Gen 6 medisand offense

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
:medicham-mega: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: :tyranitar: :excadrill: :tornadus-therian:
Hey! Been a while since i made a RMT, and after i had an ok run at the latest oras global championship (top 6), i had a lot of fun using this team, so i wanted to share it with this RMT.
Mega Medicham has always been a really fun mon for me to use, i had another medicham team in oras but i felt it didn't really make the most out of it, so wanted to give it a shot and make something myself. Shotouts starry blanket for initial help with the team, and Finchinator for further details in movesets or ev spreads. The team did really well on the tournament, and i got to 5th on ladder as well.
edit: this has also been updated after my recent smogon tour run, in which i pretty much exclusively got points in regular season using this team.

:medicham-mega:
As said in the intro, i wanted to start with medicham-mega. Bar a few mons, this thing 2HKOs or straight up OHKOs everything, and having double priority is always great to get some revenge kills (think: volcarona, keldeo, hell i even bullet punched 6 times vs a bisharp in a row and it worked),

:medicham-mega: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash:
Now, having this great wallbreaker i need a way to get it in, so i added a nice defensive volturn core in landorus therian + rotom-w. Lando brings many great resistances + stealth rocks, and rotom-w is really annoying to a lot of mons in oras, and burn damage + volturn damage stacks up real fast.

:medicham-mega: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: :tyranitar: :excadrill:
Now, there are a few things that mega medicham cant break. I found helmet slowbro to be a common mon in teams, and it completely walls the medicham set i wanted to use. So, choice band tyranitar seemd like a great addition. It also traps stuff like (mega) lati@s and pressures walls very well, so this + medicham seem'd like a great counterplay vs stall. As the team had no scarfer (or sweeper/cleaner), might as well add excadrill, which adds speed to the team, a clefable check, and a spinner.

:medicham-mega: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: :tyranitar: :excadrill: :tornadus-therian:
At that point, the team was looking very keldeo weak, so av tornadus-therian gave me a solid switch in, added to the volturn core, and served as general utility with knock off, plus being a great check to stuff like serperior and gengar.

In depth:

el patadas (Medicham-Mega) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
The star of the show. STABs + Double priority work well in offense, and with adamant it hits hard enough to 2hko even stuff like physical defensive skarmory, which is just insane to me. It also has a nice to have base 100 speed as well, so its not revenge-killed too easily, and having a breaker that takes resisted sr damage is excellent, as it allows me to bring it in as many times as i want during games without taking too much chip damage.
Fake out is a really great tool to clean up games later on, and prevent stuff like volcarona from sweeping you. Burning turns vs screens/rain is excellent as well. Bullet punch adds to this as well, not having to worry too much about stuff like mega-diancie is nice. Zen could potentially be changed for ice punch but i found Zen Headbutt to be overall best coverage given the pursuit support, and having an extra punch vs Clefable, amoongus and more is great.

:landorus-therian:
el wen perro (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
Lando-t is a stample in competitive mons ever since it was introduced in gen 5, and for a good reason: excellent attack, defensive typing + intimidate and a diverse moveset makes up for a solid mon. Being a hard stop to most physical attackers is great, while giving me stealth rocks, momentum with u-turn, and hitting decently hard while at it. Hidden Power Ice was added to threaten opposing landorus-therian and tankchomps immediately, so medicham doesnt have to waste a turn hitting them (helmet damage adds up real fast), and to pressure gliscor but it honestly doesnt to much to it, it just allows me to u-turn on a roost to rotom-w or my own mega medi (people will always scout for ice punch).
I opted for maximum defense investment to take on physical attackers, while having -speed natur in order to have slow uturns vs opposing landos.

:rotom-wash:
la lavadora (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Rotom-w's typing + levitate is sick. Checks a lot of mons while annoying the opposing team with will-o-wisp, and volt switch is great to keep momentum, and possibly bring medicham in. The ability to stay in vs so many mons and cripple them is great, while also having enough evs to be able to burn adamant bisharp (big threat to the team), + azumarill and crawdaunt.
Moveset is pretty standard, volt switch as mentioned gives you momentum, Hydro Pump is a strong STAB move, and my main tool to beat opposing Gliscor, Will-O-Wisp for burns and Pain Split for somewhat consistent recovery, depending on the opposing team structure (it's mostly great vs stall, pain split into volt switch does wonders.)

