SV OU Maushold Magnezone Meowscarada MVolt-Turn (Peak 1950 #23)

With the recent releases of Walking Wake, Iron Leaves, and Zoroark-Hisui, I started playing OU again intending to experiment with these new additions. Instead, I turned to a Pokémon that had seen a lot of usage in the first few weeks of SV OU, but has quickly fallen off since: Maushold. Maushold is one of the strongest Pokémon in the game in terms of raw damage output with unboosted Population Bomb hitting harder than Dragapult’s 252+ Choice Band Tera Dragon Dragon Darts or Chien-Pao’s +2 252 Crunch. It also sits at Base 111 Spe, giving it opportunities to click its powerful move against most non-scarfed opponents, and has a Dragon Dance that removes hazards in the face of Gholdengo’s Good as Gold. This team attempts to highlight these positives by means of pivot moves and trapping. I’ve had a lot of success and, most importantly, a lot of fun with this team as I laddered from my previous peak in the 1700s to 1945 undefeated and later to 1950. So, without further delay, here is the team!

Team Explanation:

Levi Mauss & Co. (Maushold) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Population Bomb
- Tidy Up
- Bite
- Encore

Overview: Maushold is the main wallbreaker. With Population Bomb, it can OHKO most offensive Pokémon and 2HKO many physically defensive ones. It can also act as an emergency Ghost immunity, neutralize non-speed boosting set-up sweepers, or threaten to sweep. With 74/70/75 defenses, Maushold is by no means bulky, but it can live, for example, Cinderace’s Pyro Ball in a pinch and OHKO in return.

Set Details: Population Bomb is the main reason to run Maushold, offsetting its meager Base 75 Atk with a 300 BP move after Technician. Wide Lens raises the odds of hitting 10 times from ~34.9% to ~90.4%. Population Bomb is a multi-hit move. This is both a blessing — it breaks through Focus Sash, Multiscale and Substitute — and a curse — it activates contact-based effects such as Rough Skin, Rocky Helmet, and Flame Body with each hit. Tidy Up removes hazards, increasing the longevity of a relatively frail team, and boosts Atk and Spe by +1, giving Maushold a set-up option. Bite is Maushold’s best move against Ghost-types and comes with a possibly game-winning 30% flinch rate. Encore gives the team another way to check set-up from Pokémon like Swords Dance or Bulk Up Ceruledge and Curse Garganacl. It also locks Kingambit into Sucker Punch.

252 Atk Technician Maushold Population Bomb (10 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur: 370-450 (99.7 - 121.2%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Technician Maushold Population Bomb (10 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 210-250 (48.3 - 57.6%) -- approx. 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Technician Maushold Population Bomb (10 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ting-Lu: 280-340 (54.4 - 66.1%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Technician Maushold Bite vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge: 136-162 (33 - 39.4%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Maushold: 243-286 (84 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 132 SpA Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Maushold: 240-283 (83 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Magnez Carlsen (Magnezone) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 84 HP / 248 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Tera Blast
- Flash Cannon

Overview: Magnezone traps Corviknight, Kingambit, and bulky Scizor for Maushold, Meowscarada, and, to a lesser extent, Amoonguss. Otherwise, it is a bulky pivot thanks to its solid typing, stats, and Volt Switch. This is one of your main Tera options. Before Tera, Magnezone is the team’s best offensive switch-in to Toxapex and Amoonguss.

Set Details: Volt Switch lets Magnezone slowly pivot to a more threatening teammate. Thunderbolt is Magnezone’s strongest move against Corviknight, Kingambit, and Scizor pre-Tera. Tera Fighting Tera Blast OHKOs Kingambit. Without a boosting item, Thunderbolt is neither a guaranteed KO on 248/8 SpDef Corviknight nor a guaranteed 2HKO on 112/0 SpDef Leftovers Kingambit, but you often just need to weaken the two. With 84 HP EVs, Magnezone lives Kowtow Cleave into Sucker Punch from 252+ Kingambit with no fallen allies. 176 Spe EVs outspeeds 252 Kingambit. Flash Cannon is STAB and 2HKOs Great Tusk. Between Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon, you are usually able to hit Hatterene (Tera Water / Flying) and Garganacl (Tera Water / Fairy / Flying) super effectively before and after they Tera. Assault Vest slightly improves your matchup against Dragapult, Gholdengo, and Greninja.

