Monotype Majestic: Raikou Offense (peaked 1732 #15)

banner raikou.jpg

Banner and text by GoldenTorkoal

introduction raikou.jpg

Hey all, this is GoldenTorkoal with another RMT, the first one of this generation. I always try to build teams with Pokemon that might be under the radar and are niche options for teams, instead of building the classic teams that of course are going to give you the best results, because that's where i enjoy this game. This time i wanted to build around Raikou, a Pokemon with a beautiful design which can help Electric in some matchups and competes for the sixth slot on Electric teams against monsters like Regieleki or Magnezone, which are usually the best choice. However as stated about, my RMTs are always about showcasing a particular Pokemon which does not receive a lot of attention for most of the players. Raikou received a gift this generation: Scald. This move now allows the thunder dog to hit Ground types, which is very valuable because last generation it only had Hidden Power Ice as its only way to hit them. The combination of Pressure+Substitute+Calm Mind forms a dangerous weapon which should be kept an eye on. Let's take a deep look at 'Majestic'.

teambuilding raikou.jpg

As explained above, Raikou was the Pokemon which i wanted to build around. Raikou is a very useful tool versus types like Electric, Flying, Steel, Psychic or Poison, with the combination of Calm Mind and Thunderbolt/Scald. Its ability also plays and important part of the strategy, although it would be amazing to have the same base HP as Suicune, to prevent moves like Seismic Toss or Night Shade to break the Substitute. It is not easy to justify the use of Raikou over Magnezone (which can trap Excadrill, one of the biggest threats for Electric teams) or Regieleki (which murders a lot of Pokemon under terrain), but Raikou is proven to help a lot in several matchups, justifying its use as an anti-metagame pick.

Tapu Koko was the obvious member to be added in the second slot of the team, since it is the most important Pokemon on Electric teams. It is the pillar which makes Electric shine, which would otherwise be one of the worst types in the metagame. Its has an irreplaceable role, setting Electric Terrain upon switch in to increase the power of Electric-type moves by 50%. Its access to coverage moves like Grass Knot just add even more value. I opted for Choice Specs to give him some more power but i will discuss below about other options.

If Tapu Koko is the most important Pokemon for Electric teams, Alolan Raichu is one of the most powerful weapons the type has to succeed in the metagame. It is the best form of speed control Electric teams can have, thanks to its incredible ability, Surge Surfer, which doubles its Speed under Electric Terrain. Once Electric Terrain has been set, this thing is only outsped by Baraskewda under Rain. Alolan Raichu is also the best chance Electric has to beat a type like Poison, which relies on AV Slowking-Galar+Amoonguss to stop Electric teams, thanks to its access to Psychic STAB and Knock Off. The combination of Rising Voltage+Focus Blast represents a threat for Steel teams, which do not have an easy time trying to overcome this thing and Raikou.

The next Pokemon i decided to add to the team was Rotom-Wash, which acts as the glue of the team. It is not the member which is going to shine the most, but it covers a very important role for Electric teams. First of all, it has a Ground immunity thanks to Levitate, something that every Electric team should have. Second, it has the bulk to take some hits and pivot with Volt Switch, allowing the entrance of another member which can deal with the opposing Pokemon, or using Will-o-Wisp to wear down threats and cripple its Attack. If all this was not enought, Rotom-Wash learns Defog, allowing the team to avoid annoying hazards like Toxic Spikes or Stealth Rock. This is why Rotom-Wash is so good for this team, it compresses several roles in just one slot.

The next member to be added was one of the most important Pokemon for Electric teams during past generations: Zapdos. Zapdos provides a 'real' Electric immunity (Rotom-Wash has the problem of Mold Breaker) and several key coverage moves like Heat Wave and Hurricane. Zapdos had a defensive role on past generations, but this generation they gave it Hurricane, which made me opt for a Choice Specs set. This set helps a lot in matchups like Grass (always difficult for Electric teams), Steel or Water, while contributing to the momentum of the team thanks to Volt Switch. Zapdos continues to be a good defensive Pokemon for Electric teams, specially with the introduction of Heavy Duty Boots, but i wanted to give the team a more offensive approach.

