SM UU Mega-Aerodactyl + Scizor

I’ve been trying this team out for a while now and I managed to get around 1300-1400. Just wanted to know if something's missing or if I could do something better.

:sm/scizor:

Scizor @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 48 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Superpower

I think scizor is necessary pretty much in any UU team, even if it’s just to scare that 438 speed Mega-Aerodactyl with the threat of a priority bullet punch. U-turn can do some pretty chip damage when you predict a switch and superpower comes in very handy against bulky walls like Blissey. Swords Dance is kinda difficult to set up but it can prevent the opponent from stalling the game to death. I don’t like Roost on Scizor, that’s why I gave up Life Orb and opted for a Fightinium Z and it proved very helpful especially against other scizor trying to set up swords dance or pretty much any Pokemon that doesn’t expect to be KO'ed in one turn. Its really hard to get him in the game early so I usually wait until the scary fire types are gone (or Hydreigon or Amoongus hp fire, just the first two non-fire types that come to mind).

:sm/aerodactyl-mega:

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Crunch

Scizor is great against some the main threats of the tier, but Mega-Aerodactyl is one of the best late sweepers in the tier thanks to its crazy speed. Stone edge and earthquake are pretty common, and they deal with all the fire types that basically every team has to check scizor, while crunch and aqua tail are coverage moves to deal either with serious threats to my team (such asLatias, Starmie or Krookodile) or with annoying pokemon like Gligar and Azelf. Even though it’s usually a late sweeper, sometimes a surprise lead can get you an early KO, especially if your opponent doesn’t really have many counters against it.

:sm/hippowdon:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

I wanted the team to be offensive, but not crazy offensive, so I had to find pokemon to balance the scales a little, and I loved Hippowdon from day one. Sand stream can be annoying, stealth rock + whirlwind makes some opponents forfeit out of frustration, and stone edge is a little surprise for those who think earthquake is the only offensive move and either switch in a flying pokemon or taunt him to avoid stealth rock, not realising they’re going towards a KO. I know most Hippowdons have slack off, and I had too for a while, but not having an offensive move against flying types was really annoying and I usually didn’t even get the chance of using slack off.

:sm/chesnaught:

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Toxic

I used to have Empoleon for way too much time before realising that rotom heat was not sufficient to deal with every water pokemon in the tier, so I decided to add this guy, and I have to say he’s not letting me down at all. Giga drain and Drain Punch increase its longevity during a battle, and also scare off Swampert, Blissey, Quagsire, Hydreigon (when locked on a non fire type move with choice specs), and so much more. Toxic and Leech Seed are always useful, especially against strong pokemon with no move to recover HP. I love the fact that his typing is the perfect counter to Crawdaunt, a pokemon that can be pretty scary during a game. i dont usually lead with Chesnaught, because of all the Rotom-Heat running around as leads, but I use it on many occasions during a game, switching in when necessary and doing what needs to be done, be it damage or toxic/leech seed.

:sm/primarina:

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Sparkling Aria
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic

Probably one of my favorite pokemon, along with M-Aerodactyl (that’s why I chose this tier first), I picked it without even knowing what competitive was, just because "hey, I like it, and it seems it’s viable, so why not?" and thankfully it’s working out a lot. I use it as a threat to the various dragon- or fight- or dark-types (yes, talking about Hydreigon mostly, but also Latias, M-Altaria and many others fear it). Choice specs works perfectly to the point where moonblast actually does very good damage even against steel- and poison- types, unless we’re talking about walls or (god damn that mon) Blissey. Hydro pump and Sparkling Aria are common, but the play I prefer the most with primarina is a completely unexpected Psychic when the opponent switches to Tentacruel or Venusaur, dealing more than 50% HP damage and suddenly making them vulnerable to a lot of other moves.

:sm/rotom-heat:

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Toxic

This Pokemon is just so important to my team in terms of utility (defog), annoying damage (toxic) or straight up damage with overheat and volt switch. He’s my ideal lead because volt switch allows me 90% of the times to see my opponent's lead and act accordingly, volt-switching if I need it (I think only Nidoking and Nidoqueen mess up this strategy, while Mamoswine suffers from overheat; the other usual leads I encountered allowed me the volt-switching strategy).

