Lugia @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 196 HP / 4 Def / 148 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Aeroblast
- Earth Power
- Recover

Lugia may seem like an odd choice for a sweeper, but the most common set these days utilizes Weakness Policy and Calm Mind to improve its damage and bulk, as well as Speed with Max Airstream. The given EV spread outspeeds Zapdos and avoids a 2HKO from unboosted Calyrex-S via Multiscale. Reliable checks to this set are narrowed down to Tyranitar and defensive teams. Lugia appreciates teammates that ease its setup, share offensive synergy, and punish the aforementioned checks. Mimikyu is a good lead to cripple a foe for Lugia to set up on, Zacian-C and Urshifu-S punish Tyranitar, and Incineroar can punish offensive Calyrex-S and ease setup with Intimidate and Parting Shot. Ferrothorn and Gothitelle improve the team's matchup against stall thanks to them handling Chansey and Quagsire, and the former can also deal with Tyranitar well. Zygarde deserves a mention for threatening Tyranitar, its offensive and defensive synergy with Lugia, and Glare, which eases Lugia's setup.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna check this now, sorry for the wait! Blame the Magikarp tournament LOL!

- I'd change the first line a bit, because Weakness Policy is actually Lugia's most common thing (even if defensive sets have made waves on the high ladder). I think pointing out that Lugia being offensive is weird in a general sense is a good idea since not every reader is going to have a good grasp of BSS, but I think you should still mention that offensive Lugia is actually a very standard idea in this metagame!

- An important note about Calyrex-S: it only fails to 2HKO when Multiscale is active. An important distinction!

-The Zacian factor is actually not as clear cut as you'd expect. It is true that Zacian-C itself is not really a great Lugia check, but bulky Zacian-Cs DOES have a shot at surviving +1 Max Airstream + Max Quake if it's at full health. There are situations where Zacian-C can revenge Lugia if Zacian-C is bulky and healthy, so it might be a good idea to just remove that mention.

- This escaped me when we talked on Discord, but Incineroar is probably a good teammate to mention as well. The Intimidate eases set up, its REALLY good at getting Lugia in with Parting Shot, and it helps deal with Calyrex-S when Multiscale is down.

Anyways, lemme know when you implement this stuff and I'll give you a stamp!

Gonna check this now, sorry for the wait! Blame the Magikarp tournament LOL!

- I'd change the first line a bit, because Weakness Policy is actually Lugia's most common thing (even if defensive sets have made waves on the high ladder). I think pointing out that Lugia being offensive is weird in a general sense is a good idea since not every reader is going to have a good grasp of BSS, but I think you should still mention that offensive Lugia is actually a very standard idea in this metagame!

- An important note about Calyrex-S: it only fails to 2HKO when Multiscale is active. An important distinction!

-The Zacian factor is actually not as clear cut as you'd expect. It is true that Zacian-C itself is not really a great Lugia check, but bulky Zacian-Cs DOES have a shot at surviving +1 Max Airstream + Max Quake if it's at full health. There are situations where Zacian-C can revenge Lugia if Zacian-C is bulky and healthy, so it might be a good idea to just remove that mention.

- This escaped me when we talked on Discord, but Incineroar is probably a good teammate to mention as well. The Intimidate eases set up, its REALLY good at getting Lugia in with Parting Shot, and it helps deal with Calyrex-S when Multiscale is down.

Anyways, lemme know when you implement this stuff and I'll give you a stamp!
Donezo
I would be a little more specifc on a few of the points but I think I did what I could to fit it all in for 1001 characters I have atm, if you think something less important should be omitted for something more relevant lmk.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oops sorry, got distracted by other stuff, thanks for the highlight!

So, here's a few lines I'd cut or change to reduce the character count. Stuff to change will be in bold green.. I'm not GP mind you, but I'm just suggesting this so we can fit in more details!

Lugia @ Weakness Policy
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Aeroblast
- Earth Power
- Recover

Lugia may seem like an odd choice for a sweeper, but the most common set these days utilizes Weakness Policy and Calm Mind to improve its damage and bulk, as well as Speed with Max Airstream. The given EV spread outspeeds Zapdos and avoids a 2HO from offensive item Calyrex-S via Multiscale. Reliable checks to this set is narrowed to Tyranitar and defensive teams. This Lugia appreciates teammates that ease its setup, share offensive synergy, and punish the aforementioned checks. Mimikyu is a good lead to cripple a foe for Lugia to set up on, Zacian-C and Urshifu-S punish Tyranitar, Incineroar can check Calyrex-S and ease setup with Intimidate and Parting Shot, and Gothitelle improves the team's matchup against stall. Zygarde deserves a mention for threatening Tyranitar, its offensive and defensive synergy with Lugia, and Glare that eases Lugia's setup.
This is 863 characters, a savings of 140! This could let us mention 2 extra teammates!

- Ferrothorn, who does well against a lot of Tyranitar, and does well against defensive cores Chansey + Quagsire.

-Ditto, who can severely punish Calyrex-S that carry an offensive item.

Anyways, highlight me here or on discord when you make those changes, and THIS time I'll give you the stamp!

EDIT: QC Approved 1/1!

Last edited:

dex

Hard as Vince Carter’s knee cartilage is
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Lugia @ Weakness Policy
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Aeroblast
- Earth Power
- Recover

Lugia may seem like an odd choice for a sweeper, but the most common set these days utilizes Weakness Policy and Calm Mind to improve its damage and bulk, as well as Speed with Max Airstream. The given EV spread outspeeds Zapdos and avoids a 2HO from offensive item Calyrex-S via Multiscale. Reliable checks to this set is narrowedare narrowed down to Tyranitar and defensive teams. This Lugia appreciates teammates that ease its setup, share offensive synergy, and punish the aforementioned checks. Mimikyu is a good lead to cripple a foe for Lugia to set up on, Zacian-C and Urshifu-S punish Tyranitar and Ditto, and Incineroar can punish Calyrex-S using an offensive item and the latter canoffensive Calyrex-S and ease setup with Intimidate and Parting Shot. Ferrothorn and Gothitelle improve the team's matchup against stall thanks to them handling Chansey and Quagsire, and the former can also deal with Tyranitar well. Zygarde deserves a mention for threatening Tyranitar, its offensive and defensive synergy with Lugia, and Glare that, which eases Lugia's setup.

1/1
GP Team done

Tyranitar and Ditto,
Thanks for the quick check, only made a small fix in OP about removing Ditto mention because the two ‘mons mentioned before don’t exactly punish it (they still do well vs ttar though)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)