Pokémon Magnezone

da zone.gif

sprite from Pokemon Prism
ElectricIC_BW.png
SteelIC_BW.png

Base Stats: 70 / 70 / 115 / 130 / 90 / 60 (535)
Abilities: Magnet Pull / Sturdy / Analytic
Notable Moves (italics indicate STAB):
- Body Press
- Explosion
- Flash Cannon
- Iron Defense
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Steel Beam
- Thunder
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
Level Up Moves
1 - Tri-Attack
1 - Electric Terrain
1 - Magnetic Flux
1 - Mirror Coat
1 - Thunder Shock
1 - Tackle
1 - Supersonic
1 - Thunder Wave
12 - Electro Ball
16 - Gyro Ball
20 - Spark
24 - Screech
28 - Magnet Rise
34 - Flash Cannon
40 - Discharge
46 - Metal Sound
52 - Light Screen
58 - Lock-On
64 - Zap Cannon
TM Moves
Take Down
Protect
Confuse Ray
Charge Beam
Facade
Swift
Endure
Volt Switch
Sunny Day
Rain Dance
Sandstorm
Body Slam
Sleep Talk
Electro Ball
Reflect
Light Screen
Thunder Wave
Rest
Body Press
Flash Cannon
Eerie Impulse
Iron Head
Substitute
Iron Defense
Heavy Slam
Thunderbolt

Helping Hand
Electric Terrain
Wild Charge
Giga Impact
Hyper Beam
Thunder
Steel Beam

Tera Blast
Egg Moves
Electroweb
Explosion

The generational shift was not kind to Magnezone. The loss of transfer moves, most notably Toxic and Teleport, puts a big damper on The Zone's defensive sets and further strains its already-shallow movepool. Two of its most notable targets, Skarmory and Ferrothorn, got removed from the game, while remaining targets Corviknight and Scizor can simply pivot out of its trap with U-Turn. It did gain a new target in the form of Kingambit, but that's about it. Terastalization is kind of a mixed bag for Magnezone; on one hand, the Steel-types it normally traps can simply switch out by Terastalizing into a different type. On the other hand, forcing Steels to lose their valuable defensive typing and use up their Terastalization can put a damper on them, and Magnezone can utilize Tera itself to surprise would-be checks or take hits that would otherwise KO it. As the metagame settles, Magnezone's role will likely become more defined and useful.

Potential Sets:
Body Press
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type: Fighting / Electric / Grass / Water
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch / Tera Blast

A slightly modified version of the Iron Defense set from SS OU, it utilizes Magnezone's meaty Defense stat to trap Steel-types, wall them with Iron Defense, and take them out with Body Press. Iron Defense also lets it survive powerful hits from the likes of Kingambit and Chien-Pao. Thunderbolt is a strong STAB option that allows Magnezone to take out Corviknight as well as Water-types like Quaquaval and Toxapex. Because Teleport is no longer available on Magnezone, Volt Switch is instead used to pivot out of unfavorable matchups. If Magnezone chooses to Terastalize into a Grass- or Water-type, then Tera Blast should be used instead.

Fighting is the preferred Tera Type to boost the power of Magnezone's Body Presses and to ensure it can survive super-effective coverage from Pokemon like Kingambit and Scizor. Electric can be used instead to bolster its already-powerful Thunderbolt, though it still leaves Magnezone vulnerable to Earthquake. Grass is another option to surprise Ground-types who think they can waltz in and kill Magnezone with their STABs before getting nuked by Tera Blast. It also has the welcome effect of giving Magnezone a coveted resistance to Water attacks, letting it survive Tera-boosted STABs from the likes of Quaquaval and Barraskewda (even in the rain) before hitting back with a strong Thunderbolt. Water can also be used to surprise Fire-types and hit non-Water Absorb Clodsires while also remaining resistant to other Water attacks.

Choice Specs
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull / Analytic
Tera Type: Grass / Water / Electric
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Tera Blast / Body Press

This set relies on Magnezone's massive Special Attack stat, which is further bolstered by Choice Specs, to punch holes into opposing teams. Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are the usual STAB moves, while Volt Switch is an essential tool that lets Magnezone pivot out while also dealing decent damage to anything that isn't a Ground-type. The last slot depends on what type you want Magnezone to Terastalize into. Grass and Water both help it lull in Ground-types before hitting them with a powerful STAB, though each type hits different targets. Grass gives Magnezone a resistance to Ground moves and allows it to OHKO Gastrodon and Quagsire, while Water lets it sponge Fire attacks and hit Grass-neutral targets such as Iron Treads and Unaware Clodsire. Magnezone can forgo these options in favor of an Electric Terastalization to make its already-painful Thunderbolts hurt even more. If Electric is the Tera type of choice, Body Press is recommended in the last slot to hit Steel-types such as Kingambit harder. Magnezone can attempt to maintain its Steel-trapping niche with Magnet Pull, or forgo that in favor of Analytic to hit faster targets and switch-ins much harder.

Last edited:
I don’t think this is necessarily a significant weakness. Considering Zone’s main role on a team is to remove Steel types, forcing them to drop the Steel typing basically accomplishes the same thing.
Gotcha, updated the OP with better info.

TyCarter

Tough Scene
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Another set I like running with Magnezone is all-out attacker with Assault Vest which makes it ok at absorbing some special attacking hits and ko-ing back. It also eases up prediction I find. Timid or Modest both work but timid is nicer if you just want to beat more offensive Scizors. and Tera Ground can stop EQ attempts too in a pinch.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type: Ground / Fire
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature

-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Flash Cannon
-Tera Blast

It did gain a few new targets in the form of Kingambit and Gholdengo
Also, Gholdengo can escape magnet pull due to the partial ghost typing.

Edit: I checked and it was cuz of the ghost typing.

Last edited:
Also Good as Gold apparently also blocks magnet pull as well. So Magnezone can not actually trap Gholdengo. I am not sure if this is bugged or if this works as intended but this is worth noting.
Are we sure that's not because it is a ghost type?

I kinda wish you had tested the Trace Gardevoir with tera Steel after it copied the Good as Gold ability. You had Magnezone on the other team for this.

TyCarter

Tough Scene
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Are we sure that's not because it is a ghost type?

I kinda wish you had tested the Trace Gardevoir with tera Steel after it copied the Good as Gold ability. You had Magnezone on the other team for this.
I double-checked afterwards and forgot that ghost types ignored all trapping abilities from gen 6 onward.

Magnezone really took a hit this generation. It defensive typing isn't what it used to be and the majority of pokemon can hit it super effectively. It can still trap Corviknight and King Gambit along with Scizor pretty well but that's about it. I have found it work great with Chien Pao and Iron Vaillant as they really appreciate Scizor being gone

I unironically made an account to share my Magnezone set that has been doing me some justice in OU

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Tera Blast

I basically use him as a hard Annihilape/Great Tusk counter, along with being generally useful against things like Corviknight, Garganacl, and Dondozo. The flying tera let's you escape damage from drain punches and earthquakes. It also let's you OHKO Tusk and Annihilape with Tera Blast, Specs, and Analytic combo. Other games it is really easy sacrifice for a safe switch.

I had a feeling that magnezone would eventually fall from grace.
I tried experimenting with the analytic ability but magnezone isn't bulky enough for this to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)