Now, I think there are two problems
1) rotom heat is the only defogger but he suffers greatly from stealth rock, so when he goes under 25% hp I cannot defog anymore
2) no special walls (Hippowdon has a decent one, but not great), even though to be honest I realised it only by doing this, I was never like "oh if only I had a special wall I wouldn’t have lost this game", but maybe it’s just me not realising it.
Let me know if you think there are other problems and how would you solve it.
Ok, so that’s it, i really look forward to reading what you think about it. Thanks to anyone who will help me!

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Hi Albinson, I love Sand teams so I was excited to have a go rating yours. I just want to talk through some issues I saw first, before I move onto things you could change. (I won't talk about the issues you already brought up originally).

-> No recovery on Hippowdon, this is a big nono imo, and if this is what you want you should be using a different ground type like Nidoqueen in it's place, as one of the main benefits of Hippowdon over these other pokemon is it's access to recovery. You mention Stone Edge allowing you to surprise flying types, but Aerodactyl-Mega's place on a Sand team is as a Flying-type check, especially to those annoying ones such as Moltres and Togekiss.

-> No Primarina or Volcanion matchup. For a sand team, this is a fairly bad idea, as you give both of them ample opportunities to come in, and you have no swap ins to them. Volcanion is the more pressing of the two forcing out Scizor, Hippowdon, Chesnaught and Primarina without swap ins, but Primarina is certainly an issue too as it can force out Chesnaught (due to no wood hammer and being slower), Aerodactyl-Mega and Hippowdon while offering no swap ins.

-> Terrakion (and Cobalion to a lesser extent) matchups are fairly bad. Due to lack of recovery on Hippowdon, Hippowdon cannot be used to reliably check Cobalion or deal with Rockium Terrakions, and Chesnaught is the same due to no synthesis on it, allowing Terrakion to spam Choice Band attacks without any cost due to no rocky helmet damage.

-> Mew may be recently dropped, but it looks to be staying, and you absolutely struggle vs it. The popular "Stallbreaker" set in particular is an issue, burning your Scizor and Aerodactyl (using Colbur berry to get the burn off on Aerodactyl fairly freely), while being able to knock off items and taunt other members of your team, leaving only Primarina able to break it, which it's teammates should be able to cover, while it is slowly chipped by burn and hazards.

-> Fire Blast Altaria matchup is tough, as if you let Scizor get lured by it then it becomes very hard to win due to no recovery on Hippowdon, and Toxic's from Chesnaught/Rotom-Heat merely powering up it's Facades.

-> Non-existant Stall matchup, which is a fairly large problem in a Stall-heavy tier.

Now i've talked about some of the other issues I found, we can move onto the rate. For this rate, I decided to keep Hippowdon, Aerodactyl-Mega and Scizor, albeit with some set changes to each.

Minor Changes:

:Hippowdon:

Hippowdon (F) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

As explained previously, Hippowdon really needs recovery, so I replaced Stone Edge with Slack Off, as you will still have an Aerodactyl-Mega to punish pesky Flying-types like Moltres. I changed the EV spread and item a bit to punish pokemon such as Scizor, Cobalion and Terrakion more, due to being unable to fit something like a Slowbro or Doublade on the team. Rocky Helmet can help you punish U-turn users such as Scizor too, which is greatly appreciated from the original team. The EV spread maximises your Defense while still allowing you to survive two HP Ice's from Manectric-Mega after Stealth Rock, although you could run max Defence if you wish.

:Aerodactyl-Mega:

Ability: Unnerve
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Roost

As you have a Scizor and Hippowdon both inviting in Moltres on your team, I felt it was paramount to have recovery in roost on Aerodactyl-Mega too to let it check Flying types more consistently throughout the match. I replaced Crunch with Ice Fang on Aerodactyl-Mega, as this allows you to hit pokemon such as Gligar, Krookodile, Hydreigon and Altaria-Mega too. I got rid of Aqua Tail to fit Roost in as Ice Fang now lets you hit Gligar anyway, and I will be providing other ways of punishing Hippowdon later in the team.

:Scizor:

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

As you wanted a more offensive Scizor set with recovery, I went for a Banded Scizor instead, as this could provide pursuit support so that I could run Ice Fang on the Aerodactyl-Mega. Your original Scizor set was fairly unusual, and you would normally expect Roost on that set over U-turn. Banded Scizor will also help you in your Stall matchup, by being able to consistently U-turn to gain momentum, which is especially problematic for Double Unaware stalls lacking Alomomola, and by being able to Pursuit trap targets such as Nihilego and Blissey.

