Lunatone (Full Revamp)+

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Hidden Power Rock
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Psychic / Signal Beam / Ice Beam
item: Leftovers
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 120 SpA / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Lunatone received a couple of good moves in the fourth generation which helps its type coverage and makes it a more viable option in UU, or even in OU for the brave. Lunatone's biggest addition is definitely Earth Power since it can now hit Steelix and Aggron a lot harder than it could before in ADV. Drapion, a major threat to frail Psychic Special Sweepers, fears the possibility of receiving a super-effective Earth Power, so it is hardpressed to switch in. Signal Beam is basically the coverage of Grass knot and Shadow Ball put together.</p>

<p>STAB Psychic isn't a horrible option on this set as the combination of Signal Beam, Psychic, and Earth Power give nearly perfect coverage. You can still use it in tandem with Hidden Power Rock and Earth Power; however, you'll notice Claydol can easily switch into either attack if you haven't used Calm Mind several times. Ice Beam is a good option since it crushes the usual Ground and Grass-types that are commonly present in the Underused environment. Hypnosis, despite having shaky accuracy, is a decent option on this set; although it disallows a move that could otherwise add almost perfect coverage.</p>

[SET]
name: SubSalac + Calm Mind
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Hidden Power Rock / Ice Beam
move 4: Earth Power
item: Salac Berry
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 30 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The idea here is simple, try to get in on a Pokemon that you can force a switch on, either Calm Mind or Substitute down to activate the Salac Berry, and then sweep. The combination of Ice Beam and Earth Power have nearly perfect coverage, hitting everything, excluding Shedinja, for at least neutral damage. The EVs suggested allow Lunatone to activate the Salac Berry after three Substitutes and allow for a max speed of 358 after the Salac boost, outpacing max Speed Purugly.</p>

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Calm Mind / Rock Polish
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Hypnosis / Substitute
move 4: AncientPower / Earth Power
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>A simple Baton Pass set. Calm Mind is the best option, and can help out special sweepers or allow physical Pokémon the chance to set up more easily thanks to the Special Defense boosts. Rock Polish is easier to pass though, since you can usually get off a pass with boosted Speed before getting hit with a potentially fatal attack. Hypnosis can help to set up more easily, but Substitute is worth a mention with Hypnosis shaky 60% accuracy as well as being able to be Baton Passed. AncientPower, while not the strongest attack, gains STAB and gives you the possibility to Baton Pass a boost in every stat barring HP. Earth Power is useful for super-effective damage against Aggron and Steelix, who are common pseudo-hazers in UU.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Psychic
move 4: Signal Beam / Explosion
item: Choice Specs
evs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With Lunatone's impressive move pool it can make fantastic use of Choice Specs. You can cover everything with this set. Psychic is its strongest Special Attack option and destroys Poison-types. Hidden Power Rock hurts Mantine and other Flying-types quite badly. Earth Power bashes Steel-Types and Drapion and while (not needed) OHKOs Aggron. Signal Beam destroys Dark-types and hits Grumpig and Hypno for a least a 3HKO, but if all else fails, you can simply explode on them.</p>

[Other Option]
<p>Grass Knot is a good option for hitting bulky Water and Ground-types. Shadow Ball hits Ghosts and is a stronger option to hit Grumpig and Hypno with but still has the chance of only a 3HKO. Charge Beam is an alternate means of boosting Special Attack over Calm Mind and puts a dent in Mantine, but it is still an inferior option. Lunatone is a decent Trick Room user if you're basing your team around slow, powerful attackers. Cosmic Power is also available for Baton Passing, but is generally inferior to Calm Mind.</p>

[EVs]
<p>For most sets, lots of HP and Special Attack is beneficial. 68 Speed EVs outruns minimum Speed Blastoise, which is the most you'll usually need. 136 EVs is enough to beat out Adamant Crawdaunt's as well as Modest Omastar and Gorebyss. The Substitute Calm Mind set needs a minimum of 248 Speed EVs to outrun Jolly Purugly by 2 points and anything slower after a Salac Berry boost. If you're using Lunatone in OU, then 184 EVs will allow you outrun Adamant Tyranitar. You can drop some Special Attack EVs and put them in Defense for the Support or Baton Pass sets.</p>