The last slot for the team had a clear candidate: Zeraora. This is another Pokemon that all Electric teams should have because they do not have any other options to hit from the physical side. This does not mean Zeraora is only used because there are not other options; Zeraora is very good by itself, with an amazing Speed tier and a very hard hitting move like Plasma Fists (there are not many Pokemon which would want to take a Plasma Fists from this thing under terrain). Bulk Up sets are a thing, but i think Choice Band fits way better in this team. Zeraora has also access to interesting moves like Close Combat and Knock Off.

the team raikou.jpg

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 104 HP / 96 Def / 40 SpA / 52 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Mind
Substitute
Thunderbolt
Scald

The 'star' of the team. Raikou set is the classic Calm Mind+Substitute, a nightmare for teams that are not prepared for it. It is true that Raikou does not exploit Pressure as well as its brother Suicune, since it has less HP and does not run Protect, but it is a nice ability for a Calm Mind sweeper. Appart from Calm Mind and Substitute, the two assets of this set, Raikou is running its best STAB move in Thunderbolt and Scald. The combination of Thunderbolt plus Scald is a massive threat for Flying, Electric and Steel. The former has Landorus-T, Dragonite and Thundurus-T as its main ways to deal with Electric teams. Landorus-T does not appreciate Scald from Raikou (supper effective damage plus the chance to burn), Dragonite does not want to switch in a Scald and Thundurus-T can barely touch Raikou. Regarding opposing Electric teams, once the opposing Zeraora has been worn down, you just need to wait the right moment to get Raikou in and start the combo Substitute+Calm Mind. Steel usually runs Excadrill as its main way to deal with Electric, while also having Assault Vest Melmetal ato add more help. None of those Pokemon appreciate Scald; if you get the burn the game is almost over. Ferrothorn is something that has the potential to wall Raikou, but once it has been burned (which should not be difficult since it is the preferred switch in against Rotom-Wash) it cannot break Raikou's sub. Poison is another matchup where Raikou can shine, having the opportunity to use Substitute in front of Toxapex or Amoonguss (they cannot break it in one hit) and using Pressure to your own advantage to stall Slowking-Galar's Earthquake. Scald is very important in this matchup for Nidoking. Psychic is another type against which Raikou can shine, but Choice Scarf Tapu Lele and Calm Mind Hatterene are not easy to remove and can beat Raikou. Another big asset for Raikou is its great Speed tier, which allows to save some EVs for its general bulk. The Speed EVs of this set are meant to outsped base 110 like Latios/Latias, while the Special Attack allows it to 2HKO Choice Scarf Landorus-T. Regarding the bulk, HP and Defense EVs are aimed to prevent Bullet Punch from Scizor and Knock Off from Tornadus-T breaking Raikou's Substitute. The rest has been allocated in Special Defense.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Dazzling Gleam
Grass Knot

Tapu Koko is the anchor of the team. This set combines its excellent Speed tier, which allows it to outspeed Cinderace and Weavile, with the wallbreaking power provided by Choice Specs. Thunderbolt is the Electric STAB of choice, which can hit really hard under Electric Terrain (as stated above, the main reason for running Tapu Koko on Electric teams). Volt Switch is the secondary STAB move of choice but i would say it is even more important for this set than Thunderbolt, as it provides momentum and allows Tapu Koko to run away from Pokemon that can stop it, such as Slowking-Galar or Ferrothorn, and give free switchins for teammates that can deal with those (Zeraora or Zapdos). Electric Surge and Volt Switch is very appreciated by Raichu-Alola, which needs Electric Terrain to cover its role in the team. Dazzling Gleam breaks through Dragon- and Dark-types such as Latias/Latios, Hydreigon, Garchomp or Zarude, making Tapu Koko key to succeed against those types. Grass Knot is the last move chosen for obvious reasons. Along with Electric STAB it makes Tapu Koko a massive threat for Water teams, dealing super effective damage against all of its Pokemon, as Grass Knot allows Tapu Koko to hit Swampert or Gastrodon. This move also deals with Hippowdon, a wall that can otherwise defeat this team on its own. Raikou and Zapdos would be your secondary way to deal with Hippowdon, but the former cannot touch Gastrodon and the latter has to hit Hurricane under the sand. I considered running a set with Expert Belt and Toxic/Taunt instead of Thunderbolt, but without Regieleki i felt like i needed extra breaking power appart from Zapdos.

