Media Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Wave 5/6 speculation + Hopes

SO

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe™ got its 4th wave of DLC (downloadable content) not too long ago.
Now I'm a competitive mario kart 8 deluxe player. Don't believe me? Watch this video of me absolutely annihilating, destroying, demolishing, knocking down, ..., etc. Mex on Animal Crossing (Winter).

Cool. Now that we're on the same page, let's get down to business. What tracks are you hoping will make an appearance in wave 5/6 of the DLC?
Personally, I really want Moonview Highway, WII Bowser's castle, Airship Fortress, and Rosalina's Ice World to make an appearance. I think that'd be cool.

Please only respond with correct opinions!

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
+1 for Airship Fortress, and I'd also love for Super Circuit's rainbow road to come back. Since there are four missing Rainbow Roads from previous episodes (Gamecube, GBA, DS, Wii), they might even manage to fit them all in the final cup, who knows?

As for the characters, I don't have any specific request for Mario-universe characters as I'm satisfied with the current roster. It would be nice to have more characters from other licenses as we have some from Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, so I would enjoy being able to race with Pikachu or some Fire Emblem character! Probably very low chance of happening though, so I'm not getting my hopes too high.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Booster Pack 5:
-GCN DK Mountain
-Tour Las Angelas Laps
-7 Rosalina’s Ice World
-GBA Bowser’s Castle 1

-GCN Mushroom Bridge
-64 Koopa Troopa Beach
-Wii Moonview Highway
-Tour Piranha Plant Cove

Booster Pack 6:
-GCN Daisy Cruiser
-Wii Shy Guy Beach
-7 Luigi’s Mansion
-Tour Vancouver Velocity

-Wii Delfino Square
-GCN Mushroom City
-64 Bowser’s Castle
-Original Track

New Characters:
-Diddy Kong
-Petey Piranha
-Kamek
-Wiggler
-Cappy

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Wii Moonview Highway was, at one point, my single best track in the series going off of consistency and improvements. While I didn’t have access to the online scene for a long, long time, I pretty much grew up racing on this course, and it has a special place in my heart as being the first track I ever devoted myself to mastering.

If this one comes back in a future DLC wave… all I can say is, watch out.

Aside from Moonview Highway, the ones I’d want to see return the most would probably be some of the GCN tracks that have never been remade before, such as Wario Colloseum or Bowser’s Castle, but realistically they’d probably just go with one of the existing remakes from Tour.

DS Airship Fortress
Both Wuhu Tracks
Koopa Cape
Literally any double dash track there's so many bangers
New third party track? Maybe something botw based or just something completely different, like a kirby air ride track lmao

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Don't care about any track other than Koopa Cape, will shit if we get it

Character wants:
Paper Mario
Kamek or Wiggler
King Bob-omb

Super hot take predict:
Captain Falcon + 3rd track collab

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
Okay, hear me out. Rosalina used to have a Luma follow her around in Mario Kart Wii, which a lot of people- myself included- were sad to see not be a thing anymore in future games. So I say, screw it, give the Luma its own character slot and watch the world burn. Make it a featherweight character like the babies and have the different color choices while we’re at it. If they ever decide to add special items to Mario Kart, they could even give Luma a Star Bit projectile much like this Rosalina’s Side Special move works in Smash Bros.. Hey, if the Yoshi/Birdo Eggs can be like glorified Red Shells, these can be like better Green Shells. It just works.

Aside from this idea which I like even more the more I think about it, my most wanted characters would probably be Kamek, Diddy, Dixie, and/or Funky Kong (I’d imagine not every single Kong would be added), and Petey Piranha. If DLC slot character #6 (the very bottom row) gets saved for another third-party character, seeing R.O.B. again for the first time since Mario Kart DS also sounds like fun.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
after seeing nintendo keep the dk summit shortcut, i have more confidence that they will keep the dry dry ruins ultra intact should it return

i am still not confident in this however

• Wow
Reactions: nya

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
after seeing nintendo keep the dk summit shortcut, i have more confidence that they will keep the dry dry ruins ultra intact should it return

i am still not confident in this however
These are both niché shortcuts that get into a bit of a grey area. By definition, a glitch shortcut (what we call ultra shortcuts) are any shortcuts that are created out of exploiting the game's mechanics to skip progress that the developers either did not intend for, or only works because of some external hardware and/or coding error. This description fits neither of these shortcuts, given Mario Kart Wii's ordered checkpoint system. The way checkpoints work in most Mario Kart games is that there are several invisible progress flags set up throughout each course that the player must cross over in a certain order to make the lap count. Often times, checkpoint lines are widely extended over large gaps to enable potential shortcuts to be possible. The problem is, there are also invisible out-of-bounds barriers on each course. In the case that an out-of-bounds area overlaps a checkpoint line, the out-of-bounds area usually takes priority over the checkpoint flags.