248+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Corviknight: 366-432 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
248+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 186-219 (50.4 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
248+ SpA Tera Fighting Magnezone Tera Blast vs. 112 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 660-780 (178.8 - 211.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 139-165 (46 - 54.6%) -- 55.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 115-136 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 118-141 (39 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Slowne Ranger (Slowking) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Chilly Reception
- Surf
- Future Sight
- Slack Off

Overview: Slowking is the team’s blanket special check and a slow pivot. It counters Armarouge and checks Skeledirge, Walking Wake, and Iron Moth, although with its 95/110 SpDef bulk, it can also take a STAB super effective hit from Dragapult, Gholdengo, or Greninja before switching into a teammate. Slowking annoys weather teams, eases the Garganacl matchup, and can help break bulkier teams with Future Sight.

Set Details: Chilly Reception gives Maushold, Meowscarada, or Cinderace a free switch-in, removes sun and rain, and lets it enter on Garganacl’s Salt Cure then pivot into a teammate after taking at most 30% after Regenerator. Surf is a reliable STAB move, dealing good damage to most Pokémon it wants to switch in on. Tera Water flips matchups against Dragapult, Gholdengo, and Skeledirge. Tera Water Surf can put Skeledirge in range for Maushold’s Bite. Future Sight can put your opponent into an uncomfortable situation and synergizes well with Cinderace’s Pyro Ball. Slack Off and Heavy Duty Boots improve Slowking’s longevity and let it check Walking Wake more reliably.

0 SpA Tera Water Slowking Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 224-268 (54.5 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking in Sun: 138-162 (35 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 298-352 (75.6 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 222-264 (56.3 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Amoon-Ra St. Brown (Amoonguss) @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Foul Play

Overview: Amoonguss is the team’s blanket physical check. It is the switch-in to Breloom, Great Tusk, Iron Valiant and more thanks to its resistances and 114/70 Def bulk. Amoonguss spreads status and acts as a “Get Out of Jail Free” card with Eject Button.

Set Details: Eject Button is endlessly useful. It provides a free switch to a fast wallbreaker, lets Magnezone avoid coming in on Corviknight’s or Scizor’s U-turn or Kingambit’s Kowtow Cleave, or gives Slowking a free Regenerator. Spore puts an opposing Pokémon to sleep, allowing for another free switch. Sludge Bomb is Amoonguss’ strongest reliable move and threatens Grass-types and Hatterene that would otherwise block Spore. Giga Drain improves Amoonguss’ longevity alongside Regenerator and hits Rotom-Wash much harder than Grass Knot. Foul Play hits physical attackers hard and prevents Roost Dragonite from reliably setting up. Tera Dark removes all of your weaknesses and gives you a STAB Foul Play. 248/232+ Def makes Great Tusk’s 252 Headlong Rush a 3HKO.

252+ Atk Tera Dark Amoonguss Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur: 198-234 (53.3 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 248 HP / 232+ Def Amoonguss: 181-214 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Breloom Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 232+ Def Amoonguss: 148-174 (34.3 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Iron Valiant Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 232+ Def Amoonguss: 152-180 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mr. Meowgi (Meowscarada) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Flower Trick
- U-turn
- Play Rough

Overview: Meowscarada is the fastest viable Choice Scarf user, outspeeding everything at +1 except for Jolly Dragapult as well as most Pokémon at +2 like Armarouge and Polteageist. It has STAB U-turn, can remove items, and is overall a nice surprise factor.

Set Details: Knock Off is especially useful in removing Amoonguss’ or Toxapex’s Rocky Helmet for Maushold, although leaving your opponent without an item is always good. Flower Trick is your strongest move and can be boosted by Tera Grass. U-turn lets Meowscarada pivot out of a bad matchup or forced switch. Play Rough is the best move hit Garchomp, Iron Valiant, and Walking Wake and synergizes incredibly well with Protean and Meowscarada’s typing. Choice Scarf allows Meowscarada to outspeed most everything after a single turn of set-up.

252 Atk Meowscarada Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 356-422 (112.3 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Meowscarada Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge: 284-336 (69 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Meowscarada Flower Trick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk on a critical hit: 186-218 (42.8 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Protean Meowscarada U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 284-336 (99.6 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Protean Meowscarada Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 288-338 (99.3 - 116.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Fairy Meowscarada: 198-233 (67.5 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Cinde Crawford (Cinderace) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
Tera Type: Fire
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
- Court Change

Overview: Cinderace is a fast pivot. With STAB Pyro Ball into STAB U-turn, it is excellent at maintaining momentum. Cinderace is also more reliable hazard control than Maushold, a backup revenge killer, and the team’s best Volcarona check.