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
Rising Voltage
Psychic
Focus Blast
Knock Off

Raichu-Alola is the revenge killer of this team, blending its good Speed tier with its ability Surge Surfer, which makes it shine thanks to Tapu Koko. Rising Voltage doubles its power under Electric Terrain, reaching 140, and combined with Life Orb it can break almost any Pokemon that does not resist Electric moves. Psychic is the Psychic STAB move of choice over Psyshock since it deals greater damage at the cost of being unable to touch Blissey and not OHKOing Nihilego. Rising Voltage+Psychic forms one of the biggest threats for Flying teams, which have to rely on Landorus-T as a bulky pivot to stop Raichu-Alola. However, Landorus-T can be knocked off and be left with no form of recovery, which would put him into a difficult position against Raikou and Tapu Koko. Raichu-Alola is used as a way to wear down Landorus-T against Flying and revenge kill Dragon Dance Dragonite, which are two of the biggest threats for Electric teams. Psychic is also important for a difficult matchup like Poison, allowing Raichu to OHKO Nidoking and deal severe damage to the rest of the team, except from Slowking-Galar. Knock Off is the tool needed to get rid of Slowking-Galar, which does not have a good Defense stat and relies on Assault Vest to check special attacks from Electric teams. If somehow Raikou does not manage to beat Poison, you will always have Raichu-Alola to deal with it. Running Knock Off prevents you from running Grass Knot, which would make Raichu-Alola a massive threat versus Ground and even bigger against Water, but since i was not running Regieleki i need somehing more appart from Raikou against Slowking-Galar. Focus Blast is another important move for the set, allowing Raichu to deal super effective damage to foes like Tyranitar, Excadrill or Zarude. Raichu-Alola is also key to deal with Volcarona, which outspeeds and deals with the rest of the team at +1. Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature lets Alolan Raichu outspeed foes like Volcarona or Hydreigon outside of Electric Terrain

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 116 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Rotom-W is the glue and part of the backbone of the team, providing a Ground immunity thanks to its ability: Levitate. It acts as a defensive pivot (base 107 in both Defense and Special Defense, but base 50 HP) that can check and cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp like Landorus-T, Excadrill (watch out for Moldbreaker), Mamoswine or Dragonite. Will-o-Wisp can also play and important role in the Steel matchup, as burning Ferrothorn will make Raikou's job much easier. Hydro Pump is a powerful STAB Water-type move that hits super effectively a good portion of the Pokemon mentioned above (Rock- and Ground-types) as well as Fire-types like Alolan Marowak, which is not very commong but is a very annoying Pokemon to deal with for Electric teams due to Lightning Rod making it immune to Electric moves and its Thick Club. Volt Switch is the STAB Electric-type move chosen with the aim of providing momentum for the team while dealing some chip damage, as well as not being completely walled by Volcanion. In the last slot, i had to run Defog to get rid of hazards such as Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes, which are very annoying for the team. Zapdos was the other member that could run Defog but Choice Specs was preferred. Regarding the EV spread, 44 Speed allows Rotom-Wash to outspeed Jolly Azumarill, avoiding a Belly Drum sweep, and -1 Victini. The rest is split between HP, Defense and Special Defense, to make Rotom-Wash a bulky pivot on both sides.

Zapdos @ Choice Specs
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
Hurricane
Volt Switch
Heat Wave
Thunderbolt /
Ancient Power

Zapdos acts as the second special wallbreaker of the team. Its good Speed tier along with its base 125 Special Attack and Choice Specs, make it a deadly threats against some of the types of the metagame, which do not have a switch in against this monster. Heavy Duty Boots pivot is a legit set, but i wanted to give the team a more offensive approach and have a better chance versus Grass, which has always being annoying for Electric throughout different generations. Choice Specs Hurricane represents an incredible asset versus Ground, Water and Dragon teams (Bug is another matchup where Zapdos has no switchins, but Electric should not have a difficult time versus it even without Zapdos). This means losing Tapu Koko versus Water would not be the end of the world, as Zapdos is another way to destroy Swampert or Gastrodon. Volt Switch provides another form of momentum for the team, specially versus types that does not run an Electric immunity such us Psychic or Ghost. Thunderbolt is the other Electric STAB move of choice as it deals more power and allows Zapdos to avoid always clicking Hurricane, since it is a double-edged sword due to the lower accuracy. Nevertheless, Ancient Power can also be run to deal with Pokemon like Volcarona or Thundurus-T. Heat Wave is what makes Zapdos a threat for Steel teams, as Electric moves can deal huge damage to its Fire immunity (Heatran) and the rest of the team does not want to take a Choice Specs Heat Wave.