[Opinion]
<p> Lunatone received some new toys from the fourth generation with which to bash its counter, making switching into Lunatone a little harder, let alone defeating it. Although Lunatone's defenses may be somewhat lacking, it makes up for this with good typing and Levitate. Other than Hypnosis staying at a paltry 60%, Lunatone definitely improved. His Rock-typing also gives him the benefit from Sandstorm in OU and can be used as an annoyance against Heatran in particular.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Hypno and Grumpig are still Lunatone's biggest counters thanks to their resistance to Psychic and high Special Defense. Hypno also has the added advantage of being immune to Hypnosis, thanks to Insomnia. Insomnia Banette also fares well and can batter Lunatone with Shadow Claw, but has to watch out for Shadow Ball. Dark-types, especially those with Pursuit, can be a problem. Drapion and Skuntank are both good choices if Lunatone lacks Earth Power. Sharpedo and Crawdaunt are both immune to Psychic and resistant to Ice Beam, but have to be aware of Signal Beam and Grass Knot. Steel-types will wall any set that lacks Earth Power.</p>

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A Heatran / Azelf counter set in the sand is a pretty good idea for OU. Might be worth a mention.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps. I'll look into something similair to this.

I got the PM from Al and I'm going to get to work on this hopefully by the weekend. It should be done by Monday or Tuesday I hope.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Alright, I've edited in the changes I've wanted and also want to thank Al for helping me with this. I need help though but otherwise green flagging this.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Ice Beam could be slashed over Hidden Power Rock on the Salac set, considering how common Claydol is. Ice Beam also hits Venusaur harder.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Well at least it has perfect coverage this way in UU. As for argument's sake I'll put it in and note that it has its uses without the resort of a STAB option.

Persian has base 115 speed, ie, 361 max speed. After a Salac Boost, Lunatone is still slower. You do, however, outrun Froslass and Lopunny.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Fixed. Must've looked at Adamant Persian. Speaking of that Timid might be an option here to get the extra Speed perhaps. I'll look to testing it.

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set takes advatange of the new tutor moves and Hypnosis' now shaky accuracy. The idea is simple, try to get in on a pokemon that would switch from you, Calm Mind or Substitute down to activate the Salac Berry, and sweep. Ice Beam works well alongisde Earth Power; giving perfect coverage alongside each other with the exception of Rotom. The EVs suggested allow Lunatone to activate the Salac Berry after three Substitutes and having a max speed of 358 after the boost, outpacing max Speed Purugly at the most.</p>

[EVs]
<p>For most sets, lots of HP and Special Attack is beneficial. 68 Speed EVs outruns minimum Speed Blastoise, which is the most you'll usually need. 136 EVs is enough to beat Adamant Crawdaunt's maximum, and outruns Modest Omastar and Gorebyss. The Substitute Calm Mind set needs 248 Speed EVs to outrun Jolly Purugly by 2 points, 232 EVs to outrun Timid Froslass by 1 point, 204 EVs to beat Jolly Rapidash by 1 point, or 176 EVs to beat Timid Ninetails by 2 points and lower. If you're using Lunatone in OU, then 184 EVs will allow you outrun Adamant Tyranitar. You can drop some Special Attack EVs and put them in Defense for the Support or Baton Pass sets.</p>
I made the changes in blue and sorry about the mix up with the HP EVs, however on my Lunatone it says 284 HP with 12 HP EVs and 31 IV, I guess it could be a Shoddy glitch or something. Also, the line "at the most." kind of sounds odd to me, "at best." sounds a little better to me IMO. Thanks again for letting me help you with this.

Metric

is banned in America
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Changes in bold.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Lunatone received a couple of good moves in Platinum which helps its type coverage and makes it a more viable option in UU or even OU. Lunatone's biggest addition is definitely Earth Power since it can now hit Steelix, Drapion and Aggron a lot harder than it could before in Diamond and Pearl. Drapion was its biggest threat since it usually used Lunatone as setup-fodder and now fears the possibility of Earth Power if Drapion is foolish enough to switch-in. Signal Beam is basically the coverage of Grass knot and Shadow Ball put together.</p>

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set takes advatange of the new tutor moves and Hypnosis' now shaky accuracy. The idea is simple, try to get in on a pokemon that would switch from you, Calm Mind or Substitute down to activate the Salac Berry, then sweep. Ice Beam works well alongisde Earth Power; giving perfect coverage alongside each other with the exception of Rotom. The EVs suggested allow Lunatone to activate the Salac Berry after three Substitutes and having a max speed of 358 after the boost, outpacing max Speed Purugly at best.</p>

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Calm Mind is the best option, and can help out special sweepers or allow physical Pokémon the chance to set up more easily thanks to the Special Defense boosts. Rock Polish is the easiest to pass though, since you can usually get off a pass with boosted Speed before getting hit with a potentially fatal attack. Hypnosis can help to set up freely, but Substitute is worth a mention with Hypnosis' now reduced accuracy as well as being able to be Baton Passed. Ancientpower, while it is not the strongest attack, gains STAB and gives you the possibility to Baton Pass a boost in almost every stat. Earth Power is useful for super-effective damage against Aggron and Steelix who are common Roar users in UU.</p>
Avoiding repitition of 'shaky'