:tyranitar:
el puñetes (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
Choice Band Tyranitar has some serious punch, although its main role is to pursuit trap things that could stop either Medicham or Excadrill. All of slowbro, tornadus-t (standard spread only has a 37.5% chance to OHKO ttar with superpower), lati@s take some serious damage from a pursuit on a switch, which they should unless they want to eat a crunch, and as Tyranitar usually comes in vs these mons after a volt-switch or U-turn, he manages to get those koes most of the time.
Pursuit has already been explained to be the trapping tool, Crunch is strong STAB, same with Stone Edge, and Fire Punch lets you get some surprise damage on opposing ferrothorn, or surprise koes vs mega scizor.
The EVs let it outspeed 4 speed evs rotom-w and below, max attack and the rest in hp.

:excadrill:
el topo (Excadrill) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
Being the fastest thing in the tier is amazing. Excadrill brings a wincon and revenge killer mon to the team, which really appreciates having Medicham + Tyranitar to force your opp to use their defensive resources. STAB Earthquake and Iron Head give great coverage overall, Rapid Spin works as utility to keep hazards off the field, which any volt-turn team appreciates, and Swords Dance works as a way to push through the enemy team, if needed.
Having a steel type in particular seems like a must for any ORAS team, as Clefable is one of the best mons in the tier and having a somewhat reliable (beware flamethrower) way of hitting clef is invaluable.

:tornadus-therian:
pajarón (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Tornadus-Therian rounds up the team as the "glue". With its great bulk as speed torn is a great check to stuff like serperior and keldeo, which would be great threats otherwise.
Hurricane is strong STAB, although not very reliable, Heat Wave lets me put further pressure vs Scizor and Ferrothorn while also hitting serperior hard in case i don't want to risk a Hurricane miss, U-Turn gives momentum to the team in order to bring in the breakers, and Hidden Power Ice was added mainly for opposing Gliscor, while also nailing some good damage vs tankchomp and opposing landorus-t.
EVs were optimized a bit thanks to Fated Keys suggestion.

Closing words
I really like the concept of the team as 2 breakers make the stall matchup decent enough, and excadrill + tornadus work great vs most HO teams. There are probably teams similar to this as sand + volturn + breaker is a standard structure for builds, but i had a lot of fun using this team and working through it to get to the final results.

As a threat list, some troublesome mons are:

:scizor-mega:
In particular i got owned a couple times in ladder to the offensive variant, as i have no fire moves and if it outspeeds rotom-w i cant burn it. Even if its not the offensive fast variant, sufficient chip damage on rotom-w would lead to my defeat.

:bisharp:
The sole reason i ended up making rotom-w fast and not 252/252+ defense is this guy. Sucker priority + iron head to smack ttar makes it threatening.

Don't really have a switch in for this guy, usually i try and trade a bit of damage with my own rotom to get medicham in somehow.

:clefable:
Although i have 3 mons that hit clef hard, its still tough to switch into if it has flamethrower, you gotta expect the flame coming and go ttar or torn first, and then exca.

:amoonguss: :tangrowth:
No sleep absorber makes these guys annoying, helment tang in particular sucks for ttar and medicham as chip damage will stack real quickly.

And theres some other troublesome mons but these are the ones that gave me the most trouble while playing.
ORAS has never been my favorite tier, but its cool that offensive teams like this can work decently well, and i look forward to playing some more.
Thanks for reading!
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:
I think one of the few things I'd suggest in changing is the Tornadus set. Since you don't have superpower, knockoff/uturn aren't too reliable for damage purposes, which allows you to run timid nature over hasty, improving your defenses further. Is there a specific reason why there needs to be 160 spatt, since most torn's nowadays are more invested into hp, with roughly around 88 ev's in spatt to better secure a 2hitKO on gliscor with hp ice. It's not a 100% roll, so you can always add more spatt, but I think 160 might be a bit much. Another thing, and it's "more of a preference", but having 365 speed over 375 speed also works well on Torn. You typically don't need to outspeed other Torns, and since you have rotom, you'll guarantee a slower uturn, while using those added EV's into increasing your bulk further. You maintain the 365 speed to secure the uturn over things like Scarf Tyranitar, along with slower mons such as Starmie, lati twins, Serperior, pretty much what the 375 set does. Base LO Alakazam will still outspeed you, but more players run mega zam, which doesn't 2hit KO AV torn until rocks are up. If you feel zam will be an issue though, you could still maintain the 375 speed, but uturn + fakeout + bp should still kill it anyways/ if sand is up, drill will have a solid advantage.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
I think one of the few things I'd suggest in changing is the Tornadus set. Since you don't have superpower, knockoff/uturn aren't too reliable for damage purposes, which allows you to run timid nature over hasty, improving your defenses further. Is there a specific reason why there needs to be 160 spatt, since most torn's nowadays are more invested into hp, with roughly around 88 ev's in spatt to better secure a 2hitKO on gliscor with hp ice. It's not a 100% roll, so you can always add more spatt, but I think 160 might be a bit much. Another thing, and it's "more of a preference", but having 365 speed over 375 speed also works well on Torn. You typically don't need to outspeed other Torns, and since you have rotom, you'll guarantee a slower uturn, while using those added EV's into increasing your bulk further. You maintain the 365 speed to secure the uturn over things like Scarf Tyranitar, along with slower mons such as Starmie, lati twins, Serperior, pretty much what the 375 set does. Base LO Alakazam will still outspeed you, but more players run mega zam, which doesn't 2hit KO AV torn until rocks are up. If you feel zam will be an issue though, you could still maintain the 375 speed, but uturn + fakeout + bp should still kill it anyways/ if sand is up, drill will have a solid advantage.
You bring up great points over the torn set - i could very much try more bulk and see if i miss the damage output, along with the speed benchmark you said. Vs alakazam i can still just uturn out into medicham, so that works.
Thanks for the rate!