Zeraora @ Choice Band
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Plasma Fists
Close Combat
Outrage
Knock Off

Zeraora must be run due to its amazing Speed tier and its good Attack, which make it the best if not the only way Electric teams have to perform the Physical wallbraker role. All the moves of this set are very important, but Close Combat might be the most important, as it provides Electric teams with a way to OHKO Blissey, a Pokemon that would be otherwise untouchable by this team. Close Combat also helps versus foes such as Ferrothorn and Tyranitar, two of the most annoying Pokemon for Electric teams. Plasma Fists is the Electric-type move chosen, which combined with Choice Band and Electric Terrain, make Zeraora a very hard hitting Pokemon against a large portion of the metagame. This move threatens Flying teams, which would usually go Landorus-T or Thundurus-T on Zeraora, allowing you to predict and Knock Off their item, something that is specially important in the case of Landorus-T (getting rid of Leftovers leaves it with no recovery, while having no Choice Scarf lets most of the team to outspeed it). Knock Off is also key in the Ghost matchup, which does not have a switch in. Having a Pokemon that can outspeed and OHKO Dragapult might be one of the most valuable tools for Electric teams, as the Ghost lizard represents a huge threat for this team. Outrage was the last move of choice, very helpful in the Dragon matchup, hitting hard every opposing foe. This is the move i have clicked the less during my testing with this team, but that is probably because i did not face many Dragon teams, which are really threatened by Choice Specs Tapu Koko.

conclusion raikou.jpg

Electric has always being one of my favourite types, and having the chance to build a team around Raikou (one of my favourite Pokemon of all times) has been amazing. I've had a lot of fun playing with this team which is probably my favourite team to play this generation. Earlier this generation i did not even play Monotype because i felt there was much less room for building than previous generations (i still do), but there are always niche Pokemon to built with, which is the main reason i play this game. Raikou might be outclassed by other Pokemon like Magnezone or Regieleki, but it can still provide considerable value for Electric teams. Although ladder does not prove a player to be good, i believe it does show if a team can work or not. Peaking past 1700s is something remarkable for an average player like me, and in my opinion it proves this team can work. Thanks for reading!
peak6.PNG

threatlist raikou.jpg

Volcarona can sweep the whole teams thanks to Quiver Dance and access to unresisted moves such as Fire Blast and Psychic, so you should always keep offensive pressure on Bug teams to avoid Volcarona having the chance to boost. Scolipede is not a common member of Bug teams but some might use it to improve its Fairy matchup, as well as the Electric one. Speed Boost, Sword Dance and Poison Jab, form a deadly threat for the team.

Not that Krookodile is a common foe to be found on Dark teams, but it is a threat for the team thanks to its STAB moves, Earthquake and Knock Off, which no member of the team appreciates.

Dragon has three of the biggest threats for the team. Dragapult can use Dragon Dance to dismantle Electric teams, while Substitute allows it to avoid status from Rotom-Wash, Freeze-Dry from Kyurem has no switchins and Dragon Dance Dragonite is even a bigger threat than Dragapult thanks to Multiscale, its Electric neutrality and Extreme Speed.

Choice Scarf and Choice Specs Tapu Lele is very annoying for the team, specially the former, as it can remove Electric Terrain and hit really hard thanks to Psychic Terrain. Tapu Bulu becomes a threat the moment you do not run defensive Zapdos, which is the case, being able to remove Electric Terrain and deal huge damage with Grass-type STAB.

Volcarona is a threat for the reasons detailed in the Bug section. Marowak-Alola has Electric immunity in Lighting Rod and can hit really hard with Thick Club. Zapdos and Raikou help a lot with this foe, but the former needs to hit Hurricane.