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With the new tutor moves received from Platinum, Lunatone got a boost to its already large movepool, and <removed 'while'> backed up with decent Special Attack, it can be a solid Choice Specs user. You can cover everything with this set. Psychic is its strongest Special Attack option and destroys Poison types. Hidden Power Rock hurts Mantine and other Flying types quite badly. Earth Power bashes Steel Types and Drapion and while OHKO's Aggron. Signal Beam destroys Dark types and hits Grumpig and Hypno for least a 3HKO, or you can simply explode on them.</p>
Viva la Lunatone!

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
[EVs]
<p>For most sets, lots of HP and Special Attack is beneficial. 68 Speed EVs outruns minimum Speed Blastoise, which is the most you'll usually need. 136 EVs is enough to beat Adamant Crawdaunt's maximum, and outruns Modest Omastar and Gorebyss. The SubSalc + Calm Mind set (after a boost) needs 248 Speed EVs to outrun Jolly Purugly by 2 points 232 EVs to beat Timid Froslass by 1 point, 204 EVs to beat Jolly Rapidash by 1 point, or 176 EVs to beat Timid Ninetails by 2 points and lower.....
We probably should mention that those are for post Salac Berry boost Speed calculations :/ ... it still sounds funny to me after the changes though... Also, I found a couple of shoddy glitches that need to be taken care of, do you know who I could take this to? Its part of the reason why the Lunatone calculations gave four Substitutes instead of three...

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 4: Psychic / Signal Beam / Ice Beam
evs: 252 HP / 120 SpA / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Lunatone received a couple of good moves in the fourth generation which helps its type coverage and makes it a more viable option in UU or even OU. Lunatone's biggest addition is definitely Earth Power since it can now hit Steelix and Aggron a lot harder than it could before in ADV. Drapion was its biggest threat since it usually used Lunatone as setup-fodder and now fears the possibility of Earth Power if Drapion is foolish enough to switch-in (Though it doesn't directly stated, Drapion wasn't available in the Third Generation. The rules say to avoid talking about the transition from DP to DPPt, and the way it is phrased, you're implying there was a time when Drapion wasn't a threat. I'd suggest just editing the sentence to something along these lines: "Drapion, a major threat to frail Psychic Special Sweepers, fears the possibility of receiving a super-effective Earth Power, so it is hardpressed to switch in." You could edit it as you see fit, but cut down the transitional references to DP and DPPt.). Signal Beam is basically the coverage of Grass knot and Shadow Ball put together.</p>

<p>STAB Psychic isn't a horrible option on this set as the combination of Signal Beam, Psychic, and Earth Power give nearly perfect coverage. You can still use it in tandem with Hidden Power Rock and Earth Power; however, you'll notice Claydol can easily switch into either attack without back-up from Calm Mind boosts. Ice Beam is a good option since it crushes the usual Ground- and Grass-types that are commonly present in the underused environment. Hypnosis, despite having shaky accuracy, is a decent option for this set although it disallows a move that could otherwise add almost perfect coverage.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set takes advantage of the new tutor moves and Hypnosis' now shaky accuracy.(This is another reference to the difference between DP and DPPt, so I'd suggest saying "This set takes advantage of good coverage or This set takes advantage of new fourth generation tutor moves" and dropping the reference to Hypnosis all together, since it isn't even mentioned in the set at all.) The idea is simple, try to get in on a Pokemon that would switch from you, either Calm Mind or Substitute down to activate the Salac Berry, and then sweep. Ice Beam works well alongside Earth Power; giving perfect coverage alongside each other with the exception of Shedinja (Though it'll probably be understood, this clause doesn't flow well. Try "together they have perfect coverage, hitting everything, barring Shedinja, neutrally"). The EVs suggested allow Lunatone to activate the Salac Berry after three Substitutes and to have (This was a parallelism mistake. Two verbs in seperate clauses that are joined in a compound sentence have to be in the same tense.) a max speed of 358 after the boost, outpacing max Speed Purugly at best.</p>