No Problem, I've battled ya on the ladder a few times in the past on various alts, so when I saw the post, I recognized the team hahahaha. It's a solid volt/turn team for sure.

Hey! Been a while since i made a RMT, and after i had an ok run at the latest oras global championship (top 6), i had a lot of fun using this team, so i wanted to share it with this RMT.
Mega Medicham has always been a really fun mon for me to use, i had another medicham team in oras but i felt it didn't really make the most out of it, so wanted to give it a shot and make something myself. Shotouts starry blanket for initial help with the team, and Finchinator for further details in movesets or ev spreads. The team did really well on the tournament, and i got to 5th on ladder as well.
edit: this has also been updated after my recent smogon tour run, in which i pretty much exclusively got points in regular season using this team.

As said in the intro, i wanted to start with medicham-mega. Bar a few mons, this thing 2HKOs or straight up OHKOs everything, and having double priority is always great to get some revenge kills (think: volcarona, keldeo, hell i even bullet punched 6 times vs a bisharp in a row and it worked),

:medicham-mega: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash:
Now, having this great wallbreaker i need a way to get it in, so i added a nice defensive volturn core in landorus therian + rotom-w. Lando brings many great resistances + stealth rocks, and rotom-w is really annoying to a lot of mons in oras, and burn damage + volturn damage stacks up real fast.

:medicham-mega: :landorus-therian: :rotom-wash: :tyranitar: :excadrill:
Now, there are a few things that mega medicham cant break. I found helmet slowbro to be a common mon in teams, and it completely walls the medicham set i wanted to use. So, choice band tyranitar seemd like a great addition. It also traps stuff like (mega) lati@s and pressures walls very well, so this + medicham seem'd like a great counterplay vs stall. As the team had no scarfer (or sweeper/cleaner), might as well add excadrill, which adds speed to the team, a clefable check, and a spinner.

At that point, the team was looking very keldeo weak, so av tornadus-therian gave me a solid switch in, added to the volturn core, and served as general utility with knock off, plus being a great check to stuff like serperior and gengar.

In depth:

Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
The star of the show. STABs + Double priority work well in offense, and with adamant it hits hard enough to 2hko even stuff like physical defensive skarmory, which is just insane to me. It also has a nice to have base 100 speed as well, so its not revenge-killed too easily, and having a breaker that takes resisted sr damage is excellent, as it allows me to bring it in as many times as i want during games without taking too much chip damage.
Fake out is a really great tool to clean up games later on, and prevent stuff like volcarona from sweeping you. Burning turns vs screens/rain is excellent as well. Bullet punch adds to this as well, not having to worry too much about stuff like mega-diancie is nice. Zen could potentially be changed for ice punch but i found Zen Headbutt to be overall best coverage given the pursuit support, and having an extra punch vs Clefable, amoongus and more is great.

:landorus-therian:
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
Lando-t is a stample in competitive mons ever since it was introduced in gen 5, and for a good reason: excellent attack, defensive typing + intimidate and a diverse moveset makes up for a solid mon. Being a hard stop to most physical attackers is great, while giving me stealth rocks, momentum with u-turn, and hitting decently hard while at it. Hidden Power Ice was added to threaten opposing landorus-therian and tankchomps immediately, so medicham doesnt have to waste a turn hitting them (helmet damage adds up real fast), and to pressure gliscor but it honestly doesnt to much to it, it just allows me to u-turn on a roost to rotom-w or my own mega medi (people will always scout for ice punch).
I opted for maximum defense investment to take on physical attackers, while having -speed natur in order to have slow uturns vs opposing landos.

Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Rotom-w's typing + levitate is sick. Checks a lot of mons while annoying the opposing team with will-o-wisp, and volt switch is great to keep momentum, and possibly bring medicham in. The ability to stay in vs so many mons and cripple them is great, while also having enough evs to be able to burn adamant bisharp (big threat to the team), + azumarill and crawdaunt.
Moveset is pretty standard, volt switch as mentioned gives you momentum, Hydro Pump is a strong STAB move, and my main tool to beat opposing Gliscor, Will-O-Wisp for burns and Pain Split for somewhat consistent recovery, depending on the opposing team structure (it's mostly great vs stall, pain split into volt switch does wonders.)

:tyranitar:
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
Choice Band Tyranitar has some serious punch, although its main role is to pursuit trap things that could stop either Medicham or Excadrill. All of slowbro, tornadus-t (standard spread only has a 37.5% chance to OHKO ttar with superpower), lati@s take some serious damage from a pursuit on a switch, which they should unless they want to eat a crunch, and as Tyranitar usually comes in vs these mons after a volt-switch or U-turn, he manages to get those koes most of the time.
Pursuit has already been explained to be the trapping tool, Crunch is strong STAB, same with Stone Edge, and Fire Punch lets you get some surprise damage on opposing ferrothorn, or surprise koes vs mega scizor.
The EVs let it outspeed 4 speed evs rotom-w and below, max attack and the rest in hp.

:excadrill:
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
Being the fastest thing in the tier is amazing. Excadrill brings a wincon and revenge killer mon to the team, which really appreciates having Medicham + Tyranitar to force your opp to use their defensive resources. STAB Earthquake and Iron Head give great coverage overall, Rapid Spin works as utility to keep hazards off the field, which any volt-turn team appreciates, and Swords Dance works as a way to push through the enemy team, if needed.
Having a steel type in particular seems like a must for any ORAS team, as Clefable is one of the best mons in the tier and having a somewhat reliable (beware flamethrower) way of hitting clef is invaluable.

:tornadus-therian:
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Tornadus-Therian rounds up the team as the "glue". With its great bulk as speed torn is a great check to stuff like serperior and keldeo, which would be great threats otherwise.
Hurricane is strong STAB, although not very reliable, Heat Wave lets me put further pressure vs Scizor and Ferrothorn while also hitting serperior hard in case i don't want to risk a Hurricane miss, U-Turn gives momentum to the team in order to bring in the breakers, and Hidden Power Ice was added mainly for opposing Gliscor, while also nailing some good damage vs tankchomp and opposing landorus-t.
EVs were optimized a bit thanks to Fated Keys suggestion.

Closing words
I really like the concept of the team as 2 breakers make the stall matchup decent enough, and excadrill + tornadus work great vs most HO teams. There are probably teams similar to this as sand + volturn + breaker is a standard structure for builds, but i had a lot of fun using this team and working through it to get to the final results.

As a threat list, some troublesome mons are:

:scizor-mega:
In particular i got owned a couple times in ladder to the offensive variant, as i have no fire moves and if it outspeeds rotom-w i cant burn it. Even if its not the offensive fast variant, sufficient chip damage on rotom-w would lead to my defeat.

:bisharp:
The sole reason i ended up making rotom-w fast and not 252/252+ defense is this guy. Sucker priority + iron head to smack ttar makes it threatening.

Don't really have a switch in for this guy, usually i try and trade a bit of damage with my own rotom to get medicham in somehow.

:clefable:
Although i have 3 mons that hit clef hard, its still tough to switch into if it has flamethrower, you gotta expect the flame coming and go ttar or torn first, and then exca.

:amoonguss: :tangrowth:
No sleep absorber makes these guys annoying, helment tang in particular sucks for ttar and medicham as chip damage will stack real quickly.

And theres some other troublesome mons but these are the ones that gave me the most trouble while playing.
ORAS has never been my favorite tier, but its cool that offensive teams like this can work decently well, and i look forward to playing some more.
Thanks for reading!
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
really weak to opposing rotom, keep dat in mind fosho. wisps everything

How do you deal with bulky water types? Rotom, Slowbro, etc... Tangrowth would fit really well instead of Landorus.

- Water type checker
- Immune to powder moves
- Regenerator Core with Tornadus

The team seems fun! Good job!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)