Set Details: Pyro Ball is Cinderace’s best Fire STAB and doesn’t use up Libero. It pairs well with Slowking’s Future Sight and can be boosted further with Tera Fire if necessary. U-turn lets Cinderace pivot out, damaging the opponent and scouting a switch. Sucker Punch hits Dragapult hard, KOs most Volcarona after a Pyro Ball, and lets Cinderace play mind games. Court Change in conjunction with Heavy-Duty Boots makes your opponent think twice before setting hazards. This works against Gholdengo and can set hazards on Hatterene.

252 Atk Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Volcarona: 220-261 (58.9 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Libero Cinderace Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Volcarona: 129-153 (34.5 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 378-446 (100 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Libero Cinderace Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 270-318 (85.1 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cinderace: 128-151 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 114-135 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Major Threats:

Skeledirge walls Maushold and Cinderace. It can Substitute on Amoonguss or get a free Will-O-Wisp, depending on its set. Try to limit its switch-in opportunites with aggressive plays and Meowscarada's Knock Off. Maushold's Encore can also be used to punish Ghost moves targeted at Slowking. As a last resort, Tera Water Slowking is a reliable answer.

Choice Band Great Tusk gets a KO with Headlong Rush after Amoonguss' Eject Button is used. Maushold and Meowscarada can OHKO a -1 0/0 Great Tusk, while Maushold also OHKOs with Tera Normal. Be careful to not give it free entry on Magnezone's Volt Switch.

An opposing Cinderace has incredible coverage against this team. You can try to pivot from Slowking on Pyro Ball to Cinderace on U-turn to mitigate damage, but this is obviously unreliable. Anything stronger than a Pyro Ball or Sludge Bomb puts Cinderace in range of Meowscarada's Knock Off.

Other Options:
+ Toxic
Toxic is used to catch Skeledirge off guard. You can combine this with a Tera Type that resists fire to improve the team's match-up against Cinderace and Volcarona as well.

/

Magnet guarantees the KO on 248/8 SpDef Corviknight and 2HKO on 112/0 SpDef Leftovers Kingambit. This frees up EVs to invest in HP and Def, giving Magnezone the opportunity to take on Kingambit with multiple fallen allies or Black Glasses without using Tera. Expert Belt is similar and lets Magnezone use Tera Fire or Tera Ground Tera Blast, both of which now OHKO Kingambit.

Replays:
vs. 1739:torkoal::dragonite::great tusk::kingambit::hatterene::walking wake:
vs. 1912:baxcalibur::dragapult::slowking::kingambit::great tusk::cinderace:
vs. 1767:meowscarada::baxcalibur::walking wake::great tusk::iron moth::kingambit:
vs. 2042:torkoal::walking wake::corviknight::scream tail::great tusk::brute bonnet:
vs. 1989:dragapult::iron valiant::baxcalibur::kingambit::rotom-wash::garchomp:
vs. 1869:kingambit::great tusk::skeledirge::rotom-wash::greninja::meowscarada:

PokePaste:
With nicknames::maushold::magnezone::slowking::amoonguss::meowscarada::cinderace:
Without nicknames::maushold::magnezone::slowking::amoonguss::meowscarada::cinderace:

Peak:
Screenshot 2023-03-05 000238.png

Hope you have fun with the team!

Last edited:

MurderousMantyke

What sʇᴉɯᴉ⅂?
The random Magnus Carlsen reference for Zone makes this absolutely peak. The team is surprisingly very well thought-out, amazing job making Maus shine.

I love it! Very creative! Taking Maushold to 1950s is indeed impressive. I'd say Maushold's main issue that it can't seem to get around is Volcarona, with the extremely high chance of Flame Body. Helmets can be Knocked Off and Future Sight can deal with Rough Skin users, but that Flame Body is devastating. This team does a good job of neutralizing Volcarona in other ways. Once again, great RMT! :D

really like this team, but just wondering how do you answer roaring moon
Thanks so much!

From my experience, the most common Roaring Moon sets are Choice Band + Protosynthesis Speed or Choice Scarf + Protosynthesis Attack on Sun and Booster Energy Dragon Dance.