Now onto the new pokemon to be added. Firstly, I wanted some Hazard Control, and one of my favourites to put on more offensive Sand teams currently is Defog Volcanion. This offers you a Primarina and Scizor check at the same time, while having more of an offensive presence than other hazard control options that do this such as Tentacruel, and through the use of Shuca berry can help to potentially lure pokemon such as Nidoking and Mamoswine, thinking they can kill you before you kill it.

Major Change:

:Volcanion:

Volcanion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 232 HP / 40 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Flamethrower
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb

As explained, Defog Volcanion offers you Hazard Control that helps to check Primarina and Scizor for your team, while providing a Water immunity. The EV spread allows you to hit 235 Speed, allowing you to outspeed Blastoise-Mega, other Supportive Volcanions and Nidoqueens attempting to creep the previous two. Steam Eruption is your main water stab, that can spread burns around, while flamethrower is chosen over Fire blast due to better accuracy. Sludge Bomb is chosen in last to allow you to pressure Primarina, chosen over Sludge Wave as it has a better Poison Chance. The Shuca Berry allows you to potentially lure pokemon such as Mamoswine and Krookodile as explained previously, while also giving you a safety net to potentially try and defog on pokemon such as Hippowdon even if they predict it,

I next wanted an answer to Hydreigon, preferably a Fairy type, and an answer to Suicune, as Suicune could currently 6-0 the team. Nasty Plot Togekiss offered this by being able to Boost up quicker than Suicune and beat it with Flinches, while giving the ability to Stallbreak, and help clear Status from the other pokemon, allowing Scizor to not care so much about U-turning on Moltres. It also paired nicely with Scizor pursuit trapping Nihilego and dealing with Aerodactyl-Mega, which are two of the main answers to Togekiss on Stall, as a Metronome allows you to break through Pyukumuku.

Major Change:

:Togekiss:

Togekiss @ Metronome
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Standard stallbreaker Togekiss set, but with Metronome over leftovers to help break through Pyukumuku, and Flying resists such as Doublade and Aggron if you wish to take the risk knowing these two can OHKO you back. Heal bell allows you to support your team by removing burns/toxic's, while also helping Togekiss break stall. EV spread maximises your Speed and respective Bulk, allowing you to better check pokemon such as Hydreigon.

I finally needed one more pokemon for the team. Hydreigon fit nicely in the last slot forming a Steel Dragon Fairy core with Scizor and Togekiss, and helping to check pokemon such as non Superpower Volcanion, and HP fire celebi. Through Taunt, it can help you prevent pokemon such as Hippowdon and Krookodile from setting Rocks up. Due to a Z-Move, it also helps you check pokemon such as Krookodile and Crawdaunt due to taking less damage from Knock Off, while Volcanion also deters Crawdaunt from clicking Water STABs anyway. This also serves as your main answer to Stallbreaker Mew, while Scizor can help deal with Nasty Plot ones. Taunt also helps you put some extra pressure on stall, and prevent defog / status from pokemon such as Empoleon.

Major Change:

:Hydreigon:

Hydreigon @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Taunt

Taunt Hydreigon was the last pokemon. Roost provides it with longevity. Darkinium Z provides you with a strong 160 BP Black Hole Eclipse, helping you to break through Steel types such as Empoleon, Scizor and Aggron better, although Dragonium Z can be run instead. Darkinium Z also allows Hydreigon to serve as a Knock-off Sponge.

Final Team

:sm/scizor: :sm/aerodactyl-mega: :sm/hippowdon: :sm/volcanion: :sm/togekiss: :sm/hydreigon:

I hope you enjoy the new version of the team. I tried to keep it more offensive like you wished, but it is a little fatter then the original version. In terms of threats to this new version, the biggest one would probably be BoltBeam Starmie, however counterplay exists through Aerodactyl-Mega and potentially Scizor due to these sets being more offensive and chipping themselves with Life Orb recoil, and potentially lacking recovery.

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Roost

Hippowdon (F) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Volcanion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 232 HP / 40 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Flamethrower
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb

Togekiss @ Metronome
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Heal Bell
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Taunt

Last edited:
Wow, thank you so much, I really liked Hydreigon in other teams I tried but I never thought it could fit in my team, and yeah volcanion and suicune have always been a pain. I’ll definitely enjoy playing this team, thank you again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)