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Calm Mind / Rock Polish
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Hypnosis / Substitute
move 4: AncientPower / Earth Power
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Calm Mind is the best option, and can help out special sweepers or allow physical Pokémon the chance to set up more easily thanks to the Special Defense boosts. Rock Polish is the easiest (You're only comparing two stat-boosters, so change it to "Rock Polish is easier") to pass though, since you can usually get off a pass with boosted Speed before getting hit with a potentially fatal attack. Hypnosis can help to set up freely, but Substitute is worth a mention with Hypnosis' now reduced accuracy as well as being able to be Baton Passed (I believe all references about the transition from DP to DPPt were supposed to be eliminated. Hypnosis had 55% or 60%? ((I believe)) accuracy in the third generation, so even though the change to Platinum decreased it from 70% to 60%, you should probably phrase it like this: ",but Substitute is worth a mention since it can be Baton Passed and Hypnosis has shaky accuracy."). AncientPower, while it is (these two words aren't needed) not the strongest attack, gains STAB and gives you the possibility to Baton Pass a boost in almost (doesn't Ancient Power give a boost in all boostable stats? If so, I'm not sure "almost" is needed, though since HP isn't boosted it does work. It's a minor nitpicky issue.) every stat. Earth Power is useful for super-effective damage against Aggron and Steelix, who are common Roar users in UU.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Psychic
move 4: Signal Beam / Explosion
evs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With the new tutor moves received from the fourth generation, Lunatone got a boost in its already large movepool, and backed up with decent Special Attack, it can be a solid Choice Specs user. You can cover everything with this set. Psychic is its strongest Special Attack option and destroys Poison-types. Hidden Power Rock hurts Mantine and other Flying- types quite badly. Earth Power bashes Steel-Types and Drapion and while (not needed) OHKOs Aggron. Signal Beam destroys Dark-types and hits Grumpig and Hypno for least a 3HKO, or you can simply explode on them. (Though the sentence is fine, I'm just not sure on the way it sounds. Perhaps try "Signal Beam destroys Dark types and hits Grumpig and Hypno for a least a 3HKO, but if all else fails, you can simply explode on them.")</p>

[Other Option]
<p>Grass Knot is still (not needed) a good option for hitting Water and Ground types. Ice Beam OHKOs Altaria and hurts Grass- and Ground-types. (I'm not sure you need this sentence, since Ice Beam is mentioned in the first two sets, and people probably understand it can be used elsewhere too.) Shadow Ball hits Ghosts and is a stronger option to hit Grumpig and Hypno with (not needed) but still has the chance of only 3HKOing. Charge Beam is an alternate means of boosting Special Attack and puts a dent in Mantine. Lunatone is a decent Trick Room user if you're basing your team around slow, powerful attackers. Cosmic Power is also available for Baton Passing, but is generally inferior to Calm Mind.</p>

[EVs]
<p>For most sets, lots of HP and Special Attack is beneficial. 68 Speed EVs outruns minimum Speed Blastoise, which is the most you'll usually need. 136 EVs is enough to beat Adamant Crawdaunt's maximum, and outruns Modest Omastar and Gorebyss. The Substitute Calm Mind set needs 248 Speed EVs to outrun Jolly Purugly by 2 points, 232 EVs to beat Timid Froslass by 1 point, 204 EVs to beat Jolly Rapidash by 1 point, or 176 EVs to beat Timid Ninetails by 2 points, as well as slower Pokemon. If you're using Lunatone in OU, then 184 EVs will allow you outrun Adamant Tyranitar. You can drop some Special Attack EVs and put them in Defense for the Support or Baton Pass sets.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Lunatone received some new toys from the fourth generation to bash its counters with which will make switching into Lunatone a little harder, let alone defeating it (This sentence has parallelism errors and I believe the first independant clause ends with "with," a preposition, which is grammatically incorrect, iirc. Try "Lunatone received some new toys from the fourth generation with which to bash its counter, making switching into Lunatone a little harder, let alone defeating it."). Although Lunatone's defenses may be somewhat lacking, it makes up for this with good type resists and Levitate. Other than Hypnosis staying at a paltry 60%, Lunatone definitely improved. His Rock-typing also gives him the benefit from Sandstorm in OU and can be used as an annoyance against Heatran in particular.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Hypno and Grumpig are still Lunatone's biggest counters thanks to their resistance to Psychic and high Special Defense. Hypno also has the added advantage of being immune to Hypnosis, thanks to Insomnia. Insomnia Banette also fares well and can batter Lunatone with Shadow Claw, but has to watch out for Shadow Ball. Dark-types, especially those with Pursuit, can be a problem. Drapion and Skuntank are both good choices if Lunatone lacks Earth Power. Sharpedo and Crawdaunt are both immune to Psychic and resistant to Ice Beam, but have to be aware of Signal Beam and Grass Knot. Steel-types will wall any set that lacks Earth Power.</p>
Comments are in blue, corrections are in red. There are a lot of dashes that may be hard to see, so be on the lookout for those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)