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu provides additional speed for the team and acts as a revenge killer. Its Grassy Terrain also supports Mega Aggron with Grassy Terrain, weakening Earthquake and providing passive recovery. Tapu Bulu and Mega Aggron are solid physical attackers that benefit each other's presence. They can also break past the other's checks, and receive similar benefits from the support of the team's defensive core. Tapu Bulu also improves some defensive matchups with passive recovery for Clefable and Gastrodon.

imilas (Greninja) (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dig

The coverage Greninja provides through Gunk Shot, Ice Beam, and Dig is tough to switch into for most Balance builds without having the team weakened. Greninja also takes advantage of the switches it forces by setting up a layer of Spikes, which also makes Tapu Bulu, Tornadus-T, and Mega Aggron harder to switch into with their chip damage. I mentioned earlier that the team struggles with Tapu Lele, so using Gunk Shot is essential for killing it. The same goes for Serperior and Tapu Bulu, as Greninja is the more offensive countermeasure to these threats. Tectonic Rage is nice to have as a lure for Toxapex in particular, as Toxic Spikes and burn potential from Scald annoys this team.

Threatlist

There are some very polarizing matchups for this team, though it handles most of the metagame well and struggles hardest against more niche Pokemon. For this reason, I prefer to use the team in a tournament setting instead of on the ladder.

Psychic-types - Tapu Lele is a pretty significant threat to the team; however, it can be outplayed and pivoted around, as Tornadus-T and Tapu Bulu can take an attack and remove its item with Knock Off or revenge kill it. Greninja also can threaten Tapu Lele with Gunk Shot. Mega Alakazam is faster than every member of the team, it can be difficult to revenge kill. However, it can be worn down by Gastrodon's Toxic, and Tornadus-T can take an attack and weaken it. Reuniclus is the reason I used to have Clear Smog as a second option on Gastrodon. However, the team can usually take it on with the combo of Mega Aggron and Tapu Bulu. Still, without Clear Smog it can be tricky to take down.

Mega Charizard X & Mega Charizard Y - Both Mega Charizard X and Mega Charizard Y are enormous threats to the team, as they can both break past this team's check to Fire-types. Mega Charizard X becomes nearly unstoppable after a Dragon Dance and can blow past the entire team with its attacks. However, both need to be careful of Tapu Bulu, with can catch them with its Choice Scarf Stone Edge.

Mega Venusaur - This is a pretty significant threat, as if Tornadus-T becomes poisoned, it can be challenging to switch into. However, recent metagame trends have it using Leech Seed instead of Giga Drain, and Gastrodon can switch into variants that lack Giga Drain.

Celesteela - While Celesteela doesn't directly threaten the team with its attacks, it can be difficult to wear down thanks to its access to Leech Seed and Toxic. However, by removing its Leftovers with Tornadus-T's Knock Off, weakening it with Mega Aggron's Fire Punch, and stalling it out with Gastrodon, the team can eventually break past it.

Choice Scarf Serperior- Once Mega Aggron and Tornadus-T are a bit weakened, Choice Scarf Serperior can easily break through the team, especially after a couple of Leaf Storm boosts. It is faster than any Pokemon on the team, making it hard to revenge kill, and Tapu Bulu's summoned Grassy Terrain boosts the power of its Leaf Storm.

Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-447546 Ben Gay vs TDK WCOP Tiebreak
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-450903 vs Relous WCOP Semi-Finals
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-929527099 DPL Week 2 vs TPP
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-938651954 DPL Week 5 vs Ahsan
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-944758647 DPL Week 6 Twix vs Ahsan
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-927884045 vs SKE
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-939895288 vs CM Mega Alakazam
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-935355199 vs Luthier

tdks understudy (Aggron-Mega) @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Avalanche

poorsho (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish

networkgol (Tornadus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog

EMPOOR (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Earthquake

virgin (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

imilas (Greninja) (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dig

Credits
Created by: blarghlfarghl
Written by: blarghlfarghl
Grammar checked by: talkingtree
Art by: Image by Ticken & Text by TPP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)