Likely as a response to the large number of discovered glitch shortcuts in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7, both iterations of Mario Kart 8 generally have very strict out-of-bounds zones that would prompt Lakitu to bring the player back in boundsbefore he or she can cross over the next key checkpoint. The lack of an out-of-bounds zone on the DK Summit Double Cut in tandem with with the checkpoint flag lines are placed is why that shortcut works.

In much more simple words, I would expect shortcuts like Mushroom Gorge gap cut or this DK Summit one to stick around, but not a shortcut like the mis-named Dry Dry Ruins "Ultra" shortcut, as it remains to be seen if the checkpoint flags and out-of-bounds zones would be adjusted for a Booster Course Pass remake.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
thanks for the summoning salt lecture fam. in that case i also want gba bowser castle 3 to return even though there is even less confidence in lakitu not trying to fuck with the ultra
I’m… sorry? I suppose I wasn’t seeing this post in the same way you were. I guess I just really like talking about the game mechanics or something? I don’t know. Sorry the post was so long, too.

I'm honestly intrigued to see what characters are added. Thinking potentially one of the kongs? Diddy Kong would be a fine pick.

As long as we don't get something like pink gold luigi or something it should be fine lmao

Since there are four missing Rainbow Roads from previous episodes they might even manage to fit them all in the final cup, who knows?
There were rumours about this and as much as I'd like it I'm not too hopeful on it
Having all rainbow roads in ONE cup imo feels too themed but, who knows, maybe nintendo could surprise us

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm honestly not expecting to see all of these tracks because not all of them fit with the data mines and leaks, but I still have hope.

Here are my predictions/wishlist:

Feather Cup
Tour Athens Avenue (Datamined Athens Track)
GCN Mushroom Bridge
Wii Koopa Cape
DS Airship Fortress

Cherry Cup
Tour Los Angeles Laps
GCN Daisy Cruiser
SNES Bowser Castle 3
Tour Piranha Plant Slide

Acorn Cup
Tour Vancouver Velocity
3DS Wuhu Loop
GBA Sunset Wilds
Whirlpool Washaway (Datamined Bathroom Track)

Spiny Cup
Tour Madrid Maze (Datamined Madrid Track)
GCN DK Mountain
N64 Bowser's Castle
Wii Rainbow Road

Character Predictions
1. Diddy Kong
2. Petey Piranha
3. Funky Kong
4. Pauline
5. Kamek

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I'm honestly not expecting to see all of these tracks because not all of them fit with the data mines and leaks, but I still have hope.

Here are my predictions/wishlist:

Cherry Cup
Tour Piranha Plant Slide

(Skipping Lines)

Character Predictions
1. Diddy Kong
2. Petey Piranha
3. Funky Kong
4. Pauline
5. Kamek
I did some editing to your post for this reply; first and foremost, you probably just meant Piranha Plant Cove and not Slide. An easy typo to make, really. Coincidentally, 3DS Piranha Plant Slide is already in the base game.

As for the characters selections; I’m not entirely sure we’d be getting all three of Pauline, Funky, Petey. We’ll most likely get two middleweight characters counting Birdo, and if Diddy is classified as a lightweight like Bowser Jr. again, we likely won’t see all of the characters you listed in the same selections. They’re good choices, I’ll admit. I just wouldn’t expect to go 5 for 5.

The ONE track I've been waiting for all this time is Wario Colosseum from Double Dash. It's the One track I REALLY REALLY want to see, because I feel like they could go crazy with the antigrav mechanic, and from Kalimari Desert, it's nice to see that revamping tracks isn't off the table.

Otherwise I'd say:
Dino Dino Jungle (DD)
Mushroom City (DD)
Airship Fortress (DS)
Wuhu Loop and Maka Wuhu (7)
DK Mountain (DD)
DK Jungle (64)
Luigi's Mansion (DS)
And if they really want to do something out of left field like they did with Mute city and Big Blue from F-Zero, how about Hot Top Volcano from Diddy Kong Racing? While bringing Diddy back?

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Booster Pack 5:
-GCN DK Mountain
-Tour Las Angelas Laps
-7 Rosalina’s Ice World
-GBA Bowser’s Castle 1

-GCN Mushroom Bridge
-64 Koopa Troopa Beach
-Wii Moonview Highway
-Tour Piranha Plant Cove

Booster Pack 6:
-GCN Daisy Cruiser
-Wii Shy Guy Beach
-7 Luigi’s Mansion
-Tour Vancouver Velocity

-Wii Delfino Square
-GCN Mushroom City
-64 Bowser’s Castle
-Original Track

New Characters:
-Diddy Kong
-Petey Piranha
-Kamek
-Wiggler
-Cappy
I’m 3 for 5 so far on the new characters lets go

I'm very happy Kamek made it in. After getting shafted in the original MK8 & MK64, its finally his time to shine. '

I normally prefer playing light characters like Toadette & Dry Bones due to their better control, but Kamek still plays just fine.

The MK Wii favoritism is pretty great in these DLC packs. I think this is all leading to the inevitable return of Funky Kong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)