Roaring Moon @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dark / Steel / Ground
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Atk / 252 Spe OR 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Earthquake / Iron Head
- U-turn

If Amoonguss' Eject Button is available, it can be used to get a free switch to Meowscarada, which outspeeds and threatens with U-turn. Unless they are locked into Outrage, U-turn is typically better than Play Rough in case they switch to Torkoal. Otherwise, Amoonguss can scout Roaring Moon's move and swap to a resist or Spore if it is guaranteed to live the second hit. This is not ideal and can give your opponent a lot of momentum, but, luckily, this team has relatively short games against sun teams — most of which don't have a Population Bomb answer —, so you should only be in this situation once or twice a game, if at all. Unfortunately, I don't have any replays saved versus Roaring Moon sun teams, so this is just from what I remember.

Screenshot 2023-03-19 014254.png

Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Flying / Steel / Dark
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Actobatics / Iron Head
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Taunt / Roost / Substitute

This Roaring Moon probably should've been on my threat list, but to be honest I didn't run into it at all and forgot about it. +2 Tera Flying Roaring Moon outspeeds and OHKOs everything on this team. At that point, your best options are mind games with Tera Fighting Magnezone and Cinderace's Sucker Punch. Until then, you should use a pivot move into Amoonguss. Tera Dark Amoonguss nearly always lives +1 252+ Tera Flying Acrobatics and guaranteed OHKOs with Foul Play at 92.3%. If Roaring Moon sets up against Slowking, it likely hasn't used Tera, meaning it still resists Foul Play, and will be at 100%. Here, you can use Spore, although it is unreliable given the popularity of Taunt and Substitute. If Roaring Moon's teammate already used Tera, Meowscarada is now a reliable check at +1 and you have the option to bring it in aggresively on a predicted Dragon Dance. Against hyper offense, I'd recommend using Amoonguss' Eject Button early in order to not be forced out at an inconvenient time.

Orthworm's Shed Tail into Roaring Moon is especially scary. Slowking is the only member that can't break the Substitute, so if you have Slowking in against Orthworm, you are forced to Chilly Reception. It should also be noted that Maushold lives everything except Tera Flying Acrobatics, outspeeds Adamant Roaring Moon, and OHKOs through Substitute.

I didn't have any replays saved versus Booster Energy Roaring Moon, but I managed to find some on the ladder today. These don't completely match my advice and neither used Tera Flying, but they're the best I have at the moment.

vs. 1767:Iron Valiant::Roaring Moon::Kingambit::Iron Moth::Orthworm::Dragonite:
vs. 1823:Roaring Moon::Gholdengo::Meowscarada::Iron Valiant::Garchomp::Iron Moth:(Pretend I clicked Foul Play on Turn 27 instead of breaking Sleep Clause.)

Last edited:
amazing job! I personally can't use the team, I can't stop buffed pokes like hawlucha, roaring moon etc. Just a simple dragon dance/ sword dance + tera and is over.

I just came to say that I find it hilarious how people in the replays just don't know how powerful Maushold are. I played VGC for some time so I know :D

And while I'm at it, I'll also say that I find the team very fun and interesting! I'll continue watching these great replays :)

amazing job! I personally can't use the team, I can't stop buffed pokes like hawlucha, roaring moon etc. Just a simple dragon dance/ sword dance + tera and is over.
Fast set-up Pokémon can definitely be challenging for a frail team that relies on a Scarfer to revenge kill. I typically try to deal with them the same way I recommended answering Roaring Moon although, of course, there are some minor differences. Slowking lives a hit from Hawlucha and can threaten with Future Sight, Maushold outspeeds and has a 93.8% chance to OHKO Baxcalibur, and Amoonguss can beat most Dragapult and Dragonite without having to remove a weakness with Tera, just to name a few. Positioning is really important to prevent a free set-up turn for the most threatening opponents, but all the pivot moves can really help with this! In general, you have to play aggresively to beat these teams before they beat you.

I just came to say that I find it hilarious how people in the replays just don't know how powerful Maushold are. I played VGC for some time so I know :D

And while I'm at it, I'll also say that I find the team very fun and interesting! I'll continue watching these great replays :)
Maushold needs a lot of support, but it can be really strong!

Here's another replay of Maushold taking over a game, if you're interested :)
vs. 1846:armarouge::glimmora::quaquaval::kingambit::grimmsnarl::iron moth:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)