Dragon Dance or Choice Band Dragonite has lots of chances to beat the team. Extreme Speed+Multiscale is just too much. Landorus-T heavily threatens the team with its Electric immunity and its bulk (Choice Scarf is not that common nowadays but it can be very annoying too). Zapdos and Raikou are key to beating this guy, so be sure to keep them alive.

Dragon Dance+Substitute Dragapult sweeps the team is it find the chance to get +1. Mimikyu has always been a threat to offensive teams because of its Disguise, which allows it to safely set up a Sword Dance, and access to priority (Shadow Sneak).

Rillaboom's priority under terrain can be too much for a team with no defensive Zapdos if not handed properly. It removes your Electric Terrain and most of the times gets a kill. You need to pressure Grass from the beginnig with Zapdos or this thing will eat your team.

Landorus-T represents the same threat as in Flying teams, while also running Gravity in Ground teams, meaning you are screwed. Sand Rush Excadrill outspeeds all the team under sand (except Raichu-Alola under Electric Terrain) and hits really hard with Choice Band; it just need to wear down Rotom-Wash until it is able to sweep the team. You should preserve Raichu-Alola and pressure with Zapdos from the beginning. Nidoking has no switchins, you need Raichu-Alola or Zapdos to stop this foe. Gastrodon is one of the most annoying Pokemon to deal with due to its bulk and Electric/Water immunity. Zapdos and Tapu Koko are your tools versus this thing.

Kyurem has no switchins, as stated in the Dragon section. Darmanitan hits really hard because of Gorilla Tactics and outspeeds every member of the team despite Raichu-Alola under terrain. Slush Rush Arctozolt has access to unresisted STAB (Bolt Beak/Freeze-Dry) and becomes faster than every member of the team under Hail.

Assault Vest Slowking Galar can take every hit from the special side, which is basically the strongest point of Electric teams. Knock Off from Raichu-Alola and Raikou are your ways to deal with it. Nihilego's good Speed tier and Special Attack stat, combined with Power Herb+Meteor Beam or Choice Scarf, makes it one of the main offensive threats of this team. Nidoking's special wallbreaking capabilities are a problem, as stated above.

Slowking-Galar and Tapu Lele have been explained above. Calm Mind Hatterene can deal with Raikou thanks to Psyshock, and Trick Room is always an annoying move versus offensive teams like this. You would need to pressure this thing if you do not want to get swept.

Nihilego is a threat in the same way as it is in Poison teams. Rhyperior has great bulk, Electric immunity and access to unresisted STAB (Earthquake/Stone Edge). Rotom-Wash, Raikou and Tapu Koko are the checks for this thing.

Choice Scarf Excadrill can dismatle the whole team thanks to Mold Breaker, which leaves Zapdos as your only Ground immunity, but Zapdos can get heavily damaged by Rock Slide.

Rain is one of the biggest threats for Electric teams, and this team is not the exception. Barraskewda outspeeds all the team under Rain, even Raichu-Alola under Electric Terrain, and has base 123 Attack, while Choice Scarf Urshifu-Rapid-Strikes can also deal huge damage under rain. It is not easy to keep Rotom-Wash healthy if the opposing is running this two, but it is the only member which avoids the team being 6-0d by Barraskewda. Kingdra is not that common but it is one of the biggest threats for Electric teams thanks to Swift Swim.

replays raikou.jpg

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1691971159
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1694848988
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1697200828

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1698734488

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1685912034
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1696554397

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1697288942
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1698795641

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1695720210

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1697275705
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1698000560
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1698008630

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1695525114

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1691980577
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1695715577
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1697996784

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1691259449

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1708113410

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1698072843

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1697240750
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1700058876

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1695710631
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1699489417

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1698094539
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1698107430
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1698456720

importable raikou.jpg

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 104 HP / 96 Def / 40 SpA / 52 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Scald

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Rising Voltage
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 116 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Zapdos @ Choice Specs
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Thunderbolt

Zeraora @ Choice Band
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Outrage
- Knock Off

shoutouts raikou.jpg

Moosical for helping me with banner and text in past RMTs. Finally i've learned to do it myself :3

Neko for always answering my questions about the meta and helping me in building teams.

roxie his post in the VR about Raikou is what inspired me to build around it.

style.css has always helped me with some doubts about the meta

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)